Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is it worth getting both Cubase & Auria Pro?

Comments

• @Ripper7620 said:

@wim said:

@Ripper7620 said:
    I recently fell back into love with making music on my iPad, after the pump went out in my PC. I purchased Auria Pro in 2014 for $50, if I remember correctly, only to find out I have to repurchase it to get the full version. I’m leaning toward getting Cubase, but would like to know if it’s worth getting both, if it will add a significant number of recording options? BTW, is one better than the other? Last time I was using my iPad for music creating, they were pretty evenly matched, does this still hold true? Thank you for any & all replies.

You shouldn’t have to re-purchase Auria Pro if you already bought it. Are you using the same Apple ID? Have you checked in your Purchased items in the App Store?

Or, is it possible you purchased Auria rather than Auria Pro? If so then you can just restore the IAP, or purchase it if you didn’t already.

Ya, I actually purchased Auria, apparently AP wasn’t out in 2014, because I definitely would have got it instead.

I thought there was an IAP to get to Auria Pro from Auria. Guess I was wrong?

• StageLight does not support IAA, your BiasFX app can not be used.

• @wim said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@wim said:

@Ripper7620 said:
    I recently fell back into love with making music on my iPad, after the pump went out in my PC. I purchased Auria Pro in 2014 for $50, if I remember correctly, only to find out I have to repurchase it to get the full version. I’m leaning toward getting Cubase, but would like to know if it’s worth getting both, if it will add a significant number of recording options? BTW, is one better than the other? Last time I was using my iPad for music creating, they were pretty evenly matched, does this still hold true? Thank you for any & all replies.

You shouldn’t have to re-purchase Auria Pro if you already bought it. Are you using the same Apple ID? Have you checked in your Purchased items in the App Store?

Or, is it possible you purchased Auria rather than Auria Pro? If so then you can just restore the IAP, or purchase it if you didn’t already.

Ya, I actually purchased Auria, apparently AP wasn’t out in 2014, because I definitely would have got it instead.

There is. If he purchased it, then he downloads Auria and uses restore purchase to unlock the Pro IAP within Auria.

• @mjcouche said:
    Not to add fuel to the “Buy this Now” fire, but all IAPs in Auria Pro (FabFilter plugins) are 40% off til May 1st

Looks like I gonna have less money left over than I thought ;)

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@wim said:

@Ripper7620 said:

There is. If he purchased it, then he downloads Auria and uses restore purchase to unlock the Pro IAP within Auria.

@Ripper7620, check the store in Auria. There should be an IAP to unlock Auria Pro. That should be less than purchasing Auria Pro outright.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@wim said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@Ripper7620, check the store in Auria. There should be an IAP to unlock Auria Pro. That should be less than purchasing Auria Pro outright.

Ya, I already checked, it’s only $25 to upgrade, so I’ll go for it

• @Ripper7620 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@wim said:

@Ripper7620 said:

Ya, I already checked, it’s only $25 to upgrade, so I’ll go for it

And there is an update coming very shortly that significantly improves MIDI AU performance and AU instrument behavior.

• edited April 2019

For Pro level power potential and steepest learning curve to master = hand down, Auria Pro ..

I overenthusiastically bought it as my first real DAW
    and before I ended up getting my head around it (its a huge mountain for a newbie like I was) , ended up jumping ship to Cubasis and Gadget, which didn't take long at all to get up to speed and able to translate the music in my head to it. iPad was my entry into the music production world, so those already experienced with desktop DAWs will probably lean toward Auria and immediately get more out of it.

Gadget and NanoStudio 2 are my primary sketchpads - no distractions, very easy to use and get great results. Cubasis 2 is my main all-rounder DAW, though I've also been dabbling in Audio Evolution as well, since it was so inexpensive and has arguably better workflow & tools for editing audio than the latter. Intended to use it as my iOS alternative to Audacity for quick edits, but Evolution looks to be quite a promising daw in its own right.

I'd love to eventually get good enough in Auria Pro to where it becomes second nature -- picked up a handful of the fab filter plugins on sale, so it's something I slowly chip away at and look forward to. Not sure if I'll ever enjoy the workflow for everything particularly the piano roll/ working with midi as much as I do with my mainstays but for mixing/mastering audio tracks, nothing comes close to it on the platform.

• This is all just IMO and YMMV etc:

Cubasis: better for MIDI, especially AUv3 MIDI, supports MPE (which Auria doesn't), easy routing and easy to understand interface. A nice and under-rated built-in synth, and WAVE IAP FX that are pretty good.

Very limited mixer though, no bussing or mixer routing or dedicated Aux channels (does support single FX AUX sends though). Limited audio and MIDI resolution, no audio crossfading which makes it pretty limited for audio editing.

Auria Pro: better for audio, better for mixing, has much more flexible audio routing with busses and channel sends, bigger and more precise faders (especially in portrait mode), built-in groups and also fader linking. You can do desktop level mixing with this app. Excellent built-in synths (FF Twin and One) excellent sample instrument player that loads EXS and streams large instruments off disk, including multi-GB pianos etc... And of course the FF IAP plugins which are the best on the platform.

Currently buggy support for AUv3 MIDI plugins, piano roll while usable is not as nice as others, no support for MPE, and it's a more complex app that has a higher learning curve.

Generally MIDI-centric musicians tend to prefer Cubasis, and audio-centric ones prefer Auria (although it's not entirely cut and dried). I use both, as well as NS2, Gadget and GarageBand. I do all my mixing in Auria, but composing and sequencing in any one of the others. It's usually pretty easy to export stems to Auria from another app.

• Without getting into DAW WARs territory, I think it's a smart move to pick up all the iOS DAW's by only doing so during sales as there are some great bargains to be had. ALL iOS DAW's are weak in certain areas and ALL are best in class in others.

Whilst they're all so competitively priced, sample them all to find which one suits you best. You may find that you like to compose in one DAW and mix and master in another. That's a very common approach. Further to that you might find one DAW excels on the iPhone. That's ones easier to select, as Auria and Cubasis aren't universal apps so they're not available for iPhones.

• @espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:
    I'll just point out that Nanostudio 2 is slated to get audio tracks this year and Fabfilters are slated to be coming out with more AUs. Just info, since it sounds like you have been out of the iOS loop for a bit.

Both of these developments at some unknown future time.

NS2 audio tracks are as far as we know still on course for this year.

IMO, "sometime this year" is vague if you want to make music now or soon. And there is no certainty that the audio tracks features will be ready for prime time on release. While NS2 is quite good, it is also marred by some issues that are non-starters for quite a few. I have no doubt that it will be good, but I wouldn't be waiting around to get started either.

Btw, the FabFilter plugs are on sale till May 1.

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:
    I'll just point out that Nanostudio 2 is slated to get audio tracks this year and Fabfilters are slated to be coming out with more AUs. Just info, since it sounds like you have been out of the iOS loop for a bit.

IMO, "sometime this year" is vague if you want to make music now or soon. And there is no certainty that the audio tracks features will be ready for prime time on release. While NS2 is quite good, it is also marred by some issues that are non-starters for quite a few. I have no doubt that it will be good, but I wouldn't be waiting around to get started either.

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

I agree. If you want NS2 (or any app) buy it for what it can do today, not what you think it might do one day.

• A further value for money consideration is that Auria is half the price of Auria Pro and should you say prefer working in Nanostudio 2 or Cubasis 2 when composing content but prefer mixing content in Auria, you don't necessarily need Auria Pro. Auria is still being maintained e.g. the recent overhaul of PDC was added to both versions of Auria (PDC stands for plugin delay compensation - essential when chaining plugins, as they each tend to add latency, especially the more powerful ones, but it's also important for single plugin instances too).

• @jonmoore said:
    A further value for money consideration is that Auria is half the price of Auria Pro and should you say prefer working in Nanostudio 2 or Cubasis 2 when composing content but prefer mixing content in Auria, you don't necessarily need Auria Pro. Auria is still being maintained e.g. the recent overhaul of PDC was added to both versions of Auria (PDC stands for plugin delay compensation - essential when chaining plugins, as they each tend to add latency, especially the more powerful ones, but it's also important for single plugin instances too).

It's worth pointing out that Auria Pro has busses and full AUX channels, while the non-Pro version doesn't, so for that alone I would personally recommend the Pro version. There are a few other things missing from the non-pro version such the the Lyra sample player and the Twin 2 synth, so overall the Pro version is quite a bit better, even when you don't take MIDI into consideration.

• Ps. Don’t rule out GarageBand.

It’s surprisingly powerful. It also has some glaring omissions but has some really good content. For example the orchestral samples are fairly nice and whilst they may be dismissed to start with because of the touch interface, you can actually use the sounds with a ‘proper ‘ keyboard too.

GB makes exporting stems an infuriating process but it can be done. Just not as slick as, say, NS2 where you can export all tracks in one go.

Also the live loops feature is quite good for live style clip launching and it’s dead easy to drag and drop loops in with the files app in split screen mode. And you can record the loops performances into the timeline. And it works with midi and audio.

It has limitations (it doesn’t seem to be good at time stretching the loops automatically unless they’re in the right format) but there are always workarounds.

But it’s free so costs nothing to find out if you love or loathe it.

• @richardyot said:

It's worth pointing out that Auria Pro has busses and full AUX channels, while the non-Pro version doesn't, so for that alone I would personally recommend the Pro version. There are a few other things missing from the non-pro version such the the Lyra sample player and the Twin 2 synth, so overall the Pro version is quite a bit better, even when you don't take MIDI into consideration.

I was speaking strictly in monetary terms.

• edited April 2019

But Auria does have two send/return busses plus four insert FX and that's more than enough for many projects. Plus with AudioBus you can be super creative with your bussing by adding apeMatrix and AUM into the mix.

I've got nothing against Auria Pro but if you're only working with audio and you use AUM or apeMatrix in combination with AudioBus, you can achieve most things that Auria Pro allows.

The downside is that the learning curve is a little deeper but the flexibility is worth the extra effort IMO.

If I had to nail my colours to the mast and make a solid recommendation it would be the following four apps:

• Nanostudio 2
    • AudioBus
    • AUM
    • Auria

Those four offer best in class performance in each of their areas of strength and would provide far better value for money than $50 on Auria Pro alone.

I'd usually pick apeMatrix over AUM but AUM is far more intuitive so would ease the learning curve of this particular multi app setup. Plus AUM offers 8 busses whereas apeMatrix is up to four but they're not a little weird in terms of how they're configured.

Finally I it would be remiss of me not to mention Loopy as this can be a brilliant tool for storing up to 12 looping stems to stream into Auria.

I honestly think the biggest strength of iOS over the desktop is it's modularity. And whilst @Ripper7620 originally asked for a recommendation of whether he should add Cubasis to Auria Pro, I think it's good in these instances to open out the conversation to a more modular approach, as a lot of people end up deep linking into these threads from Google/DDG searches.

Modularity isn't for everybody but it's good to know that you don't have to restricted to the capabilities of a single DAW on iOS. You can even hook up two DAWs together into a single 'live' workflow if that rocks your boat. :)

• @jonmoore How exactly would you chain Loopy together with Auria?

• @tja said:
    @jonmoore How exactly would you chain Loopy together with Auria?

By creating a sub mix in AUM and routing that into Auria via Audiobus. I forget all the exact steps as it's a while since I've done it myself, but that's the gist of it. The beauty being that you can make up for Auria's lack of insert and buss FX enroute.

• edited April 2019

@klownshed said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

I agree. If you want NS2 (or any app) buy it for what it can do today, not what you think it might do one day.

I disagree. Buy it if you like, for any reason you choose. You are a free human imbued with the sacred power or purchasing.

• @AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

I disagree. Buy it if you like, for any reason you choose. You are a free human imbued with the sacred power or purchasing.

That’s cool. If you want to buy something today for a feature it may or may not get in the future, go for it :-)

• edited April 2019

@klownshed said:

@AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

That’s cool. If you want to buy something today for a feature it may or may not get in the future, go for it :-)

Glad I have your blessing. May I buy an app to support a dev? Is IAP allowed? Your guidance would be most appreciated Godfather.

• @AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

Glad I have your blessing. May I buy an app to support a dev? Is IAP allowed? Your guidance would be most appreciated Godfather.

![](https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/1j/

Twat.

• Now then, now then. Let's not let the curse of DAW WARs lower the tone of the conversation. :)

• @jonmoore said:

@tja said:

By creating a sub mix in AUM and routing that into Auria via Audiobus. I forget all the exact steps as it's a while since I've done it myself, but that's the gist of it. The beauty being that you can make up for Auria's lack of insert and buss FX enroute.

Auria Pro and Loopy support AudioBus 3. In AudioBus 3, you can direct the Loopy individual outs or stereo mix to Auria Pro. Those Loopy outputs become available Auria Pro. Also Auria Pros subs become available to AB3 and can be directed as needed elsewhere.

• @jonmoore : AuriaPro has more aux channels and sends than you mentioned—plus both subgroup buses and almost unlimited user-creatable buses with track outputs directable to multiple buses. And each bus has 4 insert effects. I think there are now 3 sets of two aux sends for six total. And those can be used as bus inputs.

• @klownshed said:

@AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

![](https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/1j/

Twat.

Lol

• edited April 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    @jonmoore : AuriaPro has more aux channels and sends than you mentioned—plus both subgroup buses and almost unlimited user-creatable buses with track outputs directable to multiple buses. And each bus has 4 insert effects. I think there are now 3 sets of two aux sends for six total. And those can be used as bus inputs.

I was talking about Auria not Auria Pro.

The discussion at the time between @richardyot and myself was that for some it may make more sense to own Auria alongside other iOS DAWs. This is in no way meant to be perceived as a criticism of Auria Pro simply a matter of not overspending if you already have tools that get the job done.

Richard made some very valid points about Auria Pro, I replied with discussion points regarding Auria when used as part of a modular setup.

Auria Pro is an excellent improvement on Auria, but from a personal perspective I've never seen the point of upgrading as I get everything I want in Auria and I use a modular workflow to do the things I want on iOS.

I'll probably upgrade at some point if for no other reason than to support the developer, but right now I'm happy with the options I have.

• @jonmoore said:

@tja said:

I tried this:

Audiobus preset 'KB1XeqLoopyAuriaP-01':
    http://preset.audiob.us/FfsY76SZUKGkVcb

But it seems that Auria Pro does not get Audio from Loopy HD, only over Micro (and "Monitor" is required in Loopy HD for this).

What I am doing wrong here?

In the Input Matrix, I chose AudioBus instead of Micro.

• @tja I'm stacked this weekend but maybe @espiegel123 can help as he seems to up to date with this particular workflow.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@tja said:
    But it seems that Auria Pro does not get Audio from Loopy HD, only over Micro (and "Monitor" is required in Loopy HD for this).

What I am doing wrong here?

You need to touch the “>” symbol to the right of Loopy when adding it to the Input, then you’ll see the list of available outputs. This is true for any app that has multi-outs.