Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Announcing Audiobus 3.4

Hello!

I'm very happy to announce Audiobus 3.4, out today! This is a big release that focuses on improving workflow and making it easier to integrate other gear.

There are a bunch of improvements and new features for MIDI Learn, including a new MIDI Learn Receiver which sits in the output of any MIDI pipeline. It's great for controlling parameters from the output of audio units and apps, like LFOs and envelope-following utilities like FAC Envolver:

Creating a ducker with MIDI Learn Receiver

There's also range adjustments for MIDI Learn parameter actions, and more options for toggle actions, which work well for toggling between effects or synths with one button press.

There's a new "Add" button for appending presets to your current session, so you can use presets like reusable components. It's particularly great with audio units.

And Audiobus now supports MIDI clock sync, as either master or slave, for syncing up your external gear. It also seamlessly bridges between MIDI sync and Ableton Link.

Lots, lots more in this release, including audio unit user presets, Virtual MIDI input and a brand new selector – you can see the full list over at Audiobus' brand new user manual.

I hope you enjoy AB 3.4! If you've got any issues, suggestions or other feedback, feel free to open a new thread here, hit "Get Support" in the app, or just email me.

Stay tuned – there's more good stuff to come in 3.5.

Best,
Michael

Comments

• edited May 2019

Hellz Yeah!!!!
    Dude, this is an amazing update!
    Thank you, MasterMichael.
    :)

• Sweet !!!!!

• Congrats! Took some serious debugging to get it right but it sure is worth it.

• Thanks Michael!

Please consider QWERTY>MIDI support in a future update.
    Would also be great to see Flux:FX working in AB again but the problem is probably with Flux?

• Thanks guys =)

Yeah, Flux is problematic right now, @BroCoast

• Wowee what a fantastic upgrade full of cool new stuff! Favorites is my favorite!

• Congratulations! Looking forward to diving in.

• Thank you soooooo much for all your hard work!

• Thank you! It's a great update :)

Can you give a hint if sends are coming in 3.5? I would also like to ask for some sort of "solo" setting when sharing the same MIDI input, to make it easy to switch the synth being controlled by a master keyboard.

• Aww yeah! Congrats on the launch :)

• @jipumarino said:
    Can you give a hint if sends are coming in 3.5?

I am planning such things, yeah. Can you tell me how you'd use it'd?

I would also like to ask for some sort of "solo" setting when sharing the same MIDI input, to make it easy to switch the synth being controlled by a master keyboard.

Good idea. Not sure how I'd be able to do it elegantly but I'll think about it. Till then, MIDI Learn has you covered.

• @Michael said:

@jipumarino said:

Mainly sharing a reverb or delay instance to which multiple lanes are sending different levels. I imagine an Audiobus-native node in an effects slot that sends to a numbered channel (you already have the wet knob in the mixer) and a new input node with the same. I tried doing it with apeMatrix Mixer Send Receive AU with no luck.

I would also like to ask for some sort of "solo" setting when sharing the same MIDI input, to make it easy to switch the synth being controlled by a master keyboard.

Good idea. Not sure how I'd be able to do it elegantly but I'll think about it. Till then, MIDI Learn has you covered.

Yep! Thanks again :)
    Another, maybe simpler option would be some kind of “MIDI follows focus” MIDI source that only sends to the currently open plugin.

• Congrats, and thanks!

• The MIDI sync is fantastic. You can use it to receive clock from one piece of hardware, and send it to another. That’s before you add any apps to the mix.

I also like that you can now set the mic input level inside AB. Some audio interfaces require this.

• @jipumarino said:

@Michael said:

@jipumarino said:

Mainly sharing a reverb or delay instance to which multiple lanes are sending different levels. I imagine an Audiobus-native node in an effects slot that sends to a numbered channel (you already have the wet knob in the mixer) and a new input node with the same. I tried doing it with apeMatrix Mixer Send Receive AU with no luck.

Right, yep. Yeah this use case is something I plan to address.

Yep! Thanks again :)
    Another, maybe simpler option would be some kind of “MIDI follows focus” MIDI source that only sends to the currently open plugin.

Oh I like that!

• Fantastic work, thanks!!!

Will need to dig into these features but looking like the dream! Loving the little details too: "when you mute MIDI sources, currently-held nodes will continue to play out until they're released"

• edited May 2019

@Michael said:

And Audiobus now supports MIDI clock sync, as either master or slave, for syncing up your external gear. It also seamlessly bridges between MIDI sync and Ableton Link.

Wow that is something I've been wishing for for years! Thanks for thinking of us in the old neighborhood.

Did you use the fantastic sync machine? Loopy has been a gold standard for midi slave on ios.

• @Processaurus said:

@Michael said:

Wow that is something I've been wishing for for years! Thanks for thinking of us in the old neighborhood.

Did you use the fantastic sync machine? Loopy has been a gold standard for midi slave on ios.

Hehe, I did indeed, but with a ton of improvements - I basically rewrote it along the way, as there were a few tricky cases it didn't handle well.

• Difficult to keep up with all these new toys. Congrats on another great release @Michael !

• @Michael Congrats on the 3.4 update! :)

There's one feature I'd love to see AB get (before AUM and other hosts eventually add it) and it is to be able disable auto-gain and select which of the built-in mics on an iOS device to use?

For example when plugging in the Lightning Headset the mic on it 'overrides' the built-in microphones.
    From what I know it is still possible to use the mics on the iPhone to do the recording if the app supports it.(GarageBand seems to 'auto select' the mic that gets the loudest input?!).

I've lately been using TwistedWave to do most 'field recordings' and it's super handy to use the Lightning Headset to monitor the sound and use the Mic on the Back of the iPhone to do the recording, this way I avoid having my 'breathing' being captured :)

If it's not too much hassle to add it would be a treat...

• That's amazing @Samu, I had no idea you could use the built in mic still with headset! Consider it added.

• edited May 2019

@Michael said:
    That's amazing @Samu, I had no idea you could use the built in mic still with headset! Consider it added.

Thanks!

Here's the Apple Doc.
    https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1799/_index.html

And here's a screenshot of TwistedWave when Lightning Headset is attached on my iPhone 8.

This can be done and if it's 'easy' many apps could benefit from this.

• tjatja
    edited May 2019

@Jocphone said:
    Difficult to keep up with all these new toys. Congrats on another great release @Michael !

Yep :)

@wim said:
    It’s gonna take awhile for people to digest all the great stuff here! Soo much goodness. B)

Have some fun: Load up Auria Pro with an complex tempo track. Put some sudden and gradual tempo changes, etc. Then watch your hardware, IAA apps that don’t support Link, apps that do, AUM, ApeMatrix, etc. all obediently follow it. It’s a beautiful thing.

Super cool to be able to bring any AU + many IAA apps (those that are AB compatible) to the foreground just by sending a note from a controller with midi learn.

I’ve been having a blast beta testing. I’m happy to see it in the wild. :smile:

I was in the beta, but did not test this feature to control Apps with MIDI learn (only temporarily had a MPK249).

Now I have a Nektar SE25 and will eagerly try this out :)

I think, this release will reduce my use of AUM, hosting things in AB.

• @Samu said:
    This can be done and if it's 'easy' many apps could benefit from this.

+1

• Great update @Michael many thanks.

In regards the midi receiver which I didn’t know about to be honest. I’m a bit confused how it’s used I got my Korg NanoKey Studio sending into it how does it relate to say Sunrizer in the same Audio chain? Once I have the midi learn receiver in the middle of the chain. How Do I use it ? What’s the difference between the midi receiver and the midi learn button next to settings ? Would love to see a video of all the midi learn functionality now AB3 has it. I get some of how it works but not all.

• edited May 2019

@Michael I don’t know if it’s a bug or how AB works ,but when I generate midi CC with Rozeta LFO , I can’t use the midi learn feature . It’s like CC messages are ignored . Maybe in midi learn AB listens to external controller only ?

• @Korakios said:
    @Michael I don’t know if it’s a bug or how AB works ,but when I generate midi CC with Rozeta LFO , I can’t use the midi learn feature . It’s like CC messages are ignored . Maybe in midi learn AB listens to external controller only ?

You need to add the midi learn “receiver” in the lane to do this. It’s in the system tools of midi receivers. :)

• @Carnbot said:

@Korakios said:

You need to add the midi learn “receiver” in the lane to do this. It’s in the system tools of midi receivers. :)

That worked, thanks :)

• @Processaurus said:

@Michael said:

Dragging iOS kicking and screaming back to the 80's :) Awesome stuff, thanks @Michael..lots of fiddling now removed from the workflow for us MIDI hardware users !