Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2

Comments

• @dendy said:

NS implements sample accurate plugin delay compensation on all parts of audio graph. It even displays information if some AUfx plugin introduces bigger latency into audio graph (for example FAC transient does that, which is obvious because of what this plugin is doing).

That's great to hear. I'd recommend that it's featured on the Nanostudio 2 features page on Blip Interactive and the App Store listing. This is such a vital feature.

• thanks guys, you made me really interested in ApeMatrix, i was more or less overlooking it till yet, but it is really impressive !

• apeMatrix can have sequencers feeding sequencers feeding sequencers...with MIDI processors in between.

Autony and Rozeta Bassline both driving synth #1.
    Same Autony filtered and transposed by Midi Tools driving synth #2.
    Same Rozeta BL processed by Cality driving synth #3.
    Both same Autony (pre-Midi Tools) and Rozeta BL (post-Cality) processed by Midi Echo driving synth #4.
    Same Autony (original) fed back into Rozeta BL, transposing it.

• @Carnbot said:

If I'm wanting to sketch out a full track on iOS though then NS2 is a great option. But I like a workflow between platforms. I'd like to see Ableton Live export on NS2. But one nice thing it does have is the connection to desktop webDAV which is a great feature :)

I'd like to see that in the modulars too.

Full agreement. Ableton export makes things a breeze in any of the iOS hosts that offer it (there's a few). But it shouldn't be viewed strictly as an Ableton only workflow. The audio loops that are exported can be used in any DAW on Windows of OS X

• This and the modular thread have both been wonderful. @jonmoore I'm glad you stuck around as I've learnt a lot from your posts. I really appreciate you being here.

@dendy the good humor with which you've discussed Nanostudio has been inspiring. And whoever it was who posted the extraordinary stuff about using/abusing the synth in Nanostudio... I knew it was good, but starting to see the possibilities of it being so tightly integrated into the DAW.

This thread and the videos have made me realize how much I've been missing. For example - the FM synth, which baffled me initially, is really powerful. And the sample oscillator can do so much more than I realized. But I think the cherry on the top is how usable everything is - it makes me want to play.

I haven't used apeMatrix that much because I know AUM/Audiobus and could make them do what I want. But I think I need to. What I want to get more into is creating interesting loops/textures from modular experiments and then bring them back into more linear stuff. I wish he would create a modular west coast synth using that patch bay (I know iVCS3 which I love, but it's a different thing).

• @skiphunt said:

@syrupcore said:
    Another layering thing to consider—you can set the AMP envelope's level to track velocity in reverse (Env->Scaling). So you could have one sound track velocity in the 'normal' way and another sound do the opposite in order sort of cross-fade them with playing dynamics (or seq

It took me half an hour to figure out how to set this up... and yes, that’s a spectacular trick. Thanks!

Nice. The 'Wait, holy what?' thing is this can be applied to pretty much any parameter in Obsidian. Heavier vibrato and/or dampen the delays as you play harder? yup. Increase a filter's overdrive as you play lower on the keyboard for more growl (Env->Scaling->Key)? yup.

IMO, Matt has totally undersold the envelopes. Many synths have the key based tracking hardwired to "filter tracking" and nothing else. And many leave it as off, 50% or 100%. Obsidian lets you assign this to anything at any variable amount from -100% to 100%. Plus you can use the same single Env to adjust more than one thing at a time, each at it's own percentage. Boom.

• edited April 2019

Who’s got the hot tips regarding using this versatile sequencer and song looper to build tracks as quickly as possible? You guys doing subtractive arrangement via the nice 4x, 8x, 32x duplication options? Merge mode for multiple lanes of loop recording? Tell me about it

• @dendy as you’ll remember I was having all sorts of issues with NS2 locking up and generally being very unreliable.

I have deleted and reinstalled NS2 (luckily remembering to copy my files into iCloud Drive first!) and that seems to have fixed things. Perhaps there was an issue with the auv3 database?

Anyway, it all seems to be working as it should now. :-)

• wow, i'm really GLAD it fixed itself for you :) .. i spend significat time experimenting, trying to reproduce your issues on various iDevices i have, but without success, and i was a kind of bad mood becauses of that :)

:+1: :+1: :+1:

• @dendy said:
    wow, i'm really GLAD it fixed itself for you :) .. i spend significat time experimenting, trying to reproduce your issues on various iDevices i have, but without success, and i was a kind of bad mood becauses of that :)

:+1: :+1: :+1:

It was very frustrating.

It would fail to load an EOS2 plugin that was actually inactive in a channel setup and just completely lock up.

I don’t expect it to rear its ugly head again as I expect something happened to corrupt an internal database perhaps (?) but if it does I’ll take better notes of how it occurred. I have an earlier version of the ‘problem’ project and that works fine now too.

Weird one.

• Just a very minor bug. Probably been notified before.

I can’t change anything in the song settings menu (for example enable Ableton Link) if I tap the menu from the help screen. The menu opens but nothing can be selected.

And a related feature request. Any chance NS2 could listen for link start stop? I’d like to be able to have NS2 in the background and start and stop from AUM’s transport rather than having to keep switching back to use the NS2 transport (AUM will slave to NS2, is like it to work both ways — sometimes id want to work in NS2 and have AUM follow, sometimes the other way around).

I can only get it working with NS2 as the master. Am I missing something?

• edited April 2019

I can’t change anything in the song settings menu (for example enable Ableton Link) if I tap the menu from the help screen. The menu opens but nothing can be selected.

good catch ! No, this wasn't reported yet, hope it doesn't mean nobody is reading manual :))
    Will report it to Matt, thanks.

And a related feature request. Any chance NS2 could listen for link start stop?

edit: ee, forget what i wrote here, i maybe got somethig wrong, i need to clarify it with matt and then will be back..

• @dendy I may have spoken too soon about the lockups.

I am sending you a project via email. It opens ok first time but coming back to it (say opening and closing a few different projects) and it locks up. After restating it loaded again but locked up archiving. Big lockup, even the iPad home button didn’t work.

iPad 2 with latest iOS version. CPU upon loading about 28%.

• damn. ok, will check it, thanks.

• @dendy said:
    damn. ok, will check it, thanks.

Sent a project and some crash logs via email. Hope it helps.

• edited April 2019

@klownshed

Ok, i did some experiments with your project. I write result here, because it may help other people in case they will experience same issue, or probably also @Chris_Randall may get some idea what is happening here.

• problem is definitely with Grind plugin. Approximately once per 10-15 times after i load project, CPU meter jumps to 95-100%, lot of dropouts is there
    • my default buffer size is "high"
    • now this is interestig - when it gets stucked, after i switch buffer to "medium" - for a while (on my iPad Mini 5 approx 10 seconds) it looks like it is freezed - but after that it unfreezes and cpu jumps back to just 20%, no dropouts, everything ok again
    • when project was in "sucked" state - i removed ALL tracks except of that one with Slate where is Grind - CPU meter was still on 96%
    • Again - changig buffer size helped fix the issue
    • but after i saved and reopend this reduced project it was again ok

It looks like sometimes Grind is not correctly initialised after project is loaded (i tried load project and quickly hit "play") - sometimes it stays in stucked stage where it eats a LOT of CPU. Changing buffer size fixes it always.

Chris, maybe it can be something related to things described here ?
    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/479/some-notes-for-au-developers

I'll just add info that this issue is happening also in latest NS2 beta, there one important change how NS handles realtime sample rate - public NS2 uses always 44khz and resamples to 48khz only at the end if needed. Beta uses device's default rate (eg. 44 or 48) but this issue is happening with both.

here is example NS projec with just single track with Grind - approx once per 10-15 loads this high CPU load happens.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkj8pup7bw2i9ei/GrindHighLoadSometimes.nsa?dl=0

• edited May 2019

I have to share this.. some guy posted this track on NS forums ... made in NS, with lot of sampling from orchestral libraries.. Give him like on his SC, because this is really SOMETHING. Totally epic.

i will quote him:
    Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I just created my first composition in NanoStudio 2. There are over 40 tracks in this piece, and most of them are custom Obsidian patches I made myself from orchestral instruments I sampled from Beathawk, iSymphonic, Garageband, Sampletank (Miroslav), and Korg Module (Orchestral Dreams).

Best track i EVER hear not just from NS but generally made on iPad.

• Stunning piece of work! The composition, orchestration is just amazing!!!!!

• What is best tutorial for NS2?

• @RUST( i )K said:
    What is best tutorial for NS2?

I asked the same and was directed to the following. I find them fairly clear, to the point, split up into specific features, and short.

https://www.youtube.com/user/platinumaudiolab/videos

• @skiphunt said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I asked the same and was directed to the following. I find them fairly clear, to the point, split up into specific features, and short.

Like NS2?

I bought but never used.

Better than BM3?

Files for IAP...wav?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@skiphunt said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Like NS2?

I bought but never used.

Better than BM3?

Files for IAP...wav?

When I mess around with it... I like it. Maybe an edge to BM3 overall, but NS2 has a tidier interface.

I think it's definitely worth picking out a handful of those tutorial videos to watch. They're typically in the 5 to 7min range. Easy to digest.

I didn't buy any IAPs... may at some point, but not until I'm actually using it more.

• @dendy said:
    I have to share this.. some guy posted this track on NS forums ... made in NS, with lot of sampling from orchestral libraries.. Give him like on his SC, because this is really SOMETHING. Totally epic.

i will quote him:
    Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I just created my first composition in NanoStudio 2. There are over 40 tracks in this piece, and most of them are custom Obsidian patches I made myself from orchestral instruments I sampled from Beathawk, iSymphonic, Garageband, Sampletank (Miroslav), and Korg Module (Orchestral Dreams).

Best track i EVER hear not just from NS but generally made on iPad.

Wow! Fantastic & fabulous!!

Nanostudio 2 is da shit! Obsidian and the stability is the thing with NS2...

• Any news on iPhone version?

• Question that I haven’t been able to find the answer to: what the hell is the cycle function and how do I use it?

• edited May 2019

@db909 said:
    Question that I haven’t been able to find the answer to: what the hell is the cycle function and how do I use it?

same thing like in logic... try turn it on on some pattern with notes, and then drag right handle - it "repeats" pattern...

• @dendy said:

@db909 said:
    Question that I haven’t been able to find the answer to: what the hell is the cycle function and how do I use it?

same thing like in logic... try turn it on on some pattern with notes, and then drag right handle - it "repeats" pattern...

Hmm ok. I don’t use Logic. So basically this is the equivalent of duplicating the pattern multiple times only now you have more precise control via the handle drag?

• edited May 2019

@db909 said:

@dendy said:

@db909 said:

Hmm ok. I don’t use Logic. So basically this is the equivalent of duplicating the pattern multiple times only now you have more precise control via the handle drag?

You are looping the pattern. If you change the original all subsequent loops will also change. Only the original (first) pattern actually contains the notes.

If you duplicate the pattern each duplicate is independent as they are copies. Change one and the others stay as they were.

• @klownshed said:

@db909 said:

@dendy said:

@db909 said:

You are looping the pattern. If you change the original all subsequent loops will also change.

If you duplicate the pattern each duplicate is independent. Change one and the others stay as they were.

Aha! Thank you

• Scott has a new composition! He has a back catalog of IOS music on soundcloud that inspires composers to take IOS seriously as a platform option. Especially if they have limited funds.

I think he has also used a lot of desktop apps in the past to get the best violin solos, etc. But if this one is pure NS2 then it shows a path to a low cost and effective approach all on IOS.

It's great to see someone follow through on the idea of sampling all the great IOS Apps to allow a DAW to conserve resources. It's a very smart way to approach the limitations of the platform that can be so frustrating... crashing AUv3s that require pre-mature conversion to frozen audio. It's so much better to have MIDI tracks to edit for small changes even at the end stages of a project.