Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: The Enemy Within

Comments

• @LinearLineman said:
    My friends, I need to show you something and hope you will understand my intent is not to inflame, or even encourage heated debate. My intent is that we should all see and understand what is going on in the minds of many Americans (and all over the globe) these days more than ever.

It has been so easy for me to attribute much of the current events in the US to the simple escalation of political combat (there are fine people on both sides, after all) and that they are events that can be controlled by the rule of law and the administration of a good dose of the US constitution. However, after today, I am really not so sure. I want to be able to comfort myself and say “everything will be alright” but today I am not so sure. I want to believe democratic institutions will hold and continue on in their flawed way to make the best of a bad situation and that we, as Americans, are citizens of the world and will always, in our hearts, strive to overcome the obstacles of the dark side of our natures. But today I am not so sure..

I was watching FOX news to get their slant on Attorney General William Barr’s testimony before the Senate. Though it is personally disturbing, I try to inform myself as to the alternate reality that now exists in the minds of roughly a third of American voters. While listening I hit the comments and found this exchange about Jerry Nadler, US Congressman and Democratic leader of one of the committees trying to exert some oversight (as is their constitutional mandate) over the current administration.

Johanna Roets
    Nadler with a face like that I'll stay in the water. looks like a frog.
    13 minutes ago

Mario
    Too bad someone didn't decide to kill him at the time he was born. Oh well... Someone can just kill him now!
    Who volunteers for the job?

I have read many a hateful comment but this one.... well, this is something quite special, is it not?
    There is nothing more for me to say except words matter and these speak for themselves. I only ask that your thoughts remain collegial and refrain from bashing any particular person or organization. Thank you.

• edited May 2019

@CrazySynthMan, the real purpose of this thread is to see if we can discuss one of the top three volatile topics without melting down, IMO. It didn't start that way for me, but it is what is happening. You are a good example. You are frustrated about the one sidedness, yet you speak reasonably, with some passion, about the universal conundrum both sides face. That is why I am impressed that the leader's name calling is not reciprocated by other Democratic politicians, tho I have head a couple of mild monikers for Barr.

Maybe a good question is why more supporters are not showing up here. Several possibilities.

1. The majority of vocal members here are on the other "side" as you characterize them and, like yourself, many regard their opinions as "bashing" tho, IMO most seem just to be expressing themselves in a pretty mild way, just as you have done. And then, there are those who look down from a greater height and comment on the totality... maybe the "philosophy of politics" as some one mentioned.

2. Two or three have strayed a bit into derogatory responses, it is true. But to point the finger and say "see, see! These guys just want to bash the other side!" I guess it is to the credit of those other "side" that they have not responded with vitriol. But that does not change the fact that the man at the top spews hatred and divisiveness every day. If the Dems could dominate the news cycle, as he does, perhaps they would seem as craftily foolish and mendacious as he does, but they simply do not have the bully pulpit.

3. It is very likely that the overtly scary side simply does not have the wherewithal (yourself excepted, of course) to compete in a discussion where everyone is scrutinizing the level of civility in people's responses. If someone were to use a string of expletives in this context it would only show them up for the infantile shit throwers they might actually be.

4. This thread, tho diverse, is putting an emphasis on facts. Something the great leader has ignored over 10,000 times in his tenure (according to the Washington Post, which we all know is only interested in defending the size of Jeff Bezos' penis). But let us be generous. He misspoke, falsified, politicized only half that amount. That is still about eight times a day (check my math...
      Oh, it is only six? Well then, he should speak to Abe to again for a Nobel nomination for Truth in our Time. The facts say he is a liar and that he uses lies for political, personal and divisive purposes.

Can anyone say here that he is a uniter? America was a country that elected and re-elected an African American president. Is that more or less likely again after these past two years? And what was that president's legacy? For one he presided over the worst economic collapse since 1929. The road to recovery has been going on about ten years. Actually, the longest recovery in history, I believe. Not three years, but ten. And it is very possible that in the next six it will collapse again, and worser. If President "T" as he once wanted to be called (but it never stuck) is In office then do you think he will say it is his fault? Truthfully no politician would. Yet he takes total credit for the "greatest recovery" in history (as well as the greatest trade deficit, greatest spending proposal, greatest school loan debt crisis and greatest national debt). Are these our leader's fault? No they are not Well, maybe the proposed budget and trade deficit due to his being a tariff Man. But let us be generous. He is not interested in acquiring all the "greatest" records. Just the ones that serve his inner narrative.So let us try to deal with real, provable facts here. Perhaps it will have a ripple effect.

So, please, let the other "side" (when has this division into sides been more blatant?. In the Obama era? Hmmm.) speak truth here. Let them not be afraid, because truth is their shield and sword.

• @daveypoo. Right on. This thread rates rather high on the entertainment scale. And it is a nail biter. Will we have the restraint not to melt in a molten mass of vituperativeness? I believe it is possible.

• Please don’t misunderstand me and think that I am trying to push my personal beliefs on anyone. We are all given the freedom to believe as we choose, as it should be, even if speaking what we believe not allowed in certain places. Many forums completely forbid the subjects of politics and faith, because of how fast it can get nasty. I believe attempting to force my beliefs on a person, only pushes them farther in the other direction, and in my case, that would be a sin. I’m a Bible believing Christian, and to that end, what I believe is right and wrong is based on what is written in scripture rather than my personal opinion. That’s the lens I look at the world through, not in judgment, because I’m not the one who is fit to judge, only to compare what is said and done, to what is written in scripture, and base my opinion on that, rather than leaning on my own understanding. What the world believes, as a whole, changes over time, but what has been written, (in my belief by God) does not. The point I’m getting at, is that in Washington, they don’t have a solid foundation to make decisions on. The Constitution is being eroded over time by the powers that be, our rights our slowly being taken away, however, what is written in scripture, stays the same, God doesn’t change over time, He is the same today, as yesterday, and as tomorrow. Again, everyone is allowed to believe as they choose, but having a strong foundation, rather than what a personal opinion may be at a given time, gives you both a focused direction, and a purpose. I’m not the one who is qualified to judge, but the one who is, has spoken.

• and he said love thy neighbor as thy self, wish everyone had your intentions ripper.., if the GoP opened the book as much as they waved it around there wouldn't be 28 states that allow people to be fired from their jobs based on their sexual orientation.

• Instituting some timeouts

• Man, don't you hate it when Dad puts you in the corner? Please put your tray tables back in their upright position and remain civilized. Thank you... and play on.

• @Ripper7620 said:

Even though this country is largely divided, I don’t hold politically to the left/right paradigm. I honestly believe that the problems we face put us all largely on very near the same side, when taking into consideration the evil and corruption that exists in high office. I don’t believe that the politicians are the ones who are truly calling the shots at the end of the day. According to sources I have a tendency to trust, those people who are truly running the show are such people as pedophiles and murderers. I won’t argue politics with my fellow Americans, because we face such great evil in high places. I believe to a large degree, we are being played against one another, to distract us from what is really going on behind closed doors.

^^^ true story

• edited May 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    @daveypoo. Right on. This thread rates rather high on the entertainment scale. And it is a nail biter. Will we have the restraint not to melt in a molten mass of vituperativeness? I believe it is possible.

Yes, quite entertaining! It also reminds me that I haven’t seen ‘The Purge’ yet. Any good?

• @CrazySynthMan, the real purpose of this thread is to see if we can discuss one of the top three volatile >topics without melting down, IMO.

With respect @LinearLineman, there is no point for us Trump supporters to engage deeply here other than to let others know there are others out there who might think differently. There is no way to have a nuanced discussion with people who believe Trump is the devil. And this place, like a lot of others is a heavily biased echo chamber where people not only can pile on in really nasty ways but are encouraged to do so by their peers.

Just sayin’

• @LinearLineman said:
    @daveypoo. Right on. This thread rates rather high on the entertainment scale. And it is a nail biter. Will we have the restraint not to melt in a molten mass of vituperativeness? I believe it is possible.

This thread started out completely civil but predictably has devolved into name calling. Such is the heart of the issue here - the inability to have a reasonable discourse with opinions backed by facts. Since "facts" are now based on people's opinions and feelings rather than concrete things like evidence and science, there's no longer an agreed-upon arena for such discourse to occur.

This is why I leave only silly comments after awhile - is not possible to continue to take the conversation seriously despite the seriousness of the topic.

• edited May 2019

@Daveypoo said:

@LinearLineman said:

This thread started out completely civil but predictably has devolved into name calling. Such is the heart of the issue here - the inability to have a reasonable discourse with opinions backed by facts. Since "facts" are now based on people's opinions and feelings rather than concrete things like evidence and science, there's no longer an agreed-upon arena for such discourse to occur.

It is a shame that one can’t make citations or post some form of connection or ‘link’ to a preexisting document, or even a ‘page’ that contains information that backs up ones point. Eh, that would probably be more effort than it is worth.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lazy

• There will be consequences for this conversation.

It's fair to consider that we did not know the political orientation of fellow Forum members
    and are often shocked to learn someone doesn't share our world view. Nothing exposes a world view like a firm position on the political spectrum.

Now this new knowledge carries over into our discussion of EQ's, DAW's, workflows, and
    music production tools. And it only serves to muddy waters that are already murky because, to be honest, we don't all agree on what makes music good but we don't let that get in the way of sharing best practices and helping each other.

Some will say this conversation needs to happen because people need to know what's going on. True. But maybe people are expecting a break from that "news" gathering activity here.

I would really like to know what aspects of President Trump's record are noteworthy in the view of his supporters. I'd suspect he's a considered to be champion for:

Making abortions illegal (which has an unshakable moral foundation)
    Adding more conservatives to the supreme court (assisting with #1)
    Taking a hardline on illegal immigration
    Stopping the influx of "non-traditional" races and religions
    Reducing government spending on social welfare, education, healthcare
    Increased spending on military readiness
    Reducing regulations that impact businesses to operate profitably
    Allowing the transfer of wealth without taxation
    Reducing capital gains tax impacts

I can create the list without addressing any particular pushback in an attempt to understand someone discussing politics. If you try that you'll learn something and have the possibility to change someone's thinking incrementally. They will ignore defending Trump to gain the benefits of his administration on these deeply held conservative values.

Conservatives who hold these as essentials social and governance benefits are willing to
    "look the other way" on the other details of his communication and behavioral style.

It's generally helpful in a debate to argue for the other side and then work on those
    foundations to move the needle a bit. Expecting someone to cross the chasm is not going to happen.

• I like your list MCD...

regards this thread c'mon ya'll less detraction and more facts, as a matter of fact lets make this thread a safe space for facts

• @AudioGus said:

@Daveypoo said:

@LinearLineman said:

It is a shame that one can’t make citations or post some form of connection or ‘link’ to a preexisting document, or even a ‘page’ that contains information that backs up ones point. Eh, that would probably be more effort than it is worth.

I dunno, this cookie is not so tough, for example every factpinion I posted is common knowledge and needed no documentation to back up any of it... what did people do with common knowledge before the internet existed, they supplied documentation when needed but I haven't read anything from anyone in this whole thread that needed to be backed up with a link... we've been talking about some of the most popularized subjects in eons... but maybe I missed something, what statements did you guys think needed fact checking?

• edited May 2019

Damn, so dramatic.
    A couple of people got a little hot-headed.
    And that is creating consequences for the Forum in general?
    I don’t see that happening.

If people are judgemental and like to hold grudges over opinions, they can leave the forum and it would be for the better. If they stay, I probably won’t engage them in a discussion, unless they are asking an iOS/music related question.

Political views are not what I object to. Someone being an arrogant, egotistical asshole is what I object to. But even then, I would help the person out with their on-topic questions and dilemmas.

• edited May 2019

@kobamoto said:

@AudioGus said:

@Daveypoo said:

@LinearLineman said:

I dunno, this cookie is not so tough, for example every factpinion I posted is common knowledge and needed no documentation to back up any of it... what did people do with common knowledge before the internet existed, they supplied documentation when needed but I haven't read anything from anyone in this whole thread that needed to be backed up with a link... we've been talking about some of the most popularized subjects in eons... but maybe I missed something, what statements did you guys think needed fact checking?

A wise man named @kobamoto once said (was it page three of this thread?) ‘I need more than popcorn, I need facts.’ I am in the popcorn with extra facts camp.

• I don't see any reason to take any of this personal either, it's not like somebody broke your beat machine... :)

• edited May 2019

yeah but we're not in such esoteric territory that we need fact checking just yet are we..... my bad if we are but I haven't seen anyone challenge anyone's truth yet

• edited May 2019

@kobamoto said:
    yeah but we're not in such esoteric territory that we need fact checking just yet are we..... my bad if we are but I haven't seen anyone challenge anyone's truth yet

Mmm, I see. Sorry, I am not saying I need fact checking, in that I doubt the validity of any of these perspectives. I am honestly getting more interested in these topics and would be an extra layer of fascinated to see what kinds of sources people are citing as trustworthy. For me it is more about an interest in the various lenses and gateways through which to view the world than it is judging individuals. Honestly I couldn’t even tell you who is on what side or who said what without going back and specifically linking names to comments. To me when I am thinking about this stuff later it is all ‘some guy on AB forum said X’ etc.

• @CracklePot said:
    Someone being an arrogant, egotistical assholes is what I object to.

I have learned slowly that I will never be thanked for helping someone understand they are
    an idiot. I used to assume they we're just too stupid to get it. I now realize I was stupid to
    think you could re-wire someone's brain with words.

Stupid and crazy are also used to describe the relationship between 2 drivers that pass on the highway. Context is essential to understand anyone.

Driver 1: That crazy asshole is driving too fast.
    Driver 2: That idiot shouldn't even be allowed to drive and hog the road.

Political discussions are a lot like that... different contexts. So we tend to resort to value judgments about each other and impugn motives. It's usually a "hung jury" experience
    that can't reach consensus.

• @AudioGus said:

@kobamoto said:

Mmm, I see. Sorry, I am not saying I need fact checking, in that I doubt the validity of any of these perspectives. I am honestly getting more interested in these topics and would be an extra layer of fascinated to see what kinds of sources people are citing as trustworthy. For me it is more about an interest in the various lenses and gateways through which to view the world than it is judging individuals. Honestly I couldn’t even tell you who is on what side or who said what without going back and specifically linking names to comments. To me when I am thinking about this stuff late it is all ‘some guy on AB forum said X’ etc.

got'cha, hadn't thought of it like that but can relate...

• Well, maybe this is the definitive and last political thread. I do not see anyone driven from this forum or tainted forever by the viewpoint of another. I hearken to the much missed Dawdles. Many found him a pain in the ass, but everyone allowed him to engage.... well, up to a point. Ultimately he was his own worst enemy.... the “enemy within” I was really talking about. I suspect only the real haters will be affected by this and tempted to leave or shut up.

1/ I am disheartened that those who disagree with the majority viewpoint will not even attempt to show the achievements of the “other” side. I am reminded of 12 Angry Men. Henry Fonda the sole hope on a jury filled with contempt, bias and conviction that the “other” is guilty of murdering his own father. In two hours Fonda exposes the prejudice, false assumptions and personal bias of each of the other jurors. And how does he accomplish this? With facts and logic. Those were indeed the good old days.

2/ I ask again that someone who is of the fact based opinion that Trump is not divisive, but in fact a great and heroic leader who has made many changes for the good of everyone (the prez represents everyone, I believe) to speak up. To take a chance, hold your temper and frustration and speak the truth with facts to back it up. I ask all who would disagree to restrain their passions, listen with an open mind and respond in a civil manner.
    If we can do this it would be a real achievement,

3/ who is the enemy within? You can see in this thread that even those who share the majority opinion expressed here are simply a hair trigger away from verbal abuse and feelings of violence. As paraphrased here and as Al Capp, in his genius, said in Pogo... “I have seen the enemy and he is us”. The Christians say “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The Jews say “Do not unto others as you would not have them do unto you.” The Jews, from centuries of bitter experience, know that good people are capable of the worst actions under the right circumstances. The rabbis understood that our own natures must be tamed first, that each individual is flawed and one is personally responsible to get a grip on his/her emotions and fear.

4/ I am sorry to say that the opposition is now beginning to adopt our great leader’s defamation of character using sloganeering and contemptuous nicknames. Nancy Pelosi has hung the name “Grim Reaper” on Mitch McConnell and Joe Biden, in response to being called “Sleepy Joe” has saddled the leader with the appellation “Clown”. Barr has become “No holds Barr” or “Low Barr”. This type of catcalling has not been present in politics since “Tricky Dick” almost fifty years ago. And who has brought it back? I think the facts speak for themselves. Please, I beg you, splain it to me otherwise.

5/ I do not regret starting this thread, but it has given me a lot to think about. I am not sure I would do it again.

• edited May 2019

Reminds me of the good old days...

• I am disheartened that those who disagree with the majority viewpoint will not even attempt to show the achievements of the “other” side. I am reminded of 12 Angry Men. Henry Fonda the sole hope on a jury filled with contempt, bias and conviction that the “other” is guilty of murdering his own father. In two hours Fonda exposes the prejudice, false assumptions and personal bias of each of the other jurors. And how does he accomplish this? With facts and logic. Those were indeed the good old days.

I understand the sentiment, but snake oil and heuristic thinking abounded back then too along with MORE prejudice, just with fewer consequences visible to most due to the speed of transmission and the sheer number of the populace.

PS
    Calling people names is a mental hack similar to this.
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1/23/1624058/-Trumps-Raised-Fist-Gesture-Explained-NLP-Anchoring

Anchoring is reminiscent of Pavlov's experiments with dogs. Pavlov sounded a bell as the animal was given food. The animals salivated when they saw the food. After some parings of the bell and the food, the bell alone elicited salivation.

Calling people out for bad behavior like racists actually being racist is not a mental hack. It is a way to encourage acceptable behavior with social pressure.

Note this is a hack:
    Being an actual racist and insisting everyone that calls you a racist is in fact being themselves racist is well the same as muddying the waters by saying "nanny-nanny boo-boo" I'm rubber and you're glue. It may be childish but it devolves the conversation to the point where we argue about what being racist is while racists continue on unhindered.

@LinearLineman PM anytime you want to discuss anything while not so publicly (but not wrongly) airing your concerns.

• PPS
    I can think of "people from one side" who put targets on politicians and judges because they disagree with them or have been encouraged to do so by others. Also Pizzagate anyone.

I'm probably gonna get put in timeout now or be the final straw that closes this thread.

Back to the music...

• edited May 2019

No, @audiblevideo, your comments are rather mild and not hate or fear based. I think that is the basis for a time out, not rational thinking.

Oddly, I think without name calling, a defense of the right or a complete mental breakdown by someone, that folks are losing interest in this subject. And that is probably good. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

• I voted for Trump.
    I think he's a shit president (but still the better option by far.)
    My primary political concern is protecting the bill of rights.

It's sad that saying "I voted for the president of the United States" is considered beyond the pale by large segments of the population. (Honk honk?)

• I have stayed out of this vanity thread so far, but this post really made me curious.

By protecting the Bill of Rights, @dustgod, am I correct in assuming a Trump voter is really only interested in No. 2? Because I think we can all agree that Trump has undermined the First Amendment in truly alarming ways, no matter what your political persuasion.

• The attacks on free speech are coming from the left. Deplatforming, bannings, shutting down events with violence, etc

I'm assuming you are talking about Trump saying mean things about some news agencies. Not a new thing (Obama attacked Fox news) and he hasn't shut anyone down or penalized said companies. Not actually an attack on the first amendment. My biggest problem is he has not done anything to protect free speech online, but that is largely up to Congress.

This discussion has been closed.