Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ATOM - Piano Roll - AUv3 Midi Editor - Pre Release Demo for the iPad - This is EPIC

This will be a Game Changer for anyone who already users AUM and will probably bring a lot more users in too....epic stuff from Victor

Comments

• Yeah, ummmm. This needs to be released like... NOW!!

• However, I'd say the only thing missing is PATTERN BANKS.

• Gonna love this app. I find myself composing more and more in AUM so this will be a welcome addition to the toolkit.

• OK. Huge. For us non-jamming jammers this makes AUM what it is for so many others.....really looking forward.

• edited March 2019

Very exciting indeed! I do wonder why the bias toward AUM as the only AU host, however... I mean, I love AUM as much as anyone and use it all the time, but I'll be using this in AudioBus and BM3 and all the other AU hosts we know and love. Know what I mean?

• edited March 2019

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Very exciting indeed! I do wonder why the bias toward AUM as the only AU host, however... I mean, I love AUM as much as anyone and use it all the time, but I'll be using this in AudioBus and BM3 and all the other AU hosts we know and love. Know what I mean?

AUM is infinitely more flexible than Audiobus when it comes to recording multiple channels. Also its routing is super flexible with the bus sends. Audiobus is great. It’s a great system, but if you want customizable flexibility there’s nothing like AUM to get you setup right.

I think using ATOM in BM3 would be a little overkill no? BM3s midi editor is already pretty good...just missing the Scales view in the Piano roll view.

Anyhoo...hope what i said makes sense. The more i can stay in AUM, the better my setups will be for soft and hardware synths.

• @echoopera said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

AUM is infinitely more flexible than Audiobus when it comes to recording multiple channels. Also its routing is super flexible with the bus sends. Audiobus is great. It’s a great system, but if you want customizable flexibility there’s nothing like AUM to get you setup right.

I think using ATOM in BM3 would be a little overkill no? BM3s midi editor is already pretty good...just missing the Scales view in the Piano roll view.

Anyhoo...hope what i said makes sense. The more i can stay in AUM, the better my setups will be for soft and hardware synths.

Sure, I said at the top that I love and use AUM all the time--for all the reasons you mention. (I think the MIDI routing is complex but looks to be cleaned up in the next update.) But there are many of us who flip between various AU hosts for various reasons. AB3 is absolutely killer for live use, for instance, because we can set up a setlist so easily (a game changer!). The beauty of Atom is that I can save a sequence in AUM and bring it into AB3 for live use or BM3 for slicing fun, etc. Perhaps splitting hairs but newcomers don't get this stuff right off. By over-emphasizing AUM as the home for Atom we undersell the modular opportunities that tools like Atom bring.

• edited March 2019

@lukesleepwalker said:

@echoopera said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Sure, I said at the top that I love and use AUM all the time--for all the reasons you mention. (I think the MIDI routing is complex but looks to be cleaned up in the next update.) But there are many of us who flip between various AU hosts for various reasons. AB3 is absolutely killer for live use, for instance, because we can set up a setlist so easily (a game changer!). The beauty of Atom is that I can save a sequence in AUM and bring it into AB3 for live use or BM3 for slicing fun, etc. Perhaps splitting hairs but newcomers don't get this stuff right off. By over-emphasizing AUM as the home for Atom we undersell the modular opportunities that tools like Atom bring.

iOS makes music making so much fun. Bless these devs for their great tools. 🙏🏼💕👊🏼™️

One thing i will love is seeing the Piano Roll alongside the synth knobs in AUM.

• Is this the audioveek one?

• @gregsmith said:
    Is this the audioveek one?

Yep. It was codename 'Piano Roll'

... Now it's "Atom | Piano Roll"

• Hmm, I guess I'll have to wait and see until it's released but how does one set the default velocity for the notes that are drawn onto the grid?

Does it 'remember' the length and velocity of last drawn event when adding additional events like for example GarageBand does? (I've actually grown to like the piano-roll editor in GarageBand especially on the iPhone).

• edited March 2019

Atom and Photon together
    ... like ...
    peanut butter and jelly

• Surely the iOS music app developer crowd has by now run out of particle names 😉

• @SevenSystems said:
    Surely the iOS music app developer crowd has by now run out of particle names 😉

The Quarks alone have Up, Down, Top, Bottom, Strange, Charmed
    along with their antiparticle pairs

;P (I'm sure you know)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_particles

• @audiblevideo said:

@SevenSystems said:

;P (I'm sure you know)

Sure I know... but should the next MIDI sequencer AU really be called "Strange"? 😁

• This is really exciting to see an AUv3 Piano Roll editor. It’s great that he started here. The next two years is going to be great for iOS music making. Imagine having the flexibility of Max4Live style devices on iOS. Bram has something planned which is laying the groundwork for such things. Maybe @blueveek and @brambos should work together on such a foundational platform for iOS. Could be magical 🤪

• Give me some of that sweet midi magic.

• Looking forward :)
    So on release does this enable sharing between hosts, does it have built in sessions saving and loading? Remote triggering? any AU parameters available etc?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

Wait.

@blueveek, This can’t be as AUM centric as Doug makes it out in the beginning of the video, can it?? It should be fine in any host, right? While I love AUM and Ape Matrix, I gravitate to AudioBus almost exclusively these days. And, I like to think that I’ll be able to save a preset and jump over to a different host if the situation warrants it.

• It’ll be even more useful when AUM is updated with midi only channel strips. Can’t wait. I want to do everything in AUM if possible.

• Good video!!

This should work with any host, AB and ApeM included too. Agree with all the above, and all those modular hosts have their own strengths and work very well together. Don’t forget ApeM LFO and AB app switching/output app routing, they’re iOS essentials and Atom should be perfectly useful here too.

• @SevenSystems said:

@audiblevideo said:

@SevenSystems said:

;P (I'm sure you know)

Sure I know... but should the next MIDI sequencer AU really be called "Strange"? 😁

Your AU version of Xequence should be named ‘God’.

• Hope Apple give Atom a clean bill of health on first pass once it’s gets reviewed and don’t try to “Split the Atom” If they don’t I think they will get lynched !

• @blueveek, This can’t be as AUM centric as Doug makes it out in the beginning of the video, can it?? It should be fine in any host, right? While I love AUM and Ape Matrix, I gravitate to AudioBus almost exclusively these days. And, I like to think that I’ll be able to save a preset and jump over to a different host if the situation warrants it.

No from what I know this is as AU agnostic as the next plugin. It’s just a want for heavy AUM users to have a piano roll editor/player (recorder) and have several playheads up and available for tweaking. The multiple floating windows thing isn’t an Audiobus problem/workflow :)

• @audiblevideo said:

@blueveek, This can’t be as AUM centric as Doug makes it out in the beginning of the video, can it?? It should be fine in any host, right? While I love AUM and Ape Matrix, I gravitate to AudioBus almost exclusively these days. And, I like to think that I’ll be able to save a preset and jump over to a different host if the situation warrants it.

No from what I know this is as AU agnostic as the next plugin. It’s just a want for heavy AUM users to have a piano roll editor/player (recorder) and have several playheads up and available for tweaking. The multiple floating windows thing isn’t an Audiobus problem/workflow :)

I think what @wim might be asking is does Atom save presets in the plugin or just the host?

• @gusgranite said:

@audiblevideo said:

I think what @wim might be asking is does Atom save presets in the plugin or just the host?

I wasn’t aware the presets didn’t transfer between hosts in any AU3

Do they not?

• @audiblevideo said:

Do they not?

Sessions can only transfer between hosts if the AU has a built in preset saving/loading mechanism such as photon.

• @Carnbot said:

@audiblevideo said:

Do they not?

Sessions can only transfer between hosts if the AU has a built in preset saving/loading mechanism such as photon.

Is that the presets list available in the window (wrapper) of the plugin (hamburger like icon) or the presets list inside the plugin?

I never really groked the difference between the two... a bit to wrapped up in the flow to figure it out.

• @audiblevideo said:

@Carnbot said:

@audiblevideo said:

Do they not?

Is that the presets list available in the window (wrapper) of the plugin (hamburger like icon) or the presets list inside the plugin?

I never really groked the difference between the two... a bit to wrapped up in the flow to figure it out.

It would have to have a preset loader within the AU window, not the AUM wrapper window for example.

• Really nice looking app. Thanks for the peek @thesoundtestroom
    Will Atom do cc automation as well?