Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

In your opinion, what are some great granular synths?

I love a good granular synth, but I’m totally lost on what to try first. I have Auria Pro, do they offer one or more? Also, I’d really love recommendations on where to start with the AP plugins, as there are so many to choose from, they are a little spendy, and I can’t really afford to just buy one and hope I like it, so if in your opinion, there’s any first must haves from AP, I’d love to hear what you guys like the most from AP.

Comments

• the top 3 that come to my mind are Samplr, Tardigrain and Spacecraft

• I don’t know what is inside Auria - i simply don’t have it.
    As the outcome of these granular synths are very different, in my opinion, it depends a little on what you want to achieve.

I would suggest you check out:

• SpaceCraft
    • Quanta

To get a feeling. The output is very different.

To get deeper and more “strange” in a possible good way there are the apeSoft’s (iPulsaret etc)

Maybe search for some YouTube videos on these 3 first to get a direction.

• edited May 2019

@gkillmaster said:
    the top 3 that come to my mind are Samplr, Tardigrain and Spacecraft

Thank you very much I really appreciate your recommendations, I just picked up Grain Science, but haven’t got to it yet. I’m going to check out some demos on YouTube of your recommendations. So far, I’m very impressed with the potential I can see in AP itself, I don’t think I’ll regret upgrading, as I’m able to record and modify the midi to an impressive (to me) degree.

• @MrBlaschke said:
    I don’t know what is inside Auria - i simply don’t have it.
    As the outcome of these granular synths are very different, in my opinion, it depends a little on what you want to achieve.

I would suggest you check out:

• SpaceCraft
    • Quanta

To get a feeling. The output is very different.

To get deeper and more “strange” in a possible good way there are the apeSoft’s (iPulsaret etc)

Maybe search for some YouTube videos on these 3 first to get a direction.

Thank you very much, I’ve heard of both of those, and will definitely be hitting up YouTube.

• I like iPularet and iDensity a lot. Can't really comment on the others as I tend to just return to those.

• Borderlands Granular is epic

• Yes, I confer, iPulsaret, iDensity and Borderlands Granular are high order!

• @cian said:
    I like iPularet and iDensity a lot. Can't really comment on the others as I tend to just return to those.

Thank you very much, I will check those out, I appreciate your recommendations.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Borderlands Granular is epic

Thank you very much!

• @gkillmaster said:
    Yes, I confer, iPulsaret, iDensity and Borderlands Granular are high order!

Thank you very much for that insight, I’m gonna look into all of those!

• For me,grain science remains one of the deepest granular synths on ios.

• I cannot recommend Borderlands enough

• iPularet is one of my favourite synths period and against the backdrop of some stiff iOS granular competition (some that are perhaps more innovative in terms of interface e.g. Spacecraft, Borderlands etc), it still stands out with so much potential and character of sound.

• Thank you all very much for taking the time to recommend these granular synths, they’re not very expensive I believe I was able to get them all, your recommendations have panned out to be pretty awesome, so I’ve learned to appreciate and trust your judgment, I appreciate it very much!

• Glad to be reminded of Grain Science. Not sure why I never think to open it and use it!

• All good suggestions here, my advice would be to start with SpaceCraft.

Immediate gratification, if you get the bug then branch out into others, they all have their own character. Borderlands in particular is well suited to the touch screen but needs effort to produce musical. I love it, check out Jakob Haq’s YouTube vids on it.

• Spacecraft #1 @deltaVaudio has created a masterpiece that is so authentic, intuitive, fun, attractive and finally amazing in sound.
    Don't miss it!

I love granular synthesis on iOS... Deff want to consider all of these too !
    Tardigrain
    Samplr
    quanta
    Aparillo, semi granular ? Hehe whatever it is it's a beast of a synth.
    Borderlands, new update coming eventually you can see it on Instagram

• @TheVimFuego said:
    All good suggestions here, my advice would be to start with SpaceCraft.

Immediate gratification, if you get the bug then branch out into others, they all have their own character. Borderlands in particular is well suited to the touch screen but needs effort to produce musical. I love it, check out Jakob Haq’s YouTube vids on it.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it, and will take you up on your recommendations.

• @reasOne said:
    Spacecraft #1 @deltaVaudio has created a masterpiece that is so authentic, intuitive, fun, attractive and finally amazing in sound.
    Don't miss it!

Tardigrain
    Samplr
    quanta

Thank you very much for the recommendations, I took your advice and have gotten each and every one, I may not have time to get back to making music solely on pc for weeks, so many choices for iOS!

• edited May 2019

@Ripper7620 said:

@reasOne said:
    Spacecraft #1 @deltaVaudio has created a masterpiece that is so authentic, intuitive, fun, attractive and finally amazing in sound.
    Don't miss it!

Tardigrain
    Samplr
    quanta

Thank you very much for the recommendations, I took your advice and have gotten each and every one, I may not have time to get back to making music solely on pc for weeks, so many choices for iOS!

I'm a big fan of granular synthesis too and I've tried all of the ones mentioned here.
    This is how I use some of them:

Borderlands granular:
    Still IMHO the most intuitive one for creating and layering evolving, "sonically playable" pads.
    It's open-source on other platforms btw!

Spacecraft:
    A powerhouse for making smooth pads out of your samples.

AudioDamage Quanta:
    This was the first one that made me switch away from Grain Science. It's more complex and has an insane modulation matrix but IMHO the learning time invested is worth it.
    And funnily, now I get along with it better than I ever did with Grain Science.
    It's harder to make it sound as smooth and pad-like as Borderlands or Spacecraft because its engine is better suited to more percussive, aggressive and "grainy" sounds.

iPulsaret:
    This is somehow the weirdest, most scientific and most experimental instrument of the bunch. It needs some time to learn using it as well but it can produce sounds that the others don't. It's not only a granular synth but it adds other synthesis options on top.

If I had to pick four favorites, here you have 'em.
    If I had to pick one, I guess it would be Quanta.

• @reasOne said:
    Don't miss it!

Tardigrain
    Samplr
    quanta

Yup, Borderlands update is almost here!

So close, I can taste it!

• @rs2000 said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@reasOne said:
    Don't miss it!

Tardigrain
    Samplr
    quanta

I'm a big fan of granular synthesis too and I've tried all of the ones mentioned here.
    This is how I use some of them:

Borderlands granular:
    Still IMHO the most intuitive one for creating and layering evolving, "sonically playable" pads.
    It's open-source on other platforms btw!

Spacecraft:
    A powerhouse for making smooth pads out of your samples.

AudioDamage Quanta:
    This was the first one that made me switch away from Grain Science. It's more complex and has an insane modulation matrix but IMHO the learning time invested is worth it.
    And funnily, now I get along with it better than I ever did with Grain Science.
    It's harder to make it sound as smooth and pad-like as Borderlands or Spacecraft because its engine is better suited to more percussive, aggressive and "grainy" sounds.

iPulsaret:
    This is somehow the weirdest, most scientific and most experimental instrument of the bunch. It needs some time to learn using it as well but it can produce sounds that the others don't. It's not only a granular synth but it adds other synthesis options on top.

If I had to pick four favorites, here you have 'em.
    If I had to pick one, I guess it would be Quanta.

I haven’t had a chance to try many of them yet, but I just got the Quanta going in Auria Pro, and to put it mildly, I’m head over heels in love. I need to get to bed, but I’m having too much fun to turn in.

• @Zjenji said:

@reasOne said:
    Don't miss it!

Tardigrain
    Samplr
    quanta

Yup, Borderlands update is almost here!

So close, I can taste it!

You’ve got a beautiful looking bass! I play guitar sometimes, but I’m truly horrible at it. I’m going at the Quanta atm, I love it too much to put it up and try the others yet. I come from running Reaper through a pc, using mostly Native Instruments Komplete 11 Ultimate products, so I have a pretty decent idea of how good apps can sound, yet I’m very impressed by how far iOS has come since the last time I was all in back in 2014. I have a feeling even after I replace my pc cooler, that it’s gonna be hard to put down iOS in favor of the pc. Two different worlds, and I feel very fortunate to be able to enjoy both. When my cooler first went out, I was dreading having to go back to iOS, but I’m very impressed by the sounds iOS is putting out, does not sound, or feel anything like second rate in the least, absolutely shocked at how great the sounds are.

• @Ripper7620 said:
    ... I’m going at the Quanta atm, I love it too much to put it up and try the others yet.

I think that's the best way to achieve great results. Spend some quality time with your stuff instead of wasting time choosing more tools ;)

I come from running Reaper through a pc, using mostly Native Instruments Komplete 11 Ultimate products, so I have a pretty decent idea of how good apps can sound, yet I’m very impressed by how far iOS has come since the last time I was all in back in 2014. I have a feeling even after I replace my pc cooler, that it’s gonna be hard to put down iOS in favor of the pc. Two different worlds, and I feel very fortunate to be able to enjoy both.

Indeed, two different worlds.
    It's certainly very helpful to find out for yourself where to draw the line - in other words, what to better do on iOS and what to do on the PC.

• Borderlands is a masterpiece.

• @rs2000 said:

@Ripper7620 said:
    ... I’m going at the Quanta atm, I love it too much to put it up and try the others yet.

I think that's the best way to achieve great results. Spend some quality time with your stuff instead of wasting time choosing more tools ;)

I come from running Reaper through a pc, using mostly Native Instruments Komplete 11 Ultimate products, so I have a pretty decent idea of how good apps can sound, yet I’m very impressed by how far iOS has come since the last time I was all in back in 2014. I have a feeling even after I replace my pc cooler, that it’s gonna be hard to put down iOS in favor of the pc. Two different worlds, and I feel very fortunate to be able to enjoy both.

Indeed, two different worlds.
    It's certainly very helpful to find out for yourself where to draw the line - in other words, what to better do on iOS and what to do on the PC.

Thank you very much, I’m going to take your good advice. I’m having an extraordinary time exploring these grainular synths, atm, they are my favorite tones from iOS. Also I agree with using pc for what it’s good at, and, and then also exploiting the strengths of iOS to their fullest potential, and finally, learning how to effectively bring the two together in harmony.

• You have such good manners, OP. Don't have anything else to add, the bases have been covered, but thought that was worth commending.

• @oat_phipps said:
    You have such good manners, OP. Don't have anything else to add, the bases have been covered, but thought that was worth commending.

Thank you very much, I really do appreciate your kind words, I’m 49 today, however even though I was never an axe murderer, or the like. I was a very bad apple in my youth, and the bad things I have done in the past have followed and haunted me. I can’ change the past, and have come to realize that most people have to work very hard for everything they have, and most of us, at one point or another, face extreme adversity. Life is not easy for most, and the last thing I want to be is another problem someone has to deal with, so I do my best to treat others the way I would like to be treated.

• @Ripper7620 said:

@reasOne said:
    Don't miss it!

Tardigrain
    Samplr
    quanta

Great call, get em all!!! Quanta is fun, like mentioned it can be rough but it's very smoothable too hehe
    Let me know when you try spacecraft, it can do cool things not obvious at first!
    Are you on Instagram?

• @reasOne said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@reasOne said:
    Don't miss it!

Tardigrain
    Samplr
    quanta

Great call, get em all!!! Quanta is fun, like mentioned it can be rough but it's very smoothable too hehe
    Let me know when you try spacecraft, it can do cool things not obvious at first!
    Are you on Instagram?

I have Instagram, but I rarely post anything there, but I’m very active on SoundCloud under the name Ripper7620, most of my stuff is very heavy, distorted bass, with very heavy bass drums and percussion curtesy of the Native Instruments Maschine MK3, which is what use for all percussion, it’s just an awesome piece of gear to work with, and so versatile. I may not be an accomplished musician, however nobody can say my work is not heavy, lol.