Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DELUGE: Did we talk about this? This is crazy

Comments

• @jollyDodger said:

it has it’s issues just like everything else. love it for the commute.

:o <3

• ^^ thing of beauty..

• @kobamoto said:

@Telstar5 said:
    You can order through Reverb.com although it seems they’re sold out till Christmas.I really do hate the display though. Anyone checked out Akai Force? Does it compare favorably ?

if there was only an akai force close to the size of the deluge , that thing is huge

@kobomato: Holy crap , I didn’t know the deluge was that small!

• edited April 2019

yeah I don't know what Akai was thinking, these kind of instruments usually run tightly connected to the culture and these days it's very important to be able to grab your beat machine and go, put time into it whenever you get a chance etc... hence the rise of the iOS platform .. these behemoth machines that devs are coming out with should be the minority on the production line not the majority imho. Who wants to get a new desk every time you buy a damn sampler grrrr

• edited May 2019

@jigglypuff said:
    I have most of the iOS music apps. Since I got the Deluge I don't use them much. Maybe a few minutes here or there. The Deluge is so much more interactive and rewarding when composing tracks. It really is a fine instrument that's a pleasure to use. With all of the new features arriving regularly, it is a better instrument now than when I originally purchased it.

@jigglypuff
    Would you please point out maybe 10 main reasons why you prefer the Deluge over the iPad?
    Sound quality, sequencing, overall workflow, haptics? What do you like, what are the specials and most important advantages for you?

Yesterday I sold my OP-1 from Teenage Engineering, so I’m on the way to order the Deluge instead. I really hope for an intuitive and effective workflow in sounddesign and sequencing and a sound quality what makes me happy. Love the size and the ability to work mobile with just one device. I’m also curious how the Deluge can work together with my iPad. I’m mostly interested in Ambient and Berlin School electronic music...

Thanks a lot for your feedback! 😊🙏
    Greetings from Berlin!

• edited May 2019

@chandroji The Deluge is dedicated to making music. Everything from the design of the case, the button and knob layout, and the firmware are purpose built. IMHO it's hard for the iPad to compete since it is a general purpose device. After you get used to the workflow the music flows naturally, at least in my case. The hardware doesn't get in the way. I find that it actually makes creativity easier. The developers are constantly adding new AMAZING features. For example the next new feature is live looping!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @jigglypuff said:
    @chandroji The Deluge is dedicated to making music. Everything from the design of the case, the button and knob layout, and the firmware are purpose built. IMHO it's hard for the iPad to compete since it is a general purpose device. After you get used to the workflow the music flows naturally, at least in my case. The hardware doesn't get in the way. I find that it actually makes creativity easier. The developers are constantly adding new AMAZING features. For example the next new feature is live looping!

Thanks a lot for for your feedback @jigglypuff ! 🙏
    I’ve watched almost all videos I could find about the Deluge on YT and I like what I’ve seen and heard so far. The sequencer grid looks useful and logical. I think I would love the overall overview when working with it. The sequencer is one of the most important Parts I’m looking for.

Anyway, I think I will decide within the next days to buy the Deluge or not. Because It would be to much difficult to return the device when I don’t like t I have to think about carefully... 😎

@EyeOhEss said:
    Do you still have your op-z?

Yes the OP-Z is always with me. 😊
    Still love this tiny, 180g lightweight, cable free device a lot! Especially the sequencer... 🎶

• edited May 2019

Waiting... 😎

• @chandroji said:
    Waiting... 😎

Shipping is usually fast. Let us know how you get on with it!

• edited May 2019

The golden knobs arrived ... 😊

Hui!
    I’m so happy that I exchanged my OP-1 with the Deluge! My first impression: I’m really enthusiastic and excited, what a wonderful device! 👍

The device feels sturdy and the haptic is great. Nothing feels cheap! The build quality is top notch!

I’ve just played around for 30 minutes and I already feel that this is properly the best Hardware Sequenzer I ever had under my fingers. The sound is great, not comparable with the OP-1. The workflow seems fast and intuitive, fantastic!

And the best is, I paid less than I got for my OP-1! 😎
    This was a great deal for me!

In the next days I will dive in the Deluge and I’m sure I will have a lot of fun!

Thanks for the thread and the postings here, this reminded me that I was interested in the Deluge. Now it’s here, fresh from New Zealand three days after ordering! 😊👍

I’m sure the Deluge and I will have a wonderful friendship!

Let’s the music play... 🎶

• Excellent! And if you ever feel the need to hook it up to an OP-1, let me know! I'm also in Berlin.

• @chandroji said:
    The golden knobs arrived ... 😊

Hui!
    I’m so happy that I exchanged my OP-1 with the Deluge! My first impression: I’m really enthusiastic and excited, what a wonderful device! 👍

The device feels sturdy and the haptic is great. Nothing feels cheap! The build quality is top notch!

I’ve just played around for 30 minutes and I already feel that this is properly the best Hardware Sequenzer I ever had under my fingers. The sound is great, not comparable with the OP-1. The workflow seems fast and intuitive, fantastic!

And the best is, I paid less than I got for my OP-1! 😎
    This was a great deal for me!

In the next days I will dive in the Deluge and I’m sure I will have a lot of fun!

Thanks for the thread and the postings here, this reminded me that I was interested in the Deluge. Now it’s here, fresh from New Zealand three days after ordering! 😊👍

I’m sure the Deluge and I will have a wonderful friendship!

Let’s the music play... 🎶

doh! and you had to go and post a close up... :blush: beautiful, don't hesitate to share your insights about it.

• edited May 2019

The Deluge is an amazing device, and the iPad is the perfect partner for it. The MIDI sequencing from the Deluge is top-notch, so when you want something other than the Deluge's sounds and sampling, just load up some synths in AUM, pick your MIDI channels, run the iPad into the Deluge's inputs and you're away!

Man, the 3.0 update already looks fantastic and apparently there are more features to come.

• edited May 2019

So, now the Deluge is one week with me and honestly this little device is the best hardware I purchased in the last years! 😊👍

I’m so happy!

The last week I’ve RTFM , played around and explored the UI. This machine is truly amazing!
    The work with the sequencer is joyful and really fast. Never before I’ve got within minutes several sequences (including drums) running which makes me happy! Step conditions and Parameter lockings are easy to realize. Copying tracks to sections are just a tab away, adjusting note lengths is easy, zooming, scrolling within songview and sequences, everything works like a charm.

Love the Matrix and the shortcuts, no need for deep menu diving.

All (sound) settings are just one tab away. For me the UI is well designed and I have a lot of fun switching between sequencing and sounddesign in a second.

A few things I’m not discovered up to now. The Arrange Mode and the Sampling. But I think in one more week I know more about. I’m curious to use samples from some iPad synths as an OSC.

Anyway, I already love the Deluge and I’m sure it will worth the time to learn the shortcuts and how to use this little gem.

P.S.
    I’m wondering if the Deluge can different time signatures like 3/4. I did not found out yet... 😎

• Awesome. How is it operating it in direct sunlight, are the lcd and the lights on the buttons still watchable?

How about if you set tracklength to 12, then you should have 3/4?

• @dreamrobe said:
    Awesome. How is it operating it in direct sunlight, are the lcd and the lights on the buttons still watchable?

That’s not easy to work in the sunlight!
    It’s possible to adjust the brightness of the LED’s but even with full brightness it’s a pain. I always look for a shadow place when I’m outside... 😎

To set the track length to 12 is just a workaround but the metronome will still count 4/4...

I’ve just searched in the Synthstrom Forum and it seems not possible in the moment to set different time signatures . Hope it will come with an update. Many users ask for it...

But this (temporary?) downside doesn’t bother me, the Deluge is an amazing device that brings a lot of fun using it! Nobody/ Nothing is perfect!

• time signature will prob come eventually, what about tempo automation and different clock divisions per track?

• edited May 2019

@kobamoto said:
    what about tempo automation and different clock divisions per track?

Sorry @kobamoto , I really don’t know, never used!
    I’m afraid these features are not available yet... 😎

• @chandroji said:

@dreamrobe said:
    Awesome. How is it operating it in direct sunlight, are the lcd and the lights on the buttons still watchable?

That’s not easy to work in the sunlight!
    It’s possible to adjust the brightness of the LED’s but even with full brightness it’s a pain. I always look for a shadow place when I’m outside... 😎

To set the track length to 12 is just a workaround but the metronome will still count 4/4...

I’ve just searched in the Synthstrom Forum and it seems not possible in the moment to set different time signatures . Hope it will come with an update. Many users ask for it...

But this (temporary?) downside doesn’t bother me, the Deluge is an amazing device that brings a lot of fun using it! Nobody/ Nothing is perfect!

I think you have to set deluge as a slave to another host (computer/iOS daw) , then turn on sync-scaling in the track view. If you create a track with an odd number of beats, it’ll scale the track to be in time.

“A track of an unusual time signature may be created by setting its length to an unusual number of beats - e.g. seven 8th-notes. Using sync-scaling, the Deluge, when synced as a slave, can make those seven 8th-notes take up the same amount of time that the incoming MIDI beat clock says that eight 8th-notes are meant to take up. “

Found relevant info at or around page 54 in the deluge manual. (Seach pdf for “Sync-Scaling)

• edited May 2019

I’m around 5 months in now with my Deluge and it still has that thrilling new-gear awe and wonder to me. Each update is like a game changer, eliminating entire product categories from my planned purchase list. (Especially the upcoming audio/CV/midi looping functionality)

Can’t wait to soon pair it with the Soma Pulsar 23 drum synth, which I just got on the waiting list for — the only other gear that’s really spoken to me like Deluge has in the last few years. Empress Zoia also piqued my interest and looks to be an ideal pairing, but that’ll have to be put on hold for quite a while — iOS Turnado and other multi-effects apps more than fill the gaps for now.

• @jollyDodger said:

Immediate impression was “yikes” - “those metal knobs, that poor screen” before noticing the felt pads on the knobs. Aha, That’s actually quite a nice setup!

I’d love to do something like that, though instead of the pad, I might add a slideout tray underneath with an attached seaboard block or Xkey air. Would be great for those couch jam sessions :)

• perfect form factor

• edited June 2019

For everybody who are interested in the Deluge and the small company behind, here is a great and interesting interview!

The DELUGE Story - Synthstrom Audible Interview | Superbooth 2019 | SYNTH ANATOMY

Still love my Deluge, it’s the best piece of gear I purchased in the last two years! 😊

Listen and enjoy...

• edited July 2019

The 3.0 beta has hit for beta testers. Adds a ridiculous amount of stuff, with the headline feature being the new live looping which also solves my only remaining workflow issues with the device (eg. you can now have a count-in for recording and set record length while you're recording, rather than having to assign a length beforehand).

Anyway, I tried the beta this morning, just looping vocals using the internal mic and adding drums/synths etc. The beta is already ridiculously good. I’m a decent vocalist so having this kind of stuff so hands-on is lovely, but what surprised me is the amount you can do with the loops after the fact. The pitch shifting and live loop length changes you can do are really musical, plus you can easily copy loops into new song sections and mangle them to produce different ‘versions’ you can switch to on the fly!

With a bit of thinking and some practice, you could do some incredibly awesome stuff with this, but even just improvising completely from scratch is super-fun.

• @jollyDodger said:

Nice setup! But, what is the case you are using? Maybe a link to it?

• My Deluge arrived yesterday. Shipping in 3 workdays from NZ to The Netherlands!

Just replaced the battery for a 3450mAh.

First a quick look at the manual, trying to understand the workflow. I come from a Octatrack, so this is really different.(i think?)