Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Work in progress] New AUv3 MIDI Sequencer App

Hey all! I'm working on this new AUv3 MIDI sequencer app for a while and I'm very excited about it. I have some early development footage that might give you some idea about it. Your comments and feature requests are very welcome. I'm planning to release it in a month or so. Of course, it depends on my spare time apart from my full-time work but I'm working very hard on it :)

A few words about it:

• It's fully built on my open-source music theory engine, like my other bud apps.
  • You may sequence notes and/or chords in a key and a scale you want.
  • You may also assign individual off-scale notes or chords for each step. (With MIDI learn or from virtual keyboard)
  • Infinite amount of steps (Please consider the size of your RAM :smile:).
  • Pitch bend, modulation, gate, rate, velocity for each step. (And more MIDI CC in future updates)
  • A very fun to use master fader that you can shift the values. (Or assign master's value to each step)
  • Audiobus, Ableton Link, AUv3, Standalone for iPhone/iPad.

Those are all implemented. I'm working on the optimization and UI/UX now.
I'll announce a testflight build in the near future before the release.

Thanks!

Comments

• OMG.
    More and more fantastic Apps pop up every month!
    Exciting times!

• Great stuff, this is definitely the year of AU midi apps.

• edited March 2019

@cem_olcay have you christening the new app yet with a name ? Stupid question yes I see now welcome to “STEPBUD” !

• @tja thanks!!
    Hey @Jumpercollins, as a matter of fact, yeah, it is going to be StepBud :)

• Looks Dope

• edited March 2019

@cem_olcay said:
    @tja thanks!!

Yer spotting the name after I asked ! What’s the next app after this one called I hope it’s DrinkBud ! Or buddy! Or maybe Bud lite ! Sorry couldn’t resist. Great you are throwing another AU midi app out there so much choice now.

• edited March 2019

@Jumpercollins said:

@cem_olcay said:
    @tja thanks!!

Yer spotting the name after I asked ! What’s the next app after this on called I hope it’s DrinkBud ! Or buddy! Or maybe Bud lite ! Sorry couldn’t resist. Great you are throwing another AU midi app out there so much choice now.

Haha thanks! As a beer lover and a home-brewer, I would love to be a DrinkBud :smiley: TBH, I'm kinda out of "bud" names, I'm wondering what would be the next one's name as well. After all, it's going to be my 6th bud app, and it's already kinda like my brand name. But I'm not gonna lie, I'm loving it because all of my bud apps are sharing the same vision:

• Very easy to use
    • Simple and clean UI/UX
    • Music theory under the hood
    • From beginner to pro, for everyone
    • Looots of open-source code and AudioKit
    • David Bowie lightning bolt on the app icon!

Cheers/Şerefe 🍻

• Looks great.
    My feature request would be for a randomise function for both notes and note length.

• @robosardine said:
    Looks great.
    My feature request would be for a randomise function for both notes and note length.

+1

• wexwex
    edited March 2019

A killer feature would a micro-command prompt with expressions. Wait - it's more exciting than it sounds.

It's not hard to create a little DSL (domain specific command line), essentially a list of commands and can be used as expressions.

Why can't we just have a command format like?
    [SomePartOfASequence].[SomeAction].(parameters)

A few examples:
    make a mini sequence 50 percent longer like you can do with digital audio in many apps)
    song.stretch(1.50)

add a 3 chord sequence at the third measure with a rest and different lengths, and a slight staggered offset
    location('measure', 3).addChords('C Dm Bb', 1/4, 'rest 1/2' 1/8', 1/8, ).effect('strum', 1/32)

make use of default and inferred parameters to keep it as simple as possible
    _ similar command, but location defaults to beginning, durations equal unless stated, default lengths)_
    addChords('C Dm G Bb')

add anything else the same way
    addScale(...)

create derivitive tracks without starting from scratch it you rewrite somethiong
    track1 = track2([optional range]).truncateAllNotes('1/16').[chain more commands]

sometimes helpful
    undo
    undo
    undo
    redo

This was so far mostly a domain specific command list. Expressions could do things like randomize, make calculations based on whatever etc.

have never seen it done on iOS except for a few utilities, not in a more functional app.

• TestFlight ?

• @wex, I love that idea. TBH, we, developers are literally doing the same thing but associated with UI elements for that everyone can use. Your idea though sounds like a "Max for iOS" thing instead of a StepBud feature, which BTW is totally doable. In fact, I'm sure the AudioKit people would love that idea and we might be able to do something like that completely open-source and free. That would be a real game-changer thing, as AudioKit peeps used to do :)

@rafaelollero, testflight is on the way, I'll let you guys know, don't worry :)

• Hey man, I’m sure it’s prob. outside of the scope, but one thing I’d love to see is a step sequencer there the note length (not gate length, but actual step duration, ie the “rhythm”) can be decoupled and a different length than the pitch “track”... Other than sending midi events to Senode or quantum when in note clock mode I don’t think there’s a clean solution to this...

• Hey @MonkeyDrummer you can assign different rates for each step in StepBud. I will make another video for demonstrating that feature :) BTW, in the second video, I'm changing the all steps rate with the master fader. It's already in there :)

• edited March 2019

@cem_olcay said:
    Hey @MonkeyDrummer you can assign different rates for each step in StepBud. I will make another video for demonstrating that feature :) BTW, in the second video, I'm changing the all steps rate with the master fader. It's already in there :)

Damn... now WTF am I going to bitch about then!!!??

Will the various aspects (gate, rate, pitch, etc.). be able to have different sequence lengths? That’s where da funk is at.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@cem_olcay said:
    Hey @MonkeyDrummer you can assign different rates for each step in StepBud. I will make another video for demonstrating that feature :) BTW, in the second video, I'm changing the all steps rate with the master fader. It's already in there :)

Damn... now WTF am I going to bitch about then!!!??

Oh, I know... if you can have short steps and long gates, you get essentially polyphonic output. Granted, with the new Polythemis you can filter to mono, but if you had a switch in the seq to limit to mono output, that would be useful I think to drive mono synths (assuming you don’t want slides).

You rock Cem ol’ boy!

• @MonkeyDrummer thanks man! I
    BTW, here some quick gifs for useful tricks you can do on StepBud!

chords

custom notes with virtual keyboard or hardware MIDI in

double tap to going edit mode

pressing edit to going edit mode

toggle steps

copy/paste steps

"going crazy by sliding your fingers on faders" mode footage is on the way 👀

• And this is how it looks like in edit mode in AUv3 mode.
    Fun fact: The keyboard is the open-source AudioKit Synth One's keyboard from mighty @analog_matt!!

• @cem_olcay said:
    And this is how it looks like in edit mode in AUv3 mode.
    Fun fact: The keyboard is the open-source AudioKit Synth One's keyboard from mighty @analog_matt!!

Well, now everyone will know where the crashes are from ;)

• @cem_olcay looking good! this is a definite buy for me!

• Great news everybody, StepBud is ready for beta testing!
    No more issues left (except the ones testers going to find), so ping me if you want to testflight.
    I'm planning to release it next week, the beta version is already on 1.0 quality 👌

• ]

@cem_olcay said:
    Great news everybody, StepBud is ready for beta testing!
    No more issues left (except the ones testers going to find), so ping me if you want to testflight.
    I'm planning to release it next week, the beta version is already on 1.0 quality 👌

Congrats on nearly releasing your new baby... always a joy to get to a release stage

• @cem_olcay said:

![](https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/sg/

Ping!

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@cem_olcay said:

Ping!

Shame link brings a page not found error.

• @Metalman said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@cem_olcay said:

Ping!

Shame link brings a page not found error.

Oh, don't worry, that was just the link of the screenshot in my previous post, but it somehow not complete on the quote above. Send me a DM with your testflight email if you want an invitation 👍

• Hi @cem_olcay got the beta many thanks. Sent you some feedback via the TestFlight app. Impressive app by the way there’s more than meets the eye once you dive in !

• After a few hours using this I don’t think our get much more use out of Autony ! This is definitely a step up great work Cem. One or two issues to sort out in different DAWs but it’s a fab sequencer for live work and changing parameters on the fly. This for driving and use shimmer as a effect on any piano equals ambient heaven.

• edited April 2019

So, I have a lot of bug fixes and the new test build will be coming out soon.
    BTW -- I was working on that cool feature, thanks to @david_2017 's advise.
    I exposed the master fader as an audio unit parameter, so it can be automated now, how about that :)

(⚠️ video is a bit loud ⚠️)