Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

Comments

• edited April 2019

@Samu The UI needs slight tweaking on small iPhone screens, agreed. Cramming everything together in such a tight space is tricky. I've logged this and will look into it.

• @Jocphone Great stuff. The randomiser suggestions are interesting, I've heard at least one other before which is 'random note scatter' based on selected scale.

• @blueveek said:
    @Jocphone Great stuff. The randomiser suggestions are interesting, I've heard at least one other before which is 'random note scatter' based on selected scale.

But don't discount the draw mode suggestion please. I think it's quite a useful thing to be able to flutter your fingers across the piano roll in order to quickly define overall shape of a melody or drum pattern. Feels so natural to do with a touch screen and you can move stray notes into scale afterwards anyway. ..unless you are thinking of adding non-destructuve scale quantize as well.. ;)

• @Jocphone said:

2/ Would like a draw mode similar to how Gadget lets you draw in notes. Love to be able to tap around quickly on the piano roll for semi random note placement.

+1, seems to be double-tap at the moment which slows things down.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

2/ Would like a draw mode similar to how Gadget lets you draw in notes. Love to be able to tap around quickly on the piano roll for semi random note placement.

+1 with that, double tap for entering note is a bit weird.

• edited April 2019

@Janosax said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

Many people seem want this, you're not alone here.

The reason I've implemented it this way is to avoid accidental note entry, and match the standard selection behaviour where a tap first removes selection. However, I can definitely see how this can be cumbersome at times, especially for rapid note entry.

After comparing it with other DAWs, both desktop and iOS, looks like everyone is doing things a little differently, even if there's some consistency. Double tap to enter isn't unusual at all, and some desktop DAWs even different single/double click behaviour based on active tool (pencil vs. brush).

I've tried to make this piano roll a "pref-free experience" as much as possible, but there's two obvious sides to this and both camps are right. I think it's good to have this as an option.

• @blueveek said:

@Janosax said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

The reason I've implemented it this way is to avoid accidental note entry, and match the standard selection behaviour where a tap first removes selection.

Don't know if this is possible, but tap for note entry, long hold to edit (stretch etc.), and double-tap (or just single tap) to delete would work for me. It'd be nice if it played the note as well when entering, as per Gadget.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Don't know if this is possible, but tap for note entry, long hold to edit (stretch etc.), and double-tap (or just single tap) to delete would work for me. It'd be nice if it played the note as well when entering, as per Gadget.

Exactly this. Would be great.

• @blueveek said:

@Janosax said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

The reason I've implemented it this way is to avoid accidental note entry, and match the standard selection behaviour where a tap first removes selection. However, I can definitely see how this can be cumbersome at times, especially for rapid note entry.

After comparing it with other DAWs, both desktop and iOS, looks like everyone is doing things a little differently, even if there's some consistency. Double tap to enter isn't unusual at all, and some desktop DAWs even different single/double click behaviour based on active tool (pencil vs. brush).

I've tried to make this piano roll a "pref-free experience" as much as possible, but there's two obvious sides to this and both camps are right. I think it's good to have this as an option.

Now that you mention it I agree that double tap is good for a live play situation. Would it be possible maybe to chose either mode via a setting page ? I'd see myself using both modes for different applications.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@blueveek said:

@Janosax said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

Now that you mention it I agree that double tap is good for a live play situation. Would it be possible maybe to chose either mode via a setting page ? I'd see myself using both modes for different applications.

Yes, I think that's the way to go here.

• +1 for AB option via settings :)

• @blueveek said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@blueveek said:

@Janosax said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

Yes, I think that's the way to go here.

Or maybe a different pencil tool. Long press to toggle and switch the icon?

• So I am so sorry I am late to the party. And if I missed this forgive me.

This will not save the scale I selected after I save my project in AUM? Is this expected?

• @blueveek said:

Limit is fairly arbitrary (I figured most songs are at most 40 bars in length).

You don't listen to too much electronic music then, 40 bars are needed just for the intro! :)

• @blueveek said:

@White said:
    @blueveek

I just noticed that the piano roll has a limit of 41 bars, why that number ?

I had hoped to be able to create full songs in it, but with 41 bars that may not be possible.

I can extend this easily if needed.

On a more serious note, I think it could maybe default to 41 bars but the max should be as large as is reasonable considering total typical memory overheads. It's not uncommon in electronic music to compose and record an album's worth of material in a single sequencer session. I'm not suggesting this would be the case with Atom but it should be flexible enough to cope with15-20 minutes worth of material.

• @Chaztrip said:
    So I am so sorry I am late to the party. And if I missed this forgive me.

This will not save the scale I selected after I save my project in AUM? Is this expected?

Expected for now. It's the same story with layers (the reason for which is simple: when saving single presets, not entire sessions, you can't guarantee that other clips exist when loading them back).

• @jonmoore said:

@blueveek said:

You don't listen to too much electronic music then, 40 bars are needed just for the intro! :)

A lot of this stems from the fact that arrangers usually use multiple clips to sequence the entire track, not a single long one for everything. I've been hinting repeatedly at a clip launcher / track mode kind of AU, but that's not available yet so I understand the desire for longer clips right now.

How's 1024 bars? For a 140bpm project, that results in a total duration of ~30 minutes.

• Just had my first mess around with this.....the split note feature alone makes this worth the money :)
    Join notes would be useful too ;) Or am i just missing it ?

• @blueveek said:

@jonmoore said:

@blueveek said:

A lot of this stems from the fact that arrangers usually use multiple clips to sequence the entire track, not a single long one for everything. I've been hinting repeatedly at a clip launcher / track mode kind of AU, but that's not available yet so I understand the desire for longer clips right now.

How's 1024 bars? For a 140bpm project, that results in a total duration of ~30 minutes.

I would actually use both....I start with clips/loops to build the structure of a track, and will then play live and record full length tracks to go over the top. Even mixing the 2, so having clips/loops with notes and then a full length track with CC automations on it.

• @jonmoore said:

@blueveek said:

Thankful someone else also listens to this strange stuff! 😁

• @blueveek said:

@jonmoore said:

@blueveek said:

1024 would be lovely.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@blueveek said:

@jonmoore said:

@blueveek said:

1024 would be lovely.

^ Agreed.

• @blueveek Just spotted if I draw in a note from right to left, then you can't edit the length of that note.

• @jonmoore said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@blueveek said:

@jonmoore said:

@blueveek said:

1024 would be lovely.

^ Agreed.

+1

• @Carnbot said:
    @blueveek Just spotted if I draw in a note from right to left, then you can't edit the length of that note.

Logged and fixed. Thanks for that.

• @blueveek I noticed a bug where the notes did not play when I reversed direction from +1 speed to -1 speed mid-flight...

• @SimonSaysBoo said:
    @blueveek I noticed a bug where the notes did not play when I reversed direction from +1 speed to -1 speed mid-flight...

Can you send me a project exhibiting the issue? Did the notes resume playing, or were they paused while reversing direction?

• Thanks! Loving this app!!!

@jonmoore said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@blueveek said:

@jonmoore said:

@blueveek said:

1024 would be lovely.

^ Agreed.

• @blueveek said:

@jonmoore said:

@blueveek said:

I'm curious. Will the clip launcher be a separate app ? Or part of the existing like how @brambos did it with his sequencer suite ?

• edited April 2019

Guys question: how do I insert an AUM channel set up I created for guitar in another AUM project into the current project I have going now with Atom?
    Thanks.