Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano sequencer at audio rates

Has anyone played around with this? If you set Atom to loop 1/256 - 1/64 notes, and raise the tempo multiplier high enough (or tempo), it should be triggering whatever sound source it’s attached to at audio rates. Not all sound sources can keep up, I dont think. ReSlice works, until it crashed. BASSalicious works fantastic. DRC did (edit: not) seem to be able to retriggered to play at audio rates above a certain amount. Zeeon works, but you need to turn on retriggering on the oscillators. It’s basically making an oscillator out of whatever sound source you are triggering st audio rates.

I can post a video later, I’ve not seen this before. You can then alter the sound source for small shifts in the overall sound, and alter the speed of the sequencer to change pitch.

Comments

• iiinteresting!

• auGEN X should be perfect for these kind of experiments :)

• Pics or it didn't happen!

• Lol, AUM/iPad totally freezes when I feed 1/256th notes with 50% gate at 999BPM with tempo multiplier set to 10x and the sine wave from auGEN x turns into a saw wave...

In short my iPad Air 2 can’t handle it :D

• edited April 2019

Sounds like you're trying to split the atom

:D

(On a more serious note... we didn't beta test this scenario, so proceed at your own risk. Blueveek is not responsible for any nuclear blasts resulting from 'improper' use)

• More novel than anything, but I know a lot of you will get a kick out of this. I’m on an iPad Pro 10.5 from 2017.

I’ll post a few more experiments too.

• Ruismaker kick

Redshrike ... this is one synthesizer that doesn’t seem to respond to tempo changes in the same way...

• @tk32 said:
    Sounds like you're trying to split the atom

:D

(On a more serious note... we didn't beta test this scenario, so proceed at your own risk. Blueveek is not responsible for any nuclear blasts resulting from 'improper' use)

Apps will always be 'abused' in ways that the developer never anticipated :)
    Some synths 'crash' when fed with too much information, goes for hardware synths as well...

• edited April 2019

there is some fun to be had with that.

In AUM, I am on a 2017 iPAd pro 12.9 256gb. The CPU is only hitting around 25% or so but it seems to freeze up the interface some. I am going to check out ApeMatrix and compare the results.

• For those interested, GR16 goes up to 999BPM and using 1/32 notes it's plenty fast for granular synthesis :D

• @>; @Samu said:

For those interested, GR16 goes up to 999BPM and using 1/32 notes it's plenty fast for granular synthesis :D

and you can apply stroke for higher rates!

• @bcrichards said:
    @>; @Samu said:

For those interested, GR16 goes up to 999BPM and using 1/32 notes it's plenty fast for granular synthesis :D

and you can apply stroke for higher rates!

Yepp, and the audio-engine doesn't skip a beat ;)

• You guys are crazy. Love it! <3

• I’m tagging @blueveek because I’m keen for him to see this thread now he’s back from his short break.

• edited April 2019

This is pretty cool. I don't want to plug anything here specifically, but from my testing JimAudio's Poison202 is one of the more well behaved plugins that withstands anything I can throw at it.

During testing, I did just like @bcrichards, to make sure everything is sample accurate: fill 2 bars with 1/256 notes, then set the tempo to 999 or something else ridiculous. Some synths kept up flawlessly. Other synths choked. Other synths crashed.

An interesting thing if you're music-theory inclined, is to use this technique to generate another pitch from repeating notes, no matter what those note's original pitch was. I recommend these videos from Adam Neely if you want a deep dive into this:

• @blueveek well, this blew my mind a little. Makes perfect sense when you think it through but very enlightening nonetheless.