Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Does THM Overloud work with keyboard?

I have actual guitars, but I’m truly awful at guitar playing, and prefer doing all bass and guitar parts on keyboard. I’m unable, as of yet to have found a way to incorporate the Bias stuff into a keyboard, and saw this plugin, and was just wondering if there was a way to incorporate it into using a keyboard controller? Thank you for any and all replies, also if there are any other guitar apps or plugins that work with a keyboard controller, I would love to know more, thank you.

Comments

• Hey @Ripper7620, it sounds to me like you’re misunderstanding the function of an amp simulator like Bias or THM Overloud. Amp simulators don’t operate on midi data, they operate on audio. Midi controllers don’t put out sound, so no amp simulator will work directly on the output from a midi controller.

You have to first use your midi controller to trigger an app that makes sound like a guitar or bass, then send that sound through the amp simulator, if needed. I say “If needed” because some apps like that already have sounds that don’t need further amp simulation.

I’m not going to make recommendations about guitar or bass apps. Since I play guitar and bass, I pretty much hate the sound of any app that claims to sound like the real thing. But others here will have some good recommendations. I use GeoShred (because it’s cool, not because it sounds anything like a guitar to me), and have heard good things about iFretless Bass.

But anyway, that’s just my guess where you’re getting tripped up based on what you wrote above. If I’ve misunderstood then it might be helpful if you describe how you’ve tried to use Bias where you weren’t successful.

• DCJDCJ
    edited May 2019

Does overloud have an iOS app that I don’t know about?

Edit: NVM. Must be an Auria thing.

• @wim said:
    Hey @Ripper7620, it sounds to me like you’re misunderstanding the function of an amp simulator like Bias or THM Overloud. Amp simulators don’t operate on midi data, they operate on audio. Midi controllers don’t put out sound, so no amp simulator will work directly on the output from a midi controller.

You have to first use your midi controller to trigger an app that makes sound like a guitar or bass, then send that sound through the amp simulator, if needed. I say “If needed” because some apps like that already have sounds that don’t need further amp simulation.

I’m not going to make recommendations about guitar or bass apps. Since I play guitar and bass, I pretty much hate the sound of any app that claims to sound like the real thing. But others here will have some good recommendations. I use GeoShred (because it’s cool, not because it sounds anything like a guitar to me), and have heard good things about iFretless Bass.

But anyway, that’s just my guess where you’re getting tripped up based on what you wrote above. If I’ve misunderstood then it might be helpful if you describe how you’ve tried to use Bias where you weren’t successful.

Thank you for the reply, I should have been more clear, I do understand that a normal guitar or bass app needs an actual audio signal to work, and what I should have asked is are there any apps that change a midi signal from a keyboard, to an audio signal, so that it’s possible to use a guitar, or bass amp in iOS with a keyboard? I’ve mainly worked, and made music with a pc, and there are some great windows/mac apps that do that really well. I’ve actually gotten Bias FX to work with an app, but I don’t recall which one, and I think it was just a fluke, because I’ve never been able to repeat what I had done. On pc, I use some of Native Instruments’ bass and guitar apps for that, also,one company is called Prominy, and there’s another one called Shreddage that has both guitar and bass apps that are phenomenal. And then for amps, both for bass and guitar, there’s a company called Mercuriall, and the amps they make are just outstanding, I believe that they are nearly on par with stand-alone guitar units like Kemper.

• @DCJ said:
    Does overloud have an iOS app that I don’t know about?

Edit: NVM. Must be an Auria thing.

Yes, I’m not sure if it’s some kind of Auria only plugin or not, but that’s where I saw it.

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@Ripper7620 said:

@wim said:
    Hey @Ripper7620, it sounds to me like you’re misunderstanding the function of an amp simulator like Bias or THM Overloud. Amp simulators don’t operate on midi data, they operate on audio. Midi controllers don’t put out sound, so no amp simulator will work directly on the output from a midi controller.

Thank you for the reply, I should have been more clear, I do understand that a normal guitar or bass app needs an actual audio signal to work, and what I should have asked is are there any apps that change a midi signal from a keyboard, to an audio signal, so that it’s possible to use a guitar, or bass amp in iOS with a keyboard? I’ve mainly worked, and made music with a pc, and there are some great windows/mac apps that do that really well. I’ve actually gotten Bias FX to work with an app, but I don’t recall which one, and I think it was just a fluke, because I’ve never been able to repeat what I had done. On pc, I use some of Native Instruments’ bass and guitar apps for that, also,one company is called Prominy, and there’s another one called Shreddage that has both guitar and bass apps that are phenomenal. And then for amps, both for bass and guitar, there’s a company called Mercuriall, and the amps they make are just outstanding, I believe that they are nearly on par with stand-alone guitar units like Kemper.

Well, then I guess the question in a nutshell is really: “Are there any apps that produce a decent facsimile of a guitar tone, that will sound good running through an amp sim like Bias?” Is that correct?

I’m afraid I’m no help there. I have never found any apps that sound anywhere close to a guitar to my ears. I hope others less picky than me can make some recommendations.

As for running the output through Bias, that’s no problem. If you find an app you want to make work through Bias, then let us know what host you’re using and I’m sure I or someone else can help out.

• @wim Thank you for the reply, two of the app developers I listed above, Prominy, and Shreddage, make apps for pc/mac, that somehow turn the midi signal from a keyboard (or other midi controller), if I understand correctly, into an audio signal (if I understand correctly), so that the midi controller works with an amp simulator for guitar or bass. There has got to be a way by now, I would think, to do that in iOS. If I’m understanding correctly, I just need an app that changes the midi to audio. The app developers I listed, don’t actually sound that great on there own, but when I combine them on pc at least, I get that to my ears at least, sound as good if not better than the real thing. Here’s one of my songs off SoundCloud, and both the guitar and bass parts, were played with keyboard;

I’m very fortunate, because I’m so horrible at playing actual stringed Instruments.

• @Ripper7620 said:
    @wim Thank you for the reply, two of the app developers I listed above, Prominy, and Shreddage, make apps for pc/mac, that somehow turn the midi signal from a keyboard (or other midi controller), if I understand correctly, into an audio signal (if I understand correctly), so that the midi controller works with an amp simulator for guitar or bass. There has got to be a way by now, I would think, to do that in iOS. If I’m understanding correctly, I just need an app that changes the midi to audio. The app developers I listed, don’t actually sound that great on there own, but when I combine them on pc at least, I get that to my ears at least, sound as good if not better than the real thing. Here’s one of my songs off SoundCloud, and both the guitar and bass parts, were played with keyboard;

I’m very fortunate, because I’m so horrible at playing actual stringed Instruments.

Well, since nobody else is stepping up with recommendations, I’ll suggest starting with GeoShred, iFretless Guitar, Guitarism, or iFretless Bass. With the amount of distortion you use, you should be fine with anything that comes close to a guitar sound. B)

Just load any of those up set your midi controller to send to it, then throw Bias in the FX slot. Holler if you need help.

• @wim Thank you very much for those recommendations, that’s awesome, now I have somewhere to start. Now that I saw you posted it, I have iFretless bass, and I’m pretty sure that was what I was using when I got BiasFX to work through my keyboard. All of those suggestions should keep me busy for awhile.

• @Ripper7620 said:
    @wim Thank you very much for those recommendations, that’s awesome, now I have somewhere to start. Now that I saw you posted it, I have iFretless bass, and I’m pretty sure that was what I was using when I got BiasFX to work through my keyboard. All of those suggestions should keep me busy for awhile.

I just had some success with strng - after some fiddling. That’s an inexpensive app, and fun to mess around with whether it works out or not. -cheers.

• @wim I just wanted to give you an update, I’m using iFretlass bass with BiasFX right now in Auria Pro, and it’s working awesome. I can’t afford to get the other apps you recommended, and didn’t already have them yet, but I just wanted to say thank you very much, I appreciate your help an awful lot!

• @Ripper7620 said:
    @wim I just wanted to give you an update, I’m using iFretlass bass with BiasFX right now in Auria Pro, and it’s working awesome. I can’t afford to get the other apps you recommended, and didn’t already have them yet, but I just wanted to say thank you very much, I appreciate your help an awful lot!

No problem bro! I’m glad it’s working out.
    BTW, Auria has a few built in Guitar presets in the Lyra Sampler. You can probably get great (free!) results running some of those through Bias. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that earlier.

• I think that when you're willing to learn playing it, GeoShred could be rewarding, at least if you're mainly into distorted guitar tones.
    Its user interface is likely better suited to guitar-like playing than a keyboard.

• ...but then, learning to play the guitar is probably even more rewarding ;)

• I’m sold on GeoShred, it looks like everything I’m after, and more, for electric rock and metal guitar. If there’s a better choice, I’d love to hear more. I already have BiasFX, and that’s good enough to get the ball rolling. Although, I’m not a big fan of Bias2, especially for desktop.

• edited May 2019

How about the guitar in good old FREE garage band

• @ecou said:
    How about the guitar in good old FREE garage band

I have to confess, since 2014, I’ve never gotten along with Garage Band, it’s one of those apps that almost everyone loves, but I’ve just never been able to make friends with it.

• I can’t say Use it very much either. I think it’s biggest strength is the drummers