Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

Comments

• This opens BM3 right up now one think I hated about it was the figgity Sequencer great work @blueveek.

• @audiblevideo said:
    @blueveek

Smooth editor!

Recording simple 8 step 1/8 100% gate from Autony results in truncated last (2) steps
    Repeated the same thing multiple times in differing gates and tempos with the same results.
    Tested in AUM

We've debugged this a bit, and this was was just quantisation being applied while recording :)

To avoid auto-quantise while recording, turn SNAP off. Another thing you can try is setting a smaller grid value (this also affects quantisation while recording and SNAP is on).

Since quantisation is non destructive, another approach is to select all notes after recording, go to the wrench icon on the lower right side, pick the quantise panel, and set all sliders to 0%. This brings all notes back to the original as-authored positions.

• Just bought it! I think most of the AUM User out there will love it!
    Congrats for the release @blueveek! 👍

• @blueveek

Congrats, fantastic release :)

Are midi import/export on the roadmap ?

• @White said:
    @blueveek

Definitely. This and more extensive IO support in general is needed.

• Gorgeous @echoopera and @McD! Amazing Victor!

What a revolutionary app! These recent MIDI AUs are taking the modular-approach of iOS music-making to another level. I can actually finish a song now!

Somewhat related, but the modular-approach, MIDI AUs, and the separate modules/components like we get with iVCS3 - has me thinking that there's still a lot left to explore. More automation AUs, CV modules, raw AU multi-synthesis oscillators, VCAs...

Looking forward to future developments.

• @blueveek said:

@White said:
    @blueveek

Great news, import export to/from Files app would be great in also sharing sessions between hosts.
    Not sure if previously has been mentioned for the roadmap but is a movable loop start point planned?

• @Carnbot said:

@blueveek said:

@White said:
    @blueveek

Great news, import export to/from Files app would be great in also sharing sessions between hosts.
    Not sure if previously has been mentioned for the roadmap but is a movable loop start point planned?

I've had people message me at http://audioveek.com/support/ about this and a few other features. Though I didn't prioritise it yet, it was added to the never ending "feature requests" list. :tongue:

• Congrats, @blueveek

With the help of the community this app will reach the stars, 5 stars :)

• @blueveek said:

@Carnbot said:

@blueveek said:

@White said:
    @blueveek

I've had people message me at http://audioveek.com/support/ about this and a few other features. Though I didn't prioritise it yet, it was added to the never ending "feature requests" list. :tongue:

I'll do a thread after the dust settles to decide what's next.

• @Samu said:

@blueveek said:

Agreed, this is absolutely needed. Planned for an update.

Goodie!

The ‘threshold’ near the time ruler is quite sensitive in setting playhead position making it harder to select single notes without using the lasso tool.

Yeah, the area near the time ruler heavily biases towards time ruler related gestures. Any suggestions?

I'll get back when I've played a bit more with it...
    What I shared was my initial reaction.

Tip: you can also select notes in “pen” or “brush” mode, which defaults to single selection. Does this work for you?

Will do some more digging...

...I'm so used to 'Gadget' where the draw tool automatically either adds or deletes a note so I never even thought about using it to select single notes...

There’s also long press gestures for all tools including selection. I’ll leave that up to you to discover :)

Will dig deeper, that's for sure!

Hope to see a 'multiple clips' per instance feature...
    Even before I tested it the first time I tapped on the 'clip number'(top left) to see if there was a 'new/select a clip' menu.

Since I've not dug that deep enough yet, maybe there's even a way to toggle for the 'octave' to 'semi' when moving the selection up & down?

I feel I'll be spending quite some time with ATOM and will try to collate what I bump into :)

A couple of quick things I’ve found, double tap on the selector to select all notes, also select a group of notes then tap zoom to fit them to the screen.

• @GrimLucky said:

A couple of quick things I’ve found, double tap on the selector to select all notes, also select a group of notes then tap zoom to fit them to the screen.

Glad you found them. There's a bunch of these gestural "workflow enhancers" here and there, hoping people stumble upon them naturally. When that's not the case, I know I need to rethink things (so far so good it seems).

However, I do sometimes wonder about having a more exhaustive manual. But people never read those right? :)

• More for the ever growing list if I may.

A fold toggle button - ie only display notes in use ( and or in scale)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2019

@blueveek said:
    However, I do sometimes wonder about having a more exhaustive manual. But people never read those right? :)

Wrong :smile:
    Most of them are sadly written in poor detail and, well, are just crap.

• @MrBlaschke said:

@blueveek said:

Wrong :smile:
    Most of them are sadly written in poor detail and, well, are just crap.

I don’t often read manuals through but like them as a reference for looking things up - if they have a good contents or index.

• I receive my first iPhone today, have been iPad only up to now...this couldn't have arrived at a better time :)

• edited April 2019

@blueveek I may be a bit OCD but I miss having access to the editing tools when using ATOM in landscape mode on my iPhone 8. (ATOM Window maximised in AUM).

I can rotate my iPhone to and get access to them...

...but it should not be needed as there's still some space for the tools in both orientations.

A lot of other things are missing too :(
    Hopefully this can be addressed in an update or something?!

• @Carnbot said:

@blueveek said:

understood! :smiley: yeah a loop start would be so good for Ableton style clip editing.

I also think "fold" would be great, especially for mobile screens, removing some unnecessary space would be great for workflow. :) Even though the scales mode is really nice. Fold is great for custom scales and drums etc.

• @Carnbot said:
    Fold is great for custom scales and drums etc.

I agree that 'scale fold' is ok as it would only show the notes of the active scale but...
    ...show only rows with notes (ie. fold active) is a real pita...

I mean if the last note on a 'row' is removed the entire row vanishes since 'fold rows with notes' would only show rows with notes in it making it impossible to add notes the the row that vanished without un-folding the track first...

Maybe I'm overthinking as usual :D

• edited April 2019

Loren ipsum dolor dir amet

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:
    Fold is great for custom scales and drums etc.

I agree that 'scale fold' is ok as it would only show the notes of the active scale but...
    ...show only rows with notes (ie. fold active) is a real pita...

I mean if the last note on a 'row' is removed the entire row vanishes since 'fold rows with notes' would only show rows with notes in it making it impossible to add notes the the row that vanished without un-folding the track first...

Maybe I'm overthinking as usual :D

oh yeah I agree, ideally you press "fold" and the rows disappear but it's not always constantly folding, only when you press the fold button. So you can remove notes and still have the folded rows remain. Press fold again to "unfold" etc

• edited April 2019

My iOS 11 issue was fixed superquick by @blueveek. Cool stuff!

• @SpookyZoo said:

I think you might be on iOS 11. something?
    There's an issue there being debugged I think.

• edited April 2019

@Carnbot said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Ah, yeah. I’m on 11.4.1

I checked app description but no iOS limit was stated.

Fingers crossed it’s fixable. :) Cheers.

UPDATE:

Fingers crossed it’s fixable.

It was. And has been. :) Thanks @blueveek

• edited April 2019

@SpookyZoo said:

@Carnbot said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Ah, yeah. I’m on 11.4.1

I checked app description but no iOS limit was stated.

Fingers crossed it’s fixable. :) Cheers.

This pesky thing :)

After looking into this, and thanks to the reports so far, it does look like this is strictly an iOS 11.4.1 bug. Upgrading iOS to a more up to date version fixes the issue.

EDIT: For the more interested of you, this is due to some "unorthodox" performance optimisations to make sure Atom consumes the least amount of resources. This comes at a cost to compatibility, and issues such as this one arise.

I'll try to see if there's any ways of addressing the problem on 11.4.1 without performance penalties.

• My measure of an app is how long it takes me to create something unique or unexpected--or make a common task faster/easier. After an hour using this app in my AB3 setup I can report that this lovely creation does both. And the thoughtful design delights on top of utility and inspiration. I'll post a video of the results later when I'm back in WiFi range. But congrats, @blueveek for nailing this one.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    @blueveek Can this loop midi like the sequencers found in Organelle patches?

Ie. Arm it. Then play note to automatically start recording, hit stop and the passage instantly loops. Without note quantisation and without snapping to next bar for loop end point. Organic, like how many audio loopers work.

If so, amazing, instabuy! Been looking for this in iOS forever...

If not, it’d be great if that mode option could maybe be considered for future :)

Congrats on the app release!

Thanks! This isn't in v1 yet, but has been discussed extensively in this thread and is planned: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31373/audioveek-piano-roll-midi-sequencer-au

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    My measure of an app is how long it takes me to create something unique or unexpected--or make a common task faster/easier. After an hour using this app in my AB3 setup I can report that this lovely creation does both. And the thoughtful design delights on top of utility and inspiration. I'll post a video of the results later when I'm back in WiFi range. But congrats, @blueveek for nailing this one.

Can't wait to listen to what you came up with!