Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Scythe Synthesizer by Bitmask Studio Ltd. Is free right now

Comments

• Interesting.
    It's got some IAP, but getting all of them only adds up to $7 or so.

Wavetable Creator
    Control your sound - create & edit wavetables
    $1.99

Filter Delay
    Enhance the depth of the oscillators
    $1.99

Venom
    30 venomous wavetables
    $0.99

Ambient Pack
    32 Lush textures for ambience
    $0.99

Dark Pack
    31 Dark drones, atmospheres and pads
    $0.99

• It is a very cool synth -- the presets are interesting -- but don't do the synth justice. It can do a lot more than the cool, glitchy sounds highlighted by the presets.

• Hope this will ever become an AU<3 plug

• Caution, the iPad and iPhone iAPs are not the same!!! You can and you will pay twice for one pack if you want it on the go and on the iPad

• Thanks for the heads-up, haven’t got this one.

• Is the IAP on sale as well?

• I've never been able to make this guy sound good 🤣 that's just me tho..
    Anyone wanna share some presets you've made

• If you want to know what it would sound like if outer space had an atmosphere this is it.
    Airy, scratchy, hiss-y, vast expanses of sounds coming from many directions at once.

I think the value of the images cycling through a stack of waves is worth watching... like a built-in 3D animation showing how the sound is made in realtime.

I bought all the IAP's out of respect for a single developer's effort to craft a solid synth in the mold of the legendary Waldorf products for a few dollars. Someone worth supporting so we can get more well crafted Apps at a fair price. Free is more than fair to check it out and hopefully you'll try one of the IAP's:

Wavetable Creator $1.99
    Filter Delay $1.99
    Tones Pack Free
    Ambient Pack $0.99
    Dark Pack $0.99
    Bass Pack $0.99
    Alien Pack $0.99
    Signal Lab Pack $0.99
    Venom $0.99

The Creator is good for sound design. Filter/Delay puts it in the realm most synths which embed a reverb and use it on the presets. Without it I recommend you use one with Scythe Synth in AUM/AB3 or your DAW to get the correct density to the "air".

• Here is a snippet of a pad created with Scythe with wavetables created by importing samples of my son singing from AudioShare. Unfortunately, screen capture is mono, so you lose the nice stereo field I created. And YouTubes lossy codec didn’t help the sound.

Anyway, Scythe can create nice pads and drones. I don’t see a way to share presets from it.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Here is a snippet of a pad created with Scythe with wavetables created by importing samples of my son singing from AudioShare.

Nice example of sound design. I'm sure many might think I have Synths that sound like that
    but it's easy to imitate 20-30 different Apps using Wave files as the starting point.

I should record the cat and the parrot since the kids have moved on. The parrot can sing but never when we ask. He does a mean "Twinkle, Twinkle" and "I Left My Heart in San Francisco". These tunes came pre-installed when we got him 20 years ago and we've heard them about 100 times over the years. Usually when we start a vacuum cleaner.

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Here is a snippet of a pad created with Scythe with wavetables created by importing samples of my son singing from AudioShare.

Nice example of sound design. I'm sure many might think I have Synths that sound like that
    but it's easy to imitate 20-30 different Apps using Wave files as the starting point.

I should record the cat and the parrot since the kids have moved on. The parrot can sing but never when we ask. He does a mean "Twinkle, Twinkle" and "I Left My Heart in San Francisco". These tunes came pre-installed when we got him 20 years ago and we've heard them about 100 times over the years. Usually when we start a vacuum cleaner.

🦜 🎶😂

• Nice - thnx for the tip off.

Quite ‘ruff’ sounding at first glance & that’s no bad thing for me.
    Pleasingly glitchy sound & fun to play with fiddling on the LFO’s, giving some interesting results.
    Will doubtless be utilising this one.

• @Paul16 said:
    Nice - thnx for the tip off.

True. Some synths won't let you strip off all FX.

Without reverb many synths would sound more like this: loaded with digital artifacts.

Making the Delay an IAP probably cost the developer a lot of refunds. It's capable of sounding really amazing with the delay added. Without delay the audio engine seems flawed compared to the "first experience" with most Synths which have reverb on most presets.

Now using Scythe Synth and any of the 20 odd reverbs I own also quickly solves the 'ruff' issue and is probably more useful than the Delay IAP.

I learned this lesson when I bought Klevgrand Tines and thought "What a terrible E-Piano". Then I used the FX that make Neo Soul work so well. In a mix Tines with FX is a great idea.

That's why I love AUM... add, bypass, re-order FX processing fast to dial in a sound for any App I own.

• Here is a another track recorded with the same setup as used in the video but it is in stereo.

• Good stuff id23

• edited April 2019

@McD said:

@Paul16 said:
    Nice - thnx for the tip off.

True. Some synths won't let you strip off all FX.

Without reverb many synths would sound more like this: loaded with digital artifacts.

Making the Delay an IAP probably cost the developer a lot of refunds. It's capable of sounding really amazing with the delay added. Without delay the audio engine seems flawed compared to the "first experience" with most Synths which have reverb on most presets.

Now using Scythe Synth and any of the 20 odd reverbs I own also quickly solves the 'ruff' issue and is probably more useful than the Delay IAP.

I learned this lesson when I bought Klevgrand Tines and thought "What a terrible E-Piano". Then I used the FX that make Neo Soul work so well. In a mix Tines with FX is a great idea.

That's why I love AUM... add, bypass, re-order FX processing fast to dial in a sound for any App I own.

Yup, it’s quite lovely to my ear, not a groundbreaker as such, but something about it has just instantly clicked when compared to some.

Currently being auto driven by Stravinski in Aum, then piped thru ‘Amazing Noises’ Reverb for endlessly rolling ambience. Just the odd tweak to the wavetable’s index dial does wonders.

Yes, Aum was the app which pretty well fully opened up the endless potential for all others.

Already had far too much fun from it ‘for free’, so will definitely hat tip & purchase some extras.

• Neat graphics but the patches sound stunningly similar

• Here’s a track where the notes were generated from Fugue Machine and Cality. All of the sound is from Scythe Synth.

• @audiobussy said:
    Neat graphics but the patches sound stunningly similar

Do you mean patches you can make all sound the same or the presets? I agree that the presets are pretty same, but I think if one dives in (especially if you create some new wavetables by importing from AudioShare), it is capable of some really cool unique sounds. Mostly I have used it for pads and drones.

And of the IAPs, the Filter Delay is key.

I always feed the output through some sort of reverb or filter.

It isn't the synth that I use the most, but I find it great for adding some unique textures.

• Fair enough :-) And yes, I meant the presets

@espiegel123 said:

@audiobussy said:

Do you mean patches you can make all sound the same or the presets? I agree that the presets are pretty same, but I think if one dives in (especially if you create some new wavetables by importing from AudioShare), it is capable of some really cool unique sounds. Mostly I have used it for pads and drones.

And of the IAPs, the Filter Delay is key.

I always feed the output through some sort of reverb or filter.

It isn't the synth that I use the most, but I find it great for adding some unique textures.

• McDMcD
    edited April 2019

It's free to encourage you to invest in IAP's:

Wavetable Creator $1.99
    Filter Delay $1.99
    Tones Pack Free
    Ambient Pack $0.99
    Dark Pack $0.99
    Bass Pack $0.99
    Alien Pack $0.99
    Signal Lab Pack $0.99
    Venom $0.99

The WaveTable Creator is important to design new sounds. The 2nd makes it sound better faster: more spacey and less harsh but AUM, AB3 or any DAW will let you add Reverbs.

The other 9 are like adding more presets. The descriptive names should help you decide.
    Drop a few bucks in there tip jar for the artist and insure Apple survives too!

All told it's a $10 WaveTable Synth.

• Some of them are extra wavetables. Useful to have.

• McDMcD
    edited April 2019

@cian said:
    Some of them are extra wavetables. Useful to have.

There's a whole side-thread going on asking about more Synth's that import wavetables
    and lessons about what WaveTables are and how pioneered them and what
    "single-cycle" implies and why 128, 256, 512, 1024... are involved.

This is a really good deal even for $10. It's like S-nV-x with a better GUI. Pure power.
    (Sets clock for someone to explain how SV and SS are not anything alike. It's an analogy.)

• @InfoCheck said:
    Here’s a track where the notes were generated from Fugue Machine and Cality. All of the sound is from Scythe Synth.

Nice. Tx for posting.

• @audiobussy said:

Just curious, does track that I posted above (Myangar in the Mist) sound similar to what you hear in the Scythe built-in patches?

• @McD : I am puzzled by the comparison to SunVox. SunVox is a vastly different (and more comprehensive by orders of magnitude) beast.

In what way do you see them comparable?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @McD : I am puzzled by the comparison to SunVox. SunVox is a vastly different (and more comprehensive by orders of magnitude) beast.

Cheap. Powerful. Well suited for techies. Hand-made. Extending a technology from the
    past (Wavetables, Trackers). "It's an analogy." Sometimes people take analogies literally and say "What?"

The orders of magnitude feedback is fair. Maybe you have a better comparison to share.
    For my money Scythe sounds a lot better than SV. (Poking the bear again).

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @McD : I am puzzled by the comparison to SunVox. SunVox is a vastly different (and more comprehensive by orders of magnitude) beast.

Cheap. Powerful. Well suited for techies. Hand-made. Extending a technology from the
    past (Wavetables, Trackers). "It's an analogy." Sometimes people take analogies literally and say "What?"

The orders of magnitude feedback is fair. Maybe you have a better comparison to share.
    For my money Scythe sounds a lot better than SV. (Poking the bear again).

I guess I don't see the analogy. They are such different beasts.

The underlying synthesis methods are very different. Sunvox is basically a modular synth and audio dsp workstation with tons of modules that you can use to construct custom synths and audio processing effects. It doesn't use composite wavetables (which are what most people mean when talking about wavetables) though people have put together patches that simulate them.

SunVox has rich subtractive features of which Scythe has none. There are very few similarities, imo.

I point this out so that someone doesn't read this and get SunVox thinking they'll get a straightforward wavetable synth. Or get Scythe thinking that it is like SunVox.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I point this out so that someone doesn't read this and get SunVox thinking they'll get a straightforward wavetable synth. Or get Scythe thinking that it is like SunVox.

Good thinking. On another thread (one of yours?) it's been determined that there are very few WaveTable Synths. But there are settings in Granular Synths that can come close, right?
    Buy SpaceCraft Granular, casual readers!

SunVox is the ultimate IOS puzzle box. Like an "Escape Room" for IOS Music. (Another attempt and analogy... I'll wait).

SunVox is more like a software-based Gravis Ultra Sound (the GUS) card.