Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bluetooth MIDI from iPhone to iPad via AUM

...vice versa, iPad to iPad, iPhone to iPhone etc etc.

Might be a game changer for me. AUM is my go to host currently and has been for a year or so but that is not without regret. For example, one thing I miss out on from Audiobus is the remote.

But setting up AUM as a bluetooth peripheral on one device to control AUM is beautiful. Its not the same as Audiobus Remote as I’m sending MIDI info rather than remote control of apps. But this is perhaps enough to fill that yearning.

So now I can play KB-1 on my iPhone wirelessly. Set up some Rozeta apps and sequence devices on the iPad. Things like XY and Scaler are very nice in this context. Autony could be awesome used this way too (once iPhone scaling is fixed), using Gestrument Pro’s pressure capability on a dedicated device...

Etc....

The possibility is wide open and so far it runs smoothly without noticeable latency.

OP EDIT:

How to example :

To control Bram Bos’ app Troublemaker on iPad with another phone with AUM.

In setting up your send device (for this e.g. an iPhone) go into the Settings tab, scroll to the bottom to Bluetooth MIDI and touch Peripheral. Turn on to advertise your device.

Now on your host device (e.g. iPad) go into the AUM Settings and under Bluetooth MIDI choose Central and select your send device (in this e.g. the iPhone.)

Now, in the MIDI set up for your MIDI send device (e.g. iPhone with Rozeta Bassline loaded in AUM) go to MIDI Route and link the Bassline to the Bluetooth iPad in the Matrix.

On the iPad make sure that in MIDI Route you connect the Troublemaker from iPhone.
It should work.

Check all your MIDI channel stuff if its still not working.

Comments

• Thanks for pointing this out @Calverhall. I did not know Aum did this. Magical.

• Yup, Bluetooth from iDevice to iDevice is magical. The ultimate midi controller and recording/performance tool.

• I tried that once, and the latency for me was very noticeable. The devices weren’t even that far from each other. I was just playing the AUM keyboard on my phone and sending to the iPad. Maybe it was because it’s an iPhone 6 but that should have the same speed Bluetooth.

• It was definitely abit crap when I tried a long while back with an iPhone 6, but that could have been software rather than hardware at that point.

• I can’t wait to try this out. Nice one.

• Let us know how it pans out.

• @Calverhall said:
    Let us know how it pans out.

I can’t get it working at the moment. I’ve got my iPhone 7 connected via Bluetooth to my 2018 iPad Pro, and I’m trying to use kB-1 (on my phone) to connect to Poison (ipad). No joy yet, though, even though AUM is telling me that both devices are connected. I’m clearly doing something wrong so will have a look at the midi routing.

• To make sure we are on the same page I’ll explain how I got it to work.

In setting up your send device (e.g. iPhone) go into the Settings tab, scroll to the bottom to Bluetooth MIDI and touch Peripheral. Turn on to advertise your device.

Now on your host device (e.g. iPad) go into the AUM Settings and under Bluetooth MIDI choose Central and select your send device (in this e.g. the iPhone.)

Now, in the MIDI set up for your MIDI send device (e.g. iPhone with Rozeta Bassline loaded in AUM) go to MIDI Route and link top Bassline to the Bluetooth iPad in the Matrix.

On the iPad make sure that in MIDI route you connect the Troublemaker from iPhone. It should work.

• Excellent tip, definitely gonna do this later! Thanks Calverhall 😀

• Works great for me,
    Thanks for the tip, now using my old iPhone 6 which was gathering dust, can't notice any lag
    Quick to set up, has now added another level to my set up

• Is there a reason why (other than wanting to record in something like BM3 or Auria) you wouldn’t use the iPad as the controller for more screen space for tweaking synths etc and the iPhone as the receiver?

• @mjcouche said:
    Is there a reason why (other than wanting to record in something like BM3 or Auria) you wouldn’t use the iPad as the controller for more screen space for tweaking synths etc and the iPhone as the receiver?

Why not? Depends if your phone can hack multi track recording maybe?

Whatever you prefer.

• @Calverhall said:
    To make sure we are on the same page I’ll explain how I got it to work.

In setting up your send device (e.g. iPhone) go into the Settings tab, scroll to the bottom to Bluetooth MIDI and touch Peripheral. Turn on to advertise your device.

Now, in the MIDI set up for your MIDI send device (e.g. iPhone with Rozeta Bassline loaded in AUM) go to MIDI Route and link top Bassline to the Bluetooth iPad in the Matrix.

On the iPad make sure that in MIDI route you connect the Troublemaker from iPhone. It should work.

Superstar! This works like a charm, so many thanks for your clear outline. Yippee!