Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for faders : SL Mixface

I am looking for an external Bluetooth hardware with a lot of faders and buttons to help me control AUM and other kind of apps. I am tempted to bug a Korg nanoKONTROL Studio Midi but it looks a little bit “too cheap”...what good alternative would you suggest (portability is key). Budget...well, let us be reasonable

Comments

• @cuscolima I did a few google searches and did not find very many bluetooth controllers with lots of sliders and buttons. Seems the Korg Studio is the best option if you are dead set on bluetooth.

Maybe take a look at the SL MixFace. It has bluetooth but not sure its iOS compatibility.
    https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/mixface/

• edited May 2019

That's not Bluetooth, brother. But yeah, there are few/no other BT options to my knowledge.

@cuscolima re: the Korg... Now I'm not a big fan of it either for other reasons, but I think it's considerably sturdy. Not exactly a tank but I think it can take a little knock in a bag. Have you tried handling one in store to get a tactile experience with it? Because I don't know any other BT controller for sliders. Probably check a Kickstarter project or something.
    Non-Bluetooth is probably better, as @loveschack suggestion or a Novation Launch Control

• edited May 2019

Thanks all. Yes, unfortunately it seems that there are no other brands that are producing a Bluetooth controller. This is weird! I have the feeling that there is a huge potential for a good midi controller with quality faders

• @cuscolima I agree that there is a hole in the market. That SL MixFace does look appealing. Has bluetooth and can host a keyboard. Seems like a pretty legit product. Runs on batteries as well.

• edited May 2019

@gmslayton said:
    Maybe take a look at the SL MixFace. It has bluetooth but not sure its iOS compatibility.

This one looks great, thanks!

• @gmslayton said:
    @cuscolima I agree that there is a hole in the market. That SL MixFace does look appealing. Has bluetooth and can host a keyboard. Seems like a pretty legit product. Runs on batteries as well.

Right, we have here a serious candidate...and it works with iOS according this video

Very tempting. Does anyone have experience with this brand ?

• @gmslayton said:

Cool, I had forgotten about this. This would be perfect, though I’m not sure I really need this. It’s something to consider though. By the time I would spend the money on the Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI adapters I could just get one of these instead and have more options available.

• I think its going on my short list of hardware to buy.

• If you can live without Bluetooth, the Novation Launch Control XL is the best option for iOS. I’ve owned or built a gazillion controllers and it’s the best I could find...

Or, your next best option if you have to have BT, is to buy a dirt cheap used iPad and use it to run MidiDesigner Pro. It’s not tactile but it’s infinitely flexible and wireless...

• Ordered ;0)

Will let you know how it is (5 days delivery time). Thanks @gmslayton for the info

• Here it is...nice piece of gear

• I'm really intrigued by the Mixface, how do you like it so far? Can it be powered by the iPad over USB? Does it power a hosted MIDI keyboard?

• @eddielovesyou said:
    I'm really intrigued by the Mixface, how do you like it so far? Can it be powered by the iPad over USB? Does it power a hosted MIDI keyboard?

So far I can say that it is good quality material. You can create different configurations that you can recall during a life session. Bluetooth works very well and the tool is perfect with AUM. I like it a lot so far

• edited May 2019

I won’t hear a bad word about the Korg nanoKONTROL Studio, its my most used piece of hardware along with its sister nanoKEY Studio

Weird there isn't much competition however.

EDIT: the only downer I can think of is that it needs a Mac/PC to edit the scene’s CCs etc. Could really use an iOS version. Not that it matters as much now with AUM and MIDI learn.

• @cuscolima said:
    Here it is...nice piece of gear

For size comparison, what model iPad is in your photo above?

• Ipad 12’9.
    You don’t need to connect the mixface to a PC to configure it. Everything can be done on the display

• @eddielovesyou said:
    I'm really intrigued by the Mixface, how do you like it so far? Can it be powered by the iPad over USB? Does it power a hosted MIDI keyboard?

Yes, you can power the mixface with the ipad if you want. And yes, you can power a keyboard from it and make a chain (see pics)

• @cuscolima said:

@eddielovesyou said:

Yes, you can power the mixface with the ipad if you want. And yes, you can power a keyboard from it and make a chain (see pics)

Seriously looks like a perfect minimal setup. I'm jealous mostly because I have twice as much kit in controllers which also takes up trice as much space :s

• I want one of these but it’s double the price of the Korg NanoKontrol Studio, might just get the Korg as I already have a Korg NanoKey studio and Korg.
    If I can catch one on sale I will definitely pick one up but reg price $399 CAD is expensive.

• This controller is really cool and the programming possibilities are huge but to be honest I am facing signal instabilities when playing with the keyboard. I am checking this with the support as it is not usable at the moment (Bluetooth and USB). Hopefully they will provide a firmware update

• @cuscolima said:

@eddielovesyou said:

• You need a Ipad pro to power the mixface + the keyboard. It doesn’t work with my old ipad 4.

• @cuscolima said:
    You need a Ipad pro to power the mixface + the keyboard. It doesn’t work with my old ipad 4.

Even with the mixface running on batteries?

• @cuscolima said:

To confirm, then, this is easy to use with AUM? If so, I’m going to grab it. Looks good.

• @DMan said:

@cuscolima said:
    You need a Ipad pro to power the mixface + the keyboard. It doesn’t work with my old ipad 4.

Even with the mixface running on batteries?

You are right, it works on my old iPad if you run on batteries. In fact the iPad is powering the keyboard and the mixface run on its batteries.

• @audio_DT said:

@cuscolima said:

To confirm, then, this is easy to use with AUM? If so, I’m going to grab it. Looks good.

It is very easy to use mixface with AUM. You can cc whatever you want. In AUM you can then save templates and recall then with all cc correctly configured

• @cuscolima said:

@audio_DT said:

@cuscolima said:

It is very easy to use mixface with AUM. You can cc whatever you want. In AUM you can then save templates and recall then with all cc correctly configured

Sold! Thanks, Cuscolima.

• Another option is want a Bluetooth controller with faders to to buy Novation Launch Control XL and a Yamaha UD-BT01 USB Bluetooth adapter - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UDBT01--yamaha-ud-bt01-wireless-bluetooth-usb-to-host-midi-adapter

While a few more cables are involved, this setup runs a bit cheaper and you get more knobs and functions.

The Mixface looks slick but for the price it would be nice to have motorized faders.