Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Chameleon AUv3 Sampler Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• Sounds like fixes coming allying our way...
    Thanksgiving @samu for clarification 👍🏼

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's on sale for £5.99 at the moment

• Does this have automatable pitch control yet?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just gone on sale :)

• Elsa is really nice but you can only do one sample per instance, although you can split it with triggerable dividers (haven't really used that properly yet). So it can't compete with Audiolayer for realism but I really like it as a playable instrument. :)

• edited May 2019

@Carnbot said:
    but you can only do one sample per instance

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you Carnbot.

Elsa can utilise more than one sample. If you tap on the icon in the top right, Elsa allows the user to choose one of three modes; ‘one sample set’, which is one sample mapped to the keys ( no matter how many octaves you’ve chosen ), ‘one sample set per note’, which can be one different sample for each key, ‘one sample set per octave’, which can be a different sample for each octave.

The confusing part, is that in order to play a ‘multi-sample’ in elsa, the user needs to import that ‘multi sample’ as a single file. Then, the user would edit the start and end point for each key on the keyboard. Each key has its own start and end point.

A simple example;

Record yourself counting from 1 to 10 via the record button in elsa ( or import a pre-recorded file from audioshare ). Choose ‘one sample set per note’, choose the number of octaves you wish to utilise ( choose one octave for simplicity ), choose the octave you need for tuning purposes.

Now press the furthest left key ( on elsa’s Keyboard, AUM’s, whatever you’re using ) and move your start and end point so that it plays only the recorded ‘1’, press your next key to the right, move the start and end point for that key until it aligns with your recorded ‘2’. Repeat for each recorded ‘1 to 10’. Multi-sample.

Try the same approach with a drum loop, synth sequence, guitar melody, etc.

Utilise the same approach for ‘one sample set per octave’.

Even more flexibility now that elsa is an AUv3.

• @frond said:

@Carnbot said:

Elsa can utilise more than one sample. If you tap on the icon in the top right, Elsa allows the user to choose one of three modes; ‘one sample set’, which is one sample mapped to the keys ( no matter how many octaves you’ve chosen ), ‘one sample set per note’, which can be one different sample for each key, ‘one sample set per octave’, which can be a different sample for each octave.

The confusing part, is that in order to play a ‘multi-sample’ in elsa, the user needs to import that ‘multi sample’ as a single file. Then, the user would edit the start and end point for each key on the keyboard. Each key has its own start and end point.

A simple example;

Record yourself counting from 1 to 10 via the record button in elsa ( or import a pre-recorded file from audioshare ). Choose ‘one sample set per note’, choose the number of octaves you wish to utilise ( choose one octave for simplicity ), choose the octave you need for tuning purposes.

Now press the furthest left key ( on elsa’s Keyboard, AUM’s, whatever you’re using ) and move your start and end point so that it plays only the recorded ‘1’, press your next key to the right, move the start and end point for that key until it aligns with your recorded ‘2’. Repeat for each recorded ‘1 to 10’. Multi-sample.

Dang I really need to get Elsa I think you just convinced me haha

• @frond said:

@Carnbot said:

A simple example;

Yes, I meant that it’s one single sample file, which I think is the workflow which puts me off using multi samples that way up til now. Although that doesn’t mean I don’t like it. Just that having AudioLayer, it’s much easier to do multi sampled instruments with that. I really like the drag and drop from Files app in Elsa, would be nice if one day you could drag multiple samples in that way. Will definitely be using it more though with the techniques you mentioned :)

• edited May 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

But E-L-S-A also doesn’t really convince me on paper...wish there were some proper videos of it out there...

The developer of Elsa, like many iOS developers, undersells his applications. App description are often poor.

Elsa can be very deep if you want to utilise it in an in depth manner. It can also be fast and fun. It’s worth more than price tag IMO. I wish elsa had a few more features. I’ve found ERik to be receptive to some requests, so I’ll ask about a few more.

In many ways elsa is similar to ableton live simpler and impulse. It’s missing some of the control aspects of simpler, it doesn’t have time stretch, the envelopes don’t decay, sustain as long as I would like, etc. These are small complaints though, Elsa is brilliant!

With regard to 4pockets chameleon; I don’t own it. I’ve been curious, but I can’t find a manual to determine which missing sampler pieces it might contain. Chameleon has time stretch. It seems to allow mono or poly ( elsa does not allow mono ), but I can’t discern if it allows 1, 2, 3, etc. voices. ( I like that feature in simpler/sampler ).

Until I can find out more I’ll make due with elsa and audiolayer.

Elsa really comes to life when a step sequencer + midi cc is incorporated - quantum, Rozeta, StepBud, midisteps, modstep, or linear sequencer if preferred.

• edited May 2019

@frond where did you see that chameleon has timestretch?

I have it and it’s great but I can’t see timestretch?

@EyeOhEss no forward backward sample looping which is its biggest oversight for me

Do 4pockets visit here? It seems like something they might add.

The presets are well worth the sale price imo

• @gregsmith

I’m sorry Greg, I thought that I had read timestretch. I don’t see it in
    the app description, so I was mistaken.

A few questions if you’re willing;

Does Chameleon allow
    looping of the sample (forward)? Down to a single waveform cycle?

Velocity control of amplitude, pitch, sample?

Selectable voices - 1, 2, 3, etc., or mono and poly only?

Midi cc over start and end?

• got chameleon and was very surprised to find the most glaring lack of any ability to pitch samples.

No tuning, no pitch envelopes, not really very useful.. ah well, my own fault for being presumptuous.

• @frond said:
    @gregsmith

I’m sorry Greg, I thought that I had read timestretch. I don’t see it in
    the app description, so I was mistaken.

A few questions if you’re willing;

Does Chameleon allow
    looping of the sample (forward)? Down to a single waveform cycle?

Velocity control of amplitude, pitch, sample?

Selectable voices - 1, 2, 3, etc., or mono and poly only?

Midi cc over start and end?

It lets you control the looping start and end points really precisely, with zooming

None of the other things are there that I can see. Not sure how it works with velocity etc but sounds good to me!

• @gregsmith said:
    It lets you control the looping start and end points really precisely, with zooming

Thanks Greg.

Control loop start and end points with midi?

• Nice update :)

• @White said:
    Nice update :)

It really is a 'Chameleon', and yes it's a very nice update :)

• Nice!
    I messaged the developer a few days ago and asked about pitch control and here it is, top developer :)

• edited May 2019

Growing more and more impressed with this developer. I may have to go buy all their stuff

• Top update getting very useful.

• @frond said:

@gregsmith said:

Thanks Greg.

Control loop start and end points with midi?

Not sure to be honest. I don’t think so. Would be cool!

I contacted the developer about forward reverse loop mode and he’s going to add it in the next release.

Top class!

• @gregsmith said:

I contacted the developer about forward reverse loop mode and he’s going to add it in the next release.

Top class!

Velocity -> Sample Start and a Pitch-Envelope could be handy and an option to do real vibrato as the current vibrato behaves more like tremolo.

For setting the sample loop points it would be quite handy to 'overlay graphics' of the loop.

Chameleon is a gift that keeps on giving...

• I had a good feeling about Chameleon from the jump and the app is unfolding wonderfully.

• How do you share a preset from iPad to iPhone versions?

• @klownshed said:
    How do you share a preset from iPad to iPhone versions?

I haven’t tried it yet tbh, but you can export to iCloud or whatever then import on the other device.

This is absolutely crucial for my workflow.

• edited May 2019

@gregsmith said:

@klownshed said:

I haven’t tried it yet tbh, but you can export to iCloud or whatever then import on the other device.

I can’t find any options to export a preset Anywhere.

EDIT

I think I found it. There’s a button labelled ‘Backup’ in the loop point editor.

There’s a perfectly good preset menu. It belongs there, or in the preset section. But nope, apparently it’s a part of loop point editing. I think the UI designer used to work on button placements in 1970s super cars.

• @klownshed said:

@gregsmith said:

@klownshed said:

I can’t find any options to export a preset Anywhere.

EDIT

I think I found it. There’s a button labelled ‘Backup’ in the loop point editor.

There’s a perfectly good preset menu. It belongs there, or in the preset section. But nope, apparently it’s a part of loop point editing. I think the UI designer used to work on button placements in 1970s super cars.

Agreed it should be in the preset section next to save. Great that you can backup an entire sample bank in one go though eh?