Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club -May 2019

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

Comments

• @richardyot, I really like the effort you put in these monthly topics. Thanks for that!

I hope you don't find me rude that I post a track before you have posted one :#

Here's, again, a short instrumental, laid back track from my side, enjoy and I'm very curious about the feedback.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5BCoWLos10DEp2EHrF4vsp?si=DcyrW7lqQ4yGVbrP06Ta_Q

• @DrRinkel said:

Of course not - that's absolutely fine. I'm just running a little late this month :)

• edited May 2019

I made this in Studio One on PC, but recorded my voice in GarageBand with iPad mic (with VocalLive noise reduction on). Didn’t manage to tweak out all the clicks, noise, etc, etc......unfortunately.
    Apart from that I think its is a good song, perhaps its too painful/vulnerable/naked, etc, but don’t worry you probably won’t understand it cause it is in Dutch, my native language. My first Dutch song. Finished it yesterday. Hope you like it, even when you don’t understand the words.

• @richardyot - Richard, great that you are still running this topic! Much appreciation.

• So as the song goes 'its been a long time since I rock n rolled'. Over 2 years since I lasted posted a tune on here. Well done to @richardyot for keeping the song of the month club going. This one was mostly done in garage band with the vocals and the mixing done in logic than back over to the iPad for mastering in Finale.

• Welcome back @Marcel and @orchardman! Glad to see you back here, and I look forward to listening to your tracks :)

• @richardyot said:
    I'll collect all the entries in this post as they are submitted. Only participants that abide by the rules above will have their tracks collected here though.

So you’ll copy all entries into this post at the start of the thread ? That should make it much easier to see new any submissions ;)

• encenc
    edited May 2019

@DrRinkel said:
    @richardyot, I really like the effort you put in these monthly topics. Thanks for that!

Here's, again, a short instrumental, laid back track from my side, enjoy and I'm very curious about the feedback.

Not the sort of music I make but Loving this little glitch fest. It’s crying out for a nice sweet soulful vocal , I’ll be sure to add it to the summer vibes play list I run whilst doing the garden B) probably between cool and the gangs summer madness and luniz, I got 5 on it. Only negative from me is it’s waaaay too short.

• @Marcel said:

I made this in Studio One on PC, but recorded my voice in GarageBand with iPad mic (with VocalLive noise reduction on). Didn’t manage to tweak out all the clicks, noise, etc, etc......unfortunately.
    Apart from that I think its is a good song, perhaps its too painful/vulnerable/naked, etc, but don’t worry you probably won’t understand it cause it is in Dutch, my native language. My first Dutch song. Finished it yesterday. Hope you like it, even when you don’t understand the words.

Nice track, Spinvis eat your hart out! Dutch is my native language to and I really like the lyrics. Your right the song is a little vulnerable, not only the lyrics but also the music. I think it combines really well. I think a lot of people would like to listen to this kind of music so put of out there on the popular streaming services.

@enc said:

@DrRinkel said:
    @richardyot, I really like the effort you put in these monthly topics. Thanks for that!

Not the sort of music I make but Loving this little glitch fest. It’s crying out for a nice sweet soulful vocal , I’ll be sure to add it to the summer vibes play list I run whilst doing the garden B) probably between cool and the gangs summer madness and luniz, I got 5 on it. Only negative from me is it’s waaaay too short.

Thanks for your reply and the big compliment @enc! And your right, it's over in a blink of an eye. It's just a fase i'm in right now. Maybe i'm going to make some longer versions of all the short tracks i've made. But maybe not :D

• .> @Marcel said:

Hi Marcel. I really like the mellow sublime atmosphere you've created with the chord sequence and also great choice of sounds. The strings when they join in and the little blippy chords add extra colour. And the piano joining on the second verse is lovely too. It's really well arranged. Good job!

It's also mixed and balanced really well to my ears. Shame I don't understand Dutch as I would love to get into the lyric. I really liked the long pause at 2.30 - it gave a good sense of antici....pation :wink: I thought the song was just about the right length - it was just about to get to the point where it would need something else to happen

• @orchardman said:

Hi Orchardman.
    Nice groove! The chorus is quite catchy :smile: I really liked the brass section at 1.30 and nice to hear some funky timbales at the end.

With my headphones on something was upsetting my ears and I couldn't tell what it was first time round.. but on second listen I figured out that it's the rhythm guitar in my left ear - it has quite a lot of reverb which is also panned hard left. The reverb being just in one ear make things feel off balance. It's probably just me - and also it probably sounds fine through speakers.

• My entry for the month:

• @DrRinkel said:

A most intriguing piece: very interesting choice of sounds, really cool and unusual, and once the lead gets going it's a great melody, with that buzzy lead sound - just all around good sound design and composition. Great atmosphere and vibe as well, the track really sucks you in, but then it's over almost as soon as it began.

I think that this track could definitely be developed a lot further, you've got some great ideas, but I would love to have a deeper dive into this world.

• edited May 2019

@Marcel said:

I always really loved the melancholy vibe in your songs, and this one didn't disappoint. Why is it that the sad songs are always the best?

The vocal does sound like it was recorded using a cheap mic it has to be said, and there are some audible clicks and pops. However none of that matters, it's a very nice song with some great melodies. The instrumentation and arrangement are subtle and understated and that fits the mood of the song perfectly. Nice electric piano backing, and the chimey lead is beautiful, although very sparse (I could have done with a bit more of that lead sound actually).

Great job, and it's good to have you back.

• @orchardman said:

So as the song goes 'its been a long time since I rock n rolled'. Over 2 years since I lasted posted a tune on here. Well done to @richardyot for keeping the song of the month club going. This one was mostly done in garage band with the vocals and the mixing done in logic than back over to the iPad for mastering in Finale.

Welcome back :)

This one is a nice fusion of bluesiness with funk, lovely guitar lines and great backing track. The vocal melody is good as well, although for a track in this genre maybe there could be a little more energy in the vocal delivery. The voice also sound a little bright and lacking in the lower mids, maybe the HPF was set a bit too high?

The horns are a great touch. the drums are quite restrained in the verses, and come to life in the choruses with some extra percussion. It's a fun and well-written track, and the chorus is really catchy.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2019

@richardyot - treading close to post-punk, especially that intro 😀 (I like post punk). I don't expect to have a track this month but I still like to listen. And since I'm 30k up in the air right now, what else do I have to do?!

I liked it. Different vibe and vocal delivery than I remember hearing from you (admittedly I haven't heard your catalog) recently.

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    @richardyot - treading close to post-punk, especially that intro 😀 (I like post punk). I don't expect to have a track this month but I still like to listen. And since I'm 30k up right now, what else do I have to do?!

I liked it. Different vibe and vocal delivery than I remember hearing from you (admittedly I haven't heard your catalog) recently.

Thanks for taking the time to listen - much appreciated :)

I have no idea what being 30k up entails, but it sounds good!

• edited May 2019

@richardyot - Hi Richard, Thanks for listening and your kind words about my song. What do you mean with “chimey lead”? Do you mean the little blippy synthy chords in the back? Or the piano? Can’t figure out what you mean exactly with chimey lead, and googling it doesn’t help.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month:

Good vibe in this one @richardyot ! I really like the beginning of the track, the bleepy sounds and the Enya like voices works very nice! I found it a shame this relax vibe, it reminds me a bit of Royksopp, doesn´t come back later in the track. I find it very difficult to understand the lyrics. They could use some clarity. They also sound a bit in the background. In terms of production, it works well!

@orchardman said:

So as the song goes 'its been a long time since I rock n rolled'. Over 2 years since I lasted posted a tune on here. Well done to @richardyot for keeping the song of the month club going. This one was mostly done in garage band with the vocals and the mixing done in logic than back over to the iPad for mastering in Finale.

This is a very catchy track @orchardman. There's only one thing I would change, hope I can explain. The drum sounds are very spot on, let's just say quantized. The guitar on the other hand isn't . It's only one note that is not really comfortable with me, the first time at 5,5 sec.

@JonathanMac ; thanks for your comment! Your right about the bass sound.

• @Marcel said:
    @richardyot - Hi Richard, Thanks for listening and your kind words about my song. What do you mean with “chimey lead”? Do you mean the little blippy synthy chords in the back? Or the piano? Can’t figure out what you mean exactly with chimey lead, and googling it doesn’t help.

Yes I think it’s the piano, it’s very percussive sounding, like a chime.

• @DrRinkel said:

@DrRinkel - Thanks for your kind words about my track! Now about your track. It is an interesting coherent collection of sounds. Personally, in general, I don’t like that type of beat, but its ok here and its far from dominant, it doesn’t irritate me in this context. I like this track. Its a concept, its a sort of avant-garde piece, it sounds very good. Nice looped strange piano-phrase. Well done!

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month:

Beautiful. I like the intro guitar chords playing a lot, and further in the song also. That sounds really great! And overall the sound is very good. Now about the voice. It sounds good, perhaps a bit on the dark and unclear side. But that could be a matter of preference. I had an association - when listening to your voice - of Tom Verlaine (off topic: I really dug his album The Wonder, my guess is you might like it too, there’s a vynil post of it on YouTube). As I move along: great guitar solo - or is it keys? nevertheless that solo at the end sounds great!! That solo could be a bit longer (for me that is).

• @Marcel said:

Hello old friend! It’s great to hear something new from you. I love the chorus melody especially. Lovely atmospheric piece. Bravo!😄🎶👊🏻🎶

• @orchardman said:

Ello mate, welcome back to you and yours! I love the flavour of this, especially the brass! The wife is in good voice as usual. Excellent work!😄🎶👊🏻🎶

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month:

Hey mate, nice track! Good job on the harmony. I wanted a bit more “presence” on your vocal in the verses though (not necessarily louder though) as I couldn’t make out much of what you’re singing.( u bloody shoegazers and your mumbling!!🤣) It doesn’t matter so much in the chorus cos, well, it’s louder innit. I love me a good “Yot” outro though. Keyboard or guitar?? Keyboards my guess...😄🎶👍🏻🎶👊🏻

• @DrRinkel said:

Hi mate, some lovely textures in this. It’s nice. Great restraint on the length of the track, could have been too easy to just rinse and repeat. Kudos!😄🎶👊🏻🎶