Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Volca Modular and Volca Drum

Anyone try these yet? I'm curious to live my lust for them through anyone who actually has one.

Comments

• Just got the modular this morning.

I have a whole modular set up in the "East Coast" style. So this is pretty different

I can't say I have the hang of it yet, but the sounds coming out of this little thing blow away a $199 price tag..

to get all this in my regular modular would take many modules

It sounds nothing like anything I can get out of my bigger system and just for that it's worth it to me.

The tones are so much fun and out of the box all I'm really doing is fooling with it and I can get screaming other worldly groans out of it, percolating bubbly bass....can't say I've found any sweet type tones yet but at some point I'll read the directions!!

Just getting around to the sequencer now. I rarely post, this little guy is so cool it got me to post

My first impression this is excellent value for money if you are looking for an out of this world reasonably priced sound source

• @Kaitgamer thanks for chiming in! Sounds like a blast. haha Skip the directions and dive in.

Other worldly tones ... nice. Can’t wait to hear more. Have fun!

• edited April 2019

I'm oogling at the Volca Drum as they are now starting to pop up in local music-stores here.
    But I can't help to think that there must already be an app out there that should come close, like SeekBeats, ElasticDrums etc.

I do love my Volca Bass and the though of building a 'Volca Rig' has struck my mind more than once...

• This week past I bought a volca sample and a volca bass.
    This little modular beauty is very interesting

• I'm really enjoying the Volca Drum, sonically very much in Electribe ER-1 territory. Great fun switching patterns on the fly and Step Jump now keeps to the beat so you can't really go wrong! Calling it a drum machine is selling it a bit short really, more of a "madcap 6 track percussion synthesizer". Waveguide is very versatile and adds a great flavour to the end result. I've owned all of the Volcas in the past but i've now boiled it down to the Digital 3... Sample, FM and Drum. What a trio...

Like anything else, something like Elastic Drums will do pretty much all of what the Volca Drum can do and then some, at a fraction of the cost and with instant integration with IOS. But like any other piece of hardware that you bond with, the Volca Drum is just so much more... fun? Fun leads to inspiration, inspiration leads to results.

• @apapdop said:
    But like any other piece of hardware that you bond with, the Volca Drum is just so much more... fun? Fun leads to inspiration, inspiration leads to results.

That's what I suspect as well...
    I really love to mess around with the Volca Bass and time just flies by and even though it's a relatively simple synth I've not bumped into a single iOS app that comes close the the fat and attitude it has, the filter is an 'animal'!

My 'trio' for the time being would be Volca Bass, Volca FM and Volca Drums hooked to the Volca Mix to save some batteries.

The Volca Sample is fun but it's quite tedious to get custom samples into it, merge the easy to use sampling features from the classic ES-1(Which I have) and call it a Volca Sampler and I'd be in like before it's even out :D

• @apapdop said:
    I'm really enjoying the Volca Drum, sonically very much in Electribe ER-1 territory. Great fun switching patterns on the fly and Step Jump now keeps to the beat so you can't really go wrong! Calling it a drum machine is selling it a bit short really, more of a "madcap 6 track percussion synthesizer". Waveguide is very versatile and adds a great flavour to the end result. I've owned all of the Volcas in the past but i've now boiled it down to the Digital 3... Sample, FM and Drum. What a trio...

Like anything else, something like Elastic Drums will do pretty much all of what the Volca Drum can do and then some, at a fraction of the cost and with instant integration with IOS. But like any other piece of hardware that you bond with, the Volca Drum is just so much more... fun? Fun leads to inspiration, inspiration leads to results.

Hey Anthony 👋🏼
    I was very interested in this when it first came out, but haven’t seen many videos of it since the initial reveal. I believe it took a bit longer to get released than the Modular.
    It does look a great deal of fun and I’d imagine it would suit my music and jams a treat.
    The biggest thing for me on those initial videos was the Step jump staying in time, as you mentioned. I wonder if a firmware upgrade could get the Sampler to behave in the same way?
    That would be cool!

• @LeeB said:

Hey Anthony 👋🏼
    I was very interested in this when it first came out, but haven’t seen many videos of it since the initial reveal. I believe it took a bit longer to get released than the Modular.
    It does look a great deal of fun and I’d imagine it would suit my music and jams a treat.
    The biggest thing for me on those initial videos was the Step jump staying in time, as you mentioned. I wonder if a firmware upgrade could get the Sampler to behave in the same way?
    That would be cool!

Hiya Lee

Yes, the Modular got more of the glory, as you said it was released that bit earlier and what a fantastic idea for a Volca eh? But good to see that Korg want to keep the Volca line alive.

Hell yes, Volca Sample with Step Jump staying in time, that would be fantastic...

Here's the first of my Volca Drum BlowOuts, 'cos sometimes you've just got to make silly noises.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jd6vxcpxt5c2jl/VDBO#01.wav?dl=0

• @apapdop said:

@LeeB said:

Hey Anthony 👋🏼
    That would be cool!

Hiya Lee

Yes, the Modular got more of the glory, as you said it was released that bit earlier and what a fantastic idea for a Volca eh? But good to see that Korg want to keep the Volca line alive.

Hell yes, Volca Sample with Step Jump staying in time, that would be fantastic...

Here's the first of my Volca Drum BlowOuts, 'cos sometimes you've just got to make silly noises.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jd6vxcpxt5c2jl/VDBO#01.wav?dl=0

Good stuff!

Look forward to hearing some more Blowouts 👍🏼

• I am not too impressed with the volca modular. Maybe I am not good enough, but the sonic diversity of the instrument seems quite limited to me. Of course it is fun just patching around and discover happy accidents here and there, but at the end of the day, I never really got immensely satisfying tones out of it and they were mostly pretty samey. Also, it is more fiddely than I thought with those tiny patch cables. I will return it or sell it soon and put my eyes on the volca drum instead, which looks like the opposite in regards of sonic possibilities.

• @Zaubrer said:
    I am not too impressed with the volca modular. Maybe I am not good enough, but the sonic diversity of the instrument seems quite limited to me. Of course it is fun just patching around and discover happy accidents here and there, but at the end of the day, I never really got immensely satisfying tones out of it and they were mostly pretty samey. Also, it is more fiddely than I thought with those tiny patch cables. I will return it or sell it soon and put my eyes on the volca drum instead, which looks like the opposite in regards of sonic possibilities.

You're good enough, the sonic diversity of the instrument is quite limited.

• The Soundmachines NS1 synth seems the better 'compact modular' option to me. Not sure about the rest of the world but in the US it's only 20 bucks more than the volca modular. Not west coast but we already have ripplemaker :) and it's hackable.

• @syrupcore said:
    The Soundmachines NS1 synth seems the better 'compact modular' option to me. Not sure about the rest of the world but in the US it's only 20 bucks more than the volca modular. Not west coast but we already have ripplemaker :) and it's hackable.

Thanks for the tip. Gonna check on this one. Have been craving a portable modular/semi

• The Volca Drum is a lot better than what’s shown in the videos. I used to have the ER-1 20 years ago when it came out. As mentioned, there’s quite a bit of similarity in the sound. But the Volca goes far beyond what the ER-1 is capable of and the sound quality is much better. The ER-1 always sounded a bit flat to me. The Volca stands out more. Unlike the Volca Beats, I won’t get bored with it and sell it off.

• @syrupcore said:
    The Soundmachines NS1 synth seems the better 'compact modular' option to me. Not sure about the rest of the world but in the US it's only 20 bucks more than the volca modular. Not west coast but we already have ripplemaker :) and it's hackable.

Thanks for that tip from me too! I'm a sucker for these little (but big) desktop patchers.