Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A synthwave track entirely written in Cubasis on an iPad using Cubasis' Micrologue for all the synth

Recently, I have been using my iPad and K-Board combo as a lightweight music production kit for when I’m traveling.

Here is a synthwave track I made during a recent trip. As a creative challenge, I decided to write and mix it entirely in Cubasis, using Cubasis’ instruments and effects only.

The track is composed by seven instances of Micrologue for the synth parts, and four instances of Classic Machines for the drums. I have been neglecting the Micrologue ever since I bought Cubasis, erroneously judging it a less capable synth, but after playing with it for a while I can say that it’s a quite an enjoyable and potentially overlooked instrument, especially with the recent addition of the arpeggiator/sequencer module, which is fantastic to create rhythmic chord patterns and pulsating arpeggiated sequence that are so prominently featured in this track. I like being able to set velocity, gate, and pitch on a per step basis. The presets are great and inspiring, and it’s relatively straightforward to come up with interesting new sounds. It’s also very light on the CPU, which is crucial in an iOS-based music production environment. I definitely plan to use the Micrologue in future tracks, most likely by complementing it with the amazing Moog emulations.

I used Cubasis' Classic Machines for the drums part. I'd like to see a bit more flexibility and fine tuning on a per sample basis, although this limitation can be easily circumvented by creating dedicated tracks for each drum part.

As for the effects, they are all Cubasis' own effects (including the Waves one for mixing/mastering), with the exception of DAW cassette on the master track for a bit of tape saturation, as I couldn’t achieve quite the same results with Cubasis’ own effects.

All in all, the workflow in Cubasis is efficient and gratifying, even with the well known limitations such as lack of grouping arrangement and ability to change the tempo mid-song, but I'm sure these features will be implemented in a future update. I'm definitely going to use it again to make new songs, this time incorporating the mighty Moog synths and other external effects.

Enjoy and thanks for listening!

Comments

• That was great. Really liked the track. So did my 17 yr old daughter.

Although I have no complaints about the sound, I suspect you could get it to sound even better if you chose from everything you have at your disposal. It would be interesting to hear a mix that used 3rd party stuff too, for comparison.

That video was kick-ass as well.

• This is fantastic!

(Micrologue is my favorite “bread and butter” iOS synth... it’s a shame that we can’t use it outside of Cubasis. Some fantastic presets too! )

• @CracklePot said:
    That was great. Really liked the track. So did my 17 yr old daughter.

Although I have no complaints about the sound, I suspect you could get it to sound even better if you chose from everything you have at your disposal. It would be interesting to hear a mix that used 3rd party stuff too, for comparison.

I thought about that too, and eventually I decided to finish this track using Cubasis instruments and effects only so that I have a strong push to make another one immediately after using my other synths and effects as well, now that I'm familiar with the general workflow. I recently bought Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 and can't wait to put it into production in the mixing and mastering chains!

Thanks! I think it took more to make the video than the track itself :smiley:

• @legsmechanical said:
    This is fantastic!

(Micrologue is my favorite “bread and butter” iOS synth... it’s a shame that we can’t use it outside of Cubasis. Some fantastic presets too! )

I'd love to see the arpeggiator as a separate MIDI plug in! It's so much fun!
    I wonder if Bram Bos' Perforator could be an equivalent alternative.

• Good stuff man ! Really enjoyed this track and it's perfect with the visuals!

• @reasOne said:
    Good stuff man ! Really enjoyed this track and it's perfect with the visuals!

Thanks for listening! It took it as a chance to finally learn keyframes in Lumafushion :)

• Good job 👍

• That was good. Did enjoy 😊

• Very good. Thanks.

• edited May 2019

Track was nice, as a VJ I gotta say, those canned resolume loops show up in too many places - next time try and do all 'hacker' type 80s computer graphics scenes from movies, maybe start with WarGames... Or Weird Science... way more retro ;)

• great job, good work with retro synthwave sound - everything sounds EXACTLY like it should sound ! :+1:

• edited May 2019

@silent1 said:

Recently, I have been using my iPad and K-Board combo as a lightweight music production kit for when I’m traveling.

Here is a synthwave track I made during a recent trip. As a creative challenge, I decided to write and mix it entirely in Cubasis, using Cubasis’ instruments and effects only.

The track is composed by seven instances of Micrologue for the synth parts, and four instances of Classic Machines for the drums. I have been neglecting the Micrologue ever since I bought Cubasis, erroneously judging it a less capable synth, but after playing with it for a while I can say that it’s a quite an enjoyable and potentially overlooked instrument, especially with the recent addition of the arpeggiator/sequencer module, which is fantastic to create rhythmic chord patterns and pulsating arpeggiated sequence that are so prominently featured in this track. I like being able to set velocity, gate, and pitch on a per step basis. The presets are great and inspiring, and it’s relatively straightforward to come up with interesting new sounds. It’s also very light on the CPU, which is crucial in an iOS-based music production environment. I definitely plan to use the Micrologue in future tracks, most likely by complementing it with the amazing Moog emulations.

I used Cubasis' Classic Machines for the drums part. I'd like to see a bit more flexibility and fine tuning on a per sample basis, although this limitation can be easily circumvented by creating dedicated tracks for each drum part.

As for the effects, they are all Cubasis' own effects (including the Waves one for mixing/mastering), with the exception of DAW cassette on the master track for a bit of tape saturation, as I couldn’t achieve quite the same results with Cubasis’ own effects.

All in all, the workflow in Cubasis is efficient and gratifying, even with the well known limitations such as lack of grouping arrangement and ability to change the tempo mid-song, but I'm sure these features will be implemented in a future update. I'm definitely going to use it again to make new songs, this time incorporating the mighty Moog synths and other external effects.

One can only imagine the joy the Cubasis guys felt after listening to this song.. I must admit it is one of the best productions I have heard here..
    Think I will get that Micrologue iap and try to work in Cubasis a bit more now.. Wish it had Ableton Link though..

Thank for sharing.. Excellent..

Edit.. 2nd listen and though, this would be a great demo project to be included with Cubasis..

• @scottsunn said:
    Track was nice, as a VJ I gotta say, those canned resolume loops show up in too many places - next time try and do all 'hacker' type 80s computer graphics scenes from movies, maybe start with WarGames... Or Weird Science... way more retro ;)

That's a great idea! I loved wargames when I was a kid!

I did some research and there are actually very few "free" VJ loops to be used with music videos, and the Beeple ones are for sure among the top ones.

Would re-using scenes from movies not be liable to copyright claims?

• edited May 2019

@silent1 said:

Not if you alter them, chop them up and mirror them and fuk with the contrast etc... I've never heard of anyone coming after people UNLESS you are doing something for a big corporation (actual money to sue for).

Look up copyright vs collage or 50 percent clause or something, can't remeber, but there is an actual to use stuff legally if you put your own artistic touch on it and don't use it to promote satan suicide or something.

• You can always film a TV too, looks cool and is fair use if it is collaged.

• @RajahP said:

One can only imagine the joy the Cubasis guys felt after listening to this song.. I must admit it is one of the best productions I have heard here..
    Think I will get that Micrologue iap and try to work in Cubasis a bit more now.. Wish it had Ableton Link though..

Thank for sharing.. Excellent..

Edit.. 2nd listen and though, this would be a great demo project to be included with Cubasis..

Thanks! I hope they liked it too! We tend to bombard them with complaints and/or new feature requests, so I would hope they enjoyed the track, even though I mentioned some of the features I'd like to see in a future update :P

• @silent1 said:

Great one!
    Another proof of how far one can get by simply using what's in the box and actually reducing the number of tools used :smiley:

• Excellent! I enjoyed the music and the visuals (I also like using Micrologue but I wouldn't have any idea where to start trying to create such visuals though!)

• @silent1 said:

Great one!
    Another proof of how far one can get by simply using what's in the box and actually reducing the number of tools used :smiley:

It's a bit like the KVR "One Synth Challenge" that has sparked a number of fantastic tracks!
    Here's the list by synth, click on the synth of your choice and find your way to the forum submissions for each synth.
    https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/

• Beautiful track. Great YouTube channel too!

We all buy endless synths on here but let’s face it, a Micrologue can do anything virtual analogue wise. It’s much more interesting to me to see videos that are done all in one DAW with its own built-in synths and effects.

• Great job! And good insight into your process! I’m definitely a fan of limiting my tools for a straightforward workflow. This is why that works!

• edited May 2019

Nice job! Cool melody!!

Release another version with keyboard/drum/arpeggiator/automation animations (without visualizations). That would be even cooler!

See mine here for an idea of what I’m talking:

youtube.com/MobileMusic

Cheers!

• @legsmechanical said:
    This is fantastic!

Yep. I would also like Legato in Micrologue since it is in the Arpeggiator @LFS .

Also their free Nanologue is not AU.

• edited May 2019

@silent1 said:

@CracklePot said:
    That was great. Really liked the track. So did my 17 yr old daughter.

I thought about that too, and eventually I decided to finish this track using Cubasis instruments and effects only so that I have a strong push to make another one immediately after using my other synths and effects as well, now that I'm familiar with the general workflow. I recently bought Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 and can't wait to put it into production in the mixing and mastering chains!

Thanks! I think it took more to make the video than the track itself :smiley:

Making video out of audio project is one of my biggest challenges too, lol. If it wasn’t for video editing, I could make more song projects.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2019

@AlterEgo_UK said:
    Excellent! I enjoyed the music and the visuals (I also like using Micrologue but I wouldn't have any idea where to start trying to create such visuals though!)

I would have no idea either! Luckily Beebple knows it very well and was so generous to make his video loop free to be used by everybody :)

• @rs2000 said:

Great one!

Though I'm not immune either from stuffing my iPad with apps I loaded once or twice and never really sat down to learn them inside out (I'm looking at you Quanta and Gestrument Pro!)

• @silent1 said:

@rs2000 said:

Great one!

Though I'm not immune either from stuffing my iPad with apps I loaded once or twice and never really sat down to learn them inside out (I'm looking at you Quanta and Gestrument Pro!)

Quanta is in fact a great example on how to complement a synth like Micrologue with sounds you'll never be able to pull out of the other.

• all the videos on the new retro wave YouTube channel pretty much use recycled eighties movies 😉

@silent1 said:

@scottsunn said:

That's a great idea! I loved wargames when I was a kid!

I did some research and there are actually very few "free" VJ loops to be used with music videos, and the Beeple ones are for sure among the top ones.

• LFSLFS
    edited May 2019

@silent1 said:

WOW... this is a real great sounding track, and nice looking video too!
    We've pretty much enjoyed watching this... :)

@silent1
    Thank you very much for sharing your great work silent1!

Best,
    Lars