Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fave Travel midi keyboard / controller...

On tour now w/ Lord Huron, doing lights and vid with lots of downtime... Missing having midi control, looking at the Launchkey mini-25 and the Korg Nano Key studio... Thoughts? Others? Cheers.

Comments

• QuNexus for ultra light. Seaboard for most kraziness. Morph for slim profile.

• edited April 2019

@johnfromberkeley said:
    QuNexus for ultra light. Seaboard for most kraziness. Morph for slim profile.

Noice... will check them all out as well. Any owners of the 5 controllers wanna chime in on why you love / despise / etc them?

Looking at the Seaboard Block... I am VERY tempted! I keep reading y'all posting about it, its about 3x what I wanted to pay, but I s'pose its worth a day of work to afford?

• Sensel Morph.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Sensel Morph.

Yeah, I'm liking the possibilities with this, and a bit cheaper... Too bad the overlays are $35 each! Seems like it could come with a couple basic ones at least.

• Ps, of yours Nanostudio is most portable, but has typewriter-like keys. I love the Launchkey mini (holy crap, I have all five), but when you put it in a proper protective case it’s pretty bulky. But it does fit in a backpack with room to spare for iPad, cables battery. Finally consider Xkey. These last two have the best keyboard feel.

• edited April 2019

@scottsunn said:
    Looking at the Seaboard Block... I am VERY tempted! I keep reading y'all posting about it, its about 3x what I wanted to pay, but I s'pose its worth a day of work to afford?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it for all the possibilities of MPE. But if you want to tickle the ivories, you’ve got a little bit of a learning curve.

• Not sure if you wanted to go this route but I love my microkey air 49. Smaller keys but doable. Footprint is much smaller than I thought.

• I like to see Vendor and Pricing as a start... then drill in on amazon reviews for gotchas.
    All pricing is from Amazon (our member in Turkey should probably add 33-50% assuming availability).

Roli Seaboard - $300
    Sensel Morph (Air/USB) - $250 slim, overlays $35 each
    CME Xkey Air 25 - $210 good keyboard feel
    CME Xkey 37 USB - $200
    Keith McMillen QuNexus - $180 ultra light
    Arturia KeyStep - $120
    Launchkey mini-25 - $100 good keyboard feel, bulky with case ($20)

Korg Nano Key studio - $130 most portable, typewriter style keys
    Korg Microkey Air 49 - $120 smaller keys, smaller foot print with 49 keys
    Korg NanoKey2 - $55

Akai Professional MPK Mini MKII - $100
    Akai Professional LPK25 - $55

• my very favorite has been the QuNexus for some years.

• I'm looking at the Arturia Minilab mk2 now, the knobs and pads are a bonus over the Keystep, although the cv and midi ports are cool on the KS. 99 bux at Guitar Center in Richmond is pretty tempting. I'll keep mulling it over, thnx for the replies.

• I have hauled the Nanostudio about all over the place happily. And used it.

• Keystep. Powered by iPad is a big +.

• I've had good experiences with M-Audio for the money I've spent. I had a USB IK Multimedia Keyboard and it's been a problem but due to the keyboard just being too small for me. So, some might not care. It was not cheap.

M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32 under $100. Don't own one I just have an aging Oxygen that
    I use with Yahama 5-pin MIDI-Bluetooth adapters. Cheap but capable.

I'd probably start there for my $'s and work my way up the options if disappointed.

• edited April 2019

the drumpads on the axiom air mini 32 are terrible. the keys are okish, handy to have more than 25 keys as per the usual for those mini things.

meanwhile the pads on the nanokey studio are pretty good, but the keys take some getting used to. the xy pad and lotsa knobs and cordless and direct setup with gadget are pretty cool, since getting that one the axiom is gathering dust on a shelf.

• @McD said:
    I've had good experiences with M-Audio for the money I've spent. I had a USB IK Multimedia Keyboard and it's been a problem but due to the keyboard just being too small for me. So, some might not care. It was not cheap.

M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32 under $100. Don't own one I just have an aging Oxygen that
    I use with Yahama 5-pin MIDI-Bluetooth adapters. Cheap but capable.

I'd probably start there for my $'s and work my way up the options if disappointed.

This is what my 10-yr old uses. Can confirm it does one thing well. Great, simple mini keyboard.