Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best way to import Midi file into Gadget without it being chopped in too way many sections?

Comments

• @hisdudeness said:
    Any workflow tips?

There isn't a way that I know of to avoid its auto-chopping algorithm. Imo, best option in a case like this is to use another sequencer (such as Xequence) and send MIDI from it to Gadget.

• Gadget is not a linear sequencer, the idea of importing MIDI files is to use properly cut 1/2/.../16 bar long
    files to be used as (loopable) patterns.

• edited April 2019

@rs2000 said:
    Gadget is not a linear sequencer, the idea of importing MIDI files is to use properly cut 1/2/.../16 bar long
    files to be used as (loopable) patterns.

I’m happy to see an answer to this question that I was struggling with in silence. That is uncharacteristically useless.

• I’m happy to see an answer to this question that I was struggling with in silence. That is uncharacteristically useless.

• I guess midi and gadget are not good friends

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@hisdudeness said:
    I guess midi and gadget are not good friends

Gadget actually has excellent midi capability. Just not good midi file import capability.

• Users have worked with Gadget for years without this capability, so it's not a necessity, and I think not worth wasting time on. It can output MIDI files fine because the result of a bunch of short scenes in sequence is a linear performance. Reading a linear file back in isn't so straightforward because there's no info in a MIDI file telling how to divide it up and fit it into Gadget Scenes. It's a universal standard, not controlled by Korg. They could provide some more options with MIDI file import, but that's apparently not a priority. Maybe in the future?

• @hisdudeness said:
    I guess midi and gadget are not good friends

Gadget MIDI is pretty good. The sequencer is limited but you can use another sequencer and send MIDI from it to Gadget. I tend to use the Gadget sequencer for rough sketching then export the MIDI into a more capable sequencer and send MIDI from it to Gadget for the Gadget sounds I want to keep.

• A while back I exported midi files out of Gadget and it worked great with a little adjustment.

I mocked up a version of the third movement of Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint (originally done by Pat Metheny) in Gadget which was the perfect vehicle for this minimalist composition and exported the midi files to use in Auria and Logic. All of the midi files were there but I did have to slide them around on the DAW time line to get everything to line up correctly probably because each scene in Gadget is considered a clip and not on a timeline. If anyone is interested I could post the Gadget project. I used M1 for all of the instruments (guitar and bass sounds).

• I use Gadget almost exclusively with external midi. Gadget’s internal sequencing is good, but it tends to push me too much into that 4/8/16 bar rut that I have enough trouble breaking out of. Also, once you get up to 3-5 minutes long in a song, and especially if you have intro, verse, chorus, bridge, etc. it gets messy fast.

I primarily use Xequence and/or a variety of midi AU apps to do almost all my sequencing for Gadget. I load everything in Audiobus so app switching is seamless and it’s a piece of cake to record the midi into Gadget if I do want to work in there.

Other than the lame midi file import, I find Gadget’s midi implementation to be one of the best on iOS never had a single glitch.

• How does your setup for Gadget look like, @wim?

Xequence as MIDI sender in AudioBus?
    Gadget does not load as MIDI receiver... so only as as Audio sender?
    This may mean that you cannot load Xequence in AB, or?

• @tja said:
    How does your setup for Gadget look like, @wim?

You can send straight from Xequence to Gadget

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@tja said:

There’s more than one way to skin this cat...

1. Load Gadget as an input on the Audio page
    2. Load Xequence Midi Out 1 as in input on the Midi Page
    3. Add Gadget Virtual Midi > Ch. 1 as the output on the Midi Page
    4. In Gadget set the track to receive on Gadget > Ch. 1
    5. In Xequence, set up a track to send to Audiobus Ch. 1
    6. Repeat from step #2 for additional channels

Or...

2. Load Xequence Midi Out 1 as in input on the Midi Page
    3. Add Virtual Midi Bridge > Ch. 1 as the output on the Midi Page
    4. In Gadget set the track to receive on as Audiobus Ch.1
    5. In Xequence, set up a track to send to Audiobus Ch.1
    6. Repeat from step #2 for additional channels.

Or...

2. Load Xequence Midi out 1 (the number isn’t important. It won’t be used.) on the Midi page.
    3. In Xequence set up a track to send to Gadget Ch.1
    4. In Gadget set up a track to receive on Gadget Ch.1

Or...
    Don’t use Audiobus at all. Just go from Xequence straight to Gadget.

I would include an Audiobus preset, but Gadget doesn’t do state saving, so the midi settings woudn’t get saved. Hopefully the instructions above are enough. If not let me know.

(Note, if you see a choice between Audiobus and Audiobus 3 in Xequence, the difference is Audiobus is the internal Audiobus routing. Audiobus 3 is the external Audiobus virtual input added in the current beta for non Audiobus compatible apps to be able to send to.)

• I use the first method. Why? Because that makes it the easiest to swap out other apps for Gadget without changing a thing in either Xequence or Gadget. Just remove the Gadget Virtual Midi Output from Step #3, and add a different app. Or even better, leave Gadget Virtual Midi there, add an additional app into the same output slot, and mute Gadget on the mixer page. Swap back and forth if you like live. B)

• @espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

I was referring to wim's solution with AudioBus... see his posting before mine.

• tjatja
    edited May 2019

@wim said:
    I use the first method. Why? Because that makes it the easiest to swap out other apps for Gadget without changing a thing in either Xequence or Gadget. Just remove the Gadget Virtual Midi Output from Step #3, and add a different app. Or even better, leave Gadget Virtual Midi there, add an additional app into the same output slot, and mute Gadget on the mixer page. Swap back and forth if you like live. B)

Many, many thanks for this writeup!

And yes, I also seem to like the first method most! :)

I'm going to compare and test!

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

Yes, but @espiegel123 is completely correct B) . Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best (See: Occam’s Razor and KISS Principle ;) )

• tjatja
    edited May 2019

@wim said:

@tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

Yes, but @espiegel123 is completely correct B) . Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best (See: Occam’s Razor and KISS Principle ;) )

Yes, maybe.

But I think I have found my modular DAW, including a working setup for Gadget.

Audiobus preset 'KB1XeyAUMLoopy':

http://preset.audiob.us/ODsSWNkcdLVirPQ

Any MIDI Instrument to Xequence within AudioBus, MIDI sent to AUM, where all Synths - here also Gadget, beside the Brambos Four - are hosted, and the mixed or not mixed results to Loopy HD within AudioBus again.

I did not add Auria Pro as target for Loopy already, as it would be needed only later. Alternatively, just record to AUM / AudioShare first.

This setup seems to be perfekt for me.

Yes, not such simple, but yet:

o You can just exchange KB-1 to any other instrument, or directly use Xequence.
    o And within AUM, you can exchange any Synth.

The results can be saved in Loopy HD and later send to Auria Pro.

That's like ONE App, one DAW!

• @wim said:
    I use Gadget almost exclusively with external midi. Gadget’s internal sequencing is good, but it tends to push me too much into that 4/8/16 bar rut that I have enough trouble breaking out of. Also, once you get up to 3-5 minutes long in a song, and especially if you have intro, verse, chorus, bridge, etc. it gets messy fast.

I primarily use Xequence and/or a variety of midi AU apps to do almost all my sequencing for Gadget. I load everything in Audiobus so app switching is seamless and it’s a piece of cake to record the midi into Gadget if I do want to work in there.

Other than the lame midi file import, I find Gadget’s midi implementation to be one of the best on iOS never had a single glitch.

The fact that looping in Gadget's sequencer is limited to multiples of bars has made me shy away from using it. Stupidly I never thought about recording MIDI in from a device that doesn't have this constraint. Thanks @wim and others for this thread

• @ecamburn said:
    The fact that looping in Gadget's sequencer is limited to multiples of bars has made me shy away from using it.

I’m not sure if you ran across it yet, but Gadget does now allow any number of bars (up to 16) in a pattern. You can add single bars with the little bitty + sign at the top-right of the piano roll.

• @wim said:

@ecamburn said:
    The fact that looping in Gadget's sequencer is limited to multiples of bars has made me shy away from using it.

I’m not sure if you ran across it yet, but Gadget does now allow any number of bars (up to 16) in a pattern. You can add single bars with the little bitty + sign at the top-right of the piano roll.

Hot damn!
    Didn’t realize this.
    Awesome.
    Thanks for yet another great nugget o’ knowledge.
    B)

• @wim said:

@ecamburn said:

Yep I knew that. I'm admittedly an odd duck. I love polyrhythms and I love to create them by varying the length of loops that play at the same time. Gadget forces you into a loop=a multiple of a bar. You can do some interesting things by changing the time signature of a scene, but it's not quite the same thing as varying loop length (or varying the number of steps in a step sequencer).

• @ecamburn said:

@wim said:

@ecamburn said:

Yep I knew that. I'm admittedly an odd duck. I love polyrhythms and I love to create them by varying the length of loops that play at the same time. Gadget forces you into a loop=a multiple of a bar. You can do some interesting things by changing the time signature of a scene, but it's not quite the same thing as varying loop length (or varying the number of steps in a step sequencer).

Xequence might be a little problematic for this. I think the timeline pattern length adjustment is limited to bar increments.

• edited May 2019

@wim said:

@ecamburn said:

@wim said:

@ecamburn said:

Xequence might be a little problematic for this. I think the timeline pattern length adjustment is limited to bar increments.

I don't own Xequence but do own a bunch of apps that do allow for this kind of variable pattern length - StepBud, Atom are probably the most relevant for this thread as they can be used to get MIDI into Gadget.

• @CracklePot said:

@wim said:

@ecamburn said:

Hot damn!
    Didn’t realize this.
    Awesome.
    Thanks for yet another great nugget o’ knowledge.
    B)

Long press on it brings up come kinda copy thingy that I don’t get how it works. Probably super useful though! B)

• @wim said:

@ecamburn said:

@wim said:

@ecamburn said:

Not that you asked, but I'm happy to report that that limitation will soon be gone ;)

• Nice! I just love Xequence!

• @wim said:
    Nice! I just love Xequence!

Thanks! Together with the new handle to also crop/extend the START of parts, while still keeping clones synchronized, this allows for some really nice polyrhythm (NO dear keyboard, NOT polyethylene!) manipulation directly on the timeline :)

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@wim said:

Thanks! Together with the new handle to also crop/extend the START of parts, while still keeping clones synchronized, this allows for some really nice polyrhythm (NO dear keyboard, NOT polyethylene!) manipulation directly on the timeline :)

Polyethylene. There’s your next IAP name sorted!

• @wim said:

@SevenSystems said:

@wim said:

Polyethylene. There’s your next IAP name sorted!

🤟