Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Editors for Boss Katana

I was just reading about iPads being able to edit Boss Katana apps with Touch OSC and MIDI Designer Pro templates. Has anyone tried this?

Until today, I was under the impression that because the Katana series uses non-class compliant drivers that this wasn't possible. But apparently the Yamaha USB MIDI to BlueTooth adapters make it possible.

Anyone using an iPad to interface with a Boss Katana?

Here are some related links:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=82ec2a9e384c75a78d07c5ca94170491&topic=24644.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=82ec2a9e384c75a78d07c5ca94170491&topic=25274.0

Comments

• I use it with an iPad. I only use it with sonic port into say GB. Probably not what you’re asking though. I don’t use the computer to change anything on the amp itself, in my opinion it’s fine as it is.

• @Wrecked said:
    I use it with an iPad. I only use it with sonic port into say GB. Probably not what you’re asking though. I don’t use the computer to change anything on the amp itself, in my opinion it’s fine as it is.

You are correct. That was not what I was asking. Without a computer editor, one misses out on being able to customize many aspects of the app: effects choices, full control of all available effects parameters, the parametric eq, lots of lovely aspects of this amp can't be controlled from its knobs.

So, what I was asking about is whether anyone here is using one of these iPad editor apps (MIDI Designer Pro templates) as an amp/effects editor.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Wrecked said:
    I use it with an iPad. I only use it with sonic port into say GB. Probably not what you’re asking though. I don’t use the computer to change anything on the amp itself, in my opinion it’s fine as it is.

You are correct. That was not what I was asking. Without a computer editor, one misses out on being able to customize many aspects of the app: effects choices, full control of all available effects parameters, the parametric eq, lots of lovely aspects of this amp can't be controlled from its knobs.

So, what I was asking about is whether anyone here is using one of these iPad editor apps (MIDI Designer Pro templates) as an amp/effects editor.

The reason I don’t use the computer to look into parameters etc is, my amps and previous amps are all valve affairs, some with just a volume control and tone, that does or did me fine. The Kantana sounds pretty good out the box, it’s easy to dial in what I want quickly and that’s why I got it, it’s light, it’s loud, I can DI it, I can plug it into the iPad and it’ll probably never go wrong. But yes, if you want to spend time with the computer and parameters etc that’s great too.

• @Wrecked said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Wrecked said:

The reason I don’t use the computer to look into parameters etc is, my amps and previous amps are all valve affairs, some with just a volume control and tone, that does or did me fine. The Kantana sounds pretty good out the box, it’s easy to dial in what I want quickly and that’s why I got it, it’s light, it’s loud, I can DI it, I can plug it into the iPad and it’ll probably never go wrong. But yes, if you want to spend time with the computer and parameters etc that’s great too.

It isn't about "wanting to spend time with the computer ". There are great sounds that the amp and effects can create that I want.

They simply aren't reachable from the front panel.

If you feel no need for them great.

• You’re right they’re not, I do believe it’s pretty easy to connect and explore but only to a computer not IOS. I’ve not heard of such an approach for an IPad for instance, the compliance you mentioned being the main one. Roland seem to be missing the bus on IOS, that’s something I’ve never figured out.

@espiegel123 said:

@Wrecked said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Wrecked said:

It isn't about "wanting to spend time with the computer ". There are great sounds that the amp and effects can create that I want.

• @Wrecked said:
    You’re right they’re not, I do believe it’s pretty easy to connect and explore but only to a computer not IOS. I’ve not heard of such an approach for an IPad for instance, the compliance you mentioned being the main one. Roland seem to be missing the bus on IOS, that’s something I’ve never figured out.

@espiegel123 said:

@Wrecked said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Wrecked said:

Someone has written templates for editing the Katana parameters using MIDI Designer Pro on an iPad. There are links to a discussion of that project in my first post in this thread.

Did you take a look at those discussions?

I am posting to see if anyone has tried it out.

• I didn’t have a look as I’m quite happy the way it is, I play out now and again and the way I have it set for that purpose is fine. I hope you find what you’re looking for. The only thing I’d add to it would be a foot controller to change channels.

• I can confirm that this layout for MIDI Designer Pro works to tweak Boss Katana amps (I tried it with a Katana 50w that has the current firmware):

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?&topic=25274.0

Just to see if it all worked, I had my iPad talking to my Mac (via bluetooth) and used the Mac MIDI Patch Bay app to send the MIDI to the Katana (which was connected to the Mac).

I'll be getting a bluetooth adapter for the Katana so that the iPad can talk directly to the amp.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I can confirm that this layout for MIDI Designer Pro works to tweak Boss Katana amps (I tried it with a Katana 50w that has the current firmware):

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?&topic=25274.0

Just to see if it all worked, I had my iPad talking to my Mac (via bluetooth) and used the Mac MIDI Patch Bay app to send the MIDI to the Katana (which was connected to the Mac).

I'll be getting a bluetooth adapter for the Katana so that the iPad can talk directly to the amp.

I am finally set up with the adapters needed for my iPad to talk to my Boss Katana amp and am having a lot of fun building a virtual front panel for the Katana. Mine is the 50w variety.

It'll be a bit before I have a Midi Designer Pro template to sure. But I will post it when I am all set.

To connect my iPad to the Katana, I am using a Raspberry Pi 3B+ -- which can be had for under $40 -- as a MIDI Bluetooth Receiver Router. The Katana plugs into the Raspberry Pi and my iPad connects via Bluetooth.

Directions for setting up a Raspberry Pi as a MIDI/Bluetooth router can be found at https://neuma.studio/rpi-as-midi-host.html