Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• edited March 2019

Pretty cool stuff for raw, dirty industrial sound.... if it is anything like what RetroSound messes with. Anyone downloaded and tried it?

• I did.
    It was pretty raw sounding, for sure.

It needs pretty much all the standard features still.
    Like preset saving, IAA/AB/AU, or at least internal recording and Files access.
    Midi, Link, etc. also missing.

• I guess that's why it's free? :D

• @aquasloth said:
    I guess that's why it's free? :D

I dunno.
    Ever hear of AudioKit?
    :D

• This app is a big background battery drainer. No way to turn off background process.

• Yeah downloaded, tried it and it feels very... unfinished. Find it lacking in most areas in fact...

I like the thought though.... trying to re-create more rare synths instead of another Moog, Prophet or any other well- known hardware synth. An iPad Polivoks properly made could be a blast for us more industrial/EBM synth nerds IMHO.

• would be nice to play it with a MIDI keyboard

• edited April 2019

Another video of the hardware. Really cool stuff. Thanks RetroSound!

I am going to drop the developer an email to see if there are any further plans around this app. Perhaps an interest in it could trigger some development!

• @CracklePot said:

@aquasloth said:

I dunno.
    Ever hear of AudioKit?

Yeh it’s that pretty cool thing that doesn’t have AU ....

• Great news!

Alexei, the developer is planning on further
    Improving the app and is following this thread! He will post in the forum when a new version is on its way!

😊👍

• yet.> @BiancaNeve said:

@CracklePot said:

@aquasloth said:

I dunno.
    Ever hear of AudioKit?

yet. The AudioKit developers are working hard to integrate AUv3 support into their code so other developers can have the opportunity to create AUv3 apps with it.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@CracklePot said:

@aquasloth said:

I dunno.
    Ever hear of AudioKit?

Come on. That could describe many apps.
    You would need to be more specific than that.

You could have been describing Samplr, or even Fugue Machine up until a few days ago.

• edited April 2019

@CracklePot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@CracklePot said:

@aquasloth said:

I dunno.
    Ever hear of AudioKit?

You could have been describing Samplr, or even Fugue Machine up until a few days ago.

Seemed as if this FREE app was being criticised for lacking standards like Au and that AudioKit was being held up as a panacea

I’m not knocking the AudioKit folks, they are doing a great job providing mainly free stuff.

• edited April 2019

@BiancaNeve said:

@CracklePot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@CracklePot said:

@aquasloth said:

I dunno.
    Ever hear of AudioKit?

Seemed as if this FREE app was being criticised for lacking standards like Au and that AudioKit was being held up as a panacea

I’m not knocking the AudioKit folks, they are doing a great job providing mainly free stuff.

If you are referring to my first post, that wasn’t me be critical.
    Just stating the facts.
    It actually is missing all that stuff, free or not.
    But considering what AudioKit gives away for free, free is not an excuse, as suggested by the water sloth.
    But since it is free, it needs no excuses. But I imagine it will be hard to find use in this app for most people, with it missing pretty much all of the standard features users depend on.

• @CracklePot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@CracklePot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@CracklePot said:

@aquasloth said:

I dunno.
    Ever hear of AudioKit?

Just stating the facts.
    But considering what AudioKit gives away for free, free is not an excuse, as suggested by the water sloth.
    But since it is free, it needs no excuses. But I imagine it will be hard to find use in this app for most people, with it missing pretty much all of the standard features users depend on.

Give the dev some time😉.

• @flo26 said:

@CracklePot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@CracklePot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@CracklePot said:

@aquasloth said:

I dunno.
    Ever hear of AudioKit?

Just stating the facts.

Give the dev some time😉.

They can take as long as they need. I hope this one developes more, and leads to more apps.
    This synth sounds very rough and tough. I like it.

• Hi all!

Minor update is released. Version 1.1 is available in App Store.
    Basic midi support and user preset store is added.

Thank you all for reviewing the app.

Future improvements are planned.

• Bit like time travel these remodelled old synths. As a student of history I find it intriguing.

Isn't it strange how a Cold War and isolation works and lingers? At its height the USSR and soviet bloc had their own synths, their own guitars, amps - the lot ... not pale copies but with a unique twist over time ... lots of physics in it. And that curious very technical, very fundamental, approach is now turning up in this IOS playground courtesy of these recreations. This never really happened for desktop systems because of the capital costs... all very Western initially.

It's actually one of the most interesting dynamics in the whole iOS app caper really - watching how different angles and perspectives from different parts of the planet are merging and re-emerging... whether it's odd Indian scales or Japanese instruments turning up on my radio or a very different approach to sound and engineering ... like Synthscaper et al. Filters and sound quality to die for.

Virtual ANS is probably the prime instance of a Cold War alien gadget ... utterly brilliant, weird - does yer head in. With work, this resurfaced relic could be another one. ANS takes you right back to every opening door on Star Trek ever. ANS and its unique sounds managed to penetrate the Iron Curtain - our ears and sound FX preceded history.

The interesting thing is that the isolation is no longer a factor - from here on it's all utterly global ... that there will likely not be another period where this remarkable fusion of conceptual difference takes place... eventually it will all be similar - like Maccas. Meanwhile I'm enjoying these historical oddities enormously.

I hope the developers put the work in to make this as useful and integrated as it must become - IAA, AB3, AUv3 are basic. But just listen to what that little black box could do!

Спасибо большое

• edited July 2019

@Soundscaper said:
    And that curious very technical, very fundamental, approach is now turning up in this IOS playground courtesy of these recreations. This never really happened for desktop systems because of the capital costs... all very Western initially.

while I agree with the overall sentiment, just thought I might point out that there have been many desktop clones of Russian synths.

https://www.syncersoft.com/polyvoks.htm

• @palm said:

@Soundscaper said:
    And that curious very technical, very fundamental, approach is now turning up in this IOS playground courtesy of these recreations. This never really happened for desktop systems because of the capital costs... all very Western initially.

while I agree with the overall sentiment, just thought I might point out that there have been many desktop clones of Russian synths.

https://www.syncersoft.com/polyvoks.htm

Weird - Chrome is picking the exe file up as malware and not letting me download it.

• @ashekochikhin nice synth! does the midi update mean we should be able to control the synth via midi? I cannot see how. Thanks

• @gusgranite said:
    @ashekochikhin nice synth! does the midi update mean we should be able to control the synth via midi? I cannot see how. Thanks

Now only note msgs are tracked.
    CC editor is going to be added soon

• @ashekochikhin said:

@gusgranite said:
    @ashekochikhin nice synth! does the midi update mean we should be able to control the synth via midi? I cannot see how. Thanks

Thank you. Sorry, I meant ‘note in’. I cannot see how to sequence the synth with midi notes?

• @gusgranite said:

@ashekochikhin said:

@gusgranite said:

Thank you. Sorry, I meant ‘note in’. I cannot see how to sequence the synth with midi notes?

Only external MIDI keyboard/sequencer are acceptable now.
    No internal sequencer is planned to be implemented inside the synth.
    But Audio bus is planned to be integrated soon.

• @ashekochikhin said:
    But Audio bus is planned to be integrated soon

Any news or updates?

👀

• +1.

@DMfan said:

@ashekochikhin said:
    But Audio bus is planned to be integrated soon

Any news or updates?

👀

• edited October 2019

I got given one of these by the promoters of club Avtoban in Yekaterinburg when I played a dj set there many moons ago! It was made by the same state enterprise as the Polyvox. I guess it's the Soviet take on the Solana - oscillator per key - but, it;s got the Polyvok's filter with its crazy resonance! It can be both beauty and the beast!

• Rarer than the Polyvox but equally wonderful - the Aelita!

Everything is Aelita in this ace track!

and the beautiful Alisa 1377