Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - April 2019

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

Comments

• My entry for the month: drums, bass and synths were performed/sequenced in NS2, and guitars, vocals and final mix done in Auria:

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month: drums, bass and synths were performed/sequenced in NS2, and guitars, vocals and final mix done in Auria:

I think the synths kind of made this song. Especially the melody at the end. I have to say though, I much preferred your song last month, which I thought was truly outstanding!!

• My song of the month is my version of a hip hop song haha. I sampled from Ström and tried to make the vocals sound rhythmic.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month: drums, bass and synths were performed/sequenced in NS2, and guitars, vocals and final mix done in Auria:

Love the lazy "guitar?" at the end. I think that this is also one of your best vocal performances and they really matches the lyrics and tone of the song. I think at the 1:12 needs a fast trill like guitar solo or some ambient plucking - its lovely as it is but adding a bit (just a bit) of a faster part might pull the song along. Great stuff.

Really like this one it fits my current disposition ;)

• Thanks for the feedback and the listens - much appreciated. @audiblevideo the section at the end is Zeeon, I love the idea of doing melodic synth solos rather than guitar just because it sounds less cliché.

@marmakin said:
    My song of the month is my version of a hip hop song haha. I sampled from Ström and tried to make the vocals sound rhythmic.

This is really good. Love the repeating melodies and the laid back but still quite edgy vibe. That main melodic theme is quite an earworm, very nice. There's also a great blend of sounds that drift around the main keys.

A good beat underpins it all, and the samples add some great flavour without distracting from the music. Good job.

• @richardyot said:
    Thanks for the feedback and the listens - much appreciated. @audiblevideo the section at the end is Zeeon, I love the idea of doing melodic synth solos rather than guitar just because it sounds less cliché.

@marmakin said:
    My song of the month is my version of a hip hop song haha. I sampled from Ström and tried to make the vocals sound rhythmic.

This is really good. Love the repeating melodies and the laid back but still quite edgy vibe. That main melodic theme is quite an earworm, very nice. There's also a great blend of sounds that drift around the main keys.

A good beat underpins it all, and the samples add some great flavour without distracting from the music. Good job.

Thank you so much for the kind and helpful feedback!!

• @marmakin said:

Since I was mentioned but didn't give any feedback I'll do so now ;) .
    Nice laidback groove. The distortion towards the end was almost too much, and the first reverb tail in the beginning I wanted it to ramp up in its timing. I loved the fact the song ended on an "inhale" sound in the backing ambient vocals.

• @audiblevideo said:

@marmakin said:

Since I was mentioned but didn't give any feedback I'll do so now ;) .
    Nice laidback groove. The distortion towards the end was almost too much, and the first reverb tail in the beginning I wanted it to ramp up in its timing. I loved the fact the song ended on an "inhale" sound in the backing ambient vocals.

Haha yeah there are a few “inhales” sprinkled in the song. That’s a good point about the ramp up timing, thank you for the feedback!

• edited April 2019

@trackedout said:

Alright lazy Mc Jagger!
    I have the feeling it's supposed to be a little loose. But it might be nice to have some tighter timing/singing etc that then
    Dr-i--i---i----f-----t
    off into the haze. Cool vibe though.

• Hi guys.. I have ran out of snippets... But I have had a lot of work with Record Labels.. So much so, I have not had time to make recent new ones.. So instead of link Traxsource, or Beatport, & peeing a few people off. I decided to post YouTube links instead of Soundcloud.. By the the way, ayes I am sort of promoting, but I haven’t done it for that reason.. It’s just two things.. It’s a snippet demo & it’s my music, but signed with label at same time.. I really hope I don’t piss anyone off?.. It’s the nearest I could think of adding to the club this month?...

• @audiblevideo ha! Funny , yeah I guess it's my style I've had for a while... Thanks for the listen. I wouldn't say lazy , I do work my ass off in the studio!! Jk I get what u mean

• @studs1966 either way you do it you put it down like no one else does. Your consistency is something that is hard to match your always on point

• @richardyot I hear some real guitars in there? You learning? That is a great way to start if so.. I like your solid vocals at the front line

• @trackedout said:
    @richardyot I hear some real guitars in there? You learning? That is a great way to start if so.. I like your solid vocals at the front line

Thanks for the feedback. I've been playing guitar on and off for 25 years :) And many of my SOTMC entries over the last 4 years have been guitar-based, but admittedly I've been using synths a lot for the last couple of years, partly because it's hard to find fresh sounds with the guitar.

• Well I knew that. I've never really heard guitar in your songs. Im sorry for assuming.

• @richardyot I suggest trying very simple guitar lines along with what you do to ad that dynamic flavor .as far as tones there's plenty of aps that give great amazing tone. amplitude being my favorite.. im sure u already know......u have an advantage over some with that 25 years of experience.. I personally like the sound of a real guitar vs not. I used to not play guitar cause I couldn't break past the point of playing same thing over n over... But usually when you jump back on you learn new tricks

• @trackedout said:

Nice - I love the Oooooh harmony vocal. Nice vocal melodies all-around, and the loose style is a perfect antidote to the grid-perfect music that permeates our lives these days. Raw and loose, great stuff.

• Heres a small live modbap jam on my small eurorack. Kick, snare and hats come from ruismaker and ruismaker fm layered and everything else is from my rack and goes through AUM and some AU FXs. Everything is controlled by BSP and hands. I figured to put one of the waveforms of a bass VCO through guitar tube preamp and i think it sounds pretty nice.

@marmakin said:

I liked this in general, smooth and chill vibes. A small vocal section(like half a verse) would had taken this to next level tho. One thing i found a bit disturbing was the LFO on guitar often going a bit all over the place, but its not a big deal and maybe something i would grow into if i listened the song few more times.
    The ending was great, i really liked that noise right before the end and the inhaling fitted nicely as well to end the song.

• @richardyot, really enjoyed your track. Is it you singing? You have a nice calm voice.

@marmakin, nice track! Meaby you could turn down the volume of the snare a little bit. It's really loud.

• Here's my track of this month. Again a very short one, hope you enjoy it.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5BiUZswu1nsDcmmajCX0RG?si=5BjXf6NKRe2_0syDFfYUBg

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @DrRinkel - What a great track. I love how clean the mix is for all the different elements, there's lots going on, but none of it gets muddied or lost in the sound.

@marmakin - Lovely tune, I like the vibe a lot, and that ending was really great, and clever. Endings are tricky, kudos for making one that's memorable and intentional. I would have liked to hear more clarity in the audio samples, but have no problem with them being stylistically vague in the mix.

@ToMess - You have some great sounds in that track. I really like what you did with the Ruismaker drums to get them sounding so "punchy" alongside the other sounds. I found the high melody to be a little bit shrill at points, maybe just the subtlest of low-pass-filters to round off the end a bit would help.

@trackedout - Right of the bat this felt like it had that Spiritualized bluesy vibe, and I love it. Good track, good flow, good vibes. I do think that the song might benefit from a less-is-more approach on the lead guitar though. I tend to think of lead guitar as a duet with the vocals: occasionally play at the same time to boost and support the vocals, and other times provide 'counterpoint' accents in the empty space between phrases.

@richardyot - I'm digging the mellow tune. I really like the melodic refrain following the chorus, and the mix on the vocals is really good. My only critique would be that the guitar tone feels a little thick in the low-mid, and I kind of feel a need for a thinner, brighter sound.

• @DrRinkel said:
    Here's my track of this month. Again a very short one, hope you enjoy it.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5BiUZswu1nsDcmmajCX0RG?si=5BjXf6NKRe2_0syDFfYUBg

This one has a much lighter feel than your previous entries, much less mysterious sounding, the tune is almost nostalgic in feel, I could imagine it as the theme tune to a French TV show from the 60s. I think the second melody that comes in after 20 seconds is the making of the tune.

• @JonathanMac said:
    My entry...all I could find time for is a remix of last months entry. I changed the synth presets, replace the piano with Salamander, exported audio to Auria Pro, and remixed using ProR, ProQ, ProL and Sarurn. I think this version sounds better.

The new mix sounds great. Lovely peaceful tune and the piano is definitely improved.

• @ToMess I gotta say that intro was a bit harsh the rest is a mathematic melodic rhyme of sounds . I like the fuzz bass.

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2019

@JonathanMac said:
    @richardyot
    I really like this song. Mix sounds very clear. Vocals are nicely done.
    I don't like the 3rd measure of the organ solo...the first beat of that measure the organ is on the 6th of the scale and sounds a little odd to me.
    Also the organ sound ends abruptly at the end of the solo...maybe fade it out a bit?
    Love the slide guitar (I think) ambient sound in the later choruses!
    Bridge vocals are really cool!
    Love the synth solo toward the end. That sound contrasts nicely with the song.
    Nice job!

Thanks - I'm always impressed by your ears, always catching those details :)

(And yes that is a slide guitar phrase in the later choruses)