Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Turnado vs OP-Z punch-in effects

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• @EyeOhEss said:
    I don’t really like the sound in 99% of the videos I’ve seen or how small and fiddly it is.

If this is how you feel I highly doubt getting hands on with it will change your mind, unless you're planning on sequencing either other apps or hardware with it (but if you're sequencing apps there's much less expensive options for sure).

It’s hard to tell though as I haven’t used either Turnado or OP-Z. Is it easy enough to ‘sequence’ Turnado, in similar fashion to sequencing the Punch-in fx on the Z?

You don't sequence Turnado :( if Effectrix was AUv3 it would be awesome, you do sequence that. However, if you'd using a host that can do AUv3 fx automation then you could automate the x/y pad / knob changes and you'd get the same effect. It would just be a lot more work :( I've had a play with doing this in Cubasis but the juice isn't worth the squeeze (to me) - you could always fire up Effectrix as an insert IAA and then accomplish the same thing (but only one instance at a time, boo).

That's my two pence. That said, I love Turnado. I think it's awesome. I've been wrapping my head around AUM and recording to bar length in there and it's my go to for getting weird, for now.

• edited April 2019

You don't sequence Turnado

But you COULD sequence Turnado! It just doesn't have a built in sequencer, but everything is MIDI-learnable. There must be a whole variety of potential AU sequencing candidates available by now! (my first instinct for this combo would actually be Rozeta XOX, with maybe a side order of Perforator?).

• As others mentioned, Turnado is awesome if you couple it with recording MIDI automation. You just need to load Turnado MIDI AU and triple tap on knob to MIDI learn, then send a value to it. A little cumbersome, but once you do it for one preset, you can always reuse it just by editing the original preset.

• @OscarSouth said:

You don't sequence Turnado

But you COULD sequence Turnado! It just doesn't have a built in sequencer, but everything is MIDI-learnable. There must be a whole variety of potential AU sequencing candidates available by now! (my first instinct for this combo would actually be Rozeta XOX, with maybe a side order of Perforator?).

Totally! I have really been enjoying sequencing Turnado in NS2. In NS2 I can send keys/pressure to the individual dials (so no smooth transitions) but even that goes a long way and opens up a different kind of use that is not the same as with CCs.

• @AudioGus Damn I didn't even think about this lol... you're right. I mean, I realllly hope AUv3 FX automation just coming soon cause it'll be a better experience overall, but you're totally right. And so is @OscarSouth - great point!

• I sold my opz. It was pretty fun but not needed and when reopening an aum setting i would have to reconnect it to each track etc. Just added more setup. And more bulk.

• As much as I'd love to get one, I really don't know how it would fit into the larger context of my workflow, especially since I'm finding I really enjoy the results I get with stuff like Rozeta and Fugue Machine in Aum... at a considerable fraction of the cost :open_mouth:

• edited April 2019

The sugarbytes FX are a lot of fun paired with a midi controller, having buttons for punching the effects in and out and knobs to twist whilst you punch.

Do you have effectrix? That’s the one that blew my mind. I really like it paired with a midi controller, and even without using the sequencer, just using it as multi-effects. One of the cool things about using it for punch in effects, is that you can have an attack and release on the effect bypass, so you can fade the effects in and out for soft transitions if you want something that doesn’t sound choppy.

• The sequencer is the OP-Z’s “secret” weapon. It’s just amazing. I never get lost in an iPad app for hours at a time, but the OP-Z sucks you in. The screen-free interface has a lot to do with this. Once you learn it, you compose by listening, not by looking.

The interface is also super intuitive. I’d say it’s one of the best-designed computer interfaces I’ve used in a very long time.

Sound-wise, if you don’t like what’s there, you can load your own samples. But there’s a lot of non-bloopy stuff in the device already.

Not trying to sell you on it. Actually, yes I am. I love it. It’s such a cool way to start a groove. I’m a guitar player, who isn’t any good at keyboard playing. The OP-Z is a fantastic way to escape the guitar as a composition tool. It’s taken my music in new directions.

Faults: MIDI can be tricky, but I haven’t really dug into it yet. Other people are using it to sequence modular stuff, which sounds wild. If you do get one, pair it with a Keystep, for midi and CV hookups.

• The only problem I have with op-z is that you can only edit patterns with one bar of length. You can record longer patterns but not edit.

• You can edit them, but not at the same resolution.

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.