Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

whoa! out NOW! Sugar Bytes Factory - Modular Synthesizer for iOS

Comments

• @Martinj said:
    Two instances of Factory (controlled by Rozeta Particles) with some Ambient Guitar...

That's very nice, and impressive for an Air 2 - I'll grab the IAP shortly.

What effects are you using in Tonestack? I like the Fripp/eBow sound you're getting there...

• Some one tell me what app is this most like?

Gonna grab today just wondering

• @MonzoPro said:

@Martinj said:
    Two instances of Factory (controlled by Rozeta Particles) with some Ambient Guitar...

What effects are you using in Tonestack? I like the Fripp/eBow sound you're getting there...

The swell is done with FAC Envolver. In the video below I explain how it is done and you can download the preset from the YouTube description. For the „Factory“ video I had to replace STARK with ToneStack because 2 instances of Factory, Stark and all the other effects brought the Air 2 actually too close to CPU overload.

• I was able to resist Aparillo (seems interesting, but wasn’t sure I’d get much use out of it), but the pull is stronger with this one.

• @Martinj
    Wow! Toll!
    Really like how you improvise around the rozeta generative sequences. Really good!
    Calming track/jam.

Did you use the factory presets, or did you create your own?

• @david_2017 said:
    @Martinj
    Wow! Toll!
    Really like how you improvise around the rozeta generative sequences. Really good!
    Calming track/jam.

Did you use the factory presets, or did you create your own?

Dankeschön 😊

Factory Presets („Drona“ and „Dronetone“) with additional effects and very minor knob tweaking....my skills in synth programming are somewhat limited....

• @jipumarino said:
    Oh man, at first I thought it was like really modular

I’d compare its semi-modular bona-fides to something like Thor., though factory has better sounding filters and effects imo, and a much easier to manipulate routing matrix. the Postive/Negative matrix bubbles are ingenius , making for very quick and efficient on the fly changes.

It can do a wonderful job at bread and butter stock sounds, but its strengths are the out of this world west coast happy accidents and gorgeous soundscapes. Reminds me a bit of the sound of Propellerhead’s brilliant complex-1

The A+B Morph feature makes me wish it had a regular sampling engine in addition to the granular/wavetable synthesis, ala Octatrack ;) Factory is amazing as-is though.

• @Martinj said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Martinj said:

The swell is done with FAC Envolver. In the video below I explain how it is done and you can download the preset from the YouTube description. For the „Factory“ video I had to replace STARK with ToneStack because 2 instances of Factory, Stark and all the other effects brought the Air 2 actually too close to CPU overload.

ok cheers, haven't got Stark anyway.

I think if I can run two instances of Factory, and maybe a Brambos app or two I'll be happy. Time to wrench the padlocks off my wallet...

• edited May 2019

Wonderful Doug!

• Factory is flat out incredible. So far this is my favorite of the Sugar Bytes synths - can be as spacey as Aparillo, as insane as Cyclop, as vocal as Unique, but it also has the most musical tones I've ever heard out of a SB synth.

Just brilliant.

• edited May 2019

@ZenEagle said:

@jipumarino said:

I’d compare its semi-modular bona-fides to something like Thor., though factory has better sounding filters and effects imo, and a much easier to manipulate routing matrix. the Postive/Negative matrix bubbles are ingenius , making for very quick and efficient on the fly changes.

It can do a wonderful job at bread and butter stock sounds, but its strengths are the out of this world west coast happy accidents and gorgeous soundscapes. Reminds me a bit of the sound of Propellerhead’s brilliant complex-1

The A+B Morph feature makes me wish it had a regular sampling engine in addition to the granular/wavetable synthesis, ala Octatrack ;) Factory is amazing as-is though.

True, I ended up caving in anyway :)
    My only gripe with it is the blurred UI, which Aparillo and Cyclop have as well, so I don't expect it to be fixed soon.

• @jipumarino said:

@ZenEagle said:

@jipumarino said:

True, I ended up caving in anyway :)
    My only gripe with it is the blurred UI, which Aparillo and Cyclop have as well, so I don't expect it to be fixed soon.

The low res UI kinda bugs me on these too, to be honest. Is the AU version of the UI low resolution too?

I know it doesn’t really matter to the sound. Hell, maybe going lo-res with the graphics frees up resources? Still, it kinda bugs me. Their interface design is so fun... it deserves full resolution.

• @skiphunt said:

The low res UI kinda bugs me on these too, to be honest. Is the AU version of the UI low resolution too?

I know it doesn’t really matter to the sound. Hell, maybe going lo-res with the graphics frees up resources? Still, it kinda bugs me. Their interface design is so fun... it deserves full resolution.

Yeah shame about that, and I feel it works on desktop screens because the dpi is usually lower so it fits better. However I can live with it considering how great the plugins are :)

• @skiphunt said:

Yep

• I feel like the lo-res thing is just sorta their style - same across all their apps. I don't mind so much - having too much fun!

• @Bachus said:
    I hope sugar bytes will release more ios content
    Their egoist beat-box is incredible fun, and really really something that would work perfect on my ipad

You can pick up Egoist on iPad today, and it’s AUv3 too!

• I’m really excited about this, I love Sugar Bytes, almost always guaranteed baddass.

• I think this has quick rudely shoved aside Aparillo for my number one synth slot.

Ridiculously good.

• @Daveypoo said:
    I feel like the lo-res thing is just sorta their style - same across all their apps. I don't mind so much - having too much fun!

LOL! I don't think it's really a "style" call. It's recycling their desktop graphics instead of reworkin' them for higher res displays. I'm sure it was a resources/budget call.

Still, doesn't really matter. Just takes away a little of the "new app sheen" somewhat.

• edited May 2019

I never got Aparillo. Was waiting for a sale to be honest... but as far as I know there hasn't ever been one.

I really liked Aparillo too, but it seems like these sort of apps are just so well stocked with very interesting presets, that you almost don't need to do anything other than pick a preset and hold down a key. Kinda feels like... well... I'm gonna leave it at that since I don't have a problem using the sweet Blocs Wave packs either. ;)

Granted, this is still brand spankin' new... but if you had a choice between ONLY Aparillo OR Factory... which would you pick for the IAP?

I watched a couple of the tutorial videos in the manual, and the sounds are very similar to Aparillo, but it looks like Factory has the capability of going a bit deeper with more variety possibilities. True?

• edited May 2019

skiphunt:
    Aparillo is more for cinematic/organic/dronish/metallic post-FM sounds.
    (think ambient, movie soundtrack, experiments, evolving sound design...)
    it is FM synthesis implemented in their own way, quite original take.
    also very easy to come with new sounds or to play it live and get new tones via its "Orbiter"
    Factory is more for hm- anything else. Still very organic life via its mod matrix and very particular fx section! It could do standard VA sounds, wavetable, sort of granular, etc but you'll squeeze it very very far via its "mutations" and "morph". And the fx section and modulations are one of a kind!
    Very good also for physical modelling!!! (not too many for this around...)

They complement each other I would say.
    Watch tutorials demos and chose the one that sounds your way...
    ( I use the both, Aparillo for droning and Factory for sharper shorter sounds or physmod sounds...)

There will be a fixed version of Factory -> 1.0.1 the very next days!
    ( with saving bug fixed and other tweaks )

Meanwhile, save should work if you either close the preset browser before saving
    or try to click save in less than 3 till 5 seconds. Or use the standalone.

plus new CPU test:
    iPad Air1 - AUM - 512 buffer
    1 instance of Factory with interface open = 33% CPU
    1 instance of Factory with interface closed = 50% CPU
    so- not bad at all in AUV3 version.

• edited May 2019

@waka_x said:
    skiphunt:
    Aparillo is more for cinematic/organic/dronish/metallic post-FM sounds.
    (think ambient, movie soundtrack, experiments, evolving sound design...)
    it is FM synthesis implemented in their own way, quite original take.
    also very easy to come with new sounds or to play it live and get new tones via its "Orbiter"
    Factory is more for hm- anything else. Still very organic life via its mod matrix and very particular fx section! It could do standard VA sounds but you'll squeeze it very very far via its "mutations" and "morph".
    Very good also for physical modelling!

They complement each other I would say.

Yeah. Very similar sounds in some ways, but the different workflow produces very different results.

With Aparillo, I tended to tweak presets a bit, but with this one I’m up to my knees in the matrix, tweaking like a lunatic. Never managed to get sounds like this out of an iPad before.

• @skiphunt I feel like Factory can make all the noise that Aparillo makes but it can also make more consistently musical sounds as well. I love the cinematic HUGENESS of Aparillo, and that can easily be achieved here, but you can also make this sound like a regular 'ol synth, so the range of usefulness here is just MASSIVE.

Short answer: knowing what I know now, I'd choose Factory over Aparillo.

• edited May 2019

For any Air 2 users watching : I was just able to fun 4 instances without crackling, and all playing (internal) arp sequences.

Two and a few Brambos/AudioDamage AU’s would be enough for me, so very happy with that.

• edited May 2019

@MonzoPro said:
    For any Air 2 users watching : I was just able to fun 4 instances without crackling, and all playing (internal) arp sequences.

Two and a few Brambos/AudioDamage AU’s would be enough for me, so very happy with that.

Seems more CPU efficient than Aparillo on my 10.5 Pro. I think I am hitting an AU memory limit more than anything. Very happy with it. Tis the ballah.

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

Seems more CPU efficient than Aparillo on my 10.5 Pro. I think I am hitting an AU memory limit more than anything. Very happy with it. Tis the ballah.

Yeah I can only run a couple of Aparillo’s. I’ll do a proper test tonight, but looking good so far.

• The sequencer is really nice, would be great if Thesys inherited a bit of this gui :)

• The filter knob is magic!

• S'funny, there are some apps that are almost too good for me. I play with them for a little while and get out of my depth, put it down with an-out-loud-to-myself OK that's just ridiculous....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    S'funny, there are some apps that are almost too good for me. I play with them for a little while and get out of my depth, put it down with an-out-loud-to-myself OK that's just ridiculous....

That’s a bit of a Sugarbytes synth ‘thing’ for me - half of the fun is in exploring the app and mucking about with it. I’ve hardly ever used Cyclop in a track, but had weeks of fun messing with it. Aparillo has ticked both boxes - fun to tweak, and usable.

I spent a couple of hours last night messing with the Factory demo, now it’s time to record some usable noises. I think this is a double box ticker too.