Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DefleMask by Leonardo Demartino

DefleMask is a popular cross-platform chiptune tracker, now available for mobile devices, for producing music for many soundchips and old school game-consoles and computers.
Every sound that this tracker produces is from pure register writes to the soundchips being emulated, and those sounds can be exported to the real hardware!

You can connect your MIDI devices!
Share your songs and instruments by a simple touch.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1390797126

Comments

• edited April 2019

Shite! I love Deflemask on the desktop :)

But I will not bite the bullet on this before I know if it has Files.app support and how it actually works since trackers on touch-screen can be a hot or miss and well, I have it on my desktop for 'sample-generation' already...

• @White super-Thanks for all your app-awareness efforts // truly appreciated.

• Only 'video' I've found so far is this, it's the Android version...

• Now I got some serious craving
    This is awesome on desktop

• edited April 2019

I really want to buy this but the author is kind of a twat when it comes to abusing open source licensing. Now he's doing it for profit.

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=148640

• No Interapp-Audio? AU would be preferable.

• If or when someone gets the app, please do check it it has Files.app support?

The desktop version exports *.wav and I presume that's the same here so being able to access the exported files without using a computer would be handy...

• DefleMask (desktop) Manual PDF: http://www.deflemask.com/manual.pdf

I'm split on using iOS trackers without a physical keyboard for input. @samu have you considered / do you have a dedicated iPad (typing) keyboard for tracker use or do you reckon lack of a mouse makes said keyboard only half an iOS tracking solution?

• @Proppa said:
    DefleMask (desktop) Manual PDF: http://www.deflemask.com/manual.pdf

I'm split on using iOS trackers without a physical keyboard for input. @samu have you considered / do you have a dedicated iPad (typing) keyboard for tracker use or do you reckon lack of a mouse makes said keyboard only half an iOS tracking solution?

I'm still a bit 'split' as well...

I do have the Apple BT keyboard that I use with my MacBook Air but I can pair it with the iPad Air 2 when needed. Problem is though that with trackers it's quite tricky since iOS doesn't support 'key up' on external BT keyboards so when recording stuff in for example SunVox no 'note off' command is inserted when the key is released.

On the desktop the same keyboard works properly...
    The SunVox 'module patching' is smoother on a touch-screen compared to using a mouse...

If I would get the Air 3 at some point I'd seriously consider getting the smart cover with built-in keyboard.

The reason I'm interested in Deflemask for iOS is to use it for sample/sound-generation, hence the question if it has Files.app support (meaning I could spend a session in Deflemas creating & rendering sounds and den jump over to other apps and easily import the samples or move them with the Files.app to where ever I wish to store them).

• @Samu said:

If I would get the Air 3 at some point I'd seriously consider getting the smart cover with built-in keyboard.

Ah! So the smart-cover keyboard solves the 'key up' issue(?)

On desktop DefleMask I love the actual sound (and understand why you like sound designing within) but I find a lot of the magic is in (step) automating parameters etc and for that reason really want to be able to capture sequenced files (or IAA / AU record).

• edited April 2019

Bought in on iOS (and Android)
    more info to floor as I fumble along...

it’s universal on iOS

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Export in iOS goes I don’t know where.

Crumbs..
    And thanks for reporting.

• @Samu
    So, it does “save to” Files app...and I found the file where I sent it via Files (sent it to AudioShare)

• edited April 2019

@Proppa said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    Export in iOS goes I don’t know where.

Crumbs..
    And thanks for reporting.

More reports followed your note, I succeeded sending via Files app-

I’ll fumble more before posting next time

• @Proppa said:

@Samu said:

Ah! So the smart-cover keyboard solves the 'key up' issue(?)

On desktop DefleMask I love the actual sound (and understand why you like sound designing within) but I find a lot of the magic is in (step) automating parameters etc and for that reason really want to be able to capture sequenced files (or IAA / AU record).

Don’t know if it solves it since there are usually no music apps using a keyboard installed on the demo devices :(

On the desktop it’s just a matter of creating a pattern with all the desired automation and rendering/exporting it out as a *.wav :)

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @Samu
    So, it does “save to” Files app...and I found the file where I sent it via Files (sent it to AudioShare)

Ok, so ‘export’ is done with the iOS ‘share sheet’? That’s good but is the ‘Deflemask’ folder visible in Files.app?

How well does the note and parameter entry work?
    Any ‘virtual’ up & down arrows when entering notes?

Sorry for asking but I need to be careful with app spendings so I don’t fall down the rabbit hole again...

• edited April 2019

@Samu said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @Samu

Ok, so ‘export’ is done with the iOS ‘share sheet’? That’s good but is the ‘Deflemask’ folder visible in Files.app?

How well does the note and parameter entry work?
    Any ‘virtual’ up & down arrows when entering notes?

Sorry for asking but I need to be careful with app spendings so I don’t fall down the rabbit hole again...

Yes it’s via the share sheet style. The folder isn’t visible within the Files app.
    Entering notes is via touch, a method very similar to SunVox. Move you finger anywhere on the screen moves the cursor...

As in the screen shots, Two keyboard types: virtual ivories, and alphanumeric (unlike SunVox, no virtual arrows for navigation)

On the plus side, beyond standard effects (pitchslide etc) each of the 9 sound systems have their own comprehensive set of effects parameters (the C64 - SID 8580 for example includes set wave, pulse wave reset etc etc)

The synths are very deep in terms of exposed parameters and tweak ability
    (You’d know this better than I, if there’s other screenshots you’d like let me know)

File wise I think the huge sets of files I have on my iPad freaks out the sharing function on the app. When I try to share a .wav on the iPad the app crashes. (In the same way the Files app itself crashes on my device- too much stuff to deal with...)

No problem sharing out on the iPhone install, I’ve moved renders with no issue. I thinks this is because I don’t have 20+ gb of .wav on the phone.

For the iPad it would be nice if it worked the way the app works on Android- the renders collect in the apps folder and and can be shipped around easily on that platform.

I’ll keep playing and will report back here.

• @Littlewoodg said:

As in the screen shots, Two keyboard types: virtual ivories, and alphanumeric (unlike SunVox, no virtual arrows for navigation)

Ok, the on-screen arrows are one of the features that makes entering notes in SunVox on the iPad easier.
    I treat the down arrow as a 'rest' so it makes note-entry/step-recording using the keyboard a bit smoother.

On the plus side, beyond standard effects (pitchslide etc) each of the 9 sound systems have their own comprehensive set of effects parameters (the C64 - SID 8580 for example includes set wave, pulse wave reset etc etc)

Well, aware of that. I have Deflemask on my Mac...

At the moment I'm beta-testing SidTracker64 which will have a few neat additions and I guess most of the 'bugs' have been squashed out by now as It's a LOT harder to make it crash...

The synths are very deep in terms of exposed parameters and tweak ability
    (You’d know this better than I, if there’s other screenshots you’d like let me know)

Yepp, especially like the 4OP FM synth and I do hope Korg doesn't blow it again with the coming Sega & Taito Gadgets...
    (The iYM2151 was made by Detune. Don't know for a fact but I do feel some of the developers are part of the Gadget team as the Nintedo Switch Gadget is made by Detune).

I never got iYM2151 for the iPad and from what I know it doesn't run at all under iOS12...
    I'm not afraid of 'numbers' :D

File wise I think the huge sets of files I have on my iPad freaks out the sharing function on the app. When I try to share a .wav on the iPad the app crashes. (In the same way the Files app itself crashes on my device- too much stuff to deal with...)

Ok, this could potentially be an iPad related bug?

No problem sharing out on the iPhone install, I’ve moved renders with no issue. I thinks this is because I don’t have 20+ gb of .wav on the phone.

Ok, so what you've experienced is most likely an iPad bug...

For the iPad it would be nice if it worked the way the app works on Android- the renders collect in the apps folder and and can be shipped around easily on that platform.

The 'one liner Files.app' support would fix this and make the Deflemask folder visible to Files.app...

I’ll keep playing and will report back here.

Thanks, looking forward to your findings :)

• edited April 2019

@Samu
    Hope it helped

I’m looking forward to that Sid Tracker update.
    I keep iYM2151 on my iPad 1 (iOS 5.x) fun stuff

Until the iPad files deal is sorted I’ll probably work Deflemask on my Android device - and use Dropbox if need be

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @Samu
    Hope it helped

I’m looking forward to that Sid Tracker update.
    I keep iYM2151 on my iPad 1 (iOS 5.x) fun stuff

Until the iPad files deal is sorted I’ll probably work Deflemask on my Android device - and use Dropbox if need be

Yepp, I'm in no rush to get Deflemask for iOS since I already have it on my Mac.
    I have no ETA on the SidTracker64 update but the latest beta will expire in ~67 days.

For now I have to watch my app spendings so it won't get out of control again...

• @Littlewoodg thanks for all the research: definitely enough for me to go for it.
    @Samu SidTracker64 update? Yes!

During this personal Trackers-are-it relapse :* I’ve gone further with SunVox and am convinced that nothing will ever touch it. That said Snibbetracker and DefleMask have been full of “never heard That before!” surprises.

• How easy is to keep SunVox in sync with other apps given it doesn't have midiclock, or link?

• @Proppa said:
    @Littlewoodg thanks for all the research: definitely enough for me to go for it.
    @Samu SidTracker64 update? Yes!

During this personal Trackers-are-it relapse :* I’ve gone further with SunVox and am convinced that nothing will ever touch it. That said Snibbetracker and DefleMask have been full of “never heard That before!” surprises.

Glad it helped (I’m always here to help spend your app money)

The Deflemask sounds are very cool -
    But yes SunVox is king

• @Samu said:
    I have no ETA on the SidTracker64 update but the latest beta will expire in ~67 days.

Wait... They didn't abandon it? :o
    What have you requested / suggested to the devs?

• @senhorlampada said:

@Samu said:

Wait... They didn't abandon it? :o
    What have you requested / suggested to the devs?

I've not suggested anything new other than the old stuff long time ago...

We'll be able to automate the test-bit in the wave-sequences which in practice is used to reset the phase of the oscillators and when multi-speed is used it gives good control over the wave-forms.

And well, don't know if 8-speed (ie. controlling the SID parameters at 400hz) makes it but we can always hope since the compatibility with the real SID has to be maintained. it can after all export a *.prg file that can be run on the real C64...

Time will tell what other goodies will be baked in. It'll be done when it's done but it's not 'abandoned' :)

• Good news! Thanks for the feedback :smile: :sunglasses:

• I was a little stumped by DefleMask's (and others) non-BPM tempo function but found this in case it might be helpful to others too: http://toolsforscholars.com/defmon/bpm.html

• Just purchased this, and it doesn’t work at all on my iPad Pro 12.9” (2017).

Intro screen plays music, I see the main interface for a split second and then the screen goes completely black, and stays that way after closing and restarting the app. Reinstall does the same thing.

• Same thing here. Intro splash screen and music then goes totally black. Restarting the app or resetting the device doesn’t work.