Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Blimey - faster than me letting everyone know - thank you

Bit more information here in this video

(just because it causes confusion - Abigail Macfarlane is one of the partners in Pagefall, we will turn it into a proper legal entity soon but we haven't gotten around to that yet, I'm Mark one of the developers and I'm the main person who posts here)

• Interesting....can this write MIDI to Atom sequencer? I like the idea of capturing some generated chords...

• I've not tried that - but no reason why not

• Oh yeah...

• Instant Laurie Spiegel! Love it

• edited April 2019

@MonzoPro said:
    Interesting....can this write MIDI to Atom sequencer? I like the idea of capturing some generated chords...

It does.
    Er, I mean, it can.

• In the days B.A. (before Atom), I’m not sure this would have interested me much. Now I’m interested. Very interested indeed.

• @CracklePot said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Interesting....can this write MIDI to Atom sequencer? I like the idea of capturing some generated chords...

It does.
    Er, I mean, it can.

Cool beans.

Look forward to seeing a few more vids.

• What a time to be alive! This one is very, very, cool. Just in the past few weeks we've have had a Photon update, Fugue Machine Auv3, Atom, and now this. Running even a simple sequence through Calamity can result in some wild rhythms and sounds!

• @bcrichards said:
    Running even a simple sequence through Calamity can result in some wild rhythms and sounds!

Calamity - that's an even better name for this app.

• I did a bit of testing on this. It’s really awesome. Try running it into MidiDelay (from the @midiSequencer guy). Yes, very Laurie Spiegal / Catarina Barbiari vibes can be easily had.Then run sound into Enso.

• I've been having a lot of fun with Autony lately, enjoying really much the generated sequences, so this was instabuy.

However, I still don't get why the buttons. What's wrong with sliders? Fex. why would I pass through II, III, IV if I just want to change triad from I to V? Or what about simple drop-down menus: instead of dialling scales in alphabetical(?) order until I find one I like or the one I want?

Maybe it gives more sense if the app is thought to be controlled externally. But that is not my case: I'm using sequencers only when I'm lazy and don't want to sit by the Linnstrument, so I don't have a MIDI controller close to me.

• edited April 2019

I tried sliders - I preferred the knobs. Which ever thing I do - someone is going to like it better another way

However - there is a little feature that might help you - if you look on the midi page there are two midi channels you can set. one of them lets you change chord (it's not a transpose - it literally sets the chord knob) - just to be clear you then need two midi streams coming in - one to process and a second one controlling the chords

• @pagefall said:
    I tried sliders - I preferred the knobs. Which ever thing I do - someone is going to like it better another way

However - there is a little feature that might help you - if you look on the midi page there are two midi channels you can set. one of them lets you change chord (it's not a transpose - it literally sets the chord knob)

All right, @pagefall Sure it's difficult to keep everybody happy.
    It's also ok for me that is not perfect. Otherwise I might get too lazy.

• I’m NOT going to tell anyone NOT to use Cality with iSymphonic. I’m not, I’m not!

I’ve tried it with a gaggle of synths to some degree of audible clarity when trying to hear the additional voices added, but with iSymphonic it really shines.

So @pagefall my suggestion/feature request... (inevitable isn’t it)
    Is it possible to send each additional note to a specific synth for voicing and timbre distribution.

Ex:
    3 notes random distribution over 12 semitones get sent to
    Mood
    ISEM
    Zeeon

I wouldn’t know if this is possible the way you’ve programmed it now. Either way I’m having fun.

• I really like the concept, but price is a bit steep @ $6.99 for a midi applet when Rozeta will do so much more for +$3. Perhaps a promo for forum users?

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    I did a bit of testing on this. It’s really awesome. Try running it into MidiDelay (from the @midiSequencer guy). Yes, very Laurie Spiegal / Catarina Barbiari vibes can be easily had.Then run sound into Enso.

Do you mean running it into Midi Echo? Just want to be sure I'm not missing something here...

• @audiblevideo said:
    I’m NOT going to tell anyone NOT to use Cality with iSymphonic. I’m not, I’m not!

I’ve tried it with a gaggle of synths to some degree of audible clarity when trying to hear the additional voices added, but with iSymphonic it really shines.

Is it possible to send each additional note to a specific synth for voicing and timbre distribution.

Ex:
    Mood
    ISEM
    Zeeon

I wouldn’t know if this is possible the way you’ve programmed it now. Either way I’m having fun.

I would try using one input into 3 instances, each set to output to 1 of the 3 different synths.
    Kinda what you are asking, but you may sometimes get the same note simultaneously on 2 or even all 3 synths. But the chance of that happening would seem slim.

• @audiblevideo said:
    I’m NOT going to tell anyone NOT to use Cality with iSymphonic. I’m not, I’m not!

Ex:
    Mood
    ISEM
    Zeeon

You can use Polythemus to do that. Works perfectly here

• So @pagefall my suggestion/feature request... (inevitable isn’t it)

on the midi page you can set the cloud notes to go to one additional synth - having essentially a voice allocation algorithm on that is certainly possible - give it a range of channels perhaps. Maybe - I'll have a think......

• You can use Polythemus to do that. Works perfectly here

Ah - yes! that would do the trick nicely - forgotten about that.

• Oh wow this is wonderful. Loving this mixed with Atom.

• @White - it might reduce confusion if you edited the thread title to reflect Pagefall as the developer. Just a suggestion...

• @osc101 said:
    I really like the concept, but price is a bit steep @ $6.99 for a midi applet when Rozeta will do so much more for +$3. Perhaps a promo for forum users?

I disagree. I think this is very reasonably priced (as is Rozeta).

• @cuscolima said:

@audiblevideo said:

Ex:
    Mood
    ISEM
    Zeeon

You can use Polythemus to do that. Works perfectly here

Yes, that is a great tip.
    So many Midi utilities lately, I can’t keep up with all the new possibilities.
    It sure is great!

• @gusgranite said:

@osc101 said:
    I really like the concept, but price is a bit steep @ $6.99 for a midi applet when Rozeta will do so much more for +$3. Perhaps a promo for forum users?

I disagree. I think this is very reasonably priced (as is

Maybe I’m wrong, but if Rozeta does significantly more than this app for only +$3, wouldn’t that make this over priced by comparison? Am I missing something with the features of this midi applet?

• @osc101 said:

@gusgranite said:

@osc101 said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but if Rozeta does significantly more than this app for only +$3, wouldn’t that make this over priced by comparison? Am I missing something with the features of this midi applet?

I tend to think Rozeta is way way underpriced.

• @gusgranite said:

@osc101 said:

@gusgranite said:

@osc101 said:

I tend to think Rozeta is way way underpriced.

I tested Cality and find it reasonably-priced. But I had previously only used Rozeta’s midi sequence generators and hadn’t played with midi effects. Holy Cow! Rozeta is pretty freaking under-priced!

Off to go discover all I’ve been missing in Rozeta :)

• @osc101 said:

@gusgranite said:

@osc101 said:

But GarageBand does nearly everything, and it is free.
    AUM costs more than Audiobus, most people can’t tell them apart until they use both, but hardly anyone thinks AUM is overpriced after they actually use it.

Just ask yourself if the price is too high. If ‘yes’ then don’t buy it.
    I said ‘yes’ to the Lumbeat apps’ prices for a long time. Now that I have 3 of them, my answer is a definitive ‘no’. I am planning on getting a couple more Lumbeat apps, too.

Really, I think most people feel a little guilty that these apps are so cheap to buy, and are thankful for the work of the iOS developers.

• edited April 2019

MY OPINION On app pricing in general...
    Jesus, buy it or don’t. You’re not going to get it any less “expensive” by complaining.

If you want to complain about what it does, then fine.
    To Quote the Hound
    “Stop your whinging”