Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BASS NERD-OUT! A Quick Tour of My Basses - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

edited April 2019 in Other

I'm later than usual with my newest release but here it is in all it's full glory. I know at least a couple of you are fellow bass nerds out there!

Daveypoo - a Warts-and-All Production!

Comments

• McDMcD
    edited April 2019

Damn... I was expecting a "Fishing Video". Most likely the Deep Sea variant from a Golden Gate'r, 49'er, Haight Hippie living' off the land.

Comments on this video:

I think you might be 2 different people: a speaking head and a playing torso. We've been sold worse.

I had never heard that "Humbucker" naming detail. +1 solid piece of useful trivia. I wonder if the phased wiring reduces the hi-frequencies? I have a Telecaster without Humbuckers and it has golden highs.

Cool "brite" strings to bring back those highs?

When you started saying you want a Bass for all tones, I thought what about "Jaco" and assumed that tone needed a fretless with that glass finished fretboard. So, it was cool to heard some of the Jaco tone. So, I'm wondering about acoustic (upright) tones.

Cool. Add a "Badass Bridge" for sustain with muting hardware and you get Acoustic Bass tones. Thumpy... the 8th Dwarf!

Low Sea? (still thinking about those Bass fish, sorry). No! Low B even. De-Tuner indeed. Doing D-Job.

OK. One bass does everything. No? Bass #2? My money's on a Fender Key Bass.

Wrong.

Country and R&B needs dead strings, Shorty.

Wrap-up: What? You can get paid? Talk about burying the lede.

(Another great Davey the Poo video).

• Thanks for the detailed comments @McD. I know that this crowd isn't as interested in the non-iOS-centric videos, but I like to have a bit of variety on the channel and I appreciate your loyalty!

@analog_matt The mantra in our house is Science is Real!

• I'm interested in all bass-centric videos.

• @analog_matt said:
    I'm interested in all bass-centric videos.

And this is why we get along - 'cause you've got the MAD bass skillz! ;)

• @Daveypoo said:
    Thanks for the detailed comments @McD. I know that this crowd isn't as interested in the non-iOS-centric videos, but I like to have a bit of variety on the channel and I appreciate your loyalty!

which Davey is responding here: Head or Torso. I'm guessing Torso to do the typing but if it's Head it might explain the nose.

• @McD said:

@Daveypoo said:
    Thanks for the detailed comments @McD. I know that this crowd isn't as interested in the non-iOS-centric videos, but I like to have a bit of variety on the channel and I appreciate your loyalty!

which Davey is responding here: Head or Torso. I'm guessing Torso to do the typing but if it's Head it might explain the nose.

This is the Disembodied Internet Ghost of Daveypoo - Head & Torso have a job they should be doing right now.....

• Lotsa cool tips, Daveypoo! I didn’t know about the foam mutes. I usually get that tone with my palm and playing with a pick. (Which is something you didn’t really go into, all the different tones you can get with playing technique.) I’m not a real bass player. (I wish.) Mostly play with a pick. Developing right hand skills—one of those “someday”/never-found-time aspirations. Pickup tips were interesting too, wish I didn’t have to always battle hum on my Jazz Bass (thank gawd for noise gates). Maybe I should consider some of these mods! :p

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Lotsa cool tips, Daveypoo! I didn’t know about the foam mutes. I usually get that tone with my palm and playing with a pick. (Which is something you didn’t really go into, all the different tones you can get with playing technique.) I’m not a real bass player. (I wish.) Mostly play with a pick. Developing right hand skills—one of those “someday”/never-found-time aspirations. Pickup tips were interesting too, wish I didn’t have to always battle hum on my Jazz Bass (thank gawd for noise gates). Maybe I should consider some of these mods! :p

Thanks for the feedback, Lady! The video was running long with all my BSing so I didn't really go into playing techniques at all. Yes - I've been palm muting with and without a pick for years. You can also use your fretting hand to muffle the strings as well which I find I do a lot. Each gives a slightly different feel (palm muting, fretting hand muting, foam mutes), so I cater the use of each to the tune. Honestly though, there's not that much forethought involved - I just do whatever feels good at the moment.

Besides - Bobby Vega seems to do JUST fine with only a pick and his palms. Tony Levin famously shoved a diaper/nappy under his strings on a Peter Gabriel session. You can definitely accomplish these tones without all the mods - just make sure you have a spare set of Huggies handy.

You were specifically one of the folks that had asked about the sound of my blue bass in particular so I wanted to walk through just what was capable with the bass alone. And besides - most of this is WAY more than your average musician would need to just cut a bass track for a tune. I also don't want to own a lot of gear - I don't have anywhere to put it. Being able to do a lot with one instrument is what drew me to the iPad in the first place, so the blue bass is also an extension of the same idea.

And after all that, you still need something that just SOUNDS GOOD. Hence the Mustang bass - grab and go is just as valid as all bells and whistles!

• There once were damn good Mustang basses around for cheapo... not anymore :'(

The video captured a lot of aspects in a very short time frame, well done B)
    Back in the days I didn't like Soul and Motown - except for the Bass - been a P-Bass sound addict forever. It's nice you present the versatility of this instrument.
    I get your point of 'compactness' and the addition of the JB neck pickup, but the milling cut is also a deep cut (in my heart), had an E-Series from Japan myself.
    Unfortunately I lack your chops :+1: and any skills to play these things.

• @Telefunky said:
    There once were damn good Mustang basses around for cheapo... not anymore :'(

The video captured a lot of aspects in a very short time frame, well done B)
    Back in the days I didn't like Soul and Motown - except for the Bass - been a P-Bass sound addict forever. It's nice you present the versatility of this instrument.
    I get your point of 'compactness' and the addition of the JB neck pickup, but the milling cut is also a deep cut (in my heart), had an E-Series from Japan myself.
    Unfortunately I lack your chops :+1: and any skills to play these things.

Thanks for the feedback, @Telefunky

Yes - adding a second pickup and performing a non-reversible modification took some commitment. Thankfully, I didn't invest much in the actual instrument, and I decided that I liked the bass enough to not replace it but upgrade it. Not something for the faint of heart, however.

Chops just come with time and familiarity. A friend once told me "If you want to play fast, just play stuff you know really well" and he's exactly right. You're awfully generous and very kind, sir - I appreciate your comments.

• Well, here's the probably worst ever version of Pink Floyd's Money theme... :D

that Bass has the Series E neck and pickups on a Mexican body (I used to switch parts on 3 P-Basses a lot)
    Not posted for playing but for the pic of my favourite instrument DI/preamp, a piece of vintage German studio gear with a 40 Ohm output stage (broadcast standard back then).
    This nice little extra allowed to connect headphones directly to the preamp, my best practice sound ever.
    The 4 parts are raw ioDock, raw V357 pre, ioDock + JamUp, V357 + JamUp.

• edited April 2019

That's a great tone - I like the articulation you're getting with your fingers. Sounds fantastic, must sit in the mix just great.

• You may download the .wav version if you want to check the preamp details.
    The ioDock performs really well - given it's price range.
    I got the V357 by pure chance (with no idea about it, just read 'high impedance input').
    Saved me 500 bucks by not buying an Avalon U5, which was on my radar at that time.
    But it started a severe GAS attack for all those broadcast modules, oops.
    Yes, my finger tone is ok, but the groove on them fingers sucks. o:)
    That's no understatement in any way, but I can face the fact - I can't play these lovely fat necks anymore for a tendon damage on ring/pinky from rock climbing.
    But your complimentis much appreciated.

• @Daveypoo said:

Well I guess I’m an exception then. Love to see how other bass players do it.
    What is the name/brand of the bass mute. Great video. Thanks.

• It's called:

The Bassmute

😁

https://bassmute.eu

• @Daveypoo said:

>

Besides - Bobby Vega seems to do JUST fine with only a pick and his palms. Tony Levin famously shoved a diaper/nappy under his strings on a Peter Gabriel session. You can definitely accomplish these tones without all the mods - just make sure you have a spare set of Huggies handy.

Ha! I used to slip a sock under the strings down by the nut for playing slide guitar. Raises the action and deadens the strings.

• Hell yeah - that's SUPER rock'n'roll right there!

• edited April 2019

This is/was my attempt at a single guitar to cover as many tones as possible. It is a Carvin that I had custom built for me back in the 90s. It has 24 frets (for the high notes), a neck that runs through the body (for max sustain), and, most importantly, pickups that can be split between single and dual coil, for everything from Strat/Tele to Les Paul tones all in one guitar. One issue, however, is the Wilkinson tremolo bridge is not great for the palm mute/DiMeola thing -- I tend to press too hard and it goes sharp.

You've inspired me to do some experimenting, so I grabbed a piece of foam and stuffed it under the bridge! Working pretty nicely so far but need to experiment more. I found a YouTube video that recommended a piece of mouse pad w/ slits cut in it for creating your own mute. May give that a try... I may try doing the same on my Fender Jazz Bass too! :p

• It’s great to consider the physical approaches that we want models of.

@Lady_App_titude please make some music for us! You and @Daveypoo make the hippest jams and can play with pro skills too. @Janosax too while i’m Passing out the awards for grooving while playing.

• edited April 2019

Damn, @Lady_App_titude - that's a SWEET Carvin. Despite all the years of modding my basses, it never occurred to me to create an all-purpose-guitar until a couple years back I saw a video of Guthrie Govan talking about his signature guitar. He had 3 pickups - humbuckers in the neck and bridge and a single coil in between. He also had all the switching combinations and coil taps, so he could emulate Tele bridge/neck single coil, Strat 3 single coil, Les Paul two humbuckers, etc. It was kind of a revelation and I wondered why more guitarists didn't do that sort of thing.

I've been considering doing coil taps/phase switching on my SG guitar, similar to what Zappa had done to his SG in the mid-70's. I dunno, though - at this point I don't have a need, I'd be modding just to do it...

Man, what a killer guitar, though. 24 frets to boot - again, something else I am surprised more guitarists/luthiers don't do. I'd like to hear how that beast sounds - recordings of it somewhere?

@McD - I realized that I have time to either make music or make videos, not both unfortunately. Always up for collaborating, though - this way I don't have to do EVERYTHING myself, and I work better when I have outside input to feed off of.

• @Daveypoo said:
    @McD - I realized that I have time to either make music or make videos, not both unfortunately. Always up for collaborating, though - this way I don't have to do EVERYTHING myself, and I work better when I have outside input to feed off of.

That could be cool since my baselines are probably my achilles heel. What are your favorite collaborations tools (Cubasis projects, AUM or AB Projects, Auria Pro, Stems of audio, other?)

I have something in process with @LinearLineman that I need to work on but I'd like to
    do something with one of your monstrous grooves or settle on a drum track to start the jam.

Something as simple as a BPM request could kick the can initially.

• edited April 2019

@McD said:

@Daveypoo said:

That could be cool since my baselines are probably my achilles heel. What are your favorite collaborations tools (Cubasis projects, AUM or AB Projects, Auria Pro, Stems of audio, other?)

I have something in process with @LinearLineman that I need to work on but I'd like to
    do something with one of your monstrous grooves or settle on a drum track to start the jam.

Something as simple as a BPM request could kick the can initially.

Well.......

I have all the appropriate apps to ingest whatever you want to send - Cubasis, BM3, NS2, Auria Pro, AB, AUM, apeMatrix, Gadget.... I use Cubasis, apeMatrix and Gadget primarily these days, but I'm not particular about whatever format you want to use.

If you want me to send YOU something, I can do that too. I sent a couple of tracks to @rs2000 but I haven't heard from him, so they're either terrible and he doesn't want to say anything, or the zombies attacked and he's trapped in his basement.... ;) Regardless, I've got a ton of half-done tracks that I'm directionless on, so I am happy to shoot you something to muck around with as well.

I'm not picky so you let me know what you're looking for and hopefully I can deliver.

And @Lady_App_titude - I'd absolutely LOVE to do something with you as well You've got the jamminest tracks around, and frankly I hadn't offered before now as I felt quite inadequate next to your jamz. But..... since we're talking about it already.......

;)

• @McD said:

@Lady_App_titude please make some music for us!

Thx, McD! I’m always working on something, but now I gotta find a way to work in some muted guitar parts! :p

• if you want to take that one step beyond, you may try the d'Addario ECG23 strings on your guitar. Despite being flatwound they actually have a surprisingly brite (and very unique) character, but properly (palm) muted they come close to an almost bass-like response.

Initial brightness lasts for 1-2 months, then slightly drops and keeps this sound for years (!).
    Expensive strings, but the set on my Walden Dreadnought is about 6 years on duty and the one on my Tele for 4 years. 3 high e-strings broke over all these years on those 2 guitars.
    But 10-48 is the lightest gauge available, tough to bend.

• @Daveypoo said:
    I have all the appropriate apps to ingest whatever you want to send - Cubasis, BM3, NS2, Auria Pro, AB, AUM, apeMatrix, Gadget....

I own everything in your list. So, any starter idea will get me moving.

If you have any partial Gadget projects you've started I'd like to have a reason to open Gadget up and use all the goodies I have purchased. I'll add a bit and send it back for you to
    add more or move it to another tool. I own everything in your list. So, any starter idea will
    get me moving.

No pressure. Not yet another demand on your creative reserves. If the interim result doesn't inspire you we can pass it off to someone here to add something.> @Lady_App_titude said:

@McD said:

@Lady_App_titude please make some music for us!

Thx, McD! I’m always working on something, but now I gotta find a way to work in some muted guitar parts! :p

That will be cool. I started taking guitar lessons (again... the 3rd teacher in 45 years) to motivate me to improve my skills with daily practice. I'm trying to work through the Berklee
    "Modern Method for Guitar" to develop the reading habit.