Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Triggering multiple midi patterns or "scenes" in AUM / AB3

I believe I am not alone here finding "the perfect setup for iOS production", whatever that means :smile:. There are many pieces of puzzles in audio units-oriented setup that were missing and we finally have them - note generators, samplers, MIDI tools...

Hopefully the last piece I am missing is some way to trigger various "scenes", or "snapshots" to be able to build composition. To explain what I mean I will give an example:
Imagine I have a simple session in AUM with three instruments
1. Rusimaker, controlled by Rozeta XOX for drums
2. Troublemaker, controlled by Rozeta Bassline for bass
3. Phasemaker (or any other synth), controlled by StepPolyArp, for lead.

I may have created various variations of drum patterns in XOX - 1. only kick 2. with snare 3. transition rolls, 4. added hi-hats, etc... Then also some variation patterns of bass and synth melodies.
I would like to easily switch between "scenes", which means triggering a specific combination of patterns of all instruments. Example:
Scene 1:
1. only kick | 2. no bass | 3. evolving synth
Scene 2:
1. kick and snare | 2. evolving bass | 3. synth melody 1
Scene 3:
1. no drums | 2. bass melody 1 | 3. synth melody 1

I believe you got the point. If you're familiar with ableton, that's actually the rightmost column where you can trigger all clips in a row.

Yes, external MIDI sequencers like Xequence or Modstep (as I personally prefer scene-based sequencing) comes to the rescue. You can create MIDI track for each instrument and send notes to Rozeta or PC message to StepPolyArp to switch patterns. In Xequence, you can even create a drum map of notes that will be named according to numbers of patterns in Rozeta (not sure if StepPolyArp can switch patterns also based on notes, not only PC?). Modstep also can have custom "drum" maps so you can have named notes to easily distinguish which pattern you're triggering.

So far quite good, but still not "perfect" :smile: There are some drawbacks, as Xequence and Modstep are not audio units:

• There is no state saving. Xequence has support AB3 state saving, which is awesome, but at least for me, this would be the only reason to complicate my setup with AB3, as an addition to AUM. For Modstep, that would mean to also always take care if I have opened a session that is matching the AUM/AB session.
  • Xequence is a linear sequencer = not really useful for live playing and also it's harder to quickly try out various combinations of patterns for each instrument.

As I am writing this, I've got an idea to use one StepPolyArp instance as a "main controller" which will control switching patterns of all other MIDI generators in the session. It seems doable, as StepPolyArp allows you to assign specific MIDI channel to each note so you can simultaneously trigger patterns from many generators. Also, every pattern of StepPolyArp can have it's own note mapping, so the only limitation is the number of patterns that can be switched simultaneously.
One disadvantage I see here is that it may be a little chaotic and unintuitive - you only see note names in the left column in StepPolyArp and no channel number. So you'd need to always open the note editation popup to find out, which instrument and which pattern you're actually controlling. So still not "perfect", but theoretically should work :smile:

You may ask why I don't simply record MIDI into Modstep clips (or any other MIDI app that can record) and trigger them? One reason is that I have tried it and usually get very weird results, mostly related to timing - some notes were shifted "outside" the pattern, some were missing,... But most importantly, I would like to keep the ideas where I created them. That means, within the the generators like Rozeta or StepPolyArp... It's then much easier for editing and of course, some tools (like Rozeta bassline) are simply better suited for some use cases (monophonic with accents and glides) and some for others (StepPolyArp - arpeggiators, XOX - drum patterns,...). And last but not least: routing and then recording into separate clips is an additional work that has no creative purpose (yes, mapping the "main controller" StepPolyArp would be probably the same).

Sorry for lengthy post, but hopefully I also inspired someone who maybe didn't even think about such possibilities, I like to push boundaries and try what's possible with the apps we have :smile:

If you have any tips on apps or workflows to achieve something similar or you have a different approach but still think it's worth noting, please, share with us! :smile:

Thanks!

Comments

• You might want to checkout the Camelot Pro by Audio Modeling and KeyStage by Ali Gokturk apps which attempt to provide functionality similar to MainStage for iOS.

• @InfoCheck said:
    You might want to checkout the Camelot Pro by Audio Modeling and KeyStage by Ali Gokturk apps which attempt to provide functionality similar to MainStage for iOS.

Thanks a lot, didn't know about these apps. Camelot looks really interesting, however, there's still the inconvenience of no state saving, similar to Modstep. KeyStage look like oriented on keyboard players, not sure if it would fit. But I really appreciate broadening my perspective. If you ask people, you always find new interesting apps you never heard before (and I became quite an appaholic during the last year :smiley: )

• Hi,
    have you considered something like 'StreamByter'? It's a bit abstract, but it's an AU and extremely powerful.
    You could have your controller (be it a keyboard- or pad-thingy, or maybe xseqence-pads?...any will do)
    connected directly to StreamByter and it can send out whatever midi-message you like.
    Short example: my Akai LPK25 sends out notes on channel 2, StepPolyArp wants CC21 values 0-15 for pattern change. This is the StreamByter rule:

9X 30 = BX 15 00 # note-on C3 = CC 21 val 00
    9X 31 = BX 15 01 # nte-on C#3 = CC 21 val 01
    and so on.

So whenever I press C on my keybard all SPA's switch to pattern 1, on C# its pattern 2 and so on.
    This is very basic, you can have StreamByter send out multiple events on different channels at the same time.
    Combined with AUM's Midi-routing and -filtering capabilities a powerful tool that is.
    cheers

• Yes, this is one way i’ve been using Steppolyarp, as a controller trigger for other sequencers. It does work well. At least until a better option comes along.

• @electronicsfordogs said:
    Hi,
    have you considered something like 'StreamByter'? It's a bit abstract, but it's an AU and extremely powerful.
    You could have your controller (be it a keyboard- or pad-thingy, or maybe xseqence-pads?...any will do)
    connected directly to StreamByter and it can send out whatever midi-message you like.
    Short example: my Akai LPK25 sends out notes on channel 2, StepPolyArp wants CC21 values 0-15 for pattern change. This is the StreamByter rule:

and so on.

So whenever I press C on my keybard all SPA's switch to pattern 1, on C# its pattern 2 and so on.
    This is very basic, you can have StreamByter send out multiple events on different channels at the same time.
    Combined with AUM's Midi-routing and -filtering capabilities a powerful tool that is.
    cheers

Yes, I was already tempted to click "buy" on StreamByter several times :) But I always realised, I would only include it into my workflow, if I would need to touch the StreamByter code only rarely (write once, use many times). I can imagine programming a sequences in there and then trigger them by e.g. a matrix of buttons from Xequencer Drum AUv3, but that sounds too nerdy even for me :smile:
    But I believe I will end up with some StreamByter scripts if I include a MIDI controller, but currently I am trying to focus on the software part.
    Anyhow, thanks a lot for mentioning this! (at least I started thinking about creating a matrix of pattern triggers in Xequence pads... Every day a new challenge to try out :wink: )

• Two apps on the horizon is a clip triggering app mentioned by audioveek and mozaic, a scripting app by Brambos which will make this a lot easier. So it's good that more options are on the way. :)

• @InfoCheck said:
    You might want to checkout the Camelot Pro by Audio Modeling and KeyStage by Ali Gokturk apps which attempt to provide functionality similar to MainStage for iOS.

@electronicsfordogs said:
    Hi,

and so on.

cheers

These all look solid, good recommendations

• @Carnbot said:
    Yes, this is one way i’ve been using Steppolyarp, as a controller trigger for other sequencers. It does work well. At least until a better option comes along.

Ohh, nice to see someone else also using it :smile: I tried it yesterday and it looks like it works. What is your experience with being organised - knowing which note triggers which pattern? What do you think about combining it with Xequence Pads? The point is, you can put a name on each pad there and maybe even make it ableton like style - only the right row would play whole scenes and others would simply play different presets you can combine. You can even leave the clip intentionally empty.
    There's one limitation that immediately came to my mind: you wouldn't see, which pattern is currently playing. It seems that Xequence pads can't receive MIDI, or at least they don't highlight the note they receive. Otherwise, there would be a change to "hack" it somehow to show the playing note.

@Carnbot said:
    Two apps on the horizon is a clip triggering app mentioned by audioveek and mozaic, a scripting app by Brambos which will make this a lot easier. So it's good that more options are on the way. :)

Yes I am very interested in Audioveek's clip triggering app, but I am not sure if any development even started? I believe Audioveek is currently focused on the piano roll (which can also help a lot). But this would obviously help a lot, hacking it via apps that should serve different purpose will always be pain.

But Mozaic... OMG!! I obviously missed this biggest gamechanger of this year, if Brambos manage to release it as planned. This sounds like a real swiss army knife for MIDI on iOS, I just read his article but I need to go through the discussion on it...

It reminds me that I had similar idea for an app in my mind in the past: something like touchOSC, but as AUv3, where each custom control preset is an actual AUv3 state. So you could have customisable controls specific to your session in one, or even multiple instances. This may be a little tricky because of the fluidity of GUI which is obviously one of the biggest challenges for AU plugins. Giving users the ability to edit it brings another dimension of complexity. Probably this is the reason why Brambos doesn't want the ability to customize the UI, only the scripts.

• @skrat said:
    Ohh, nice to see someone else also using it :smile: I tried it yesterday and it looks like it works. What is your experience with being organised -

Yeah, at the moment, not very :) Just enough usually to record enough of a sequence which I then transfer the audio to desktop to be edited together later on. But you could do whole tracks this way but it's quite laborious. I save SPA presets with names giving a clue as the setup and also name the CC controllers in SPA as to what they are controlling. I asked the SPA developer if we could have pattern naming and he liked the idea, but not sure if he'll put it in any time soon. That would help a lot. i don't have Xeq-pads yet but that would be a good way.

I'll probably try this technique with Thesys too and I think, although a bit fiddly, offers a bit more options for live control than SPA.

• edited March 2019

I actually am that nerd that coded the whole Xeq pads to Streambyter to StepPolyArp. It works. It does exactly what you'd like it to do. But the scripts involved are so tied-in to MIDI timing, millisecond triggers count, and there is a magic order in which to send notes/cc. It's not as straightforward as you'd think.

• @Zetagy said:
    I actually am that nerd that coded the whole Xeq pads to Streambyter to StepPolyArp. It works. It does exactly what you'd like it to do. But the scripts involved are so tied-in to MIDI timing, millisecond triggers count, and there is a magic order in which to send notes/cc. It's not as straightforward as you'd think.

not shure what you mean by Midi timing, but SPA and the Rozettas change pattern at the end of the running pattern, so no timing issues here. I just push the button/pad/key anytime during a part of a song and at the end of that pattern I'll get to the bridge/verse/whatsoever, with perfect timing.
    Only drawback is -as others mentioned- you'll need to find a way to organize yourself, as with a few tracks and a few patterns things can get quite confusing.
    Or am I missing something?
    cheers
    btw.: in SPA there's a setting to change patterns via midi immediately (me like way more!!)

• I’ve only skimmed the thread, but two things come to mind.

I know the OP didn’t especially want to add AudioBus into the equation, but I think the AudioBus Midi IAP could bring a lot to the table. It lets you control multiple things in multiple apps with a single midi message. Send a single note, turn that into a program change for one, send a cc to another, notes to another, activate an app, start or stop it, etc.

Secondly, apps like Midi Designer Pro 2 can be used to easily build control surfaces to send any midi messages you need. You could easily set up a set of triggers for clips, and label, and color them any way you want. Each trigger can send multiple messages, or even streambyter scripts.

• @wim said:
    I’ve only skimmed the thread, but two things come to mind.

I know the OP didn’t especially want to add AudioBus into the equation, but I think the AudioBus Midi IAP could bring a lot to the table. It lets you control multiple things in multiple apps with a single midi message. Send a single note, turn that into a program change for one, send a cc to another, notes to another, activate an app, start or stop it, etc.

Secondly, apps like Midi Designer Pro 2 can be used to easily build control surfaces to send any midi messages you need. You could easily set up a set of triggers for clips, and label, and color them any way you want. Each trigger can send multiple messages, or even streambyter scripts.

Yes I was thinking about that, only similar app to MIDI Designer I already own is TouchOSC and there's a problem that you need to prepare your layout in a Mac/Windows app and then upload it to the device, which is very inflexible if you want to make it custom per session... MIDI Designer Pro 2 seems to be editable directly on iPad which is a little plus, but still I am afraid it will be quite a lot of work and switching back and forth between the apps.

But this reminds me that I was unable to perform a quite simple task in AUM and I don't see anything like that in AB either: I want to receive a note on a channel, let's say C3 on channel 1 and transform that to e.g notes D3 on channel 1 and E3 on channel 3. Is there any MIDI AU that can do this easily? Streambyter is of course an option, but sounds like overkill for such simple thing. This could help while using some "inflexible" (but still usable) pad matrix in e.g. MIDI Designer or TouchOSC, but at least I could choose which pad triggers which pattern(s)...

• @skrat said:

@wim said:
    I’ve only skimmed the thread, but two things come to mind.

Yes I was thinking about that, only similar app to MIDI Designer I already own is TouchOSC and there's a problem that you need to prepare your layout in a Mac/Windows app and then upload it to the device, which is very inflexible if you want to make it custom per session... MIDI Designer Pro 2 seems to be editable directly on iPad which is a little plus, but still I am afraid it will be quite a lot of work and switching back and forth between the apps.

But this reminds me that I was unable to perform a quite simple task in AUM and I don't see anything like that in AB either: I want to receive a note on a channel, let's say C3 on channel 1 and transform that to e.g notes D3 on channel 1 and E3 on channel 3. Is there any MIDI AU that can do this easily? Streambyter is of course an option, but sounds like overkill for such simple thing. This could help while using some "inflexible" (but still usable) pad matrix in e.g. MIDI Designer or TouchOSC, but at least I could choose which pad triggers which pattern(s)...

The audeonic mfxconvert app could work for this use case? Certainly converts incoming notes and channels to different outgoing notes and channels quite easily.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    The audeonic mfxconvert app could work for this use case? Certainly converts incoming notes and channels to different outgoing notes and channels quite easily.

I don't own it yet but I've just checked the description in the app store - looks like it can convert a note, but not into multiple notes. Do you have it installed and could you please just take a look if by any chance there's some hidden option? 🙏😇

• It does not support converting multiple notes in one instance. But you can always add multiple instances!

• I'm so confused haha all this midi to other stuff 🤣 we need tutorial makers! Where are you all hiding

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    It does not support converting multiple notes in one instance. But you can always add multiple instances!

Ahhhh, mindblown! 😄 thank a lot! Will try and let you updated about some crazy stuff I came up with.

• edited November 2019

Bumping this post after 7 months, still no convenient solution for "scene" kind of MIDI looping? I still miss a piece of app in our modular environment that would allow me to conveniently store currently looped idea, make a snapshot and move on, either adjust the existing loop or start with something completely else, experiment with combinations of multiple ideas, and then either record to linear sequencer or just prepare for live performance.

Lot of apps and AUv3s have their own pattern switching built-in, but I can't find something that would serve as an main "orchestrator", ideally controllable by a grid pad controller (Launchpad, AKAI APC40,...)

I know there is some new mosaic script to record MIDI and replay, but it does not seem very convenient to me... :neutral:

• edited November 2019

BlocsWave (plus GrooveBox for midi lovers) export into GroupTheLoop.
    If you need to tweak some AU...or fx, then GarageBand.
    If you need more then Ableton.
    If you don't like my solutions don't start a topic with...

I believe I am not alone here finding "the perfect setup for iOS production", whatever that means :smile:.

Some of us found it. :naughty:
    :trollface: Just Kidding... there is no perfect setup, just a lot of options and more or less the same amount of limitations... so try to don't get mad until you find the most satisfying solution for your needs, mate. In the end the journey has also rewards :wink:

• edited November 2019

ZenBeats sounds what you need...
    Currently you can’t record or route to external midi port the output of the midiFX like Rozeta, there are workarounds if you need.
    But since ZenBeats can host the instruments you need and play nice with Rozeta ,it seems perfect for what you want

• edited November 2019

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    BlocsWave (plus GrooveBox for midi lovers) export into GroupTheLoop.
    If you need to tweak some AU...or fx, then GarageBand.
    If you need more then Ableton.
    If you don't like my solutions don't start a topic with...

I believe I am not alone here finding "the perfect setup for iOS production", whatever that means :smile:.

Some of us found it. :naughty:
    :trollface: Just Kidding... there is no perfect setup, just a lot of options and more or less the same amount of limitations... so try to don't get mad until you find the most satisfying solution for your needs, mate. In the end the journey has also rewards :wink:

No hard feelings, just wanted to know if I didn't miss some hidden gem, I am not following this forum so closely and there is a lot of apps released every week, maybe there was something suitable for me in the meantime.

Just FYI - I already started developing such app, but as it's not a priority, I am realistic that it will probably never reach the production stage ;) But I have quite clear idea how it should behave and look like, pretty specific list of features for MVP (and endless list of possible improvements ;) ), I already studied quite a lot about iOS audio apps development and did some prototype apps. Still an incredible amount of work needed, unless I quit my job and spend at least 6 months full time work on it, it simply won't happen.
    I would be much happier if another, more talented and experienced developer, would feel the same need as me ;) I even know that the developer of Atom already announced such launcher app but probably because of issues with Atom itself he didn't manage to finish it.

Your tips are of course fine, thank you for them, although I know them and they're not "the perfect setup" for me :) But maybe they'll inspire other people reading this discussion and will be "the perfect setup" for them, so please, don't feel bad for giving advice to picky people like me :)

@Korakios said:
    ZenBeats sounds what you need...
    Currently you can’t record or route to external midi port the output of the midiFX like Rozeta, there are workarounds if you need.
    But since ZenBeats can host the instruments you need and play nice with Rozeta ,it seems perfect for what you want

Thanks for the tip, I never liked Stagelight but it seems that some things have moved on and maybe I'll get over the cluttered UI and their weird business model, if it works for me. The biggest thing I revealed now is that you can MIDI learn playback of the clips, which is a big thing to me. Thanks again!

• @skrat I was kidding...
    iOS needs people pushing boundaries (to keep them short there are weirdos like me :lol: )
    So keep bringing ideas and fresh discussion, all of us can learn from it.

<3

• @skrat said:
    I believe I am not alone here finding "the perfect setup for iOS production", whatever that means :smile:. There are many pieces of puzzles in audio units-oriented setup that were missing and we finally have them - note generators, samplers, MIDI tools...

Hopefully the last piece I am missing is some way to trigger various "scenes", or "snapshots" to be able to build composition. To explain what I mean I will give an example:
    Imagine I have a simple session in AUM with three instruments
    1. Rusimaker, controlled by Rozeta XOX for drums
    2. Troublemaker, controlled by Rozeta Bassline for bass
    3. Phasemaker (or any other synth), controlled by StepPolyArp, for lead.

I may have created various variations of drum patterns in XOX - 1. only kick 2. with snare 3. transition rolls, 4. added hi-hats, etc... Then also some variation patterns of bass and synth melodies.
    I would like to easily switch between "scenes", which means triggering a specific combination of patterns of all instruments. Example:
    Scene 1:
    1. only kick | 2. no bass | 3. evolving synth
    Scene 2:
    1. kick and snare | 2. evolving bass | 3. synth melody 1
    Scene 3:
    1. no drums | 2. bass melody 1 | 3. synth melody 1

I believe you got the point. If you're familiar with ableton, that's actually the rightmost column where you can trigger all clips in a row.

Yes, external MIDI sequencers like Xequence or Modstep (as I personally prefer scene-based sequencing) comes to the rescue. You can create MIDI track for each instrument and send notes to Rozeta or PC message to StepPolyArp to switch patterns. In Xequence, you can even create a drum map of notes that will be named according to numbers of patterns in Rozeta (not sure if StepPolyArp can switch patterns also based on notes, not only PC?). Modstep also can have custom "drum" maps so you can have named notes to easily distinguish which pattern you're triggering.

So far quite good, but still not "perfect" :smile: There are some drawbacks, as Xequence and Modstep are not audio units:

• There is no state saving. Xequence has support AB3 state saving, which is awesome, but at least for me, this would be the only reason to complicate my setup with AB3, as an addition to AUM. For Modstep, that would mean to also always take care if I have opened a session that is matching the AUM/AB session.
    • Xequence is a linear sequencer = not really useful for live playing and also it's harder to quickly try out various combinations of patterns for each instrument.

As I am writing this, I've got an idea to use one StepPolyArp instance as a "main controller" which will control switching patterns of all other MIDI generators in the session. It seems doable, as StepPolyArp allows you to assign specific MIDI channel to each note so you can simultaneously trigger patterns from many generators. Also, every pattern of StepPolyArp can have it's own note mapping, so the only limitation is the number of patterns that can be switched simultaneously.
    One disadvantage I see here is that it may be a little chaotic and unintuitive - you only see note names in the left column in StepPolyArp and no channel number. So you'd need to always open the note editation popup to find out, which instrument and which pattern you're actually controlling. So still not "perfect", but theoretically should work :smile:

You may ask why I don't simply record MIDI into Modstep clips (or any other MIDI app that can record) and trigger them? One reason is that I have tried it and usually get very weird results, mostly related to timing - some notes were shifted "outside" the pattern, some were missing,... But most importantly, I would like to keep the ideas where I created them. That means, within the the generators like Rozeta or StepPolyArp... It's then much easier for editing and of course, some tools (like Rozeta bassline) are simply better suited for some use cases (monophonic with accents and glides) and some for others (StepPolyArp - arpeggiators, XOX - drum patterns,...). And last but not least: routing and then recording into separate clips is an additional work that has no creative purpose (yes, mapping the "main controller" StepPolyArp would be probably the same).

Sorry for lengthy post, but hopefully I also inspired someone who maybe didn't even think about such possibilities, I like to push boundaries and try what's possible with the apps we have :smile:

If you have any tips on apps or workflows to achieve something similar or you have a different approach but still think it's worth noting, please, share with us! :smile:

Thanks!

Any solutions 2 years after?

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz Won't LK do this?
    Helium has a slightly different take on this workflow?
    Atom instances controlling Atom instances?
    What's missing with these options?

• Yes, LK and Atom2 are pretty decent options nowadays. I have switched to Drambo for AUM, which gives a lot more flexibility and although still tuning the "perfect" setup, that's more because of my slowness than because of the tools ;)

• @soundtemple said:
    @Tamir_Raz_Mataz Won't LK do this?

I guess it would do the trick. I want to have a setup whereby every “scene” of LK will change presets of few synths in Aum.

It’s just tedious to program in Aum. I wish there was a more elegant solution.

• @skrat said:
    Yes, LK and Atom2 are pretty decent options nowadays. I have switched to Drambo for AUM, which gives a lot more flexibility and although still tuning the "perfect" setup, that's more because of my slowness than because of the tools ;)

I suggest a hive mind for the perfect setup. We can build something solid

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@soundtemple said:
    @Tamir_Raz_Mataz Won't LK do this?

I guess it would do the trick. I want to have a setup whereby every “scene” of LK will change presets of few synths in Aum.

It’s just tedious to program in Aum. I wish there was a more elegant solution.

I’m using LK and it works well for the use case you suggest. Just set your CCs in AUM using those handy parameter learn function and away you go recording to LK. The scene follow actions are ace and new enhancements coming very soon. Indispensable to me now!