Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Blocs vs launch

I just grabbed the pro features for launch pad while it's on sale, pretty good for 7 USD imo...
I was really wanting it just to launch loops that I record in AUM to arrange some songs... Seems like a good way to go about it but I'll find out...
What are other users opinions on using launch pad for this... It is what it's designed for right...
Considering this is there a need to grab blocs wave pro features??
Seems like they both let you kinda do the same things...i do like that you can mute parts real quick in blocs tho just by sliding down on it...
Anyway what pros could blocs pro bring to this set up

Comments

• Blocs seems way faster if you are selecting loops to create a group or scene. If you already know what loops and samples you are using, it may not really help much.

Blocs has features to quickly load loops in correct key/tempo and randomly select the loop or sample based on an instrument type tag. You create a whole row to import into a Launchpad project. So you can quickly build Launchpad rows with loops/samples that work well together.

• @reasOne said:
    I just grabbed the pro features for launch pad while it's on sale, pretty good for 7 USD imo...
    I was really wanting it just to launch loops that I record in AUM to arrange some songs... Seems like a good way to go about it but I'll find out...
    What are other users opinions on using launch pad for this... It is what it's designed for right...
    Seems like they both let you kinda do the same things...i do like that you can mute parts real quick in blocs tho just by sliding down on it...

I’ve only got the free version of LP, but for me the beauty of Blocs is that you can change the pitch and tempo of your samples. Then you can import them into LP ready to go.

• I use Blocs first too. I also find it easier to load loops into Blocs then export to launchpad for 1 screen access to all the loops + the silly stuttery nonsense that is fun.

Blocs also has the random feature where you just keep tapping the pad to change out loops which can be good and also it has the slicer. I’m not sure if launchpad can slice?

Pro features are on sale in Blocs at the moment too.

• Launchpad kicks ass.

Here’s how I use it:

1. With Seekbeats: use this most awesome percussion synth to create cool loops. Use the export loop. It makes PERFECT loops, even with fx with tails that typically are hard to loop. Copy loop to audio share, the in audio share open with launchpad.
    2. Jam in AUM: Because AUM has Link and will quantize to any size you want, you end up with pretty solid quantized audio files. Open these jams in Audio Evolution Pro (best audio editor/daw on iOS btw) and use it’s beat grid to snap to loop boundaries, then in “range” mode use “open range in...” to bring it right into LaunchPad... can’t imagine an easier or cleaner workflow... Short of telepathy...
  • Awesome info guys!
    I went ahead and grabbed all the pro features for both for a total of like 10$ haha can't beat that.
    I've used iOS a long time and never really thought much about these two, but I was jamming in LP earlier and having fun and it was so easy..
    I dig the blocs to launch workflow, very quick and seems less didn't realize that was a thing!
    Deff a good way to jam your loops and arrange em like using Ableton... Just gotta make sure they are fully finished loops with all the effects and everything you need... Would be sweet if you could load into AUM and record your jam out into stems again once you have em arranged, but I'll take it and use it for a final mix..

Also that's a great idea @MonkeyDrummer, I don't have audio evolution but may look into it if this workflow ends up being a successful one..
    And yes seekbeats is rad

• @MonzoPro said:

@reasOne said:

I’ve only got the free version of LP, but for me the beauty of Blocs is that you can change the pitch and tempo of your samples. Then you can import them into LP ready to go.

LP can now do this too.

Rule of thumb for me is blocs wave for building, launchpad for performing. :) Integration between the 2 is pretty seamless.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@reasOne said:

LP can now do this too.

Rule of thumb for me is blocs wave for building, launchpad for performing. :) Integration between the 2 is pretty seamless.

Ahhh, didn't realise LP did that too. I tend to think of Blocs as the 'organiser', that collects it all together, chops, pitches etc. and then into LP for jamming it out. Saying that I normally don't get that far, and jam it via Blocs :)

• Agree with others, BW for creating loops from its loops packs or other apps recorded through Audiobus, using EQ and slicer iaps, and Launchpad for jamming. You can also export stems from Blocswave to any DAW or Ableton Live.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@reasOne said:

LP can now do this too.

Ahhh, didn't realise LP did that too. I tend to think of Blocs as the 'organiser', that collects it all together, chops, pitches etc. and then into LP for jamming it out. Saying that I normally don't get that far, and jam it via Blocs :)

It was added in an update at some point....being a launch controller owner, I head for Launchpad app to get the loops onto physical pads ;)

• I just got back into blocs wave last night. Such a fun, clean app.

Loaded some lumbeats drum and bass apps in audiobus and recorded into blocs
    Add in a few other loops, slice a few up and then send the project to launchpad

Half the beats I make in the blocks tend to sound a lot better then the stuff I make in other apps.
    The simple and clean workflow really gets me going. And once you get a bunch of your own samples in the app and categorized it’s super fast to get ideas started

Watch Hennys YouTube video on it if you haven’t yet

• edited May 2020

The continuous playback instant mute /unmute on blocs wave would be useful on Launchpad.
    Couldn’t find a workaround on launchpad.
    Multi outs would be amazing on both.
    Thinking of workaround by using ape matrix sampler inside Aum but it might be tedious and inaccurate.