Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Button in AUM channel window - can‘t figure out

Hi all.

Anyone ever figured out what this button is in @j_liljedahl AUM?

I tried a lot and searched the manual - could not identify it.
What does this one do, other than turning from orange to yellow? :smile:

Comments

• In some AU's like Roli Noise and Model 15 it switches to the build in keyboard

• @White said:
    In some AU's like Roli Noise and Model 15 it switches to the build in keyboard

So you play the AUM keyboard but it triggers the apps ?

• @reasOne said:

@White said:

No, it switches to the build in keyboard in the AU

Example in Roli Noise, it has midi out so you can play the keyboard and send the midi to another au 😊

• Ah, thank you!
    Must have happily pressed that button always on non supported AU‘s then :smile:

• Thank you for asking as I've never understood this either. But now I do!

• Another ‘thanks for asking’, here. I’ve been puzzled for a while!

• @lukesleepwalker @audio_DT
    Thanks for you „coming out“ :smile:

I always thought i was the only one.

• @White said:

@reasOne said:

@White said:

No, it switches to the build in keyboard in the AU

Example in Roli Noise, it has midi out so you can play the keyboard and send the midi to another au 😊

Rad! Thanks for this post

• I often get this question. Is nobody reading the help bubble that shows the first time you tap the button? :)

• edited May 2019

@j_liljedahl said:

I often get this question. Is nobody reading the help bubble that shows the first time you tap the button? :)

I have exactly the same "system" in Xequence (every non-trivial UI element has a one-off tooltip that pops up), and I can safely say the answer is "no" 😂 😉

I still think it's the best form of "manual".

What you should maybe consider is adding some more obvious hint that the inserts / MIDI channel area is vertically scrollable to reveal the "+" buttons (maybe I've overlooked it). It even took me quite some time to figure that out. Also I don't know why the "+" button is hidden in the first place if there's still only one plugin loaded. Why isn't it simply always there below the bottom most plugin?

• @j_liljedahl said:

I often get this question. Is nobody reading the help bubble that shows the first time you tap the button? :)

You might want to consider adding a tooltip button which enables or disables showing this help text.

• edited May 2019

@SevenSystems
    Double tap works great for both audio fx and midi gens. I don’t think there is a need for permanent placeholder. On some devices with keyboard visible there’s not much space anyway.

• @recccp said:
    @SevenSystems
    Double tap works great for both audio fx and midi gens. I don’t think there is a need for permanent placeholder. On some devices with keyboard visible there’s not much space anyway.

First time I hear about double-tap. :)

But I must apologize @j_liljedahl, there actually is a "Scroll down for more slots" tooltip.

• @j_liljedahl said:

Honestly - i could not remember that bubble - i am from the “pre keyboard button”-area.
    I read the manual though and couldn’t find it :wink:

• Its just a counter intuitive design, internal keyboard button looks like a keyboard, AU keyboard looks like a bunch of lines.
    Use the exact same keyboard icon and put an AU in it, then it is obvious.

• @Turntablist said:
    Its just a counter intuitive design, internal keyboard button looks like a keyboard, AU keyboard looks like a bunch of lines.
    Use the exact same keyboard icon and put an AU in it, then it is obvious.

Not all AU's internal controllers are "keyboards"...

• And ?
    Non of them are a bunch of vertical lines, what's your point ?

• edited September 2019

@Turntablist said:
    And ?
    Non of them are a bunch of vertical lines, what's your point ?

?? Getting a little over our skis, here, mate!
    He's the guy who designed the app!

cf. Woody Allen/Marshall McLuhan/"Annie Hall"

• No idea what that means ?
    He said not all controllers are keyboards, I pointed out non are lines, what is the problem exactly ?

A bunch of vertical lines to denote a controller on an AU is unintuitive, that is why this question is asked a lot.
    I didn't call him names or attack his developing skills or indeed kick his dog or steal his skis or whatever it is you are trying to now say.

• The point is no one reads the instructions.
    :p

• @Turntablist said:
    No idea what that means ?
    He said not all controllers are keyboards, I pointed out non are lines, what is the problem exactly ?

A bunch of vertical lines to denote a controller on an AU is unintuitive, that is why this question is asked a lot.
    I didn't call him names or attack his developing skills or indeed kick his dog or steal his skis or whatever it is you are trying to now say.

I took your comment as mock outrage; I thought you were joking, so I was returning the joke. I didn't meant to offend you. Sorry.

But really, he's a person, who is in this very thread. And he designed it, and obviously thought it was an elegant solution. I can't imagine you'd say, "What's your point?" if you were in the same room.

• Why wouldn't I say that if I was in the same room, he said something that I thought was pointless, so I asked the point, why? do you act differently online than you do in person, that is actually a confidence issue that you can seek help for, you can Google it for links ;)

• So I glad I read this post. Couldn’t stand that button “that does nothing”. Nice yellow, though.

• @Turntablist on ignorelist. move on