Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Essential trick with iMS20/Memphis

Comments

• @johnfromberkeley posted this set of videos and tutorials a long time ago for the Korg MS-20.

http://www.pearltrees.com/johnfromberkeley/ims-20/id13829217

• edited March 2019

@gsm909 said:
    @johnfromberkeley posted this set of videos and tutorials a long time ago for the Korg MS-20.

Thanks, all my iOS bookmarks are here, but I haven’t been keeping up like I used to.

http://www.pearltrees.com/johnfromberkeley/ios-music/id11256944

• Thanks, @jonmoore ! That is what I now recall about the ESP - it only works on iMS-20 generated audio, although the regular audio input has, as you stated, exciting potential for processing other Gadgets.

Re: the onboard analog style sequencer - I tried using it but struggled due to lack of zoom on those little sequencer knobs.. The Gadget sequencer has a much faster workflow for note entry. Might reconsider in the future through.

• I'm having trouble exporting patches from the ims-20 into Memphis. Am I missing something obvious?

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@gsm909 said:
    @johnfromberkeley posted this set of videos and tutorials a long time ago for the Korg MS-20.

Thanks, all my iOS bookmarks are here, but I haven’t been keeping up like I used to.

http://www.pearltrees.com/johnfromberkeley/ios-music/id11256944

Don’t forget my WTFKnobs on the CV attenuators knobs of the iMS-20:

• edited March 2019

I have been pretty much indifferent to the iMS-20, however inspired by this thread I found this about patching it and it really opened my eyes about what it can do, so I’m now going to get it. The tutorial is in three parts, worth watching it all.

• @klownshed said:
    Worth noting that the standalone ims20 and ipolysix also include ‘analogue’ drum machines which are nice to have.

I’d love Korg to gadgetise the drum machines too as separate gadgets.

Would be nice.

• Thanks for this. This is a great starting patch. Already made a few lovely variations.

• @Multicellular said:

@klownshed said:
    Worth noting that the standalone ims20 and ipolysix also include ‘analogue’ drum machines which are nice to have.

Would be nice.

All of the drum patches are included in the gadgetised version. You can sequence these, but what Gadget needs isn't so much individual drum machine gadgets emulating the standalone's. But a drum sequencer that can allocate other gadgets as voices for it's 'pads' seems more fitting. The beauty of iMS20 is that its super DSP efficient - hence it being packaged with 7 multitimbral voices in the standalone. All of those early Korg apps are DSP efficient, so having a drum sequencer that lets you mix and match source gadgets synthesizing the percussion timbres would an ace way of enhancing Gadget overall.

• If it is so DSP efficient, how good would a polyphonic version be!

• @PhilW said:
    If it is so DSP efficient, how good would a polyphonic version be!

You can use polythemus plus multiple Memphis lanes to create a poly ims-20

• @PhilW said:
    If it is so DSP efficient, how good would a polyphonic version be!

Not as great as you might think, mainly because Odyssei/Lexingon in Gadget and the likes of Moog Modal D, Zeeon and Arturia SEM V are so good as AUv3 options (speaking specifically about their abilities to mimic hardware analog synths). iMS20 is a reasonable facsimile of a real MS20 but it's filter is nowhere near as good. It was a great emulation for the time, when it was first introduced as part of the Legacy Collection (DAW plugins) in 2004. But DSP knowledge regarding filter design has moved on a great deal since then.

Personally, I find iMS20/memphis great when used to its strengths, which is making the most of its modulation routings for otherworldly timbres. Plus the ability to process other Gadget channels is something unique within the 'closed walls' of the Gadget garden.

• @jonmoore said:

@Multicellular said:

@klownshed said:

Would be nice.

All of the drum patches are included in the gadgetised version. You can sequence these, but what Gadget needs isn't so much individual drum machine gadgets emulating the standalone's. But a drum sequencer that can allocate other gadgets as voices for it's 'pads' seems more fitting. The beauty of iMS20 is that its super DSP efficient - hence it being packaged with 7 multitimbral voices in the standalone. All of those early Korg apps are DSP efficient, so having a drum sequencer that lets you mix and match source gadgets synthesizing the percussion timbres would an ace way of enhancing Gadget overall.

Informative. thanks

• On the standalone iMS-20 app I believed that the drum channels were essentially ‘frozen’ instances, or effectively recordings, of the single iMS-20 synth channel.

• @u0421793 said:
    On the standalone iMS-20 app I believed that the drum channels were essentially ‘frozen’ instances, or effectively recordings, of the single iMS-20 synth channel.

I hadn't realized that Korg froze the synth instance after you edited the sound (and it's been many years since I made use of the song mode in iMS20). Makes a lot of sense, as even with the DSP efficiency of iMS20, 7 parts would have been taxing for 2010 generation iPads (when Korg released the iMS20).

Thanks for correcting me on that Ian.

• @u0421793 said:
    Don’t forget my WTFKnobs on the CV attenuators knobs of the iMS-20:

Will totally add.

• @SyAbleton said:
    I'm having trouble exporting patches from the ims-20 into Memphis. Am I missing something obvious?

In case anyone else feels as dumb as I did, you have highlight the patch and then click the share button below. Picture attached.

• I just realised something odd I’d never seen happen before. Maybe it’s new, maybe it’s always been there and I’d missed it. I noticed it in Memphis but just checked in iMS-20 and it’s the same.

On the patch panel, it appears possible to twin some connections – have two wires into the same jack. Pick a source and a destination, and pick another destination and draw it to the same source. The source now has two wires. When did this start to be possible?

• @u0421793 said:
    I just realised something odd I’d never seen happen before. Maybe it’s new, maybe it’s always been there and I’d missed it. I noticed it in Memphis but just checked in iMS-20 and it’s the same.

On the patch panel, it appears possible to twin some connections – have two wires into the same jack. Pick a source and a destination, and pick another destination and draw it to the same source. The source now has two wires. When did this start to be possible?

I dunno, but I just realized a bit ago too. It opens up a lot of possibilities.

• @u0421793 Nice find, and you don’t have to stop at two wires :)

• I just wish they would have added an input jack for the PW in iMS-20/Memphis to 'complete it' and maybe add an option for oscillator sync too :D (And optional polyphony).

• And today I realised that the External Signal Professor in Memphis in Gadget can take any other Gadget channel as an input.

• @u0421793 said:
    And today I realised that the External Signal Professor in Memphis in Gadget can take any other Gadget channel as an input.

That was one of the first things I tried when the the Memphis Gadget arrived :)
    (And that made me also wish for Track2Track Routing or routing a Gadget Track to Bilbao or Vancouver to sampling or the Audio Gadgets for further processing or when 5 IFXs are not enough to new 'Bus Track').

• @Samu said:

@u0421793 said:
    And today I realised that the External Signal Professor in Memphis in Gadget can take any other Gadget channel as an input.

(And that made me also wish for Track2Track Routing or routing a Gadget Track to Bilbao or Vancouver to sampling or the Audio Gadgets for further processing or when 5 IFXs are not enough to new 'Bus Track').

@Samu and @u0421793 : any chance you could post some vids of this trick in action?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

@u0421793 said:

@Samu and @u0421793 : any chance you could post some vids of this trick in action?

Doesn’t it work for you?
    These are the connections you have to make. Turn up the “signal level” (top right) a little bit. If you want to use the lo/hi freq cuts beneath it you must plug the right cable after the “band pass filter”).

Just a short explanation, a “WhatTheFuckDoThoseKnobsDo” vid by Ian would be much better ;)

It’s a great feature, I should use it more often.

• @R_2 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

@u0421793 said:

Doesn’t it work for you?
    These are the connections you have to make. Turn up the “signal level” (top right) a little bit. If you want to use the lo/hi freq cuts beneath it you must plug the right cable after the “band pass filter”).

Just a short explanation, a “WhatTheFuckDoThoseKnobsDo” vid by Ian would be much better ;)

Tx for the picture. The video request was mostly to hear examples of the results from people that have been using the technique.

• @espiegel123 said:

@R_2 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

@u0421793 said:

Doesn’t it work for you?

Tx for the picture. The video request was mostly to hear examples of the results from people that have been using the technique.

Forgive my ignorance, but how does one get to/find '04 Audio Input':

My factory 04 is 'Bright Bass'....I'm sure it's elementary :)

• @espiegel123 I see. If you use Gadget and enjoy stuff like Drexciya (which i remember you wrote about) you’ll appreciate the ‘aqua-sounds’ coming out of it B) No brainer at half price.

@JohnnyGoodyear It’s my user program, saved after setting it up for processing other channels.

• @R_2 said:
    @espiegel123 I see. If you use Gadget and enjoy stuff like Drexciya (which i remember you wrote about) you’ll appreciate the ‘aqua-sounds’ coming out of it B) No brainer at half price.

@JohnnyGoodyear It’s my user program, saved after setting it up for processing other channels.

Can you post some examples. I am very curious to hear the sorts of sounds that you are talking about. I have wondered if iMS20 could be put to use for Drexciya-like tones but have struck out so far. (Having some luck with OdysseI)