Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

My humble request for a super-simple AU: A DJ-style combo HP/LP+Rex filter...

I think we could really use a basic DJ style filter.

Basically this:

DJ Filter AU?
  1. Could you use a simple DJ Style HP/LP filter?20 votes
    1. YES!
      55.00%
    2. no...
      30.00%
    3. Hang The DJ!
      15.00%

Comments

• edited February 2019

Hold my beer. 😉

• @SevenSystems said:
    Hold my beer. 😉

Any movement on this beer holding? My arm’s getting tired... 😋

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Hold my beer. 😉

Haha :) sorry, I had forgotten about this... is there really no such thing, or is it just impossible to find in the App Store?

• @SevenSystems said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Hold my beer. 😉

Haha :) sorry, I had forgotten about this... is there really no such thing, or is it just impossible to find in the App Store?

I've really dug. Not finding anything. Can kinda use dubfilter, but it's got a weird sound.

• Blamsoft F-16 filter. Check out the filter modes to verify that it will meet your expectations. It sounds very nice. Wish it had an envelope follower, but that’s not needed for a DJ filter.

• @frond said:

Blamsoft F-16 filter. Check out the filter modes to verify that it will meet your expectations. It sounds very nice. Wish it had an envelope follower, but that’s not needed for a DJ filter.

Nope, that won’t work as you have to choose type. I’m talking about the type of filter where when you turn one knob, it goes from hp to LP along with the cut freq. and then maybe another knob for Rez. It’s more like a tilt filter...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MonkeyDrummer

The blamsoft has two settings that should do what you want;

2 pole high pass + 1 pole low pass - this mode is combined.

3 pole high pass + 1 pole low pass - combined again.

Saturation to get the character of some of the early Bozak rotary mixers, mix, freq, resonance. Not sure if the controls can be assigned to a midi knob. Wont give you what you need?

• @frond said:
    @MonkeyDrummer

The blamsoft has two settings that should do what you want;

2 pole high pass + 1 pole low pass - this mode is combined.

3 pole high pass + 1 pole low pass - combined again.

Saturation to get the character of some of the early Bozak rotary mixers, mix, freq, resonance. Not sure if the controls can be assigned to a midi knob. Wont give you what you need?

>

I think the idea is that it is just one knob to rule them all.

• edited April 2019

Audio Damage Filterstation 2 is pretty close to being what @MonkeyDrummer wants. Just set it up with two Brambos X/Y pads from Rozeta. The MS20 filters are especially tasty as is the sophisticated return path IO saturation.

Far better filter modeling than the Blamsoft for my money.

• I don't think folks get the idea of what I'm talking about.

One knob
    Turn right for hp, turn left for lp, at 12:00, no filter. Maybe another knob for rez.

If AUM's midi curve in the mapping section allowd a bit more control I could just use AUMs filters.

• I think I understand what you’re talking about, but I wasn’t sure if Blamsoft f-16 could be controlled with midi.

Installed Blamsoft filter, opened in AUM, set to 2 pole hp + 1 pole lp preset ( filters are parallel in this setting ).

You want it to sweep from lp, to flat, to hp, correct? It’s probably not technically flat at 12:00, but it sounds close.

Assigned art kerns midilfo’s to frequency of the filter, because I don’t have a midi controller with me. It does what you want.

As jonmoore said, Filterstation2 works as well. To create a DJ type filter choose the parallel filter setting, one lp, one hp, assign middle control to frequency. You’ll need to assign your controller to 2 frequencies in Filterstation2 ( lp, hp). The ms20 filters are indeed tasty!

I use both Filterstation2 and Blamsoft f-16. They sound different to me. Both are useful. I find Filterstation2’s filters more precise. It’s definitely more flexible.

Hope that helps.

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 it sounds to me like it could be resonance... is there a resonance (or Q) setting in those Apple filters and are they turned all the way down?

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Others to try: Amazing Noises DubFilter, apeFilter, 4Pockets FilterMorph

I can't figure out FilterMorph, but maybe. DubFilter will make you forget what you were trying to do, in a good way.

• http://fredantoncorvest.com/FAC_Bandit.html
    @MonkeyDrummer new FAC BANDIT. 3 band plus has built in saturation etc

• @MonkeyDrummer did you ever find a good solution? I took for granted this would be easy to find! It’s essential for live PA techno.

• @stormbeats thanks but this is useful only for a DJ mixer style 3 band EQ rather than a single hi/lo filter knob (optionally with resonance control).

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@wahnfrieden said:
    @stormbeats thanks but this is useful only for a DJ mixer style 3 band EQ rather than a single hi/lo filter knob (optionally with resonance control).

Koala FX has a filter FX that is just a straight up HP/LP. No resonance control though.

• @wim said:

@wahnfrieden said:
    @stormbeats thanks but this is useful only for a DJ mixer style 3 band EQ rather than a single hi/lo filter knob (optionally with resonance control).

Koala FX has a filter FX that is just a straight up HP/LP. No resonance control though.

Thanks! Looks like it should be mappable to one knob such that 12 o’clock doesn’t color the sound, are you able to confirm?

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

It should be easy enough to create in NuRack and/or Drambo too, I think.

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@wahnfrieden said:

@wim said:

@wahnfrieden said:

Thanks! Looks like it should be mappable to one knob such that 12 o’clock doesn’t color the sound, are you able to confirm?

Confirmed.

It feels to me like there's some resonance built into that filter though.

• It’ll do to have a bit of resonant character as long as it’s neutral at 12 o’clock which seems to be the case from youtube. Thanks much!

• 👍🏼

• edited May 2021

Update: Koala FX is unusable, the low pass filter does not go nearly as far as standard DJ mixer filter FX and is more suited for the general feeling of being low passed, not much precision or isolation.

Turnado works except that it is completely unusable because it treats the 0 point as “off” - the filter bypasses if you twist from the center point fully to the left to low pass.

Still haven’t found a usable solution. :(

• I quite like the JAX one...

• That offers both low and high pass in one knob?

Looks like it might be time for me to buy Drambo for this one thing: https://patchstorage.com/pioneer-djm-style-1-knob-filter/

• This one

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/jaf-deejey-full-range-filter/id1533092436

Though it’s JAF not JAX oops 😁

Wouldn’t argue against anyone buying the drambo though...