Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help with organising imported garage band audio files

Hi anyone know a way of importing audio files to garage band iOS so that they can be categorised in the Apple loops filtered tags section, instead of just staying in the imported files section? When you have imported many files they end up being very messy in the files browser with no way to organise them?

Comments

• Not sure if possible :\ but usually what I do is import the stuff I need, use it in the track and then once you put the loops down into the sequencer you can actually clear out the imported loops - your sounds will be packed in with the project file. Keeps things neat but might not jive with your workflow?

• @icsleepers said:
    Not sure if possible :\ but usually what I do is import the stuff I need, use it in the track and then once you put the loops down into the sequencer you can actually clear out the imported loops - your sounds will be packed in with the project file. Keeps things neat but might not jive with your workflow?

That’s an interesting method. I’ll give it a go. Though the benefit of having the imported Apple loop files as part of the tagged browser is that it saves you from having to locate stuff through long lists, as you can go straight to the drums section, if you want drums etc. Your method means you would have to almost preselect all the loops you want to use outside of GarageBand first and then import what you want to use. Which means you’re not auditioning the samples over playback of your track to see what samples fit.

Have also seen that you have to import each sample individually one by one, so if you have a whole folder of samples it’s time consuming to bring them in. Unless I’m seeing this wrong?

• Nope you're right, they're one by one. You can tag imported stuff though, right? I could see the value there if you could but I don't recall seeing options for that.

It's a pain. Especially since you can't really audition what's happening in GB against what's happening in another app like Launchpad, Blocs, any other link enabled app etc.

• @icsleepers yes I don’t see any options for tagging imported files. Garage band is a power house but this part of it is a massive missing piece in terms of more easily opening it up to more creative possibilities. It’s a shame

• I have just seen you can import multiple files after all via iTunes file share. That’s something I guess.

• Ah! That makes sense. I never hook up my devices to the computer though lol :( but that is a good thing at least

• edited April 2019

What I do is naming files using project name and using search in loops folder, that’s efficient (Blocswave or Gadget for example also use project name for files export naming):

You have to drag and drop each file to arranger one by one, but at least you can save some time by using Files app and copy/paste audio files (from AudioShare for example) to your device local storage, GarageBand, GarageBand file transfer folder, copied files will be directly visible in app loops folder, no need to import them one by one:

• @Janosax thanks that’s really good and useful to know about the file transfer.
    Your naming convention is good too. The only thing about my work flow is is that I wanted to import 2gbs worth of my own personal sample library folder and add it to gargaebands internal apple loops library. This folder contains all my favourite samples but not for one specific project, but to be used across many projects. So I don’t think your naming convention idea would work in my case ?

• edited April 2019

@Treesarenice said:
    @Janosax thanks that’s really good and useful to know about the file transfer.
    Your naming convention is good too. The only thing about my work flow is is that I wanted to import 2gbs worth of my own personal sample library folder and add it to gargaebands internal apple loops library. This folder contains all my favourite samples but not for one specific project, but to be used across many projects. So I don’t think your naming convention idea would work in my case ?

Yeah in that case that will be much less easy, and renaming all those files could take some time. Perhaps you could add to each file two tag in the name, for example instrument and genre. With mouse and keyboard and copy/paste of tags that could be manageable. Then search your files in GarageBand with those tags.

• @Janosax that’s really not a bad idea. I may just do that. Thanks