Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom Piano Roll updated with support for iOS 11, better layout on iPhone

Hey everyone.

The last couple of days were a whirlwind. I'm grateful for all the feedback received, and humbled to see how many of you are enjoying the app.

I'm releasing a quick update today to address all of the important/breaking bugs discovered in v1.0 by the members on this forum. The update (v1.0.1) is now available on the App Store and includes:

- Fixed rendering issues on iOS 11 (thanks @Rodolfo and @SpookyZoo for testing)
- Layout improvements for small screen sizes (thanks @Samu for all the suggestions)
- Note entry improvements for right-to-left gestures (thanks @Carnbot for spotting this one)
- History stack improvements for flip X and Y operations

There's a few other very small quality of life improvements as well (e.g. timeline labels changed to make loop duration less confusing etc.), all fairly subtle, but hopefully they'll have a positive impact on your workflow.

There's also a new video available now on using non-destructive quantise options for recording:

Cheers!

Comments

• @blueveek keep doing what you’re doing! I’m loving this app!

• @blueveek you’re a machine top stuff 🔥

• Thanks for all that you do @blueveek!!

• I just installed the update and I see a submenu with the ... characters.

When I select it, more options appear (time signature, brush selectors), but then there’s no way to go back to the first options displayed. Is this by design? How do we go back?

Noticed on both AB3 and AUM on iPhone 6s

• @Empolo said:
    I just installed the update and I see a submenu with the ... characters.

When I select it, more options appear (time signature, brush selectors), but then there’s no way to go back to the first options displayed. Is this by design? How do we go back?

Use the tool, or tap anywhere else.

• @blueveek said:

@Empolo said:

Confirmed. Thanks and congrats on an excellent app.

• @Empolo said:

@blueveek said:

@Empolo said:

Confirmed. Thanks and congrats on an excellent app.

One last quick note...I still need to flip my phone into Portrait view in order to see the octave arrows. There are no submenus on the right hand side.

By design?

• edited April 2019

@Empolo Yes.

From my testing, cramming absolutely everything together into such a small space isn't going to be pleasant to use. Everything else is accessible from the expando menus.

• @blueveek said:
    @Empolo Yes.

From my testing, cramming absolutely everything together into such a small space isn't going to be pleasant to use. Everything else is accessible from the expando menus.

Good deal - Just wanted to confirm. The easy editing tool access was the main fix I was looking for.

• Awesome work @blueveek

Now promise you'll take that vacation we discussed — you deserve a break ;)

• edited April 2019

@blueveek Looks good but...

...after pressing the 3 dots to access the tools there's no way to 'go back'.

Picture 1

Looking good so I tap on the 3 dots to access the tools.

Picture 2

Nice, I can see the tools, let's see about the tempo menu...
    Picture 3

Nice!

But how the 'insert favourite wtf acronym here' do I get back to the 'pre 3 dots' mode so I can access record and the other 'stuff' I could see before I tapped on the 3 dots?!
    (I've not found a good solution for this yet).

One solution could be to 'toggle' between record & edit tools and tempo/transport & undo/layer/grid.

Yeah I do get I'm on one of the smallest supported devices an iPhone 8 with iOS12.2 but still...

• @Samu said:

Just use the tool or tap anywhere else and you’ll collapse the drawer and go back :)

• ios 11 fixed ???!!! <3 ! getting it NOW ;)

• @blueveek said:

@Samu said:

Just use the tool or tap anywhere else and you’ll collapse the drawer and go back :)

Thanks, sometimes I'm 'too blind to the obvious' :)
    (Usually when there's a button to 'open' a menu the same button is also used to 'close' it).

• @Samu said:

@blueveek said:

@Samu said:

Thanks, sometimes I'm 'too blind to the obvious' :)
    (Usually when there's a button to 'open' a menu the same button is also used to 'close' it).

Yeah, the reason it is how it is is that sometimes there’s no space even for that open/close button. Take a look at the top toolbar in portrait mode for example.

Space really is at a premium on those small devices. I’m sure there’s a probably better solution to all of this than the one I’ve managed to come with :) I think the “proper solution” will become obvious in time, once workflows settle in and people use it more.

• @blueveek said:

Space really is at a premium on those small devices. I’m sure there’s a probably better solution to all of this than the one I’ve managed to come with :) I think the “proper solution” will become obvious in time, once workflows settle in and people use it more.

That's true. First I thought the 'tap anywhere to close' was broken since I tried to tap on empty spots in the 'menu area' and the 'piano' only to realise I have to tap on the 'grid' to actually close the menu...

The tap on the grid can add un-intended events when closing the menu so maybe a tap on the 'piano' could optionally close it as well? (But that could in turn cause issues if record is enabled since the piano can be used in record & step-record modes).

On the iPad it's really good and works as expected and that's where I'll most likely end up using ATOM even though the CPU on the iPhone 8 runs circles around the iPad Air 2...

• @blueveek
    I just wanted to say that your approach to customer interaction is an inspiration. You strike a great balance between being informed by customer feedback but never allowing it to lead to feature creep and loss of focus from your original design intent.

If only all iOS developers could be the same! :)

• This update doesn’t seem to fix the issue of step recording AU keyboards not stepping

• @BiancaNeve said:
    This update doesn’t seem to fix the issue of step recording AU keyboards not stepping

I use ATOM step-recording in AUM without any problems have you chosen any 'input' for Atom?
    (I've fed it with external 'keyboard apps' as well as hardware controllers).

• @Samu said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    This update doesn’t seem to fix the issue of step recording AU keyboards not stepping

I use ATOM step-recording in AUM without any problems have you chosen any 'input' for Atom?

This is an AB3 specific thing for now, with third party keyboards. Looking into it.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@Samu said:

@BiancaNeve said:

It doesn’t work with AUv3 midi keyboard apps. All the notes stack on the first beat. Maybe you were using an IAA / Standalone version?

[edit] oops. Only doesn’t work in AudioBus. It’s OK in AUM.

• @wim said:

@Samu said:

@BiancaNeve said:

It doesn’t work with AUv3 midi keyboard apps. All the notes stack on the first beat. Maybe you were using an IAA / Standalone version?

Works fine in ApeMatrix too :)
    (In both Cubasis and BM3 I wish I could 'replace' the built-in editors with ATOM hehe).

• Very nice update for the iPhone 7 Plus too, great job @blueveek :)

• edited April 2019

Just got this app, and the update. Seems fantastic so far. Just wondering if I'm missing something - is there a song mode, or perhaps a way to change sequences via program change? Interested to know if there's a way to arrange longer compositions in Aum rather than loops.

• Sorry I thought this was the Audiobus forum - not the AUM forum.

• /me Goes over to @blueveek's corner, whispers in his ear, 'you got this champ, but remember, this is the pros, 15 rounds, ya gotta pace yourself, stick and move, keep them at the end of the jab, you're looking great out there kid, crowd's behind you....'

• @wim said:

@Samu said:

@BiancaNeve said:

I see no problems with step recording in AudioBus.
    It draws the note and continues to the next part of the grid.

• @blueveek, thanks for your hard work.

• @BiancaNeve said:

Sorry I thought this was the Audiobus forum - not the AUM forum.

Audiobus doesn't support AU3 Midi plugins though, does it?