Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Sync?

I've held on too long for the possibility that there would eventually be a solution to the problem of syncing AUM with external gear.

It's just never synced well to my hardware master clock (even using link sync, it drops the connection and lags behind with tempo changes.)

I'm finally jumping back to Audiobus now that it has a really solid sync, even though overall AB3 feels much more clunky to me. AUM feels more fluid and simply easier on my eyes and on the brain. Main thing I'll miss are the busses and resizable UI's, but I'll still likely use AUM as a mixer for audiobus so I can still use unclocked audio fx and record audio.

Just wondering before I start to rebuild/route my fairly dense setup in AB3, if anyone out there has solutions they've found for slaving AUM to an external clock without drift and stutter.

I know ApeMatrix is an option as well, but I'm enticed by the new Audibus midi implementation. My desired setup is to use external midi gear to control things, with as little app switching and menu diving on the ipad as possible. I love the ability AB3 has to switch apps and presets over midi.

Not really much of a question I know, just curious how other people out there are merging iOS with their hardware successfully.

Comments

• AUM does not officially support syncing to MIDI Clock.

Being able to sync to incoming MIDI Clock has always been one of the first things I check with any new app. Many developers don't care, maybe most people just don't use their iPads with external groove box type gear.
    My choice of apps that do support sync to external clock are mainly:
    apeMatrix (for me it's the better alternative to AUM)
    Groove Rider (one of the best and most solid implementations because offset can be adjusted precisely. Fantastic wavetable synth and great sample slicer)
    Korg Gadget (version 3.7.2 is still my main compositiin tool)
    Genome MIDI (pattern-based, both realtime and very fast step recording)
    Loopy HD (one of the very few apps that will time-stretch audio to match incoming bpm)
    Stroke Machine (great for drum synthesis with sample support)
    Arturia iSpark (great for sampled, multi-velocity drums and percussion)
    Nord Beat 3 (if I want it extremely simple)
    Xynthesizr (playful melodies)
    Oscilab (experimental, generative melodies)
    thor synth (arp/sequencer and LFOs sync to clock)

• If AudioBus sync is really solid, then hosting AUM inside it should be completely solid as well. You could take a hybrid approach.

• @wim said:
    If AudioBus sync is really solid, then hosting AUM inside it should be completely solid as well. You could take a hybrid approach.

..Tried that, and ran into some issues.
    I like to use clocked delays and other fx in AUM and using Link, sync is pretty iffy and AUM doesn't consistently listen to sync and start/stop commands.

Also, I'm trying to keep cpu to a minimum and adding more hosts always adds problems from my experience. I'm going for something that is stable enough to use in a live setting.

• edited April 2019

@rs2000 said:
    AUM does not officially support syncing to MIDI Clock.

Being able to sync to incoming MIDI Clock has always been one of the first things I check with any new app. Many developers don't care, maybe most people just don't use their iPads with external groove box type gear.
    My choice of apps that do support sync to external clock are mainly:
    apeMatrix (for me it's the better alternative to AUM)
    Groove Rider (one of the best and most solid implementations because offset can be adjusted precisely. Fantastic wavetable synth and great sample slicer)
    Korg Gadget (version 3.7.2 is still my main compositiin tool)
    Genome MIDI (pattern-based, both realtime and very fast step recording)
    Loopy HD (one of the very few apps that will time-stretch audio to match incoming bpm)
    Stroke Machine (great for drum synthesis with sample support)
    Arturia iSpark (great for sampled, multi-velocity drums and percussion)
    Nord Beat 3 (if I want it extremely simple)
    Xynthesizr (playful melodies)
    Oscilab (experimental, generative melodies)
    thor synth (arp/sequencer and LFOs sync to clock)

thanks for the list of syncable apps! much appreciated. I might try an ApeMatrix setup as well, but I wish it had preset control like Audiobus does, as well as the ability to call up plugins via midi.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@palm said:

@wim said:
    If AudioBus sync is really solid, then hosting AUM inside it should be completely solid as well. You could take a hybrid approach.

..Tried that, and ran into some issues.
    I like to use clocked delays and other fx in AUM and using Link, sync is pretty iffy and AUM doesn't consistently listen to sync and start/stop commands.

Also, I'm trying to keep cpu to a minimum and adding more hosts always adds problems from my experience. I'm going for something that is stable enough to use in a live setting.

But, if you turn Link off in AUM, it should follow AudioBus’s tempo perfectly. One of the good things about IAA sync is it’s tight, and automatic. It was probably Link getting in the way and fighting with IAA and/or midi clock. AUM does listen to AudioBus’s transport controls in the side bar.

If not, then it’s still worth hosting anything tempo dependent in AB, but keeping AUM in there for busing, etc.

• edited April 2019

@wim said:

But, if you turn Link off in AUM, it should follow AudioBus’s tempo perfectly. One of the good things about IAA sync is it’s tight, and automatic. It was probably Link getting in the way and fighting with IAA and/or midi clock. AUM does listen to AudioBus’s transport controls in the side bar.

yeah, it should.. but it simply doesn't. Not only does it not sync, without link enabled, there is no possibility of transport start/stop :(

If not, then it’s still worth hosting anything tempo dependent in AB, but keeping AUM in there for busing, etc.

yup, this is exactly what I'm setting up right now. I think everything's going to be OK, but I long for the day when I can do everything I need within one host.

• @palm said:

@wim said:

yeah, it should.. but it simply doesn't. Not only does it not sync, without link enabled, there is no possibility of transport start/stop :(

Link start/stop is in the current beta and will be available in the coming update. AUM does not sync to other IAA hosts. Currently, it's either keep AUM as master clock or use Ableton Link. I'm hoping to add MIDI clock slaving in the future.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    I'm hoping to add MIDI clock slaving in the future.

B)

• edited April 2019

@j_liljedahl said:

@palm said:

@wim said:

Link start/stop is in the current beta and will be available in the coming update.

Hope we get it soon... 😊

• @j_liljedahl said:

I'm hoping to add MIDI clock slaving in the future.

this is very welcome news :)

• Is there a way to sync multiple external hardware in AUM like AudioBus does.
    For now I’m long able to send the sync to only one external device.
    Anyone has a trick or knows if a future version of AUM handle this ?

• @Jeezs said:
    Is there a way to sync multiple external hardware in AUM like AudioBus does.
    For now I’m long able to send the sync to only one external device.
    Anyone has a trick or knows if a future version of AUM handle this ?

This is also an issue for me. AUM only allows me to send MIDI clock to one destination. Also, it never remembers the destination i select so it must be deselected each time I open AUM and sessions within it. Are you experiencing this too?

• @Jeezs @soundshaper
    One workaround is to use Midiflow, create virtual in/out ports, route virtual in to virtual out, send clock from AUM to this virtual port and in AUMs midi matrix distribute the clock from virtual port.

Just tried and it works fine. Also if the port is active while loading saved session, it will load port assignments too.
    Tried with free freEWI app... it didn't work instead I've seen the highest cpu peak ever 7752% lol

• @Daveypoo did a nice video on this very topic.

• @j_liljedahl said:

Link start/stop is in the current beta and will be available in the coming update. AUM does not sync to other IAA hosts. Currently, it's either keep AUM as master clock or use Ableton Link. I'm hoping to add MIDI clock slaving in the future.

Any news on this front? 😎

Adjustable offset (like grooverider) would be icing on the cake.

• Link Start/Stop and separate AU Midi lanes were added a few months ago. B)

• I was asking for midi sync slave but forgot to delete the rest out of the quote,sorry ;)

• No midi sync slave. But you can just load it into AudioBus and let AudioBus do the sync to Link.

• Why when loading ie funk drummer into Cubasis 2 does it sync
    But loading aum inside Cubasis then loading funk drummer into aum it won’t sync ?

Is aum blocking IAA sync messages ?

• @topaz said:
    Why when loading ie funk drummer into Cubasis 2 does it sync
    But loading aum inside Cubasis then loading funk drummer into aum it won’t sync ?

Yeah, I don’t think AUM responds to any Clock source other than Link.

• @palm said:
    I've held on too long for the possibility that there would eventually be a solution to the problem of syncing AUM with external gear.

It's just never synced well to my hardware master clock (even using link sync, it drops the connection and lags behind with tempo changes.)

I'm finally jumping back to Audiobus now that it has a really solid sync, even though overall AB3 feels much more clunky to me. AUM feels more fluid and simply easier on my eyes and on the brain. Main thing I'll miss are the busses and resizable UI's, but I'll still likely use AUM as a mixer for audiobus so I can still use unclocked audio fx and record audio.

Just wondering before I start to rebuild/route my fairly dense setup in AB3, if anyone out there has solutions they've found for slaving AUM to an external clock without drift and stutter.

I know ApeMatrix is an option as well, but I'm enticed by the new Audibus midi implementation. My desired setup is to use external midi gear to control things, with as little app switching and menu diving on the ipad as possible. I love the ability AB3 has to switch apps and presets over midi.

Not really much of a question I know, just curious how other people out there are merging iOS with their hardware successfully.

HERE IS MY METHOD TO MY MADNESS.

Always have a laptop with Ableton.

Some hardware to that for sync, some to iOS, some MIDI daisy chain ghetto rig for others and all of it syncs....

• That’s ridiculous as many will use AUM as a sub host.

So AUM needs to respond to external IAA clock.

Let’s hope the dev reads this post :-)

@CracklePot said:

• @topaz said:
    That’s ridiculous as many will use AUM as a sub host.

So AUM needs to respond to external IAA clock.

Let’s hope the dev reads this post :-)

@CracklePot said:

Well, I have been able to use Cubasis to start AUM playback by using AUM Transport control before.
    I would make a Midi Track in Cubasis, with a clip playing a single note at the start of the first measure. I would route the Midi Output to AUM. In AUM, I set the Play button to be triggered by this note. You have to manually match the BPM in both apps.
    There is a little latency you have to deal with when you record AUM channels onto the Cubasis Audio Tracks, though.

• Yeh I tried that with very messy results :-(

AUM needs to have an option to sync to IAA that’s all we need :-)

@CracklePot said:

Well, I have been able to use Cubasis to start AUM playback by using AUM Transport control before.
    I would make a Midi Track in Cubasis, with a clip playing a single note at the start of the first measure. I would route the Midi Output to AUM. In AUM, I set the Play button to be triggered by this note. You have to manually match the BPM in both apps.
    There is a little latency you have to deal with when you record AUM channels onto the Cubasis Audio Tracks, though.

• @topaz said:
    Yeh I tried that with very messy results :-(

AUM needs to have an option to sync to IAA that’s all we need :-)

@CracklePot said:

The day AUM slaves to MIDI clock as well as Groove Rider does I'll buy it!

• AudioBus 3 is the best solution and it has the benefits:

better sync'ing for IAA's and external hardware
    a nice little sidebar to offer the transport controls and GUI access to IAA's

It might seem like overkill since AUM and AB3 has a lot of feature overlap but the combination is really powerful

My perfect DAW is a stack of apps:

Xequence 2 for MIDI
    AB3 for sync and App switching
    AUM as the Host for AUv3's (and optional IAA's) and the mixer
    Loopy HD for audio recording/playback

I call it the BoB-DAW ("Best of the Best" Digital Audio Workstation")

@espiegel123 has made videos and documented training about this in the Wiki:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/loopy_aum_integration_with_audiobus_3

and @tja has provided configuration files to make the learning curve less painful:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/662659/#Comment_662659

Check it out... Much better than the monolithic DAW's for my needs. They all disappoint me
    with some missing capability or instability. "BoB's your uncle."

• Unfortunately AB3 doesn’t pass IAA Sync from Cubasis to ie funk drummer or GR16 either.

• @topaz said:
    Unfortunately AB3 doesn’t pass IAA Sync from Cubasis to ie funk drummer or GR16 either.

But it passes Link and/or Midi clock quite well to both. If you host Cubasis, funk drummer, and GR-16 and AUM in AB3, it’s possible to have them all sync quite nicely. Except that any tempo changes need to be made in Cubasis ‘cause it won’t follow anyone else.

• Could you please post an example setup of this because for the life of me I can’t get them to sync at all.

@wim said:

@topaz said:
    Unfortunately AB3 doesn’t pass IAA Sync from Cubasis to ie funk drummer or GR16 either.

But it passes Link and/or Midi clock quite well to both. If you host Cubasis, funk drummer, and GR-16 and AUM in AB3, it’s possible to have them all sync quite nicely. Except that any tempo changes need to be made in Cubasis ‘cause it won’t follow anyone else.

• @topaz said:
    Could you please post an example setup of this because for the life of me I can’t get them to sync at all.

@wim said:

@topaz said:

Maybe you can post pictures of your AB3 setup and screenshot if AB3s sync settings and the snapshots of the sync settings of each of the involved apps and a snapshot of your AUM setup