Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StepBud AUv3 MIDI Sequencer - Available

Comments

• @cem_olcay do you think you might add step note/chord entry with an auto advance feature in the future? This could speed up the entry of note sequences. Very fun app as is.

• Also noticed that if I manually enter multiple notes on a step they will not get transposed when using the master slider!?

How ever if I use the chord mode on the step they get transposed!?

• @Samu said:
    Also noticed that if I manually enter multiple notes on a step they will not get transposed when using the master slider!?

How ever if I use the chord mode on the step they get transposed!?

Yes, the custom notes, which appears as white stripped faders, are not transposable since their scale and key is unknown. If you want to add transposable chord or note though, you can use the quick pick menu to select a chord or a note. Then, you are good to go :smile:

• @cem_olcay
    StepBud doesn't work in Beatmaker 3. May want to remove that from your App Store description. The first step plays, but it hangs, and no steps play beyond that.

StepBud's great in AB3 and AUM, but was looking forward to a step-sequencing alternative to BM3's piano roll.

ScaleBud works great in BM3, so not sure what happened with StepBud.

• @ocelot said:
    @cem_olcay
    StepBud doesn't work in Beatmaker 3. May want to remove that from your App Store description. The first step plays, but it hangs, and no steps play beyond that.

StepBud's great in AB3 and AUM, but was looking forward to a step-sequencing alternative to BM3's piano roll.

I think it's not working in BM3 if you are looping. That's because BM3 doesn't send the sample position of the transport to the audio unit plugins, so StepBud doesn't calculate the beats. I think it will be solved with a future BM3 update. I'm afraid, that's also the same for Cubasis 2 at the moment.

• @cem_olcay said:

Yes, the custom notes, which appears as white stripped faders, are not transposable since their scale and key is unknown. If you want to add transposable chord or note though, you can use the quick pick menu to select a chord or a note. Then, you are good to go :smile:

Lol, I really suck at music-theory and 'chord names' and usually just create 'chords' based on transpose values from the root note mostly by trial'n'error, then I memorise the 'combinations' that sound good to me based on these (root, +5, +9, +12 etc. etc.). This is 'tracker damage deluxe' where the arpeggio command was used to do face-chords :)

• edited April 2019

@cem_olcay said:

@ocelot said:
    @cem_olcay

I think it's not working in BM3 if you are looping. That's because BM3 doesn't send the sample position of the transport to the audio unit plugins, so StepBud doesn't calculate the beats. I think it will be solved with a future BM3 update. I'm afraid, that's also the same for Cubasis 2 at the moment.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the quick response.

StepBud is a lot easier to use than Sugar Bytes Thesys, which does work well as a MIDI AU FX in BM3, but for StepBud, I'll stick with AB3/AUM for now. Thanks again.

• @Samu said:

@cem_olcay said:

Lol, I really suck at music-theory and 'chord names' and usually just create 'chords' based on transpose values from the root note mostly by trial'n'error, then I memorise the 'combinations' that sound good to me based on these (root, +5, +9, +12 etc. etc.). This is 'tracker damage deluxe' where the arpeggio command was used to do face-chords :)

Haha, don't worry, I got you covered, try ScaleBud 👍
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scalebud-auv3-midi-keyboard/id1409125865?mt=8

You can also route the ScaleBud to the StepBud and enter notes/chords from ScaleBud to the step editor of the StepBud :)

• @cem_olcay said:

Haha, don't worry, I got you covered, try ScaleBud 👍
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scalebud-auv3-midi-keyboard/id1409125865?mt=8

You can also route the ScaleBud to the StepBud and enter notes/chords from ScaleBud to the step editor of the StepBud :)

I've already got that one too but my memories haunt me...

I do have a few additional apps that 'aid' me as well. StepPolyApr Unit and QuantiChord...
    (StepPolyArp Unit already does easy ratcheting and probability per note among other things including transpose based on incoming midi-note). I love QuantiChord for massive one-finger chords :D

But no worries I find use-cases for most of the AUv3's I've got...

• Here's another nice demo video.

• @cem_olcay Just wondering if there's even a remote possibility to get more 'tracks' for Custom Midi CC's?

This way StepBud could be used as a 'CC Sequencer' to control instrument parameters?

The idea popped up when I was playing with Rozeta LFO to control Viking from Blamsoft and thought, hmm there's no dedicated AUv3 step-sequencer for Midi CC's but StepBud already has a good UI for this!

I think 4 custom CC's would be enough for starters.
    It should also be possible to disable the 'note triggering' while still sending out the CC on the step.

If it sounds interesting feel free to add it to a future update ;)

• I agree that would be a cool addition, but I think Thesys does actually do this @Samu. Which of course may be overkill...

• @Samu said:
    @cem_olcay Just wondering if there's even a remote possibility to get more 'tracks' for Custom Midi CC's?

This way StepBud could be used as a 'CC Sequencer' to control instrument parameters?

The idea popped up when I was playing with Rozeta LFO to control Viking from Blamsoft and thought, hmm there's no dedicated AUv3 step-sequencer for Midi CC's but StepBud already has a good UI for this!

I think 4 custom CC's would be enough for starters.
    It should also be possible to disable the 'note triggering' while still sending out the CC on the step.

If it sounds interesting feel free to add it to a future update ;)

Yeah, little known fact, you can disable the "note triggering" if you go to step editor and unselect the currently selected notes..
    Although, I need more information about MIDI CC sending, because it does not make any sense to me right now.
    Actually, modulation, pitch bend, portamento etc already MIDI CC parameters and they kinda dependent on a MIDI note.
    Do you want a screen where you can enter each 3 MIDI data bytes (8-bit integers between 0-127) of a MIDI message and send that one for that step?

• @cem_olcay said:

Yeah, little known fact, you can disable the "note triggering" if you go to step editor and unselect the currently selected notes..

Good to know :)

Although, I need more information about MIDI CC sending, because it does not make any sense to me right now.

Think of this as controlling/setting for example Filter Cutoff, Resonance, FX Send etc. on a 'per note' basis.
    In AUM the CC's can then be routed to any visible parameter of the target AUv3 synth.

Actually, modulation, pitch bend, portamento etc already MIDI CC parameters and they kinda dependent on a MIDI note.

Yes, Modulation Wheel is clearly CC(CC#1) and it can be used even when not triggering a note to control the sound that is already playing :)

Do you want a screen where you can enter each 3 MIDI data bytes (8-bit integers between 0-127) of a MIDI message and send that one for that step?

It would be enough to pick a CC# for the track and use the sliders to sequence values (0-127) for it .
    (So in the same place where you have note, rate, modulation, pitchbend, it could just be CC#123).

For example classic use case would be to create trance-gate effects using either Expression (CC11) or master volume(CC7). Or control the panning of the notes (CC10).

Another would be to use CC64 to control the sustain pedal to create some nice effects.
    With CC support in place the user is not 'limited' when creativity strikes...

Then again I can always wait until Atom get's full CC support ;)

• @tja said:
    It reminds me of MidiSequencer and Quantum :)

steps are steps after all!

• @midiSequencer said:

@tja said:
    It reminds me of MidiSequencer and Quantum :)

steps are steps after all!

Hell yeah 🍻

• @Samu said:

@cem_olcay said:

It would be enough to pick a CC# for the track and use the sliders to sequence values (0-127) for it .
    (So in the same place where you have note, rate, modulation, pitchbend, it could just be CC#123).

For example classic use case would be to create trance-gate effects using either Expression (CC11) or master volume(CC7). Or control the panning of the notes (CC10).

Another would be to use CC64 to control the sustain pedal to create some nice effects.

This method might be easier for users to understand. If a smoothing option were easy to add, that would be cool too.

Also, is anyone having issues triggering the Humbletune AU synths (elsa and tardigrain) from StepBud? I can see the synths are receiving notes (playheads are moving), but no sound is output. Out of all of my AU synths, these 2 don't seem to work with StepBud? Any ideas?

• @ocelot said:

@Samu said:

@cem_olcay said:

This method might be easier for users to understand. If a smoothing option were easy to add, that would be cool too.

Also, is anyone having issues triggering the Humbletune AU synths (elsa and tardigrain) from StepBud? I can see the synths are receiving notes (playheads are moving), but no sound is output. Out of all of my AU synths, these 2 don't seem to work with StepBud? Any ideas?

I can trigger Tardigrain with StepBud in AUM. Which versions are you using those apps?

• BTW -- @ocelot I was going to do a debug but I ended up making a song, so thanks, I guess 😅

• :smiley: @cem_olcay That's what your awesome apps are for!

Ok, figured it out. StepBud sends the 'Modulation' on MIDI CC#1 (like the mod wheel on keyboards). Both elsa and tardigrain are set to modulate 'Gain' with CC#1, so the solution is to set StepBud's 'Modulation' faders above zero. tardigrain has the option to disable incoming MIDI CCs, but elsa doesn't.

• @ocelot said:
    :smiley: @cem_olcay That's what your awesome apps are for!

Ok, figured it out. StepBud sends the 'Modulation' on MIDI CC#1 (like the mod wheel on keyboards). Both elsa and tardigrain are set to modulate 'Gain' with CC#1, so the solution is to set StepBud's 'Modulation' faders above zero. tardigrain has the option to disable incoming MIDI CCs, but elsa doesn't.

Ohh, that's a good hunt, didn't know that. Still jamming with StepBud+Tardigrain though, it's so nice, strongly recommended!

• Oh God, when Fugue Machine goes in to the party, it's only getting better :D

• tardigrain and elsa are 2 of my favorites. I think Samu and frond made me aware of the superpowers of elsa (sample playback divisions, arp, etc.).

So ScaleBud and StepBud are your 2 AU Midi apps? Any plans on making any of your other 'Bud apps AU? I like your clean no-nonsense UIs. I also didn't know for months that ScaleBud is also a powerful scale quantizer, in addition to it's customizable AU Midi keyboard with scales and chords.

• how does this compare to step poly arp? does it do anything better? special? i’m on the fence still with this one. it looks cool, but i’m now quite sure

• @ocelot said:

@cem_olcay said:

@ocelot said:
    @cem_olcay

StepBud is a lot easier to use than Sugar Bytes Thesys, which does work well as a MIDI AU FX in BM3, but for StepBud, I'll stick with AB3/AUM for now. Thanks again.

@ocelot : Should I go with Step bud then as opposed to atheists? Any advantages to Thesys?

• @eross said:
    how does this compare to step poly arp? does it do anything better? special? i’m on the fence still with this one. it looks cool, but i’m now quite sure

Very different interface IMO. I like Stepbud because the interface is ready to go right out of the box. I feel like to get SPA to do what I want, I need to invest in setting it up so that the rows are musically useful intervals. I know it's easy to do, but it's just not something I've ever wanted to invest in. Too bad because the rest of SPA is brilliant IMO.

• @Telstar5 said:

@ocelot said:

@cem_olcay said:

@ocelot said:
    @cem_olcay

@ocelot : Should I go with Step bud then as opposed to atheists? Any advantages to Thesys?

If you don't use AUM/Audiobus 3/apeMatrix, but only use BM3, then StepBud, Autony, Riffer, StepPolyArp Unit, etc. won't work in BM3. Thesys does work in BM3, and unlike the other Sugar Bytes apps, it's UI loads quickly and it consumes very little CPU.

I plan on using StepBud more than Thesys (in apeMatrix) since it's simpler and easier to use, but mostly because I wouldn't recommend Thesys on anything but the Pro 12.9" since it's UI is tiny! I use Thesys a lot on my Mini 2 and it's very frustrating, but very powerful.

Several advantages of Thesys:

• Live and Step Record incoming MIDI
    • Lanes: Pitch, Velocity, Gate Time, plus Performance and 8x Modulation lanes for MIDI CCs
    • Each lane can run Forward, Backward, Random, or Each 2nd, 3rd, or 4th
    • Each lane can have individual step lengths, for polyrhythms
    • Randomize individual lanes or everything, with min+max thresholds
    • Editing: copy+paste lanes
    • Editing: nudge all steps up/down/left/right
    • Editing: Modes: Fine, Linear, All (required because it's tiny!)
    • Pattern-chain sequencer
    • Preset saving and recalling (iCloud Drive)
    • Export MIDI (iCloud Drive)
    • Change Pattern via MIDI
    • Transpose Pattern via MIDI
    • Apply Action FX via MIDI (Looper, Slow Down, Retrigger, Mute, etc.)
    • MIDI Learn almost everything
    • AUv3 has many AU parameters exposed for DAWs that can record and edit AU parameters
    • Standalone: Thesys can host AU synths and has Ableton LINK

When I say "lanes", I'm referring to the pitch lane, velocity lane, gate time lane, etc. They can mostly be de-coupled from one another, for evolving patterns.

With all that said, StepBud is much quicker, simpler, easier to see. Hopefully it gets a CC lane.

• @ocelot said:
    Ok, figured it out.

Took me a bit to figure that out as well :smile:

Is that an issue with StepBud @cem_olcay ?

Another approach is to change cc assignments In e-l-s-a, etc. I changed my gain cc to 100 ( instead of 1 ), then turned the volume up.

I assumed that StepBud allowed the sequencing of cc’s...not sure how to accomplish. Ocelot’s suggestion of midi cc value smoothing (interpolation) would be brilliant cem_olcay.

• @ocelot : Thanks SO much! I guess the answer to to become familiar w both. Thesys is more complicated but it’s got too many goodies to discard completely! And I do have a 12.9