Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation LaunchKey Mini Replacement Cable

The cable that came with my Launchkey Mini seems to to have gone bad (I am praying that it is the cable and not the keyboard). Has anyone replaced the cable that came with it. I have a couple of cables that have the same style connectors (that came with various devices) that don't work. But it is possible that those cables are non-standard in spite of the connectors.

I have contacted Novation by email and not heard back. I am hoping that someone here will have experience with a suitable replacement cable.

Comments

• edited March 2019

It’s just a standard cable, plug away :)

• @espiegel123 said:
    The cable that came with my Launchkey Mini seems to to have gone bad (I am praying that it is the cable and not the keyboard). Has anyone replaced the cable that came with it. I have a couple of cables that have the same style connectors (that came with various devices) that don't work. But it is possible that those cables are non-standard in spite of the connectors.

I have contacted Novation by email and not heard back. I am hoping that someone here will have experience with a suitable replacement cable.

How long have you have your launchkey ? How long ago did you email them ? I had a problem with my Launchpad during the warranty, they sent me a new cable, and when that didn't work they then sent me a new Launchpad.

It is just a standard USB cable though.

• @supadom said:

Have you used a standard cable with a launchkey mini? The plugs are standard biut that doesn't always mean the wiring is. I have two charging cables with the same mini-USB to USB connectors but they don't work.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@espiegel123 said:

How long have you have your launchkey ? How long ago did you email them ? I had a problem with my Launchpad during the warranty, they sent me a new cable, and when that didn't work they then sent me a new Launchpad.

It is just a standard USB cable though.

Thanks Andy. I emailed them Friday. I received an email from them last night with follow-up questions.

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

Have you used a standard cable with a launchkey mini? The plugs are standard biut that doesn't always mean the wiring is. I have two charging cables with the same mini-USB to USB connectors but they don't work.

AFAIK there are two types of mini usb cables. The ones that only provide power (they’re generally short and often get bundled with rechargeable devices like bike lights or small radios. Then there’s power and data ones used for many usb midi devices. Just try different ones until you find the one that works.

Novation might send you a replacement though.

• @supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

AFAIK there are two types of mini usb cables. The ones that only provide power (they’re generally short and often get bundled with rechargeable devices like bike lights or small radios. Then there’s power and data ones used for many usb midi devices. Just try different ones until you find the one that works.

Just heard from Novation. They are sending a new cable and confirmed that they have custom pin outs (so standard cables with same connectors won't work).

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

Just heard from Novation. They are sending a new cable and confirmed that they have custom pin outs (so standard cables with same connectors won't work).

Just wanted to update this. Novation's support was excellent. When the new cable didn't solve the problem, they swapped out my Launchkey. The warranties are 2 years.

• @espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

Just wanted to update this. Novation's support was excellent. When the new cable didn't solve the problem, they swapped out my Launchkey. The warranties are 2 years.

The whole custom Novation cable speak sounds like BS to me. Most of decent cables with a standard mini and micro usb sockets are just standard cables other than the data ones likely have another wire. The more expensive ones have shielding etc but that’s another story. I’m glad your problem got solved though. ;)

• @supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

The whole custom Novation cable speak sounds like BS to me. Most of decent cables with a standard mini and micro usb sockets are just standard cables other than the data ones likely have another wire. The more expensive ones have shielding etc but that’s another story. I’m glad your problem got solved though. ;)

Have you tested your theory? You could be right. But the experience I had suggests that the support people may be correct. I tried both types of cables when things were still working sometimes and the non-Novation cables never worked not once out of many times. It could be random -- but that experience combined with confirmation from their support people indicates that they may be telling the truth. When I tried the data cable, it resulted in a weird constant light flashing that indicates that it was certainly not the same.

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

Have you tested your theory? You could be right. But the experience I had suggests that the support people may be correct. I tried both types of cables when things were still working sometimes and the non-Novation cables never worked not once out of many times. It could be random -- but that experience combined with confirmation from their support people indicates that they may be telling the truth. When I tried the data cable, it resulted in a weird constant light flashing that indicates that it was certainly not the same.

Fair enough, it's been a while since I've had any novation gear but even when I had it I never cared about what cable I was using. Now I only have Circuit and have used tones of different cables, long and short and never had a problem.