Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is it worth getting both Cubase & Auria Pro?

I recently fell back into love with making music on my iPad, after the pump went out in my PC. I purchased Auria Pro in 2014 for $50, if I remember correctly, only to find out I have to repurchase it to get the full version. I’m leaning toward getting Cubase, but would like to know if it’s worth getting both, if it will add a significant number of recording options? BTW, is one better than the other? Last time I was using my iPad for music creating, they were pretty evenly matched, does this still hold true? Thank you for any & all replies.

Best iOS DAW?
  1. What’s the better DAW?33 votes
    1. Auria Pro
      66.67%
    2. Cubase
      33.33%

Comments

• I think you meant “Cubasis.” For me, the answer is yes, but it’s pretty luxurious, especially on the budget. And, it’s a lot of duplication and extra work.

I find Cubasis great for everyday work. And, if you wanted to simply “complete” the Cubasis ecoystem, you have a pretty complete setup there. I won’t get into Cubasis specific benefits or advantages, as that is searchable here.

The biggest reason I like Auria is the fabfilter plugins, and the final product that I can achieve. If I really want to sculpt a mix, I will often go into Auria.

But it requires commitment to work in two different DAWs. And, I have intentionally moved projects from Cubasis to Auria, which is a bit of work.

TLDR, if you like either one, stick with one. If you’re attracted to unique individual features of each, get both.

• Thank > @johnfromberkeley said:

I think you meant “Cubasis.” For me, the answer is yes, but it’s pretty luxurious, especially on the budget. And, it’s a lot of duplication and extra work.

I find Cubasis great for everyday work. And, if you wanted to simply “complete” the Cubasis ecoystem, you have a pretty complete setup there. I won’t get into Cubasis specific benefits or advantages, as that is searchable here.

The biggest reason I like Auria is the fabfilter plugins, and the final product that I can achieve. If I really want to sculpt a mix, I will often go into Auria.

But it requires commitment to work in two different DAWs. And, I have intentionally moved projects from Cubasis to Auria, which is a bit of work.

TLDR, if you like either one, stick with one. If you’re attracted to unique individual features of each, get both.

Thank you very much for the details, I appreciate it very much.

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

Difficult question.

Cubasis was my preferred DAW for quite some time.
    For mixing and mastering, so for finishing something, Aurio Pro is better.

But for getting up to that, I think I would still prefer Cubasis, as it is easy and fast.
    I have both and that's OK for me.

But I don't understand why you would need to purchase AP again.

• @tja said:
    Difficult question.

Cubasis was my preferred DAW for quite some time.
    For mixing and mastering, so for finishing something, Aurio Pro is better.

But for getting up to that, I think I would still prefer Cubasis, as it is easy and fast.
    I have both and that's OK for me.

But I don't understand why you would need to purchase AP again.

I just double checked, and I can upgrade for $25, so I’ll do it, and will probably get Cubasis as well for good measure. I work in Reaper on my PC, and can catch on pretty quick to new ways of working. Thank you very much for the reply.

• @audiobussy said:
    Yes

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it, & I’m likely getting both, since it’s only $25 for an Auria Pro upgrade,

• @Ripper7620 said:
    I recently fell back into love with making music on my iPad, after the pump went out in my PC. I purchased Auria Pro in 2014 for $50, if I remember correctly, only to find out I have to repurchase it to get the full version. I’m leaning toward getting Cubase, but would like to know if it’s worth getting both, if it will add a significant number of recording options? BTW, is one better than the other? Last time I was using my iPad for music creating, they were pretty evenly matched, does this still hold true? Thank you for any & all replies.

If you purchased Auria Pro, you shouldn't have to repurchase. If you purchased Auria and upgraded to pro then you probably just need to redownload and restore purchases. Look in your App Store purchase history to see which you purchased.

I have both Cubasis and AP and use AP more than Cubasis but there are plenty of folks that prefer Cubasis. AP has a full bus system and higher editing resolution than Cubasis. Those are important to some and not others.

AP is about to have a free update that addresses the AU midi issues that have been a problem in the past.

• Have you looked into stagelight, it's a power house

• @espiegel123 said:

@Ripper7620 said:

If you purchased Auria Pro, you shouldn't have to repurchase. If you purchased Auria and upgraded to pro then you probably just need to redownload and restore purchases. Look in your App Store purchase history to see which you purchased.

I have both Cubasis and AP and use AP more than Cubasis but there are plenty of folks that prefer Cubasis. AP has a full bus system and higher editing resolution than Cubasis. Those are important to some and not others.

AP is about to have a free update that addresses the AU midi issues that have been a problem in the past.

Thank you for the reply, I purchased AP all the way back in 2014, and as far as I can see, I still need to upgrade to get the new version, but it’s only $25, & for what it comes with? I think it’s worth it.

• edited April 2019

@reasOne said:
    Have you looked into stagelight, it's a power house

Thank you for the reply, I’m going to check it out right now, I’m all about the choices. Just looked, and wow it’s FREE, at least for the iPhone version, awesome recommendation, thank you!

• Check again. Are you Auria Pro is what you purchased and not Auria? Go into the App Store to the updated page, and show your purchases. There is a search field. Search for "Auria" and it should re-download it. Whichever you bought, you still own and don't need to repurchase.

See also:

http://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13601

• @espiegel123 said:
    Check again. Are you Auria Pro is what you purchased and not Auria? Go into the App Store to the updated page, and show your purchases. There is a search field. Search for "Auria" and it should re-download it. Whichever you bought, you still own and don't need to repurchase.

See also:

http://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13601

Thank you, I’m an idiot, apparently I only purchased Auria, and I’m guessing the Pro version wasn’t out by 2014, because I definitely would have purchased the Pro version if it was available.

• @Ripper7620 : so, you can redownload Auria and just upgrade to Pro. If you did purchase the pro upgrade, (which might not show in the App Store), you can choose Restore Purchases from within the app.

• Just a reminder: those top end plugins by Fabfilter are all IAPs you have to aquire on top of the Auria Pro upgrade.
    They are not included... and way more expensive than AP itself. ;)
    The package is quite affordable, though (compared to desktop versions), but it's a major investment.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Ripper7620 : so, you can redownload Auria and just upgrade to Pro. If you did purchase the pro upgrade, (which might not show in the App Store), you can choose Restore Purchases from within the app.

Thank you for the reply, ya I’ve been using Auria standard since my water pump failure in my PC, and I’m probably gonna both upgrade & get Cubasis for good measure.

• @Telefunky said:
    Just a reminder: those top end plugins by Fabfilter are all IAPs you have to aquire on top of the Auria Pro upgrade.
    They are not included... and way more expensive than AP itself. ;)
    The package is quite affordable, though (compared to desktop versions), but it's a major investment.

Thank you for pointing that out, I should have figured as much.

• I'll just point out that Nanostudio 2 is slated to get audio tracks this year and Fabfilters are slated to be coming out with more AUs. Just info, since it sounds like you have been out of the iOS loop for a bit.

• @AudioGus said:
    I'll just point out that Nanostudio 2 is slated to get audio tracks this year and Fabfilters are slated to be coming out with more AUs. Just info, since it sounds like you have been out of the iOS loop for a bit.

Ya, except for Bias FX for guitar, I haven’t touched an iOS app since 2014.

• @AudioGus said:
    I'll just point out that Nanostudio 2 is slated to get audio tracks this year and Fabfilters are slated to be coming out with more AUs. Just info, since it sounds like you have been out of the iOS loop for a bit.

Both of these developments at some unknown future time.

• @espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

NS2 audio tracks are as far as we know still on course for this year.

• @AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

IMO, "sometime this year" is vague if you want to make music now or soon. And there is no certainty that the audio tracks features will be ready for prime time on release. While NS2 is quite good, it is also marred by some issues that are non-starters for quite a few. I have no doubt that it will be good, but I wouldn't be waiting around to get started either.

Btw, the FabFilter plugs are on sale till May 1.

• @espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

IMO, "sometime this year" is vague if you want to make music now or soon. And there is no certainty that the audio tracks features will be ready for prime time on release. While NS2 is quite good, it is also marred by some issues that are non-starters for quite a few. I have no doubt that it will be good, but I wouldn't be waiting around to get started either.

Sale you say!?!? :blush:

• @Ripper7620 said:

@reasOne said:
    Have you looked into stagelight, it's a power house

Thank you for the reply, I’m going to check it out right now, I’m all about the choices. Just looked, and wow it’s FREE, at least for the iPhone version, awesome recommendation, thank you!

Deff man! It has clip launch like ableton and it's flawless.. Also can do traditional linear style sequencing... Like ableton... The built in synths and effects are top notch and for the paid upgrade you can use your audio units!
    It's my go to daw... That and AUM

• @espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

Yah it was stated for 'summer' at one point. The 'sometime this year' is my blurrin it for my own sanity. But yah sure to each their own. I wouldnt want to pay for AP and a bunch of AP locked Fabs only to have NS2 audio tracks and Fab AUs to come out within a year. We all have our own timelines/patience and ideas as to what may or may not be 'soon'. Just sharing the sort of info I would apreciate getting if I were just getting up to date about these things.

• Oh and stagelight has audio tracks haha !

• @reasOne said:
    Oh and stagelight has audio tracks haha !

I would only need audio tracks when finishing something, which I would do in Auria Pro.
    I don't see much need for them in other Apps, as long as they can export the single tracks as WAV files.

• edited April 2019

I have both, I only use Auria. I mainly play guitar and wind synth and all my stuff is classical studio stuff. I have all the FabFilter plugins and the Over Loud guitar plugins as well and they are both just too good not to use on the iPad. I am often torn between Logic Pro on my Mac versus Audio just due to the FabFilter plugins, still thinking on the sale for the Mac plugins.

Auria is "different" from all other DAWs in my experience and has some just plain weird behaviors IMHO. But its very powerful and intuitive (at east to me) once you figure it out.

• @Ripper7620 said:

You shouldn’t have to re-purchase Auria Pro if you already bought it. Are you using the same Apple ID? Have you checked in your Purchased items in the App Store?

Or, is it possible you purchased Auria rather than Auria Pro? If so then you can just restore the IAP, or purchase it if you didn’t already.

• @wim said:

@Ripper7620 said:

You shouldn’t have to re-purchase Auria Pro if you already bought it. Are you using the same Apple ID? Have you checked in your Purchased items in the App Store?

Or, is it possible you purchased Auria rather than Auria Pro? If so then you can just restore the IAP, or purchase it if you didn’t already.

Ya, I actually purchased Auria, apparently AP wasn’t out in 2014, because I definitely would have got it instead.

• Not to add fuel to the “Buy this Now” fire, but all IAPs in Auria Pro (FabFilter plugins) are 40% off til May 1st