Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Announcing the Audiobus Wiki!

As promised, the Audiobus Wiki is now online!

https://wiki.audiob.us

It's totally empty still, awaiting content. If you've got an Audiobus forum login, you can edit - just login there with your AB forum username and password. Feel free to use this thread to coordinate content creation efforts (you can also cross-link, of course, to discussion threads on the AB forum).

It supports Markdown if you put content within <markdown></markdown> blocks, so you should be able to copy and paste from the Audiobus forum as necessary.

I'll be linking to it from the forum navbar and elsewhere once it's got a little more content than "none".

Have fun, and let me know if there are any problems - and thanks! =)

CC @LinearLineman, @espiegel123, @InfoCheck, @jjkjjk, @McD, @ageezz, @TheOriginalPaulB, @RUST( i )K, @Max23, @leadabode

Comments

• McDMcD
    edited May 2019

Thank you @Michael!
    Nice. It shows that one person may edit at a time. Learning how to write "wiki syntax" with the syntax document is a good place to start. A "wiki link" can open a new page which can open more pages and it grows with any potential word have a linked page to define that word. Wiki links are enclosed in [[ ]] or using a specific link syntax.

[[Free IOS Apps]] which exists in an early form here:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/free_ios_apps

• Funny, does it still say I'm editing? I'm not any more

• It's open... I added a link at the end and starting creating a page for:

• McDMcD
    edited May 2019

@McD said:
    It's open... I added a link at the end and starting creating a page for:

When I used the acronym IAP I enclosed it in brackets [[IAP]] and it generated a new page where I defined it for a newbie.

• Nice :smile:
    Thanks for the efforts. Hope it gets used!

• edited May 2019

@Michael, can you post this as an announcement, please? It will surely roll back otherwise.

• I don't think the Wiki displaces the Knowledge Base category. They can borrow content from each other: some will prefer a conversation about a topic and some will just want structured information.

• edited May 2019

@McD said:
    I don't think the Wiki displaces the Knowledge Base category. They can borrow content from each other: some will prefer a conversation about a topic and some will just want structured information.

I would suggest there are three basic ways to discuss knowledge:

1. On regular forum threads.
    2. As topics in the knowledge base with the idea of clarifying the knowledge. When a consensus can’t be reached or if there are conflicting alternatives, they can be fleshed out in the knowledge base as well. This can also serve as an area to discuss and coordinate adding information to the wiki so the quality of the wiki is better.
    3. The wiki. Hopefully we can collectively add to this in way that makes it easy for people to find information and has good links for cross referencing information as the first two methods for sharing knowledge are less flexible in this regard.
  • edited May 2019

@McD said:
    I don't think the Wiki displaces the Knowledge Base category. They can borrow content from each other: some will prefer a conversation about a topic and some will just want structured information.

I think the wiki is intended to displace the knowledge base so that there will be a centralized collection of up-to-date knowledge.

The knowledge base was not intended as a discussion forum but as a stopgap repository for information that belonged in a wiki so that we could start collecting info that should be in the wiki until the wiki was ready (since it wasn't clear when gag would be and some of us were pestering Michael to get one up).

Michael intentionally had the KB a little off the beaten track so that it wouldn't turn into a discussion forum. That's what the main forum is for.

In my opinion, it makes sense for the knowledge base to go away once the content had made its way to the wiki. Otherwise, neither will stay current.

The nature of a wiki is for it to flesh itself out. Any disputes or controversy seems like they should be worked out in the forum.

• @espiegel123 said:

@McD said:
    I don't think the Wiki displaces the Knowledge Base category.

I think the wiki is intended to displace the knowledge base

Michael intentionally had the KB a little off the beaten track so that it wouldn't turn into a discussion forum. That's what the main forum is for.

In my opinion, it makes sense for the knowledge base to go away once the content had made its way to the wiki. Otherwise, neither will stay current.

The nature of a wiki is for it to flesh itself out. Any disputes or controversy seems like they should be worked out in the forum.

I wasn't thinking of disputes or controversy but more a chance for conversations around "articles". Many existing Forum threads seems to follow that model but they roll off the front page and are only re-discovered by use of the search box. There are probably 100 or so threads in there that have Knowledge Base value like the multi-thread "Piano World Cup series that @tja executed so masterfully but is now rarely considered when someone asks what Piano Apps are used. If that ended up in the KB we'd just point at it.

It's all good. I use search whenever I seek something I hope is buried here and I often find something relevant with enough effort. But sometimes I recall something really useful but can't figure out what magic words will re-surface it.

As you mention, this is @michael's call to make. I just wanted to share my view. I don't think many people use the Categories but just hit the front page and often miss good content. Finding threads with a lot of entries in the past is often interesting but it's crazy to stumble into one and not catch the original posts date. Sometimes, one is re-surfaced and I start answering the OP's question and realize I wasted my time.

• @McD said:
    It's all good. I use search whenever I seek something I hope is buried here and I often find something relevant with enough effort. But sometimes I recall something really useful but can't figure out what magic words will re-surface it.

As you mention, this is @michael's call to make. I just wanted to share my view. I don't think many people use the Categories but just hit the front page and often miss good content. Finding threads with a lot of entries in the past is often interesting but it's crazy to stumble into one and not catch the original posts date. Sometimes, one is re-surfaced and I start answering the OP's question and realize I wasted my time.

The stuff you don't want to roll over will be in the wiki -- if people will participate.

If you find valuable information, put it in the wiki. If enough of us do that, the wiki will be a great place.

The whole point of having a wiki is to have a single central source for that information that you want to know where to fine. The hope is that there will enough people interested in having the wiki work out that they will add information to the wiki that they think others will find timeless and important.

If we splinter that information between Knowledge Base and wiki, it will be hard to keep it current.

My personal hope is that as motivated people go back through old threads and find gems of information that they will be kind enough to add it to the wiki -- or at least add links to those articles. If there are enough people doing that, the wiki will be great and thrive and potentially become a primary source for people seeking this sort of information.

Anyway that's my take.

• Can you upload files to the wiki? Can we use it as a preset repository?

• @gusgranite said:
    Can you upload files to the wiki? Can we use it as a preset repository?

It doesn't appear to support adding files other than a few media types with a 20MB limit on size. Not sure the extent of the media types allowed. I tried uploading an AUMProject file as a simple test of something I found on my hard-drive.

• @espiegel123 said:

@McD said:

The stuff you don't want to roll over will be in the wiki -- if people will participate.

If you find valuable information, put it in the wiki. If enough of us do that, the wiki will be a great place.

The whole point of having a wiki is to have a single central source for that information that you want to know where to fine. The hope is that there will enough people interested in having the wiki work out that they will add information to the wiki that they think others will find timeless and important.

If we splinter that information between Knowledge Base and wiki, it will be hard to keep it current.

My personal hope is that as motivated people go back through old threads and find gems of information that they will be kind enough to add it to the wiki -- or at least add links to those articles. If there are enough people doing that, the wiki will be great and thrive and potentially become a primary source for people seeking this sort of information.

Anyway that's my take.

I think I'm coming around to your way of thinking on this. I have to make a concerted effort to visit the KB and was hesitant to invest knowing the Wiki was imminent so for me it will fade away like the front page news.

• @gusgranite said:

What you could do is to use the wiki to list and link to repositories.

• @InfoCheck said:

@gusgranite said:

What you could do is to use the wiki to list and link to repositories.

It looks great anyway! Thank you @Michael !!

• I can change the upload stuff by the way. Will look into it

• That would be great if we could attach files.

• Wow, I’m super happy to see this! Might take a bit, to get started but I definitely will be contributing.

Re: the existing KB category vs. Wiki, definitely would like to see the Wiki be the only focus. But, wiki articles do often need discussion. With anyone able to edit, sure, one could just “correct” an article that they think has an error or is unclear. But, what if they misunderstood, or were wrong themselveves, or, there is more than one right answer.

Wiki’s I’ve worked with have all had a “discuss” tab for each article, where these things can be worked out. I wonder if there is such a plugin for DokuWiki? If so I think it would be helpful.

Regardless, I do strongly hope people will take the time to provide edit summaries when making changes to pages. Especially if editing pages worked on by other people! I would also suggest that follow-up discussion if needed be carried out via forum private messaging. Or better yet that the PM discussion is handled before substantive changes are contemplated.

These are just off the cuff thoughts. I’m not familiar with DokuWiki, so maybe I’m missing more obvious ways to avoid confusion and / or ill will.

• @wim said:
    Wow, I’m super happy to see this! Might take a bit, to get started but I definitely will be contributing.

Re: the existing KB category vs. Wiki, definitely would like to see the Wiki be the only focus. But, wiki articles do often need discussion. With anyone able to edit, sure, one could just “correct” an article that they think has an error or is unclear. But, what if they misunderstood, or were wrong themselveves, or, there is more than one right answer.

Wiki’s I’ve worked with have all had a “discuss” tab for each article, where these things can be worked out. I wonder if there is such a plugin for DokuWiki? If so I think it would be helpful.

Regardless, I do strongly hope people will take the time to provide edit summaries when making changes to pages. Especially if editing pages worked on by other people! I would also suggest that follow-up discussion if needed be carried out via forum private messaging. Or better yet that the PM discussion is handled before substantive changes are contemplated.

These are just off the cuff thoughts. I’m not familiar with DokuWiki, so maybe I’m missing more obvious ways to avoid confusion and / or ill will.

This all makes a lot of sense to me.

Frequently there are subjective preferences, different ways of learning, or workflows. Despite there not always being a single objective answer, being able to adequately describe even strong subjective points of view would seem appropriate if it helps people to focus or reflect upon their own music creation so they can decide how to move forward or which approaches they might consider.

• edited May 2019

I really hope people with experience using wikis would be willing to give us some more pointers so we don’t spin our wheels too much. Perhaps you could check out what’s been done and respond here or in the knowledge base category of posts?

Thank you in advance!

• There are a few different approaches to s developing wiki.

One is to have it be fully open and have the best-practices and structure emerge as people add and update and re-organize each other's material. This can be messy and only works if there is sufficient critical mass. It also can generate conflict and messiness until things sort themselves out.

Another approach (which I think tends to be more effective for getting something started on the right foot) is to have a person or small group of people charged with establishing the wiki's general organization and preferred practices. Those people set up the basic structure, document preferred practices and actively monitor new contributions and edit and move pages as necessary. This can help get a wiki's tone, style, and organization established early which helps contributors know what to aim for.

If Dokuwiki's commenting doesn't seem ideal, it might make sense for the forum to have a wiki category which is devoted to discussion of wiki practices and hashing out disagreements about how to proceed.

• @espiegel123 said:
    There are a few different approaches to s developing wiki.

One is to have it be fully open and have the best-practices and structure emerge as people add and update and re-organize each other's material. This can be messy and only works if there is sufficient critical mass. It also can generate conflict and messiness until things sort themselves out.

Another approach (which I think tends to be more effective for getting something started on the right foot) is to have a person or small group of people charged with establishing the wiki's general organization and preferred practices. Those people set up the basic structure, document preferred practices and actively monitor new contributions and edit and move pages as necessary. This can help get a wiki's tone, style, and organization established early which helps contributors know what to aim for.

If Dokuwiki's commenting doesn't seem ideal, it might make sense for the forum to have a wiki category which is devoted to discussion of wiki practices and hashing out disagreements about how to proceed.

This seems like a good approach. Can you or is it okay if I post this to the wiki?

• @InfoCheck : why don’t we keep this here for now and see what thoughts @Michael has. I’ve pinged him privately, too.

In the meantime, this thread seems like a good place to hash things out.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @InfoCheck : why don’t we keep this here for now and see what thoughts @Michael has. I’ve pinged him privately, too.

In the meantime, this thread seems like a good place to hash things out.

Sounds good. Perhaps a link back to this thread and the knowledge base on the wiki would be a good way to make people aware of this if they happen across the wiki without any knowledge about what’s going into creating it?

• Btw, there are discussion pages on the wiki, if you look in the tools menu, there is a “Discuss the page” menu item..and some other handy menu items like the site map and list of recent changes and additions.

• edited May 2019

@Michael said:
    As promised, the Audiobus Wiki is now online!

https://wiki.audiob.us

It's totally empty still, awaiting content. If you've got an Audiobus forum login, you can edit - just login there with your AB forum username and password. Feel free to use this thread to coordinate content creation efforts (you can also cross-link, of course, to discussion threads on the AB forum).

It supports Markdown if you put content within <markdown></markdown> blocks, so you should be able to copy and paste from the Audiobus forum as necessary.

I'll be linking to it from the forum navbar and elsewhere once it's got a little more content than "none".

Have fun, and let me know if there are any problems - and thanks! =)

CC @LinearLineman, @espiegel123, @InfoCheck, @jjkjjk, @McD, @ageezz, @TheOriginalPaulB, @RUST( i )K,

Thank you very much for taking on this task, I may be totally new to modern iOS music production, I may not have anything in the way of contributions, but thank you for getting the ball rolling, I very much appreciate it!

• @Paulinko has started adding pages for Tutorials and used some solid formatting technique.
    Check it out:

https://wiki.audiob.us/app_tutorials

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    Btw, there are discussion pages on the wiki, if you look in the tools menu, there is a “Discuss the page” menu item..and some other handy menu items like the site map and list of recent changes and additions.

Funny, I’m pretty sure the “Start a discussion” option wasn’t there before. OK, that’s good. That should go a long way toward sanity (which will be defined as we go :D ).

I think a page expressly for the purpose of developing some posting guidelines would be good. A discussion launched from that page could serve the purpose of refining that page (basically what we’re doing in this thread).