Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Valhalla Delay released $50 (PC/Mac)

edited April 2019 in Other

Instabought. Traveling with no PC to even use. Commitment!

Comments

• A request: In the future, can people be more specific with threads like this?

• Mark in the title whether the release is iOS or not (as this is an iOS-specific board, it’s a courtesy). I (and likely many others here) don’t particularly care about non-iOS releases and find these threads to be clutter

• Post a link, iOS or not. This board use to be far better about this.

Thanks

• edited April 2019

@CalCutta said:
    A request: In the future, can people be more specific with threads like this?

• Mark in the title whether the release is iOS or not (as this is an iOS-specific board, it’s a courtesy). I (and likely many others here) don’t particularly care about non-iOS releases and find these threads to be clutter

Thanks

Sorry. Traveling. On phone. Was excited:-). Edited the title.

• Will get this at some point his Shimmer vst is top notch.

• I've heard great things about his plugins, but currently own none. I've also heard great things about Shimmer.

• Oh man, I just bought echoboy last week so will have to pass on this. But valhalla room is amazing, very glad I got it recently.

• @mrufino1 said:
    Oh man, I just bought echoboy last week so will have to pass on this. But valhalla room is amazing, very glad I got it recently.

From what I’m reading (I won’t be able to use it for a few more days), the two delays are pretty dissimilar.

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@CalCutta said:
    A request: In the future, can people be more specific with threads like this?

Thanks

Sorry. Traveling. On phone. Was excited:-). Edited the title.

Thank you both.

• instabuy from me. I use valhalla and eventide blackhole alot on my desktops.
    check out sean’s soundcloud demos too, those with the moog grandmother are excellent ambient soundscapes

• Instabuy for me. I've been waiting quite a while for this release. It's crazy like delays of old. With a knobby controller, it gets way out there.

• All his plugins sound great (with musical character), have an efficient controller interface and are reasonably priced. Btw the the only VST effects I use on a regular base.
    Worth mentioning: his Blog contains a great reverb 101 with details in understandable language for us regular users.

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@mrufino1 said:
    Oh man, I just bought echoboy last week so will have to pass on this. But valhalla room is amazing, very glad I got it recently.

From what I’m reading (I won’t be able to use it for a few more days), the two delays are pretty dissimilar.

That's probably true, I just have to recover from the massive check I just wrote to the government...and I have to learn echoboy since I bought it first.

• most interesting and evolved (to me) delays released recently:

HY-Delay4* https://hy-plugins.com/product/hy-delay4/
    ValhallaDelay* https://valhalladsp.com/shop/delay/valhalladelay/
    MTurboDelay** https://www.meldaproduction.com/MTurboDelay

*fantastic and affordable
    **some original modes but way too expensive...

• There’s zero chance Sean will release his plugins for iOS, right?

• Valhalla Room is the only reverb I use. I love how it sounds and appreciate Sean's streamlined non nonsense GUIs. Will have to give this delay a spin.

• @jipumarino said:
    There’s zero chance Sean will release his plugins for iOS, right?

He said not likely on his Facebook page.

• @Multicellular said:

@jipumarino said:

He said not likely on his Facebook page.

Ah thanks, good to know

• @ecamburn said:
    Valhalla Room is the only reverb I use. I love how it sounds and appreciate Sean's streamlined non nonsense GUIs. Will have to give this delay a spin.

I think Sean was involved with audiokit reverb? Maybe D1?

• edited April 2019

@jipumarino said:

But you have four of Sean's designs in Audio Damage Eos.

Obviously, these have been refined by Sean since he founded Valhalla. But they're still a stunning set of verbs, particularly the plates, and are fantastic value.

• @midiSequencer said:

@ecamburn said:
    Valhalla Room is the only reverb I use. I love how it sounds and appreciate Sean's streamlined non nonsense GUIs. Will have to give this delay a spin.

I think Sean was involved with audiokit reverb? Maybe D1?

Iirc there's in fact a small 'Costello' labeled section in the library, but that's just a snippet compared to his Intel based stuff.

• Picked it up earlier, there’s a lot going on under the hood with this, pretty impressed so far.

• So, I've heard of the mentioned EchoBoy and now this. I rarely use ProTools or VSTs anymore (only rarely in someone else's studio). Just curious without doing the legwork or watching several minutes of videos if the Fabfilter Timeless 2 has been passed up or it still holds its own. Because for me it's been close to the end all be all of delays.

• tbh the Timefactory and Pitchfactory (very extensive) modulated 'Delays' are one of the reasons I still use Pro Tools TDM as an effect unit.
    The algorithms of these plugins were originally designed by Tonetoys predecessor company (Wave Mechanic) for Eventide rack units.

• Having spent most of yesterday putting Valhalla Delay through its paces, I'm just beginning to get a feel for where its strengths lie.

Let's just get this out of the way first, it's fantastic value for $50. And even when using heavily modulated, pitch shifting options the CPU overhead is reasonable.

But I'm not sure it's a replacement for native options such as Soundtoys and Eventide. Rather I see it as a fantastic compliment to those options. The Ghost mode, in particular, feels like something new. And the BBD mode in combination with the era options is fantastic.

As usual with artist presets, some are trying too hard to impress but the Simon Stockhausen selection are very usable straight out the gate and speaking personally they're teaching me a lot in terms of how best to get the most out of Valhalla delay.

What I'm really interested in now, is seeing what can be achieved with Valhalla Delay in combination with UltraMod and any of Sean's reverb flavours. I think we're reaching the point were Sean should look into creating some form of multi-fx wrapper for his products for sample accurate multi-fx setups. There are plenty of options for rolling your own but it's always nice to have a native option.

My only negatives with Valhalla Delay are that some of the modes e.g. BBD require a noise gate as part of the setup as the noise floor is far too audible whilst the effect is in rest-state (where there are long breaks between incoming audio signals). And overall I think we're spoilt for high-quality modulation FX these days (such the recent Native Instruments modulation FX) and I'm not sure that the modulated signal effects in Valhalla Delay (and UberMod for that matter) is quite up where it needs to be. But that might be by design as that increase in quality ups the DSP overhead.

Those negative are minor in the bigger scheme of things and Valhalla Delay is another winner from Sean Costello.

• @jonmoore said:
    But I'm not sure it's a replacement for native options such as Soundtoys and Eventide. Rather I see it as a fantastic compliment to those options.

Valhalla Delay has few to nothing in common with the old Eventide stuff.
    (I only mentioned the brand because those PT plugins are probably unknown today, unlike the rack units)

• Would absolutely second the comments that this and Echoboy are complimentary - very different beasts IMO.

This sounds lovely and I'm sure will be a 'go to' item for me (just like the Valhalla reverbs which are the main reverbs I use all the time)

• I was looking through my ipad apps to find a delay that comes close to ValhallaDelay or Echoboy in terms of a wide range of color and creative palete and the only one that i found was RE-1 and that one is still very limited in comparison to VD and EB.
    Do you know of a iOS delay that has more parameters to play with than the usual ones?

• It's not so much about numbers of parameters but about the timing precision of the delay line(s) and how filters, envelopes and other modulation parameters are implemented.
    (timing doesn't mean bpm, but sample accurate processing... which has to be hand-coded at a rather close level to the hardware)
    Echo-Pad and Moebius Lab are quite versatile candidates and SamplR on already recorded audio if you move your finger carefully on the XY surface.

• edited April 2019

@dreamrobe said:
    I was looking through my ipad apps to find a delay that comes close to ValhallaDelay or Echoboy in terms of a wide range of color and creative palete and the only one that i found was RE-1 and that one is still very limited in comparison to VD and EB.
    Do you know of a iOS delay that has more parameters to play with than the usual ones?

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for but you can roll your own delay FX on iOS using the following ingredients - but you'll need apeMatrix to power the multi-FX approach. AUM/AudioBus are useful but they don't have the routing flexibility of apeMatrix ( in alphabetical order):

• Virsyn AudioEffx, the delay in this multiFX is powerful but when combined with other FX - chorus, phaser, para eq, reverb and soft/tape saturation algorithms, it's a delay powerhouse.
    • Bleass Delay, this one's especially good for delays with pitch shift.
    • Audio Damage - Dubstation 2, far more powerful than you might think, especially when modulating the tempo (without tempo sync).
    • Audio Damage Discord - as close as you're going to get to an Eventide shifting effect on iOS
    • Lofionic Duplicat, provides a nice Roland-ish chorus, on a Dimension D tip.
    • Audio Damage Eos, great with short decay times used in combo with a tape delay.
    • Audio Damage Filterstation 2 - the two things that make this essential for delay return paths are the MS20 filter model and the feedback saturation IO path.
    • Audio Damage FuzzPluss - used in moderation great for dirtying things up a little.
    • Audio Damage Grind - similar to Filterstation (only a single filter in this one) but far more distortion flavour and a way more flexible LFO.
    • Klevgrand Haaze, really useful for tweaking the stereo field of your delay returns.
    • Audio Damage Kombinat Tri - multiband distortion that comes alive in apeMatrix (e.g. use one instance to process low and high freq, whilst a second on the mid, with different delay rates)
    • Brambos Kosmonaut - need I say more...
    • Lofionic Mani - tasty analog chorus sim.
    • Moog Model 15 as an FX. Difficult to learn but worth the effort.
    • Audio Damage Phase Three - I never used to be a fan of this, but the third iteration really nailed it, especially the pedal aspect, which is perfect for guitar delay FX
    • Audio Damage QuatroMod. Flanger, Chorus, Diffusor and Freqshift, all useful pre/post delay.
    • RX950 - a personal fave. This one models the 12bit signal path of the Akai S-950. Far more than a bit reduction effect.
    • Audio Damage Ratshack Reverb - this is iOS's BBD secret weapon, especially when used in combination with Kombinat.
    • Audio Damage Replicant - another of those that come to life with Kombinat.
    • VirSyn Tap Delay, many people overlook that this has probably the best tape simulation on iOS, as well as having set of decent delay controls.

I think iOS is reasonably well served when it comes to delay FX, especially if you're willing to put in a bit of time to design your own multi-fx setups in apeMatrix.