Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Aum sync issue!!

Edit This looks like an Aum transport issue, as it lags gradually even using Beathawk as an AU inside Aum.

Listen to this recording, it starts out sync'd up, then by the 2.5 minute mark it is dreadfully behind...

Has anyone noticed that when in Aum using Link, tempo gradually falls behind non-Au apps like Beatmaker, AfroLatin DM, and others? If I stop and restart Beatmaker (or others) it resyncs, but immediately starts drifting again. Takes about 45 seconds to be totally off... I will run tests on Apematrix and see if it is happening there too...

Comments

• Okay, now I am noticing that Beathawk AU ALSO drifts in Aum, and for some reason Apematrix is only outputting the left channel of everything...????

iOS update issues???

• edited April 2019

This is making Aum unusable, because all the stuff is drifting. I didn't notice it that bad before today, because I was starting / stopping frequently, but now that I'm 'jamming' it is very much a problem.

Certainly someone else has the issue? I tested with Live Link both on and off in Aum, same result. All pattern based AU's and IAAs seem to be effected, it is Aum's transport that seems to be the issue.

Latest iOS on 2018 iPad Pro

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

Can you describe accurately describe. The simplest setup you can that does this. No point in others testing things that you’re not doing. I have to think that it’s something in the setup since if there were this kind of general issue it would surely be reported by others. Please be sure to mention if you have any external hardware connected as well. Oh, and please describe how you know that it’s drifting. What are you comparing against?

Oh, and the inevitable question ... “Have you tried rebooting?”

• @wim said:

So any app, AU or otherwise, that is loop / pattern related with its own playhead (such as Patterning, Beathawk, Rosetta Bassline, Autonomy, Fugue etc) that is sync'd to Aum outruns Aum's metronome and therefore doesn't sync with fx and each other well. (on my iPad)

I not only rebooted, I updated to the latest OS, same issue...

Simplest check. Run Aum with Beathawk as an AU and compare Aums metronome to Beathawks beat. In my tests by the 2 minute mark Aum's metro is way behind Beathawk.

Same went for IAA apps such as AfroLatin DM, Patterning, and others - they all outrun Aum gradually, then resync when you stop / start the IAA/AU's.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@scottsunn said:

@wim said:

So any app, AU or otherwise, that is loop / pattern related with its own playhead (such as Patterning, Beathawk, Rosetta Bassline, Autonomy, Fugue etc) that is sync'd to Aum outruns Aum's metronome and therefore doesn't sync with fx and each other well. (on my iPad)

I not only rebooted, I updated to the latest OS, same issue...

Simplest check. Run Aum with Beathawk as an AU and compare Aums metronome to Beathawks beat. In my tests by the 2 minute mark Aum's metro is way behind Beathawk.

Same went for IAA apps such as AfroLatin DM, Patterning, and others - they all outrun Aum gradually, then resync when you stop / start the IAA/AU's.

Solid as a rock here on Air 2, latest iOS. I started with Beathawk, played for 5 minutes, kept playback running while I added added Rozeta with Ruismaker, then Patterning 2, Atom with EGLM1, and finally Funkbox. They are all running flawlessly in the background as I type this, and have been doing so for almost 15 minutes.

Are you sure you don’t have some other device involved? Maybe another device with Link running on the same wireless network? Or some other source of midi clock (though this shouldn’t affect AUM).

Sorry man, don’t know what to tell you.

• If you can create an easy to share project with other apps to try and replicate.

Yeah I get the same drift with BeatHawk AU if I use the built in sequencer. It’s always had AU sync issues though, I’ve had problems with that in the past and they never fixed it. Still the same for me too.

I have noticed enso going out of sync recently sometimes. I think it’s more likely the AU than the transport with any problems myself. Just tried Patterning and Fugue machine and was ok for me.

• edited April 2019

I don’t have drift issues with BeatHawk AU in AUM. Is IAA/AU sync enabled in settings? If disabled, transport will be synced but there is no tempo sync:

• Yes sync is on for me, just tried again though and seems better this time so maybe it's only sometimes...or with certain samples....Not sure, but certainly seems to be improved over the last few updates.

• Ooh, I've just discovered a good way of importing user samples into Beathawk, import a zipped file and you can unzip it in the library, didn't know you could do that, as the file menu is quite frustrating to use.

• edited April 2019

@Carnbot said:
    Ooh, I've just discovered a good way of importing user samples into Beathawk, import a zipped file and you can unzip it in the library, didn't know you could do that, as the file menu is quite frustrating to use.

Yes that works well that way. I agree the file menu can give headaches :(

• @scottsunn: have you tried playing with different samplerates? I had a similar issue with riffer (AU) inside AUM running at 44.1k. After switching to 48k the issue was solved (for me).
    It seems that not all apps respect the host-samplerate and instead sync to the device-samplerate, which is afaik 48k for most of the newer devices. definitly worth a try.
    electronicsfordogs

• AUM and any host can also definitely jerk out of sync in certain situations when you get a cpu spike for example.

• @electronicsfordogs said:
    @scottsunn: have you tried playing with different samplerates? I had a similar issue with riffer (AU) inside AUM running at 44.1k. After switching to 48k the issue was solved (for me).
    It seems that not all apps respect the host-samplerate and instead sync to the device-samplerate, which is afaik 48k for most of the newer devices. definitly worth a try.
    electronicsfordogs

Will def try this, tnx

• edited April 2019

@Janosax said:
    I don’t have drift issues with BeatHawk AU in AUM. Is IAA/AU sync enabled in settings? If disabled, transport will be synced but there is no tempo sync:

Uh... where is this setting? Not seeing it. Are you beta testing the new aum, or am I an idiot?

edit ah you mean in BH. I am getting drift now with Riffer and just about every freaking app in Aum and in ApeMatirixxx. Ghost in the machine.

Yes, Beathawk has that selected, still drifts.

• I've got sync issues with AUM as well.

Trying to get it to sync with hardware has been an ongoing problem. I keep trying to integrate other apps to help with syncing (link sync, AB3..) but no silver bullet just yet.

I know it's on the to do list, so I patiently work with the present workarounds. AUM is still ahead of the curve (imo) despite this minor shortcoming..

• @palm said:
    I've got sync issues with AUM as well.

Trying to get it to sync with hardware has been an ongoing problem. I keep trying to integrate other apps to help with syncing (link sync, AB3..) but no silver bullet just yet.

I know it's on the to do list, so I patiently work with the present workarounds. AUM is still ahead of the curve (imo) despite this minor shortcoming..

Link doesent sound very stable, at least if you try to convert midi clock to link and your hardware doesent support link natively.

Does your hardware send midi cc from play button? If it does, you could just map play of aum to play of your hardware. I have done that and it worked.

• @ToMess said:

@palm said:

Link doesent sound very stable, at least if you try to convert midi clock to link and your hardware doesent support link natively.

Does your hardware send midi cc from play button? If it does, you could just map play of aum to play of your hardware. I have done that and it worked.

Won't the hardware and AUM drift apart then?
    With only one bpm decimal I guess it's impossible to match bpm precisely without them drifting apart soon. I'm eager to learn any trick to solve this.

• @rs2000 said:

@ToMess said:

@palm said:

Won't the hardware and AUM drift apart then?
    With only one bpm decimal I guess it's impossible to match bpm precisely without them drifting apart soon. I'm eager to learn any trick to solve this.

I didnt notice drifting when i did this

• edited April 2019

@ToMess said:

@palm said:

Sadly, I can't get the play button on the Squarp Pyramid to trigger AUM's transport unless through link.

I've tried everything I can think of. link sync was the only somewhat stable option, it sort of syncs, but effects audibly drift out of sync (delays glitch etc).

Also tried using AB3 (which syncs very well in the latest beta) to simply send clock to AUM, but AUM seems to only receive clock when AB3 is in the foreground, and even so it is very sluggish to update to tempo changes.

• BeatHawk is still definitely not staying in sync for me, have to keep restarting it. Think it still needs a bug fix.

• FWIW, I can’t get Bias FX (for BPM sync type fx) to sync when selecting the Enable MIDI Clock function (send to Bias FX). Not sure if it’s AUM or Bias FX or both. Have tried various workarounds with little success.

• So, I waited to continue to pursue this, to try out the new AUM update to see if it had any issues, and the sync troubles are still there if not worse...

I ran riffer as an AU and it drifted out of sync of Aums metronome within a minute. ??? Rosetta xox was drifting as well until I enabled 'loop sync', but not many AU's have this setting

thoughts?

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:
    5m30s and counting, no sync issue.

iPad Pro 2017, AUM, Rosetta bassline, MV08.

@scottsunn - I think the X0X loop sync is for sync loops of different lengths.

Correct. This should have no effect on things. I wonder why it makes a difference for @scottsunn. (Also why more people don’t have this issue.)

• Could those experiencing a sync issue do a screen recording that walks through the set up and demonstrates the issue? It might illuminate some difference in what they are doing and what people with no issue are doing.

• See how in the beginning of the video, it had been playing for a while, so it starts out out of sync. I restart the playhead on Aum at the 22 second mark, which re-aligns Riffer with Aums metronome, but by 2.5 minute mark it is badly out of sync again. This happens with everything I try and sync outside of Link based sync. I haven't tried using timecode yet, but I didn't have this problem until recently... Seems like an iOS system issue, or ??

• @scottsunn : it would be helpful if you made a video that starts with an empty AUM session and shows you getting it set up and shows the setup and sync options of all apps and plugs involved.

I don't have Riffer but maybe someone else reading can replicate what you demonstrate.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @scottsunn : it would be helpful if you made a video that starts with an empty AUM session and shows you getting it set up and shows the setup and sync options of all apps and plugs involved.

I don't have Riffer but maybe someone else reading can replicate what you demonstrate.

I made a midi track w riffer, and sunrizer is getting its midi from it. Before recently, any midi sequencing AU would play lockstep in time with Aum, now they are running a tiny bit faster, so they begin to get out of time, or I would say that Aum falls behind... It seems that Aum is only sending the tempo and a start message, so unless they all have the exact same tempo, they will eventually drift. I am going to experiment some more w settings...

LMK if anyone has same issue... or better yet if they find a fix.

• @scottsunn : I just ran BeatHawk for 5 minutes playing a quarter note pattern and it stayed locked to AUM’s click. I tried at 120 bpm and 40 bpm.

It would be more informative, if you showed the whole procedure as I mentioned before...in case it is related to particular settings in one of the components involved. So many people use AUM that I’d think if there were a generic synch issue, there would be a lot more reports of problems. Obviously, you are running into some issue, but it isn’t clear what all gives rise to it.

• I just ran a test with BH AU and BH IAA loaded in AUM playing quarter notes with AUM click on. I tried both with Ableton Link and MIDI Clock. Both ran for a few minutes with no change in synch.