Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• This thing looks/sounds like Shoom on whatever the audio equivalent of steroids is!

• God I hope he talks to a Graphic Designer prior to release...

Sounds interesting though.

• @cian said:
    God I hope he talks to a Graphic Designer prior to release...

Sounds interesting though.

Haha, well said ;)

• @cian said:

Why? It seems logically laid out and functional.

• Berkeley based! WOOOHOOO!

• Howdy Dev,

Wow! Do you have a street date of release for the iOS version as of yet? Happy Spring everybody! Cheers, Elektrik Diva

• I enjoyed reading this:

“Are you using the original source code?
    No. This entire project was implemented using a scan of the original 700 manual as the spec (which was the usual Don way of doing things). You can view the original source code here, which is interesting because it seemingly contains code used for a NASA project as well:

Set ON_B700 non-zero to get a Buchla 700 PROM, or zero to get a NASA 3D Helmet Display PROM.”

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MonkeyDrummer said:

@cian said:

Why? It seems logically laid out and functional.

Because it needs a better color palette (better contrast, attention paid to color blindness) and some effective use of white space (the law of proximity is your friend app designers) to make the grouping of different pieces of functionality obvious. For example - those labels - are they labels for the things below, or the things above. Are the group buttons related to the sliders? Also - pro tip for app designers. Alignment of all your controls instantly makes your app look more professional.

And yes you could work these things out - but if an app is designed well YOU DON'T NEED TO THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS.

• edited April 2019
  • @Max23 said:
    hm I like what I can see so far
    much better than the synclavier fm thing
    you can't see shit on it ;)
    you really need to see those complex envelopes for fm ...

Somebody should have warned Synclavier about the logic of a dense grid of filled red circles against a pure black background - guaranteed to cause scanning issues in the youngest of eyes never mind the old gits most likely to give in to their nostalgia trips... :)

Ref Buchla 700 clone, those fluorescent blues and mauves don't work well against the pure black but I wouldn't class it as abhorrent.

And quite obviously I'm gagging for this one should it prove to be a decent emulation!

• only a few of those red dots are light at once, the dim color of the non-selected isn't disturbing at all ;)

• Imho it was intended and (at least for my use) I appreciate the 'big knob' focussed method.
    Unfortunately it's not as well implemented as expected - maybe they really target for the hardware thingie. But sales don't point into that direction...

Thanks btw for the Buchla details, saved me some goggles o:)

• edited April 2019
  • The original Buchla interface is better laid out than this interface. I glanced at one of these videos and could instantly tell what controls were grouped together, and have some sense of how it's controlled.

As for color palettes... There are tools out there that will generate a palette with good contrast for you. They don't even cost anything. But if you do choose a palette yourself - please go easy on blue. It is the hardest color for the eye to distinguish from black. It's rarely a good choice.

But given the choice I'd rather an interface designed for the advantages/affordances of the iPad. As Max says - touch controllable envelopes are awesome... Every synth should have them. Particularly FM ones.

• While I'm ranting - I don't understand the nostalgia for the DX7 FM synthesis method. This is one of history's UX disasters. FM7 is a much better interface for FM - on IOS 'NFM' is the synth that gets FM right. Why would anyone want to scroll through a bunch of 'algorithms'? That's a horrible way to work.

• @cian said:
    While I'm ranting - I don't understand the nostalgia for the DX7 FM synthesis method. This is one of history's UX disasters. FM7 is a much better interface for FM - on IOS 'NFM' is the synth that gets FM right. Why would anyone want to scroll through a bunch of 'algorithms'? That's a horrible way to work.

????? I don't think anyone pine's for the DX7's user interface. I don't think I've ever seen anyone wish that an app simulated the DX7's interface. It is the sound for which people have nostalgia.

• @Max23 : I suggest that you contact the developer and mention the red/green issue. Most people that don't have or know someone with red/green color blindness probably don't ever think about the issue. Maybe, he/she will be receptive to your concerns.

• I'm damn sure this aspect is mentioned in some Apple developer guidelines ;)

• @Telefunky said:
    I'm damn sure this aspect is mentioned in some Apple developer guidelines ;)

Probably. But it is rare that a developer reads through the guidelines. Kindly expressed feedback (emphasis on kindly) can go a long way.

• That's why I meantioned it ;)
    Apple is bunch of (...) in customer relations during recent years, but their developement stuff is well considered and worth reading...

• And on another note: Softube released a new Buchla module today

• @espiegel123 said:

@cian said:
    While I'm ranting - I don't understand the nostalgia for the DX7 FM synthesis method. This is one of history's UX disasters. FM7 is a much better interface for FM - on IOS 'NFM' is the synth that gets FM right. Why would anyone want to scroll through a bunch of 'algorithms'? That's a horrible way to work.

????? I don't think anyone pine's for the DX7's user interface. I don't think I've ever seen anyone wish that an app simulated the DX7's interface. It is the sound for which people have nostalgia.

Sure, but most FM synths follow it's design to some extent. Even if it's just giving you a choice of FM 'algorithms', and terms such as carrier etc. FM synthesis is actually quite straightforward, and a very nice way to design sounds - most interfaces just make it seem complicated.