Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dexed Synth by George Rosar

Comments

• Interesting :)
    I wonder how this compares to KQDixie in sound.

• Rated 12+ for the following:
    Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References

Crazy 80s man

• @Carnbot said:
    Interesting :)
    I wonder how this compares to KQDixie in sound.

Ditto! If it includes the different DAC settings in DEXED it might an interesting option...

• Since Dexed is covered by GPLv3 Open Source license, everyone should be able to request the source code from the author. Interesting move! :)

• I really like Dexed's regular UI with everything accessible on one screen, but I'm not sure about the current state of this port. The author does say that "this release is just to lay the ground for stability and UI upgrades", so we'll see.

• edited May 2019

Cheers for the link! Just installed it on my iPhone SE, it makes sounds! 😉 I definitely don’t wanna edit on this small screen, but look forward to playing with it on iPad later on..

Thanks again, all the best AB guys! 😺🎛🎸🎧🚀

• Fun to have another option but KQ Dixie is where it's at, makes FM fun!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:
    Is this the first cross platform release that’s more expensive on iOS than desktop? ;)

Nope, SunVox and a few other apps from the same developer are free for the desktops ;)

• SunVox is totally worth it though. UI responds in a predictable way, unlike too many apps with knobs that rotate in the opposite direction and other nonsense. Stable as a rock too.

• edited May 2019
    • crashes all the time (tested in AUM and NS2)
    • MIDI out doesn't work (tried control Dixie with Dexed - both are compatible with DX7 sysexes so it sould be possible to set patch on Dexed and have same patch in Dixie (wanted to compare sound)
    • saving cartridges (32 patches dx7 compatible sysex bank, theoretically possible tomload to dixie because dixie can load dx7 banks) - doesn't work, saves file with zero size

deleted... i liked Dexed on desktop a lot, but this port needs lot of work before it starts to be useble..

UI is works surprisingly good, even through knobs ate tiny, it is ok. Like UI more than UI of Dixie, everything at one screen is very handy.

Hope dev will fix issues, if yes then probably i will switch from Dixie to Dexed (after some sound comparations)

• I wonder how the original author of Dexed feels about this :-/

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @dendy said:

• crashes all the time (tested in AUM and NS2)
    • MIDI out doesn't work (tried control Dixie with Dexed - both are compatible with DX7 sysexes so it sould be possible to set patch on Dexed and have same patch in Dixie (wanted to compare sound)
    • saving cartridges (32 patches dx7 compatible sysex bank, theoretically possible tomload to dixie because dixie can load dx7 banks) - doesn't work, saves file with zero size

deleted... i liked Dexed on desktop a lot, but this port needs lot of work before it starts to be useble..

UI is works surprisingly good, even through knobs ate tiny, it is ok. Like UI more than UI of Dixie, everything at one screen is very handy.

Hope dev will fix issues, if yes then probably i will switch from Dixie to Dexed (after some sound comparations)

Control codes for live changes to parameters are unlikely to directly correlate with sysex definitions of patches. Does either app act as a control surface for a DX7 and vice versa? I doubt it.

• Uh is it just me or is it impossible to import zips or straight sysex files in this.

• I was tempted by this as I do like the Desktop version. Does it have AU parameters ?

Sounds like it's crashing a lot from reports. Any success stories yet? :)

• The app store basically says it's not ready I think..

• Missed that it wasn't free. Paying for KQ Dixie makes sense, that isn't a freely available port of an existing app.

• edited May 2019

@brambos said:
    Since Dexed is covered by GPLv3 Open Source license, everyone should be able to request the source code from the author. Interesting move! :)

Word.

I'm always surprised when someone puts out a commercial product based on GPLv3 code – That license can be toxic for commercial use.

For those reading, that license means that any one of you can request the source code for that app. And, even publish the code right now for everyone.

• edited May 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

Isn’t that essentially what open source is all about tho? I’d have guessed there’d be some kind of fine print added if the original coder didn’t want it to ever be used for a commercial product? Similar to how some fonts are free and you can use em however you want, while some fonts are free but you can’t use them on anything you sell... do those kind of options not exist for open source coders?

Great question. This is such a large discussion (hashed out over the internet, over decades) that I can't really do all the points justice here. The long of the short of it is, some believe GPLv3 isn't "true" open-source.

Major points being:

• The majority of businesses or organizations would not use it. (In the AudioKit sphere, thousands of apps would not exist if our code was GPLv3)
    • Other open-source projects can not use the code either. i.e. We can't add any GPLv3 code to the AudioKit repos. It contaminants everything it touches.
    • There's millions of great tiny libraries that could really benefit all kinds of developers that that sit on the internet unused, because they're GPLv3.
    • GPLv3 code doesn't get used that often outside of the app it was created for. If one thinks of the purpose of open-source as building blocks to be passed down the line – the buck stops with GPLv3 code.

When I use the term "toxic" for commercial projects, it's more a repetition of what product managers say about GPLv3
    i.e. Let's say a new NI Kontakt developer accidentally uses a piece of "open-source" GPLv3 code to parse JSON for some sort of tiny feature. Perhaps the developers found the code on Github, and didn't know any better. Native Instruments would now have to release the code to their flagship product, which in some cases might be devastating to the livelihood of an organization and even cause jobs to be lost. etc.

Or, let's say we released the AudioKit ROM Player code under GPLv3. All the apps using it (like Mellowsound, SK-5, Taqs.im, etc) might have to not only release their code, but, all the music samples they used in the app. All their creative input associated with the code might have to be released to the public, etc.

That's why we were surprised to see a commercial product made with GPLv3. It's rarely done.

That being said, it's my personal opinion that developers should release their code under any license they choose.

• @analog_matt - the better analogy here would probably be. NI found an open source sample player called Kontakt. They add a custom JSON parser to it, and then sell it as their own product.

Well in this case it's an open source project that he's ported to IOS. His contribution is pretty minor. Raph Lieven - a great guy - created the synth years ago, and a separate team now maintain it. There's nothing technically wrong with what he's done, and I get that releasing synths on IOS costs money, but I hope he contacted that team and let them know what he did.

I actually think the world would be a better place if company's were forced to release their source code, but that's a separate issue.

• Certainly, abandonware's source should be opened up. #righttorepair!

• edited July 2019

Major changes.

Midi CC Feature should nearly work in StandAlone mode and experimentally work in AUv3 mode.
    Mostly just issues with scaling in AUM and Garage Band. Replaced some of the GUI with native resolution widgets, the graphical overhaul is not complete, however.
    LOCK PARAM now visually disable parameters on synth as well as disabling touch events.
    Some features have been disabled until development is done, SAVE is disabled for the moment. So save locally in Garage Band, AUM and use the DAWs in-app preset saving, for now.
    On the second startup and on, the program will link your iTunes file management uploads with the CARTs, if you have more patches to upload.
    Implementing this in the AUv3 may not be possible, but we'll see.
    Stay tuned for light updates periodically.

• Will this load DX7 sysex files yet? It comes with a solid selection but still lacking. I need my Top Gun Bass 1 preset

• Just for curiosity...Is this because the icon is a pill?

• @oat_phipps said:
    Will this load DX7 sysex files yet? It comes with a solid selection but still lacking. I need my Top Gun Bass 1 preset

you can now load dx7 patches yes, but frustratingly I can't see how to share them with AUv3.....it's nearly there I guess but that last bit is essential for me.

• Looks good, but is it only portrait mode?