Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Scythe Synthesizer by Bitmask Studio Ltd. Is free right now

Comments

• I bought all the iAP's also. It's a cool product with much potential.

• Never crashed once. Air 1 12.2

• Removed, reboot and re-installed Scyth. I could change 3 presets(random choice) while sound is playing without any problem. When I changed to the 4th preset the app crashed.

Hope for a fix or good tip because I use and like Scyth very much.

• edited April 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@Pierre118 said:
    Perhaps a stupid question, sorry for that. But where can I find my purchases? I do not see them in the presets?> @Paul16 said:

@Crawlingwind said:
    Anybody else getting crashes? I'm mostly trying out stuff on my bedroom Air 1, 10.3.3 and have experienced crashes, esp in the Wave Creator. Will see how it plays on my Pro 10.5.

Air2, 12.0.1 - Yep, especially on swopping out presets.

Same here, crashing on the presets. (IPad Pro 12.9 2017 model, IOS 12.2)

Are notes sounding when you change presets? It seems like it is especially prone to crash if it is generating sound and the preset or wavetable changes.

Yup, it primarily crashes for me when sound is being generated, via the latchkey, & then changing presets - the audio crackles & breaks up prior to the app quitting. Assuming it’s just a case of cpu overload as there’s clearly a fair bit going on what with it using wavetables. Fewer crashes if I remember to unlatch before swopping out.

Personally I still really like it & feel that it has great potential, can’t regret acquiring it gratis & then having punted on a few of the expansion packs.

• @Paul16 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Pierre118 said:
    Perhaps a stupid question, sorry for that. But where can I find my purchases? I do not see them in the presets?> @Paul16 said:

@Crawlingwind said:
    Anybody else getting crashes? I'm mostly trying out stuff on my bedroom Air 1, 10.3.3 and have experienced crashes, esp in the Wave Creator. Will see how it plays on my Pro 10.5.

Are notes sounding when you change presets? It seems like it is especially prone to crash if it is generating sound and the preset or wavetable changes.

Yup, it primarily crashes for me when sound is being generated, via the latchkey, & then changing presets - the audio crackles & breaks up prior to the app quitting. Assuming it’s just a case of cpu overload as there’s clearly a fair bit going on what with it using wavetables. Fewer crashes if I remember to unlatch before swopping out.

Same for me. I managed to browse a few presets after unlatching.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Paul16 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Pierre118 said:

@Crawlingwind said:

As long as I remember to unlatch or turn off notes, I don’t get many crashes.

I like Scythe quite a lot, and I don’t thinks it’s presets do it justice. I mostly use wavetables I’ve created with AudioShare importing. I use Twisted Wave a fair amount to hack together sequences of single-cycle waveforms grabbed from my various synths that I bring into Scythe.

The filter delay adds a lot of character. And I pretty much always end up running Scythe through a delay and or reverb.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Paul16 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Pierre118 said:

@Crawlingwind said:

I like Scythe quite a lot, and I don’t thinks it’s presets do it justice. I mostly use wavetables I’ve created with AudioShare importing. I use Twisted Wave a fair amount to hack together sequences of single-cycle waveforms grabbed from my various synths that I bring into Scythe.

The filter delay adds a lot of character. And I pretty much always end up running Scythe through a delay and or reverb.

Yep, the filter delay he has in the app is pretty decent. I like a lot of the devs presets, but most are kind of metallic and dark. That’s cool, but I enjoy messing with importing my own samples more.

The wave creator iap is really well done, but I think it requires a bit more skill to get great stuff from it.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Paul16 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Pierre118 said:

@Crawlingwind said:

Yeah it's got an interesting sound, I'll definitely use it in a track at some point. I'll have to try making some single-cycle waveforms. Just discovered the sample import, so will have a bit of fun with that for a while.

• Here is a track done entirely with Scythe plus some reverb and a little Kosmonaut. I am posting as I used sounds that are a bit different from what you hear in the included presets. The sounds were built from custom wavetables that started as imported sounds. There are just two different presets used, and each uses one wavetable.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Here is a track done entirely with Scythe plus some reverb and a little Kosmonaut. I am posting as I used sounds that are a bit different from what you hear in the included presets. The sounds were built from custom wavetables that started as imported sounds. There are just two different presets used, and each uses one wavetable.

Like it!

btw The developer replied my email about the crashing of Scyth. He will look into it.

• @Pierre118 said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Here is a track done entirely with Scythe plus some reverb and a little Kosmonaut. I am posting as I used sounds that are a bit different from what you hear in the included presets. The sounds were built from custom wavetables that started as imported sounds. There are just two different presets used, and each uses one wavetable.

Like it!

btw The developer replied my email about the crashing of Scyth. He will look into it.

Tx!

• edited May 2019

@espiegel123 and others,

Jarryd, the developer of Scyth, send me a e-mail that he just pushed a update to the App Store. The crashing when changing presets while playing sounds is solved.

• @reasOne said:
    I've never been able to make this guy sound good 🤣 that's just me tho..
    Anyone wanna share some presets you've made

Same here. I just downloaded it; free presets sound like crap. Next.

• The update seems to have successfully addressed the frequent crashes when changing presets. Still seems not to be saving/restoring the filter delay state with presets.

• @espiegel123 said:
    The update seems to have successfully addressed the frequent crashes when changing presets. Still seems not to be saving/restoring the filter delay state with presets.

The preset crash is a big fix. Thank you to the developer! This synth is big potential for little money. I hope the delay state gets fixed as well.

• App and IAPs are on sale right now, but both the Bitmask Studio website and Twitter account are gone... Seems ominous for future support. Anyone have contact with the dev and know what's up?

• iPhone version is no longer available in the UK AppStore.

• @EricWalkingshaw said:
    App and IAPs are on sale right now, but both the Bitmask Studio website and Twitter account are gone... Seems ominous for future support. Anyone have contact with the dev and know what's up?

The developer decided a month or few ago to stop working on music software. He shut down his YouTube channel even.

He said that there might be maintenance releases.

• Thanks @espiegel123. That's too bad. It seems like a cool synth and I like seeing solo operations succeed. Might get it anyway since it's so cheap.

• @EricWalkingshaw said:
    Thanks @espiegel123. That's too bad. It seems like a cool synth and I like seeing solo operations succeed. Might get it anyway since it's so cheap.

It is very cool. Has a unique sound . I'll be using it as long as it still runs.

• @espiegel123 said:

How did I miss this?
    Nice work. It sounds great.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@espiegel123 said:

How did I miss this?
    Nice work. It sounds great.

Thanks! The really glitchy sound was created by creating some simple waveforms in other synths (sine wave, triangle wave and square wave) at 220 Hz and using Twisted Wave where I copy pasted from the simple waveforms into a document to create a waveform that started sine-wave like and then switched abruptly between various waveforms. I then save that into AudioShare and imported into Scythe.

• @espiegel123 That's sad to hear. This is one of my favorites for making ambient music. There are so much possiblilities.

• edited June 2019

I like that app. I think that dev was discouraged by how his hard work was under appreciated.

• In my opinion, it might have been more appreciated with a manual of some kind. I have it open as we speak and it seems I can only STUMBLE onto useful things because I don’t totally understand the concept. I’ve come back to this many times and the sounds are fascinating, but unless I can have a bit more control, I don’t know how to even unlock the driver’s side door. There was a post here about various manuals, and apparently there WAS one, but the bitmaskstudio site is no longer active.

• @motmeister
    The manual is the icon immediately left of keyboard icon at top.

• appreciation is a two way street..

Maybe they were bummed that it wasn't as big a money maker as they'd anticipated. I didn't jump on it originally because it seemed like yet another standalone synth in a world of Auv3's. And as far as I recall, you can't load your own tables.

If only it was Auv3 and you could load your own wavetables.. I imagine it would have done much better. Who knows..

• @palm said:
    appreciation is a two way street..

Maybe they were bummed that it wasn't as big a money maker as they'd anticipated. I didn't jump on it originally because it seemed like yet another standalone synth in a world of Auv3's. And as far as I recall, you can't load your own tables.

If only it was Auv3 and you could load your own wavetables.. I imagine it would have done much better. Who knows..

You can create your own wavetables and create wavetables by importing sounds.

Since even the most popular music creation apps don't generate a lot of revenue, I think one needs to be personally pretty driven to create the tools and derive satisfaction from either the process of creation or from their use -- and have a pretty thick skin. Even the best apps generate a fair amount of critical feedback.

My sense is that the dev had lost his enthusiasm and was more interested in other programming domains.

It is a shame. While it has room for improvement (particularly the ability to share presets and wavetables), it has a pretty cool and unique vibe.

It is interesting how quickly he went from seeming interested in moving it forward to closing up shop.

• @Jes said:
    @motmeister
    The manual is the icon immediately left of keyboard icon at top.

[grin]... if there had been a manual it would have helped me find the manual... thanks! I’ll go look at it!