Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB beta preset merging

This discussion was created from comments split from: AUM Update.

Comments

• Presets folders, audio busses and audio recording for AB pleaaaase :)

Using sort by name and that kind of naming convention helps, waiting for folders:

• @Michael
    Fantastic news. So pretty soon we'll be able to save and recall device chains on a per lane/channel/matrix basis in AudioBus, AUM and apeMatrix.

And in many ways that beats device chain saving in an iOS DAW, as each of AB, AUM and aM excel in different areas so the device chains can be bespoke to the strengths of each.

I dare not ask for an eta. :)

• Bloody hell just realised what the add function does, preset combos here we come great stuff. Better watch don’t blow up the CPU !

• Yeah add button is excellent!!

• @Janosax said:
    Yeah add button is excellent!!

What does it do? there's no obvious context. "There are no stupid questions." (Just stupid
    statements like this one.)

• edited April 2019

@McD Imagine you have something playing currently in Audiobus, and you want to add a saved preset for example battery, bass, midi FXS templates, a whole song preset or even Ruismaker metronome, tap on preset add button will merge that saved preset with current one. Basically this allows to merge presets B)

• If you have any other suggestions for more clear button titles, I’d love to hear it! I struggled to find something short enough to fit. "Insert" is a little wide. "Merge" maybe?

• @Janosax said:
    Presets folders, audio busses and audio recording for AB pleaaaase :)

... And yup, this is next

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

“Add” is perfect. “Merge” implies that the preset is somehow overlaid on the other. It’s not, it’s appended.

Until there are folders, I think I’ll name my component tracks with some unique starting character. I make heavy use of the search box rather than scrolling through lists. I’ll probably continue with that regardless of there are folders because it’s easier to type a couple of characters of a name than remembering where I put things and diving through sub folders (personal quirk - not for everyone).

• edited April 2019

Folders are mostly interesting for templates, presets variations, but where they’re truly needed IMO is for preset switching via midi using load previous/next preset.

I personally don’t see a big difference between merge and add, MidiFire use merge terminology and do the exact same thing as AB add button, but I could be wrong too. Merge is more evocative of what the feature does IMO.

@Michael said:

@Janosax said:
    Presets folders, audio busses and audio recording for AB pleaaaase :)

... And yup, this is next

Cool!!

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

The ambiguity I see with “Merge” is, let’s say I have presets with the same setup, but with different settings. Merge could be interpreted to mean that the new settings would be applied to the existing lanes.

From a pure accuracy of language perspective Add is more accurate. For instance, when entering a highway with one lane, the incoming traffic must merge into the existing lane. If that on-ramp actually creates a new lane, that is adding something to the highway and there is no merging required to enter the roadway.

There is no ambiguity at all with “Add”, but could be (to me) with “Merge”.

It’s not important to me. Just explaining my logic.

• Add didn't mean anything to me. Merge is closer. Very useful btw!

• Okay, good to know. Add: 1 vote, Merge: 2 votes so far. Anyone else wanna weigh in?

The issue I have with "Merge" is that it has connotations to me of permanent changes - like merging contacts in Contacts, for example. I don't want it to imply it'll modify the saved presets.

• Add means add and merge means merge. You add an initial app in its slot, but an initial app can’t be “merged” because you have to have something there already to merge with. Add covers both usages.

This would be like putting a coozie on the Holy Grail! AUM has plus, so do pregnancy tests, let it be, Man..

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Add means add and merge means merge. You add an initial app in its slot, but an initial app can’t be “merged” because you have to have something there already to merge with. Add covers both usages.

This would be like putting a coozie on the Holy Grail! AUM has plus, so do pregnancy tests, let it be, Man..

Well there we have it. Another vote for merge!

• I'd be happy with either word. The main bonus of Add is it's shorter for icons though :)
    I think Add makes more sense as well perhaps because you're adding to the current preset and keeping current session settings.

• Conflate.

Problem solved. You’re welcome.

• +1 for add

• Add makes perfect sense to me. I agree merge implies that it will merge the new instruments onto the existing lanes. It doesn’t - it adds new lanes for them.

• ADD is shorter and more intuitive, gets my vote

• +1 ADD

• edited April 2019

One question: after a preset is merged/add, can it be saved on its own again?

• Add it is!

@jipumarino said:

Add will import the contents of the preset into the current one; it won't touch the original.

• Does it copy the MIDI bindings?

• On the other hand, “merge” has some juicy marketing potential...

Feel the urge to merge? Oooh yeah. Audiobus baby...

• I feel the urge to add

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Does it copy the MIDI bindings?

Yup. Actually I just realised I forgot to implement one part, which I'll do tomorrow. But it already works with the new MIDI learn output ports

• @Michael said:
    Add it is!

@jipumarino said:

Add will import the contents of the preset into the current one; it won't touch the original.

Thanks for your reply, got it! Will adding be all or nothing? Can I, for instance, select just one track from the preset being added?

• It's just all or nothing, but there's no reason you couldn't duplicate a preset and cut out the bits you don't want, then save that and use it