Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grooverider GR-16 Tips And Tricks Megathread!

Comments

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Hey guys, is there a way to midi learn, and any secret preset midi cc’s for part mutes?

Dunno how often this has been asked already. MIDI learn would be quite handy indeed.
    @jimpavloff Do you feel like adding MIDI learn to Groove Rider buttons/knobs/menu entries?

A tedious but working hack using a Bluetooth keyboard or other BT HID is what I've described a few weeks ago:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31245/how-to-remotely-control-any-ios-app

Mapping controls to a fader would invoke finger sliding gestures - it's possible but extremely ugly and unprecise :D

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    Hey guys, is there a way to midi learn, and any secret preset midi cc’s for part mutes?

Quick triple-tap on a knob for midi learn. Or, select midi learn from the Settings menu.

The default mappings are:

I dunno about part mute.

• @wim said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Quick triple-tap on a knob for midi learn. Or, select midi learn from the Settings menu.

The default mappings are:

I dunno about part mute.

The thing is that you cannot do that for individual parts, you cannot learn pads in different modes, you cannot learn mixer controls and you cannot learn settings hidden in menus, as far as I know.
    Groove Rider is really made for being operated on the iPad directly.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@rs2000 said:
    The thing is that you cannot do that for individual parts, you cannot learn pads in different modes, you cannot learn mixer controls and you cannot learn settings hidden in menus, as far as I know.
    Groove Rider is really made for being operated on the iPad directly.

With Midi In Mode set to POLY, you can control the parameters of individual parts by sending on each part’s midi channel. So, with the default, CC-07 channel 1, will control part 1 Level. On channel 2 it will control part 2 Level.

All the controls that are present on the mixer page (except mute / solo (?) and the master channel) are available on the part’s main page, so you do effectively have control over the mixer.

I can’t think of any settings that I’d need during performance or jamming which are buried in menus. During composition I’m normally going to be on the screen anyway. Part mute / solo would be good though.

• You're right, using different MIDI channels for CC is good.
    Well, as for stuff in menus, controlling Part time shift/gate length/velocity in realtime could be fun, as well as being able to change pattern tempo, send fx level, swing amount, key and scale on the fly.
    Other than that, having large pads for part mutes and LEDs above them indicating note activity is not too bad IMHO.

• Yeh, those would be good. Send FX level is controllable though, among some others I missed that are listed in the manual.

• Hmmm. If a hardware controller was "intelligent enough" it could do part mutes by toggling between the current volume level set by the channel fader and zero.

• does groove rider have individual outs?

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@panthera said:
    does groove rider have individual outs?

No, but it does individual stem exports.

• @wim said:

@panthera said:

And Midi output....

I wonder what this Dev is cooking up for us... Been pretty quiet.

• edited April 2019

Is it possible to record the sounds produced through midi-out? I can play most of my virtual synths through gr16 and they record no problem, but when i close the associated synth, the sound reverts to whatever the last grooverider sound happened to be. Btw...this app is the most amazing sound creator i have ever used on my iphone...it not only produces mind-blowing sounds, but it so satisfies the mental addiction of virtual creation...nice nice work Jim. I think even Jimi Hendrix would love this app!

• @baudious

“I think even Jimi Hendrix would love this app!” is a brilliant marketing tagline! 🎸

• @baudious said:
    Is it possible to record the sounds produced through midi-out? I can play most of my virtual synths through gr16 and they record no problem, but when i close the associated synth, the sound reverts to whatever the last grooverider sound happened to be. Btw...this app is the most amazing sound creator i have ever used on my iphone...it not only produces mind-blowing sounds, but it so satisfies the mental addiction of virtual creation...nice nice work Jim. I think even Jimi Hendrix would love this app!

@baudious said:

Can you be more specific about your question regarding recording audio and MIDI out? Do you mean capture the audio anywhere of capture it in GR-16?

If you mention what apps, etc, it'll make a better answer possible.

• @baudious said:

This is not possible. GR is sending midi note data to the external synths as you said, thereby triggering notes in those synths. But what GR is not doing and not able to do is record that audio of those synths playing. The only thing being recorded in GR is the midi note data/patterns, which are being sent to those synths to trigger them. That is why when you close those synths, the sounds disappear and you now you can only hear the sounds in GR, because the recorded notes are still there to trigger the built in sounds. If you want to record the sounds of external synths, you’ll need a daw that can handle AU synths (like vsts on pc) or a daw that can simply record the audio of those synths with no midi data.

If you knew all this already and were asking something different, I apologize. It sounded like you might be new to this and I’m just trying to help

• @db909: but you can record them outside of GR-16.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @db909: but you can record them outside of GR-16.

Yes. And I mentioned that in my previous post.

• Yes I am new to this and appreciate that information...I wasn’t sure if I had my Grooverider setup wrong and had missed something. To be able to include external synth data recording in future updates would be massive and much appreciated Mr. P...I found the same problem in Korg Gadget...You can make any sound through all of your synths with Taipei but cannot record them directly into the scenes...I like that I can at least record them with a DAW but that seems a step unnecessary.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@baudious said:
    Yes I am new to this and appreciate that information...I wasn’t sure if I had my Grooverider setup wrong and had missed something. To be able to include external synth data recording in future updates would be massive and much appreciated Mr. P...I found the same problem in Korg Gadget...You can make any sound through all of your synths with Taipei but cannot record them directly into the scenes...I like that I can at least record them with a DAW but that seems a step unnecessary.

That’s a physical impossibility unless GR-16 was to include the ability to host apps inside itself. There are no plans for that by the developer that I know of. Probably not for Gadget either. One can dream though.

• @baudious said:
    Yes I am new to this and appreciate that information...I wasn’t sure if I had my Grooverider setup wrong and had missed something. To be able to include external synth data recording in future updates would be massive and much appreciated Mr. P...I found the same problem in Korg Gadget...You can make any sound through all of your synths with Taipei but cannot record them directly into the scenes...I like that I can at least record them with a DAW but that seems a step unnecessary.

I think the way to accomplish what you want is to host GR-16 and any external synths in a DAW or AUM or AB3 or ApeMatrix or. the like.

• Being a newb...can I ask where u guys post up songs for the whirled to hear?

• I just finished my first one and want my music family to enjoy it...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:

@panthera said:

And Midi output....

Yeah curious to see what he’s working on lately too.

To be honest if he just made a gr-16 mk2 with built-in sampling & resampling, AU instrument/fx hosting, some op-z style step components, an expandable piano roll view for editing, an extra LFO/Env & Save/load drumkits I think he’d be on to a massive winner....

The core of this app is really great already. Would be a real shame if he didn’t make a mk2.

What say you @jimpavloff :)

😋

• @baudious said:
    I just finished my first one and want my music family to enjoy it...

Just create a free Soundcloud account, handling and uploading is pretty straightforward.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:

@panthera said:

And Midi output....

To be honest if he just made a gr-16 mk2 with built-in sampling & resampling, AU instrument/fx hosting, some op-z style step components, an expandable piano roll view for editing, an extra LFO/Env & Save/load drumkits I think he’d be on to a massive winner....

The core of this app is really great already. Would be a real shame if he didn’t make a mk2.

I doubt this will happen. AudioShare import to the current pad works well (including sampling and processing in AudioShare), parameter locks are quite straightforward, each part can talk to a different synth hosted in apeMatrix etc. and drumkits can be imported as one sliced file, occupying only one part.
    The piano roll would require a considerable re-write of the sequencer code in order to provide what people expect from a piano roll today.

• It’s likely GR-16 is done/complete. Jim made a great app, rolled out a steady stream of awesome updates featuring user requests and knocked it out of the park. We must enjoy it as is

• @rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:

@panthera said:

And Midi output....

I doubt this will happen. AudioShare import to the current pad works well (including sampling and processing in AudioShare), parameter locks are quite straightforward, each part can talk to a different synth hosted in apeMatrix etc. and drumkits can be imported as one sliced file, occupying only one part.
    The piano roll would require a considerable re-write of the sequencer code in order to provide what people expect from a piano roll today.

Yeah, I think this gets filed under easier said than done.

GR-16 is the first groove box thing I've ever used, and I love it. Still a noob, and look forward to this thread being about tips and tricks.

• @db909 said:
    It’s likely GR-16 is done/complete. Jim made a great app, rolled out a steady stream of awesome updates featuring user requests and knocked it out of the park. We must enjoy it as is

+1

Significant workflow changes or modes would probably make a great app worse. There are certainly features that could be tweaked, but I wouldn't want more complexity or to see this turned into BeatHawk (which is great for what it is).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.