Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Maschine MK3 : "Audio interface"

On the fence still on the MK3.

Let me ask a question or 2 if you have it or know.

What is the USB jack used for? Audio, Midi, Data

NI states has built in interface. Is it feasible to then use Machine as an interface for the audio of say a Circuit or incoming stereo signal and have a channel with incoming audio in a project? Of course sampling is an option but I mean can it literally be used as an audio interface?

This is big for me since we all know the goals for perpetually consolidating audio and midi signal chains and configurations.

Also, can you plug an interface into the Maschine USB? Say Novation audio box or iConnect or what ever? Can it read and sort multi midi items or audio signals and allow user to sort it out? Like say on AUM? But inside Maschine settings?

And Maschine as in and out for midi correct? No thru?

Thanks for your replies and time in advance.

I would also love to hear about the quality and usefulness of the software you get with Maschine.

Comments

• Yes it functions as a normal 2 in 2 out audio interface and MIDI interface, no you can't connect another audio or MIDI interface to it. Sound quality is pretty good overall, more or less the same as their normal audio cards. It's definitely not AUM or the like, you're limited to using it like any other soundcard.

You get a TON of great software with Maschine, in many ways that's the biggest draw of it. Monark, Massive, Rounds, a bunch of other synths, GB of samples, and all of it nicely tagged to make finding what you want super easy.

• @Tarekith said:
    Yes it functions as a normal 2 in 2 out audio interface and MIDI interface, no you can't connect another audio or MIDI interface to it. Sound quality is pretty good overall, more or less the same as their normal audio cards. It's definitely not AUM or the like, you're limited to using it like any other soundcard.

You get a TON of great software with Maschine, in many ways that's the biggest draw of it. Monark, Massive, Rounds, a bunch of other synths, GB of samples, and all of it nicely tagged to make finding what you want super easy.

Your live sets video is that done with all NI sounds and instruments?

Is the workflow similar to the app?

As for audio interface, could you see running Circuit into it and sample as needed or is the framework of workflow not possible?

I am trying to save stereo inputs on Mixer so wanting to route the Circuit thru the Maschine? Is that an option for me if I get it?

Thanks

• I've never used the app for anything other than quickly messing about a couple years ago, so not sure on that. I could definitely see using the Circuit or any other bit of hardware with it though. It's made to be the sampling hub of a groovebox type of set up, so you can feed it anything and do it pretty easy too.

• @RUST( i )K
    Realize this is from a bit ago, but if you are still wondering about the Maschine software, I personally love it, though I primarily use it to flesh out stuff I make in iMaschine (was my intro to ios music making and I still find myself coming up with some kind of useable loop anytime I spend 5 mins with it).

So from that point of reference, basically you gain the ability to expand your tracks and busses, but more useful, at least for me, is that each pad from iMaschine gets its on piano roll, so everything becomes tunable, plus you can layer samples and add any AU or VST plugins.

Additionally, Maschine can be used as a standalone app, or as a plugin itself in pretty much any DAW. You can even have additional plug-ins while using it a a plugin, allowing for almost any routing you like.

For example, I just was just using KB-1 on my iPhone to control Massive, which was added to an old iMaschine project that I exported to Maschine 2 which is itself hosted in Logic. I can then route audio/midi back to my iPad via iConnectivity, export all the parts as stems to use in Logic, etc

If you like the style of the Maschine controller, I'd say go for it. I think the software alone is worth the price of the new Micro's. I haven't done a ton of sampling using Maschine, but the software gives you all kinds of options for manipulating samples once they are imported.

If you were still on the fence, hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions about the software.

• Had one for a few months, haven't used it much yet, bit intimidated, bit confused, but more than anything a bit concerned (after the merest dabble) that if I really get into it that that might be pretty much mostly it (apart from road time) for iOS. It's really, really fucking good.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Had one for a few months, haven't used it much yet, bit intimidated, bit confused, but more than anything a bit concerned (after the merest dabble) that if I really get into it that that might be pretty much mostly it (apart from road time) for iOS. It's really, really fucking good.

Do both. I do all my jamming and mucking about on the iPad, then hoight some of the audio into Reason, and some into the MK3 for chopping and tapping. Have to say my head's been a bit turned recently by their keyboard though, does most of the things the MK3 does but with proper keys.

It works the other way too - use Maschine to make some cracking beats (what it's really good at), and import these into the iPad for use with your iOS levers.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Had one for a few months, haven't used it much yet, bit intimidated, bit confused, but more than anything a bit concerned (after the merest dabble) that if I really get into it that that might be pretty much mostly it (apart from road time) for iOS. It's really, really fucking good.

Do both. I do all my jamming and mucking about on the iPad, then hoight some of the audio into Reason, and some into the MK3 for chopping and tapping. Have to say my head's been a bit turned recently by their keyboard though, does most of the things the MK3 does but with proper keys.

It works the other way too - use Maschine to make some cracking beats (what it's really good at), and import these into the iPad for use with your iOS levers.

You're right of course. I haven't got into the sampling yet, but have already pulled out a few made beats and dropboxed them into NS2. It is a very creative FUN box of tricks with some excellent sounds (and I can't even make it recognize Kontakt and Massive half the time)....very happy to have it, but at this point savoring rather than gorging.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

You're right of course. I haven't got into the sampling yet, but have already pulled out a few made beats and dropboxed them into NS2. It is a very creative FUN box of tricks with some excellent sounds (and I can't even make it recognize Kontakt and Massive half the time)....very happy to have it, but at this point savoring rather than gorging.

What's up with Kontakt and Massive? Might be worth re-scanning your plugins, maybe they haven't been picked up, or making sure everything's up to date.

If you're on Windows watch out for the previous Komplete Kontrol update - it completely killed my PC, and I had to go through about a day of mucking about and system restoring to get it working again.

Good sampling tutorial here Boss:

• edited April 2019

@MonzoPro Big thanks for the tutorial, I certainly need it. Beautiful day here in ATX and am about to go off to Zilker and watch the big brute of a 16 year play Ultimate, but will study upon my return. Was just going through Mister @richardyot 's mini-tut on midi in Auria and was thinking when I get hold of the imaginary free airplane tickets I need to get you two over to Austin for instruction and brisket :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @MonzoPro Big thanks for the tutorial, I certainly need it. Beautiful day here in ATX and am about to go off to Zilker and watch the big brute of a 16 year play Ultimate, but will study upon my return. Was just going through Mister @richardyot 's mini-tut on midi in Auria and was thinking when I get hold of the imaginary free airplane tickets I need to get you two over to Austin for instruction and brisket :)

I'll be there Boss. No idea what Zilker and Ultimate mean, but good luck with it anyway. Ridiculously hot here today too - getting sunburned in Wales in April FFS is just downright unnatural.

• edited April 2019

I'll be honest. Native instruments are famous for abandoning their clients when they have new shiny hardware ready to come out. They practically abandoned the Z1 on Ios. Even on PC my traktor Audio 4 and my Audio 2 DJ are a bit unstable for general sound card use outside Asio. So I'd be a bit wary with NI to blindly trust them. That being said the machine gear and software is pretty fun. If I didn't already own a Push2 and wasn't invested in Ableton I might have grabbed a maschine Mk3. But at this point I think my hardware buying days are over. :) Ableton pretty much does everything I want.

P.s:- a lot of NI gear is natively HID. They only have midi by installing drivers. What this means is they don't work as midi controllers in iOS. Take the Z1. It's knobs and faders only work inside traktor DJ app and can't be mapped to anything outside that app. For AUM etc it's basically just an audio interface.

I'd check if the MK3 actually had a class compliant midi mode before I went and bought it in case you want to use it in IOS.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'll be honest. Native instruments are famous for abandoning their clients when they have new shiny hardware ready to come out.

Can’t speak for other products, but I’m extremely impressed my ten year old Maschine Mikro is still supported in their latest software updates.

• @MonzoPro said:

Good sampling tutorial here Boss:

Am making (slow happy) progress. Nothing new for you here, but I like the easy/quick way he shows the sampling...(just in case anyone else in the lonely future's looking for grist etc).

• edited April 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'll be honest. Native instruments are famous for abandoning their clients when they have new shiny hardware ready to come out.

Can’t speak for other products, but I’m extremely impressed my ten year old Maschine Mikro is still supported in their latest software updates.

i own a lot of NI gear. Audio 2, Audio 4 Dj, Traktor Z1, Traktor S2, Traktor S4..... my usage hasn't been as fantastic as yours. and yes. ive heard that the maschine hardware has been supported decently but i'm talking about the company as a whole... :/ i've basically decided i'm never every buying their hardware again. but i'm glad your stuff works atleast. maybe its a windows thing. their drivers are terrible in windows. On the flipside i'm still pretty invested in their software. Reaktor And Kontakt are the gift that keeps giving.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

i own a lot of NI gear. Audio 2, Audio 4 Dj, Traktor Z1, Traktor S2, Traktor S4..... my usage hasn't been as fantastic as yours. and yes. ive heard that the maschine hardware has been supported decently but i'm talking about the company as a whole... :/ i've basically decided i'm never every buying their hardware again. but i'm glad your stuff works atleast. maybe its a windows thing. their drivers are terrible in windows. On the flipside i'm still pretty invested in their software. Reaktor And Kontakt are the gift that keeps giving.

Working fine for me (Windows and Mac). Only thing that pissed me off was the previous Komplete Kontrol update, which kompletely screwed up my PC. They fixed this in their next update, but damage was already done.

Compare this to the new Edirol MIDI keyboard I bought, which Roland stopped supporting 6 months later. Completely abandoned, none of the drivers work now, so it became an expensive door stop. As a result I wouldn't touch a Roland/Edirol product again, ever.

• @MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Working fine for me (Windows and Mac). Only thing that pissed me off was the previous Komplete Kontrol update, which kompletely screwed up my PC. They fixed this in their next update, but damage was already done.

Compare this to the new Edirol MIDI keyboard I bought, which Roland stopped supporting 6 months later. Completely abandoned, none of the drivers work now, so it became an expensive door stop. As a result I wouldn't touch a Roland/Edirol product again, ever.

Why would the drivers stop working 6 months later ? I’m still using a novation remote zero Sl that hasn’t had a driver update since 2013. Still working even in windows 10. Is there a problem with the initial drivers ?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Why would the drivers stop working 6 months later ? I’m still using a novation remote zero Sl that hasn’t had a driver update since 2013. Still working even in windows 10. Is there a problem with the initial drivers ?

They don't work with Windows 7 or later, or recent versions of OSX. Basically they stopped providing udates.

The Edirol is picked up as a MIDI keyboard, but the pads, buttons, knobs and sliders do nothing. It's a shame, as the keyboard itself has a really nice feel - better than the Launchkey I replaced it with.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Humm

Wish I saw your post earlier

WTF Jonny?

I need you in my life get it together.

;)

• edited April 2019

@RUST( i )K said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Humm

Wish I saw your post earlier

WTF Jonny?

I need you in my life get it together.

;)

I had a whirlwind honeymoon with Maschine, pregnant with possibilities, awash with the seduction of posh noise and endless new positions, but I woke up in a room full of dirty laundry and broken dishes. To calm myself I picked up Auxy and while huddled beneath the covers wrote a souful simple melody in two minutes which I exported into NS2 and fleshed out before getting up for coffee. Polyamory is so obviously the way.....

• @MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

They don't work with Windows 7 or later, or recent versions of OSX. Basically they stopped providing udates.

The Edirol is picked up as a MIDI keyboard, but the pads, buttons, knobs and sliders do nothing. It's a shame, as the keyboard itself has a really nice feel - better than the Launchkey I replaced it with.

you can force install win 7 drivers in windows 10. its a bit hacky but works. its how i got my remote zero to work. here's a tutorial how to do it for you:-

• edited April 2019

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

you can force install win 7 drivers in windows 10. its a bit hacky but works. its how i got my remote zero to work. here's a tutorial how to do it for you:-

I'm on Windows 7 which isn't working with the Edirol. Not sure if they don't support it at all, or just later versions. I'll check the vid though, thanks.

Weirdly the keyboard is picked up and properly listed in Reason, and their NN-19 Sampler works with the controls, but nothing else gets picked up.