Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best Vocal Compressor AUv3??

What’s your favorite AUv3 compressor for vox? I was holding out for FF Pro C but no dice.

Comments

• edited April 2019

I use AUFX:Push (IAA)

• Despite it's name FAC Maxima will do a pretty good job if you're after a more impressive, but still natural voice. If you want it pumping or Michael Jackson like, that's a different story ;)

• My money is on NYCompressor. I haven't used it on vocals but I couldn't see myself using any other iOS compressor for them.

• @DCJ said:
    My money is on NYCompressor. I haven't used it on vocals but I couldn't see myself using any other iOS compressor for them.

+1 NYCompressor seems to change signal volume without adding any new frequencies.

FAC Maxima probably has the same benefit with the exception of boosting the signal as
    high as NYCompressor in my particular situation. I had a Piano instrument in Lyra that
    was down near the noise floor. Most Compressors pull up the noise with the piano.

FAC pulled it up but just not enough.
    "Limiter - Audio Processor" pulled it way up but added a some saturation/color.

Then I got NYCommpressor in a Black Friday bundle and it pulls it up and doesn't
    add saturation. The DDMF guy Christian Siedschlag has 4 AUv3 tools and sells them in a bundle for $18 or $3.75 each. NYCompressor alone is $9. Try all 5 of them on your vocals, IMHO. They are based on real studio hardware people pay the big bucks for... at $3.75 each.
    Of course, people sometimes pay big bucks because of the sounds they create.

If you want new colors then work through the others:

FAC Maxima
    Limiter - Audio Processor

MicSwap Pro might add compression and focus on the great vocal mic's used it the studio.

• FAC Maxima and FabFilter Pro-L aren't just Limiters that simply prevent the signal from exceeding a certain top level.
    They scale down peaks above a treshold in a dynamic way, so the signal's character is kept but the choosen top level isn't exceeded. That top level doesn't have to be 0dB/fs (as desired in loudness maximizing), but any level you choose.

The benefit is a much lower distortion rate than traditional compressors generate.
    Another nice feature is that you don't have to worry about attack and decay times, which are crucial settings for a compressor and (may) vary with the source and it's timing.

• How much of an issue is latency with vocals. I like Maxima but I think you have to keep an eye on latency when using it. Maybe it’s the same with the others also depending on settings.

• I do vocals in Logic Pro on Desktop. I find the most success with the “Studio VCA” emulation. (The Red one). I would like an AUv3 that is as close to that as possible

• @gusgranite said:
    How much of an issue is latency with vocals.

most dynamic processors have some lookahead time and there's the usual (system dependant) latency.
    As a performing artist you have to (ideally) ignore the compressor and just trust in it.
    Watching talents on casting shows trying to 'adjust' themselves to the thing (which is obviously on their monitor signal) is a constant source of amusement... ;)
    Maxima and Pro-L are best in the post-processing domain as you can adjust threshold and loudness according to the recorded waveform and modify sections that require different treatment.

• @gusgranite said:
    How much of an issue is latency with vocals. I like Maxima but I think you have to keep an eye on latency when using it. Maybe it’s the same with the others also depending on settings.

@gusgranite Agreed 100% I was experimenting with Maxima yesterday and it has a lot of latency.